Well Fed's chocolate chili

idauria

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Read through this thread looking to see if I can add some veggies to this (making it for the first time this week, and have some carrots, onion, and celery I'd like to use up)

I see a few folks have done it - anybody else have any opinions on putting some extra vegetables in?

Another option is to chop up and roast those veggies and serve the chili over them. Yummy!

I made this a week or so ago. I've never really liked chili, but for some reason I thought this would be the magical chili that I would fall in love with. No such luck. I ate it, but I'm just not a fan of chili. I do, however, loooooove chicken chili! Anyone have a W30 compliant recipe? :-)

• 4 weeks later...

I made mine with ground beefalo. I can't eat beef (allergy), it was extremely tasty. Yes, chicken stock works just fine for this recipe. My kids and hubby loved it, they were concerned that it didn't have beans, but were sold once they ate it.

• 2 weeks later...

I absolutely throw extra veggies in it.  My kids are Paleo and this chili is the easiest way to get their veggies into them.  I pulse baby carrots in the food processor along with celery and onions.  Sometimes I add extra cans of diced tomatoes.  It doesn't taste good unless the fire roasted tomatoes are in there.  We hate cauliflower so we don't put it over caulirice - we just eat it straight.  Sometimes I will put it over baby spinach and let the spinach wilt from the heat of the chili.  It is one of our Paleo staples.  I freeze it in muffin tins and keep "pucks" in a gallon bag in the freezer for quick meals.  I don't use beef stock ever since I always have supply of homemade chicken stock in the freezer, also frozen in muffin tins and then moved into a gallon freezer bag.

• 10 months later...
  • Administrators

Please post compliant beef broth. Broth I have found has yeast!

Hey KellyJo, unfortunately you have to keep searching, even if we post compliant recipes that are available in our locale, that doesn't necessarily mean that they would be available at yours.  Formulas and recipes can change by region even within the same brand.

You could try making your own broth?  And it doesn't HAVE to be beef broth, either, just so you know.  I've done this chili with beef, chicken, pork and turkey broth, whatever I happen to have in my freezer stash.  Compliant chicken broth is sometimes easier to find than beef.

• Moderators

Ok so is it ok to use chicken broth instead of beef broth?  I cant find compliant beef broth....anyone know a brand I can look for?

Yes, chicken broth will be fine. 

You'll always have to read labels on broth, even the same brand can have one variety that is compliant and another variety that isn't.  Pacific brand and Imagine brand have been mentioned on the forums before as having compliant varieties, and I think someone even found some Swanson's that was. You just have to look.

Hey KellyJo, unfortunately you have to keep searching, even if we post compliant recipes that are available in our locale, that doesn't necessarily mean that they would be available at yours.  Formulas and recipes can change by region even within the same brand.

You could try making your own broth?  And it doesn't HAVE to be beef broth, either, just so you know.  I've done this chili with beef, chicken, pork and turkey broth, whatever I happen to have in my freezer stash.  Compliant chicken broth is sometimes easier to find than beef.

thanks I may just use the chicken I found at Kroger.  Glad to hear this is an option.  Thanks.

Archived