Starting October 1 - Who's with me?

praxisproject

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good day 2 for me. I had a few too many dates apparently, and a few too many nuts which I'd mistakenly used as protein source, but other than that, I'd say it was a really good day. No Diet coke and no sugar for 2 solid days--that's huge. Hope you all are doing well, and feeling good. I have to admit my will power regarding the Diet Cokes is becoming a bit slushy, so tomorrow will be interesting...

you can bust the diet coke habit - hang in there!

Sugarless gum has artificial sweeteners in it. No gum while on your Whole30.

thanks QuilterInVA, I know, what I wrote was confusing. What I meant was that I didn't realize how much I was relying on things like sugarless gum to get me through the day. It's quite noticeable when you stop using it, or any of the other many things. Thanks so much for your helpfulness.

(ps at first I thought your name was "Quitter in VA" - obviously you are no quitter!

Not to spam everyone with lots of posts but I wanted to admit to the group that this has already been quite a fundamental couple of days for me. I have been a vegetarian or vegan since I was 13, and I am now 40. I just started eating fish two days ago. Once I got over the mental mind*%!k, I realized my body was absolutely singing for it. I don't want to eat anything else! Of course I am, and I am skilled at and obsessed with veggies, as a result of so many years of decently healthy vegetarian cooking. But wow, I did not expect to feel this excited about eating ALL THE FISHES. 

Win. Keep up the strong work everyone.

Joining a few days late this month.... I think this is my 6th whole30. i've lost count! I need to get my body in check again and get back in touch with eating whole foods. We're also starting to think about expanding the family again and I'm 100% positive that doing a whole30 and taking care of my body will help (it did last time!).

Day 3

Went to Square & Compass cafe this morning, made some minor changes to one of their menu items (no tamari, no toast): Broccolini bowl, avocado, spinach, activated almonds, poached eggs, dukkah. It was a little dry without the tamari, so I added some homemade mayo, which I took with me, along with coconut milk for my coffee  yum! and they had passionfruit Mojo Kombucha, one of my favourites :)

Leftover chicken wings & salad for dinner.

Prep for another day: cooking a pork belly (finding compliant bacon here is harder than a golden goose lol)

Day 3

Went to Square & Compass cafe this morning, made some minor changes to one of their menu items (no tamari, no toast): Broccolini bowl, avocado, spinach, activated almonds, poached eggs, dukkah. It was a little dry without the tamari, so I added some homemade mayo, which I took with me, along with coconut milk for my coffee  yum! and they had passionfruit Mojo Kombucha, one of my favourites :)

Leftover chicken wings & salad for dinner.

Prep for another day: cooking a pork belly (finding compliant bacon here is harder than a golden goose lol)

only two meals a day, huh praxisproject? I need to eat bigger in the early part of the day, I think. I also work out nearly every day, so I am fairly hungry by midday, I don't know if two would be enough. do you just eat enough to count for 1.5 meals at each sitting? thank you.

Hello All, 

Looks like we have a nice group going here! I can't believe it is day 4 already (round 3 for me). Seems to go faster each time. I will say to all of you on your first journey it will get easier. One thing I have learned that it is best to focus on all the healthy foods you can have, maybe try a vegetable you have never eaten before or a new recipe. Don't obsess on the foods you can't have. I remember thinking I could never live without Diet Coke (we are talking a 30+ years 1-2 a day habit) or that I could never have my coffee without milk.... but I haven't wanted either of those things since my first whole 30 back in April. There are foods I will eat when I'm not doing a whole 30 but it's only 26 more days and then I can choose to have them again. 

Love reading about everyone's experiences, Keep up the good Work!!

Happy Sunday!

Hiya - just finished day 4.  So far, no ill effects other than reaching for the milk for my coffee before realising it's not an option. 

Before starting, I've been eating a primarily grain-free paleo diet but have still had coffee with milk and some sugar and a glass (or two) of wine each night.  I expected to feel some detox effects by now, but have been pleasantly surprised that I haven't.  I wonder if they're still to come - has anyone else has a delayed detox reaction?

I've also been primarily a vegetarian for the past 4 years but have recently started eating fish the past few months.  For the Whole30, I'm taking the advice of the authors and adding in some meat but it just feels so greasy and heavy that I don't know if I want to continue eating meat for the duration.  Any advice?  

Thanks!!

Aimee

I've also been primarily a vegetarian for the past 4 years but have recently started eating fish the past few months.  For the Whole30, I'm taking the advice of the authors and adding in some meat but it just feels so greasy and heavy that I don't know if I want to continue eating meat for the duration.  Any advice?  

Hi Aimee,

You may find this article helpful:http://whole9life.com/2013/02/eating-meat-a-primer-for-the-meat-challenged-2/

Just finished cleaning the kitchen after my cook up, Mellisa Joulwan style, for this week. I made Chocolate Chili, meatloaf, turkey cranberry meatballs, golden cauliflower soup, velvety butternut squash with pecans, spaghetti squash, sunshine sauce and red pepper sauce. I have Kaula Pork ready to go at 8 pm tonight. I has to cook 16 hours on low in the crockpot. I am a widow so a lot of this went into the freezer for those days I don't want to cook. I also have some chicken breasts in brine that I'll grill tomorrow. My meal prep for the week will be just to reheat, make veggies or salad and enjoy.

If you are having a problem eating 3 times a day, even if you aren't hungry prepare the meal and eat what you can and save the rest for later. Doing this you'll soon be getting the optimum benefits of the program. 

