Starting September 28 anyone else?

suzanyk

I had a difficult weekend lunch today. I was at a competition with 17 year old son at a small town high school. The group of kids ordered pizza for lunch. I had to leave in search of a healthy lunch because I didn't have time to pack anything this morning. It is so hard being at the mercy of fast food places. I managed to find a small cafe that had a salad the turned out to be kinda awful. At least I wasn't around to watch everyone eating pizza. I have done pretty well finding restaurants that have something compliant on the menu. If it doesn't, I tell my family we can't go there. They have gotten better at supporting me in that regard.

I trying really hard to finish this Whole30 strong and not make a mistake at the very end. I don't think it will be too hard to continue this way of eating going forward. I am interested to see how the re-introduction goes. I think the holidays will be a challenge but now that I have the habits down pretty well I am hoping that it will be a little easier than it has been in the past. 

I hope everyone is having a good weekend. I can't believe we only have a few days left. Good luck and finish strong!

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay... made it through the last "official" W30 weekend intact.  Faced the intimate dinner party situation last night and the hostess was so accommodating and wonderful.   She may even start the W30 herself in the next few days.   I feel really good and I know I look better.  My 11 year old told me, "Mom, you have been looking younger lately.   I don't what it is but you seem younger."  That was exciting for a 47 year old busy mom to hear.  

Susanyk- I understand your frustration with not feeling Tiger Blood.  I have a similar experience with sleep. My sleep has not really improved. I was really hoping it would.   My energy is good for someone getting 5-6 hours of unconsecutive sleep. But, I know I need more sleep.  I wake multiple times a night and it takes me up to an hour to fall back to sleep. Could be hormones...

AngieWG- way to be determined not to be derailed by pizza.

I hope everyone is feeling good and ready to take on our next challenge of reintroducing foods and life after W30.

Will probably introduce legumes day 34 or so.  Not in a big hurry to introduce anything in particular.  I don't miss much other than an occasional glass of wine or popcorn ( my arch nemesis behind chocolate).

Would love to hear how the rest of our 9/28 ers are doing.

Have a great day,

Kellygirl

End of Day 28!  Feeling good, and am planning to continue for a bit before reintroduction.  My husband is doing it with me, but started 10/5 due to a previously planned fishing trip.  So, thinking I'll see it through to the end with him, and we can do the reintroduction together.  I've dodged cupcakes at a baby shower this week, someone pushing ravioli samples at a farmer's market, and popcorn today.  I could not have done that before.  I have a business trip planned next week, and I'm preparing to tackle that final challenge-travel.  Have a great week everyone!

I was drugged and raped Friday night. I was only drinking soda water. I was in the hospital all day yesterday because I had some physical injuries and the only things available to eat were off plan. Once I get my head back on straight I will be starting over.

Question for moderator.  I looked around and didn't find this exact question posted anywhere.

All going really well but I have a question about sleep.  The last 7-10 days, I have been waking up 1-2 hours before my alarm (4:45am).  So, starting around 3:00 or 3:30, I am wide awake and feel ready to get up but figure that I should sleep a few more hours at least until 4:45 or else it will be too long of day.  

Prior to my whole30 I almost always ate right before bedtime.  It was usually several cookies and a few big glasses of milk which now I wouldn't dream of doing.  Prior, I went to bed and slept great and completely relied on alarm clock to wake me up.  Do you think that my body is confused now?  It's every morning that I'm waking up early.  I'm not necessarily waking up from hunger.  Just ready to go. I am able to fall back asleep after a few minutes.   Would love to hear if you think i should just get up?  or, if this will resolve over time.  based on other people's post, this is not a big deal but it's kind of odd that it's every morning.  

thanks

Question for moderator.  I looked around and didn't find this exact question posted anywhere.

All going really well but I have a question about sleep.  The last 7-10 days, I have been waking up 1-2 hours before my alarm (4:45am).  So, starting around 3:00 or 3:30, I am wide awake and feel ready to get up but figure that I should sleep a few more hours at least until 4:45 or else it will be too long of day.  

Prior to my whole30 I almost always ate right before bedtime.  It was usually several cookies and a few big glasses of milk which now I wouldn't dream of doing.  Prior, I went to bed and slept great and completely relied on alarm clock to wake me up.  Do you think that my body is confused now?  It's every morning that I'm waking up early.  I'm not necessarily waking up from hunger.  Just ready to go. I am able to fall back asleep after a few minutes.   Would love to hear if you think i should just get up?  or, if this will resolve over time.  based on other people's post, this is not a big deal but it's kind of odd that it's every morning.  

thanks

There are two different things that may be going on here, and I could imagine it might be both. One is that you are awakened by low blood sugar (even if you don't feel hungry). Eating a substantial meal including a portion of starchy carbs in the evening--within 5 hours of bedtime--may help with this.

