Avoiding gallbladder surger with the Whole30

Last week, after an incredibly painful attack that landed me in the emergency room, I learned I have multiple gallstones.  Once the ultrasound confirmed the diagnosis, I realized I have had this issue for over 8 months.  My PCP immediately recommended surgery.  If it has to be, it has to be, but I thought I would pose the question:  Can the Whole30 way of eating help resolve my gallstones and keep them from recurring?  Or, if I treated the problem with medication to dissolve existing stones, might the Whole30 keep them from recurring?

Also, if I go ahead with the surgery, can I continue to eat the Whole30 foods that I love?  I have completed one Whole30 (my attacks were fewer during that time but still occurred) but continued to eat that way about 85% of the time.

Thank you!

I've been searching for a particular post for you but I think it's too old.  So let me ask you,  have you been dieting before this attack?

I ask because  a low fat 'diet' is the culprit for causing a gallbladder not to flush bile out and stones can more easily form.   Low fat dieting is conducive to gallbladder problems, especially in women who are more prone - and becomes more noticeable when a high fat protocol is introduced after dieting. 

Once a gallbladder is removed, a low fat program is then considered the best course of action to ease digestion.   So there's the catch.   If you have surgery,  low fat is the way they'll tell you to go.

I had gallbladder surgery several years ago and I do the Whole30 with no problems with the fat. If you have gallstones, surgery is usually necessary. If one gets stuck in your bile duct, like mine did, you'd let them take it out with a rust knife and no anesthia. I never had such terrible pain in my life. Good luck.

I had my gallbladder removed after being admitted for emergency surgery. It was originally misdiagnosed as kidney stones and I suffered needlessly for 2 weeks - I let the doctor know my disatisfaction. Like Quilter said if a stone gets stuck you will do anything to get it removed. My pain was so bad I wanted to die and that is not an exaggeration

Having said that --- I have had no problem with the fat in Whole 30

Good luck and be well

a surprising number of people have gallstones, sand, or sludge but are asymptomatic. Once you have symptoms, surgery is recommended to avoid a gallbladder attack that sends you into emergency surgery. Removing it in advance is then a preventative measure.

I think once formed, eating Whole30 won't get rid of them. Eating that way may or may not prevent development of more, no way to know. The docs wanted to remove mine after a few attacks but I declined and have been fine as long as I don't eat a too fatty meal. I still eat fat as per template, but avoid pork belly binges and the like. That's just me, YMMV. But if you've been symptomatic, you need to talk to the docs and weigh those risks for yourself.

You can dissolve some kinds of stones over time with medication, but your doctor will know whether this is viable or not for you (some are too large or too many), or whether surgery is a must.

Even if they can be dissolved, the time/pain during the process could make surgery a priority.

• 6 months later...

If you are symptomatic it's unlikely it'll resolve without surgery. I would bite the bullet and get it done if your doc recommends it. Risking pancreatitis by a gallstone lodged in the bile duct can be life threatening. Not worth the risk in my opinion. I worked in critical care for almost 20 years and some of the sickest patients I've seen had necrotic gallbladders from unresolved gallbladder and gallstone issues. I had mine out in 2006 and surgery was a piece of cake. Arrived at the hospital at 11 am pre-op and home by 5 pm. Went on a 3 mile hike 2 days later. Never looked back,

I had a gallbladder attack the night before a scheduled dr's appointment (yay diabetes!) and decided after conversing with multiple docs that removal was the best course of action. Almost a full 2 years later and j don't have to limit my fat intake. But it's also very individualized. Some people will have adverse affects after eating a nice portion of to BBQ while others can eat it but not a lot of salad or veggies.

That being said, this really is a better conversation to have with medical professionals.

I agree with the others. I had gall bladder disease (only working at 27%) and had to have mine removed. I don't have any issues with fat, but do have problems digesting raw veggies. I did have some damage to my small intestine from the undiagnosed disease so now I take a digestive enzyme to keep everything moving nicely. 

Archived