OMG! I'm a Success Story!

LoriLifts

I wanted this to work, I really did.

Before Whole30, I was a 25 year vegetarian. Unfortunately I was also one of those overweight marathoners who relied on carbs for energy.

I didn't like my finish line photos. I would say "I don't look like that, it must be a bad angle". Then I'd eat a bagel.

In April I turned 55 and entered a "mid-life food crises" (yes, I'm going to live to 110 so I'm in mid-life dangit). I've been reading about Whole30/Paleo for quite some time, I was intrigued but un-motivated. Turning 55 was the kick in the pants I needed.

I began turning my diet on it's head a few months ago.

On Memorial Day I gave up grains and began eating meat.

On July 4th I gave up sugar (that was tougher than eating hamburgers again).

In August I finally commited to Whole30. I bought "It Starts With Food" and subscribed to the Whole30 Daily (both were immensely helpful). I blogged most days to stay accountable. Cravings came and went and so did my willpower. No matter if it was an up day or a down one, quitting was not an option.

After a week or two, my pants were getting loose. My mid-afternoon slump was gone and my intense sugar cravings diminished. I was feeling great but still...Is eating all this meat and fat good really good for me? I enjoyed eating bacon and eggs for breakfast but there was a still a part of my brain that was concerned about my health.

On day 30 I scheduled a bloodwork test. I get a yearly one for work so I'd be able to compare last year vs this year.

Here's some of the results...

HDL Cholesterol 113mg (+1 pt from LY)

LDL Cholesterol 71 mg (-5 pts from LY)

Glucose 85 mg ( -2 pts from LY)

GGT Liver test 7 U/L (-5 from LY)

And the best one is my Triglycerides. This year it's 38mg. Last year they were 59! :)

My weight is also down to 136 lbs. Here's a photo from a 12 hour race I completed on August 31.I'm jumping for joy!

post-1121-0-62614900-1347660729_thumb.jp

Thank you Whole30!

Congratulations Lori! That's quite an accomplishment doing a 180 on your diet. Did you get a lot of flack from friends and family? I was leaning toward becoming vegan or pescatarian last fall. Then I read about a vegan who was very sick and ultimately regained her health with a paleo lifestyle. I read everything I could over the winter break. I just wasn't feeling great and knew it was what I was eating, or not eating. When things makes sense it's a lot easier to jump in. Congrats again! -Di

Your story is so inspiring to me. I'd not had meat in close to 7 years when I started the W30. It has been a paradigm shift for me to eat so much meat and my family is surprised to see me trying bacon. But I'm giving it my all and already am feeling some changes. I'll be getting blood work done at the end of the year and hope to get some good news as well. Thanks for sharing! Reading about your journey made my day. :)

Thanks everybody,

DVeep, my husband is really surprised about my carnivore transformation. We've been married for 28 years, he's seen me do some extreme alternative diets. For example, there was the time I was a raw vegan. I wanted to turn our stove into a plant stand! Another time I was doing alot of juicing, whenever we traveled I packed my juicer! I keep assuring him that this is my last "diet transformation". I've been eating so much meat that I think he believes me. He does laugh at my insistence on grass-fed, humanely raised animals. He's a guy that would eat a hotdog from a street vendor!

Rubarb, Good luck on your blood work! I do think a vegetarian or even a vegan or raw diet works for some folks. I seem to be one of the people who feels better as a carnivore. It only took me 25 years to figure it out!

Thanks. And I forgot to mention that I too was doing raw vegan for a while. I've got the dehydrator, the top of the line juicer and a Blendtec. I've taken the juicer on family vacations and have celebrated holidays like Thanksgiving with an all-raw menu. So funny to hear someone else with a similar past. So far, I can't argue with the way I feel when I eat this way. And it much more sustainable than the 21-day juice feast I did! Makes social situations a bit more manageable as well.

Rubarb, Good luck on your blood work! I do think a vegetarian or even a vegan or raw diet works for some folks. I seem to be one of the people who feels better as a carnivore. It only took me 25 years to figure it out!

Archived