The other possibility is that your cortisol rhythm is off, causing your cortisol to spike and wake you up a bit earlier than desired. Strategies to shift this back include getting bright natural light first thing in the morning (a walk outdoors is great), avoiding blue light and screens in the evening (some use amber glasses to mitigate the effects of evening light).

Here's an article from paleo mom that does a nice job of explaining how this works: http://www.thepaleomom.com/2014/02/regulating-circadian-rhythm.html

There are two different things that may be going on here, and I could imagine it might be both. One is that you are awakened by low blood sugar (even if you don't feel hungry). Eating a substantial meal including a portion of starchy carbs in the evening--within 5 hours of bedtime--may help with this.

The other possibility is that your cortisol rhythm is off, causing your cortisol to spike and wake you up a bit earlier than desired. Strategies to shift this back include getting bright natural light first thing in the morning (a walk outdoors is great), avoiding blue light and screens in the evening (some use amber glasses to mitigate the effects of evening light).

Here's an article from paleo mom that does a nice job of explaining how this works: http://www.thepaleomom.com/2014/02/regulating-circadian-rhythm.html

Thank you.  Interesting article.  just bought a light box for another family member so will give that a try in addition to other suggestions.  I do get outside most days and have a very big window in my office at work with indirect sunlight.   thanks for the response!!

Like everyone else, Tata, my thoughts and prayers are with you.  W30 will be there when you feel ready and healed enough to restart.  Be good to yourself right now.

Hard to believe it's the eve of our last day.   However, for me, I know it will not be my last day.   I have had some intense cravings for snacking after dinner on fruit or nuts or coconut the past few days.   I crave chocolate but have of course not given in to that.   So, my snacking demon and sugar dragon are still alive and well.  I have been true to W30 minus a few green smoothies early on and I feel so great!  I will weigh myself Wed to put a number to the results but one of the best aspects of the W30 is not using the scale to judge how I feel physically.   That number is not important to me now.  I can see and feel the effects of clean, W30 eating.  Don't need the scale to affirm that.  I can wear my "skinny jeans" comfortably and skin and eyes are clear.   But, I know I need to abstain from sugar and refined carbs for longer and I will continue until I feel solid in my ability to enjoy these things is moderation from time to time not as a reprieve for the stress I may feel in my daily life. 

Looking forward to hearing how we all did (so far) on Wed!

Kellygirl

Well I have had a challenging Day 30. I volunteer at my church with a group of women that put together funeral receptions for the family. Today was my day to volunteer. They had amazing chocolate and pumpkin desserts, sandwiches, chips, potato salad and deviled eggs. I did not even lick my fingers clean when dishing up the food. I was so proud of myself. In the past I would have been all over that food when it came time to eat. This time I had a couple deviled eggs and some fruit. I took a LaraBar with me because I knew there wouldn't be anything that I could eat. I will make sure and have a really clean and filling meal tonight. I just didn't want to mess up on the last day of this journey. 

I am so proud of the progress that I have made as a result of doing this Whole30. It has really opened my eyes to all of the unhealthy foods that I have allowed in my life for so long. I am looking forward to continuing to make good choices and staying as close to the Whole30 eating plan as I can.

I am kinda looking forward to weighing tomorrow. I want to know if I did lose weight. But I have to remember (like Kellygirl said) that the number is not important. I know I feel better eating this way and even if I haven't lost that much I know this is the best way for me to be eating going forward. 

So bring on the re-introductions in a few days! I know there are things that I won't be adding back permanently but it will be interesting to see how I feel now that the Whole30 is complete.

So Happy Day 30 and I will see you tomorrow with results. 

Day 31 everyone!! Congratulations to all of us!

I feel confident and super proud of myself. I can't believe I survived last weekend (1 wedding, 1 bday party + PMS cravings!!) but here we are.

I don't feel AMAZING yet, but I do feel a lot better. 

I read the list of non-scale victories available on the Whole30 book and I checked more items than I imagined. 

Overall, my NSVs:

- Better skin

- Lost 2kg

- I'm not bloated

- Increased energy

- Rings are loosen even though it's 40°C outside

- No more allergies

- No more headaches

I would like to go on another 10 days so I could really feel the Tiger Blood, end my carb cravings and see my tendinitis go away. But my bda is on November 6th and I want to eat a slice of cake. So my plan is: reintroduction (bday on gluten day) + 15 whole30 days later. 

