How much is "added" juice?

Alliea

I read that thing about a small amount of added fruit juice being okay, and cheerfully assumed it meant I could keep flavoring my fizzy water with juice (about 3 oz juice to 8 or 10 ounces of fizzy max of twice per day). After more reading, I'm starting to think I don't have that quite right, even if it is 100 percent juice. Thoughts?

Alliea -

Yes...and no. The problem with juice is that it's like nature's candy. All of the sugar from the fruit, none of the fiber (or other elements) to help your body deal with it. So, yeah, we'd rather you didn't add more than a few ounces of juice to a sauce or a meal as an ingredient, but we definitely want you to skip out on drinking it for the rest of your program.

No reason to start over, but good knowledge to have moving forward :0)

• Moderators

The fruit juice as a sweetener is meant for cooking.

There are several ways I've used apple juice as a sweetener. 1) When making pickles, I simmer my cucumbers in 1/3 apple cider and 2/3 apple cider vinegar plus spices. 2) I simmered fresh cranberries in apple cider to take the edge off of them before I mixed them with cut up apple to make a cranberry-apple dessert.

Archived