Thanks very much, Chris.  I think I will take it slow.  Unfortunately I'm allergic to eggs so that is further limiting me, but I'll press on with small amounts of meat.  I've also made a fabulous coconut almond butter thai dressing that I'm using on salads and roast veg, so that's upping my protein a little too.  

It's day 5 and still no ill effects whatsoever.  Pain in my hip that has been around for years is now going away and arthritis in my big toe seems much better.  All good so far!! 

Thanks again, 

Aimee

Thanks very much, Chris.  I think I will take it slow.  Unfortunately I'm allergic to eggs so that is further limiting me, but I'll press on with small amounts of meat.  I've also made a fabulous coconut almond butter thai dressing that I'm using on salads and roast veg, so that's upping my protein a little too.  

Just to clarify, nuts and nut butters are fats on a Whole30 and are recommended to be limited.

Good Morning! Just thought I'd check in and say "hi" to everyone....Day 5 already! Wow. It's going fast. This is actually the most rewarding program I've ever followed. The rewards are very quick in coming, I'm finding, especially when the focus is not on he scale. After the first couple of days, I've got things running a bit more smoothly. No more relying on dates and nuts as my go to snack, but now have veges ready to go, and easy meals to make. It's definitely important to be prepared. I'm taking a yoga class this morning, walked 4.5 miles yesterday...trying to add in daily exercise early on to see if that makes a difference over the thirty days. I hope you all have a great day 5

NSVs for me are also very evident! I can already fit back into my pants - though part of that is no doubt due to time of the month stuff, I'll take it. But more importantly, I just *feel* so much better. I was retaining so much water and bloat that I just felt bad - clothes were uncomfortably tight, my stomach hurt frequently. Now I am noticing things that are a little weirder too: like - my gums are less puffy. It's an easy path from less inflammation to oral health, and of course we are all hyper-aware about any change right now, but it is noticeable.

Onward friends, a few tired spells are more than worth these changes for me. Didn't realize how much what I was eating was affecting each moment of my day.

Hi, we're in, started Oct 1 along with sis in law, neice, Hubby (kinda, he fell off wagon already but says he will try 90%, daughter (13) who's not really happy about it.

I feel really good. just getting used to planning meals and trying new recipes

Hi all! I started on October 1 as well. Didn't read the book but I think I might have to go back and do that if I can find it. I have limited time to prepare food and am an inefficient cook, with only limited experience cooking meat (10-year vegetarian and only limited meat after that), and I think I've been relying on fruit, coconut and almond butter too much. I've gotten a bunch of paleo cookbooks out of the library and am finding lots of options that are Whole30-compliant, but haven't made any of them yet. Luckily there are a few places in town that cater to paleo diets. So far I've visited three! 

Today on Day 5 I've been hungry all morning! Two hard-boiled eggs, some vegetables, a berry smoothie and handful of almonds later, I'm looking forward to lunch. Why am I so hungry?

I haven't had too many bad effects, though Day 3 was tiring. I'm interested to see where this takes me and glad to have found this group!

Amanda

Today on Day 5 I've been hungry all morning! Two hard-boiled eggs, some vegetables, a berry smoothie and handful of almonds later, I'm looking forward to lunch. Why am I so hungry?

You're most likely hungry because you didn't eat enough. When eggs are your only source of protein in a meal a serving is the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand, which is 3-4 for most people. Smoothies (which are discouraged on Whole30) are usually fruit heavy, and are digested much more quickly than solid food leaving you less satiated. Fruit can also spike blood sugar, resulting in a crash a little later which can be accompanied by faux hunger, fatigue & lack of focus. Nuts are a fat source on Whole30.

Take another look at the recommended meal template & try to build each of your meals to meet that for optimum results. If you opt to eat fruit (many don't as it can feed the sugar dragon) maybe hold it back for meal 2 or 3.

only two meals a day, huh praxisproject? I need to eat bigger in the early part of the day, I think. I also work out nearly every day, so I am fairly hungry by midday, I don't know if two would be enough. do you just eat enough to count for 1.5 meals at each sitting? thank you.

I sometimes have appetite troubles when I start a W30, as I have cortisone problems. This was a really big breakfast and eaten slowly :)

Three meals is best, but if you have medical problems, you may need more mini meals. I work best when I don't skip meals, but when I make big changes to my food, sometimes it takes a few days to adjust :) Prior to this Whole30, I had not been eating well (I got #paleolazy ), recovering from surgery and illness.

I have limited time to prepare food and am an inefficient cook, with only limited experience cooking meat (10-year vegetarian and only limited meat after that), and I think I've been relying on fruit, coconut and almond butter too much. I've gotten a bunch of paleo cookbooks out of the library and am finding lots of options that are Whole30-compliant, but haven't made any of them yet.

I highly recommend Well Fed recipes, there's lots of fast tips and tricks, like Hot Plates, as well as a lot of variety.

I love her Silky Gingered Soup (it's almost vegetarian, but with all the extra nutrition of bone broth). Be brave with meat, try some new things. I found out I actually quite like liver (who knew!?!) and my body absolutely loves it :)

Day 6 and all is going really well.  I've accepted that I need to reintroduce meat protein into my diet but am finding ways of doing this that don't overwhelm me with the perceived uncleanliness of it.  Mostly fish and parma ham around melon, etc.  

My hip pain is entirely gone and I keep on trying to 'find it' again to no avail - yay!!  I also am not having a drop in energy in the afternoons, which is great.  I'm most proud of the fact that I'm doing this while my husband is away so I've got full responsibility for the kids which would sometimes stress me out a bit and I was worried about going through detox during that.  However, it's made me calmer so happy days.  

Hope everyone else is doing well.  

Archived