Well Fed's chocolate chili

idauria

I make it with ground turkey and chicken or turkey broth, depending what I have. It's super yummy. Mine has been thick, too, and I cook mine in a crock pot where it doesn't lose much moisture, so I am assuming it's supposed to be think. We eat it on spaghetti squash. Sooo good.

Edit: I forgot to say I have some in the crock pot right now. :D

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

The chili does come out rather thick. The good thing about chili is that you can always add more stock and make it the consistency you like. I also think chicken stock would work just as well. All the flavors marry well so I don't think switching broth would make a difference.

I tried to find compliant Beef broth yesterday at whole foods and could not find any, much to my surprise. They put a lot of stuff in beef broth! I bought veggie stock, wasn't sure how the chicken broth would work, plus I'm not sure there was any compliant anyway... Good grief! The things they put sugar in...

SO making another batch this weekend. Gobbled up the other one fast. LLLLLOVE it with avocado

I've been playing around with this and came up with a recipe we could live with and love. For veggies I use diced carrots, celery, peppers and onions along with baby portabella mushrooms, tomatoes, pumpkin puree and homemade beef stock. So yummy and filling. I keep it in 16 oz containers in the freezer so my hubby can pull one out and toss in the fridge the next day for lunch. I need another freezer just for soups/stews and chili! LOL

I've been playing around with this and came up with a recipe we could live with and love. For veggies I use diced carrots, celery, peppers and onions along with baby portabella mushrooms, tomatoes, pumpkin puree and homemade beef stock. So yummy and filling. I keep it in 16 oz containers in the freezer so my hubby can pull one out and toss in the fridge the next day for lunch. I need another freezer just for soups/stews and chili! LOL

Sharon is this all added to the chocolate chili or is this an entirely different recipe. No meat in it? Either way, it sounds good.

oh yeah, I used the same spices as the recipe calls for and 2lbs of ground beef. To me that's the best combination of veggies for the chili, texture wise. I tried other veggies but the texture of them made me gag, LOL. I now have eight 16oz containers of chili in the freezer.

Oh got it...it sounds really good. The pumpkin puree part really intrigues me.

• 2 weeks later...

I make this in the crockpot often. I don't bother to brown anything. I just add all the ingredients, including the ground meat (still frozen) and cook on low all day. I'm sure it's better cooked the "right" way, but I make this when I need something thrown together in the crockpot all day.

I'm an Okie now, so I have to use Rotel instead of fire roasted tomatoes. I think it's a law here. I doubt Rotel is Whole30 compliant, so I wouldn't use it if I were doing a Whole30 right now.

I just went and looked at my lone can of Rotel in the cupboard. Everything is fine, but I don't know what Calcium Chloride is. I think that's what it says...hard to read because there is a wrinkle in the label right at that word. Off to Google. :)

According to Google, Robin and Tom, Calcium Chloride is okay. It's a type of salt and is used to help tomatoes keep their shape and not break down in the can.

I made this last night too. For those worried about the chocolate-ness it doesn't taste like chocolate at all (to me, anyway). It is just a different flavor profile, less tomatoey, and a nice change. For us it wasn't spicy enough (but a good heat for the kids) so we sprinkled some chipotle powder on top and that was delicious!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest Wheat on Trial

Read through this thread looking to see if I can add some veggies to this (making it for the first time this week, and have some carrots, onion, and celery I'd like to use up)

I see a few folks have done it - anybody else have any opinions on putting some extra vegetables in?

Archived