Burger recipes

frogtox

I love mixing things into my hamburger meat before making patties. Usually it's blue cheese and mushrooms, or olives. But I usually add breadcrumbs too, to help keep everything together. Today I'm going to mix in a bit of pork to hopefully  make it more juicy but I'd love to add something different.

What do you use when you want to spiff up your burgers?

• Moderators

I love using Melissa Joulwan's Moroccan Meatballs recipe to make lamb burgers. 

Side note: just to clarify for anyone who might read this thread in the future: blue cheese and breadcrumbs are not permitted on a Whole30. 

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes! This recipe is amazing. Sometimes I do half beef, half lamb. Always top notch.

I love using Melissa Joulwan's Moroccan Meatballs recipe to make lamb burgers. 

Side note: just to clarify for anyone who might read this thread in the future: blue cheese and breadcrumbs are not permitted on a Whole30. 

That looks great! Probably won't be quite the same with pork/beef but the spices sound yummy.. thanks!

And yes, the reason I wanted ideas was to avoid the blue cheese and breadcrumbs.  :)

• Moderators

That looks great! Probably won't be quite the same with pork/beef but the spices sound yummy.. thanks!

And yes, the reason I wanted ideas was to avoid the blue cheese and breadcrumbs.  :)

That same site has a ton of meatball recipes (and her cookbook Well Fed 2 has a whole section devoted to them) -- most of them could be used for burger patties instead. Here's everything on her site that's labeled meatballs, just in case you want more ideas.

Also, don't rule out toppings for your burgers instead of putting stuff in them -- Elvis Burgers or SB&J Burgers are both good when you're wanting something a little different. (I know they may sound weird, but really, they're yummy.)

I do like the idea of topping the plain burgers. 

Last night I ended up using almond meal and an egg as binder, then added chopped onion, green olive and mushrooms.  My eight year old ate two entire burgers, and my stepson ate three! 

Thanks for all the meatball ideas, too! 

Green peppercorns, an anchovy or 2 and capers all chopped up really small and mixed in. You really don't need breadcrumbs you just have to work the meat enough to bring it all together.

Sounds AWESOME.

I don't usually add anything to the meat. I really like to top with sliced white onion and a drizzle of dijon mustard.  

I made a taco salad yesterday with ground beef and was thinking this would make a good burger: 

• ground meat, 
  • taco seasoning (for me: cumin, chili powder, garlic and onion powder, oregano, red pepper flakes, paprika), 
  • chopped olives, 
  • chopped pickled jalapenos.

Archived