This morning I had peanut butter and 30 minutes later I could feel a heart burn + acid reflux! Never happened before early in the morning, that was a first.

How's everyone doing?

We did it! I'm feeling really great! My skin is clearer, I'm less bloated (especially in my tummy), no food cravings, I feel like I could keep going without eating sweets, and I got on the scale this morning and I'm down 6.5 lbs. I feel like food just tastes better in general. Oh and I sometimes get these nasty feeling rashes on my fingertips and hands and it is completely gone! 

We started the reintro today because I'm really interested in seeing what is causing my skin issues so I can continue to avoid it. Today we are doing dairy. I had a yogurt today for breakfast with my eggs and spinach, I'm going to have a glass of milk for lunch, and we are having lettuce wrapped tacos tonight with cheese and sour cream. Hopefully I don't feel like complete crap, but we'll see. So far I feel ok. My tummy was a bit crampy this morning but I also had to give a lecture so I was a bit nervous. Hard to tell if it was nerves or the yogurt. 

What is everyone's plan for reintro?

Congrats to all that stuck with this challenge. We all know it isn't easy!

I lost 4 lbs but as I said a few posts ago, this is a lifestyle way of eating for me. I already know from previous W30 what foods to stay away from so I will take a week "off" having a few non-compliant foods, then continue with W30 next Tuesday for another 30 days. Maybe I'll see some of you then!

Hooray to us all!!  It really did zip by.  I cannot believe it has been 30 days since I have tasted chocolate ( other than the Well Fed chocolate chili )!   

So my takeaways-

Lost 6 lbs ( 1/2 lb away from goal weight -- basically, I'm there!) 

hair shiny

skin clearer

mood is soooo much more upbeat and positive

more energy

more zest for life ( I usually feel like pulling in this time of year because I get SAD (seasonal affect disorder -- basically winter blues) I feel like going out and doing stuff.

tummy not bloated

overall I just feel really good.

So, still feeling the sugar and carb dragon lurking.   Will hold of on reintro for a few more days and then start with something really safe like legumes, then diary.

I am so proud of us!   Thank you for staying online and helping me to feel accountable and like I wanted to be part of the successful team.   I am going to join a post-W30 group or some reintro group to stay on track.  As I mentioned, last year when I did W30, I just went off without a proper reintro so I didn't know what was causing the acne and energy drain and bloat.  This time, I am on a mission to do it with patience and purpose.

CONGRATULATIONS TEAM SEPT 28!    I will continue to check in if you do!

XO

Kellygirl 

Yeah!  We made it.  So proud of everyone in the group.  congrats!  

I think the no-cheat rule was critical for me.  It's such a slippery slope.  

My NSV are:  

skin is better 

less stomach aches

more stable energy level through out day

I am still having hard time with 3 meals but am doing WAY less snacking and when I do it's healthier (mini meal) and not tons of junk.  

I had milk in coffee this morning but other than that have no urge to eat other stuff like bread, cookies or candy.   Not even sure what I'll add back in when.  

I plan to do another W30 in next few months but am going to try to incorporate what I've learned for a few weeks/months. 

Thanks everyone for the support.  This has been an amazing experience and definitely worth the effort.  It was the hardest in the beginning but not so hard toward the end.  

I am so glad to read everyone's posts and all of your successes. CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I can't believe it is the end of the Whole30.

I was a little worried about weighing today because I was afraid I would be disappointed but I wasn't. I lost 10.4 pounds! I felt really good because of all of the hard work that I put into staying compliant and going the distance and not giving up.

My NSV are:

my body feeling lighter and much less bloated

much better mood overall

better sleep

less stomach issues

proud of myself for sticking too it

I started the reintroduction today by having a non gluten alcoholic drink. I went to a mexican restaurant with a friend and had a margarita. I hardly ever drink but I wanted to know how I would feel for future reference and I wanted to celebrate all my Whole30 victories. It seemed to be ok but we will see over the next couple of days. I am going to actually expand the reintro schedule and break out corn from the other non gluten grains to see if there is a difference. 

I am also probably going to join a reintroduction forum just to stay in touch. I noticed there was on group that finished their Whole30 on 9/21 and they welcome anyone. If someone starts a forum please post here so we will all know. I will check back here to see if people are still posting.

Good luck to everyone who is doing a little extra time on the Whole30 and also to everyone doing reintroduction. Thank you for all of your support during this process. I would have been alot harder without it. 

Archived