Starting October 1 - Who's with me?

praxisproject

Hey squad. Day 9 today and I am FINALLY starting to see the "magic". I woke up this morning feeling amazing - not anxious, boundless energy, and excited about the day ahead (which is always hard for me on a Friday!) Yesterday was also the first day that I truly got through the day without feeling hungry or like I needed to run out and buy a donut. Have also managed to stay pretty much entirely on track, despite having to attend a film premiere last weekend that had an afterparty resembling a very lavish barmitzvah. I had friends in town this week and convinced them to come to a healthy restaurant with me for dinner (Ellary's Greens in New York if anyone is interested - it's great!)

Mostly got through the week on Mel Joulwan's Chocolate Chilli and Silky Gingered Zucchini Soup - excited to shop and try a bunch of new recipes this weekend.

Hope everyone is feeling similarly awesome and that you all have a terrific weekend! 

so proud of you!

I am starting to come out of the tired fog too and I'm so relieved. Looking forward to cooking up lots of good stuff this weekend, including that soup!

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so proud of you!

I am starting to come out of the tired fog too and I'm so relieved. Looking forward to cooking up lots of good stuff this weekend, including that soup!

Thanks, that's a really nice thing to say! Have a great weekend. I'm going to venture into some kind of meatball/cauliflower rice thing...

Thanks, that's a really nice thing to say! Have a great weekend. I'm going to venture into some kind of meatball/cauliflower rice thing...

I am going to do this:

http://stupideasypaleo.com/2013/03/08/indian-pineapple-cauliflower-rice/

just did this (wow, even without bacon):

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/100734097968/zenbellys-pan-roasted-chicken-with-bacon-and

Morning,

Hey, it's day 10 and I sort of want to quit. I'm tired of feeling sluggish, I missed my daughter's school homecoming because, well, I fell asleep and woke up late. It wasn't a big a deal, but I'm slowly losing my willpower. I know I've come a long way in 10 days, so there is a huge part of me that says "stick with it" but there's this tugging feeling that's telling me "time to live a little!" Honestly, I don't even know what "living a little" means right now...I think it means trying the Larabar in the pantry I've been holding on to in case of emergencies. I think what I miss right now is convenience and the sound of the wrapper unwrapping a breakfast bar, and that hit of sweetness I'd get with the first bite. i think I'm going nuts, frankly. Also, I had a dream about Sally Jesse Raphael last night. We were deciding whether or not she should do a nighttime talk show. It was dark and we were on a train circa Oriental Express...what the heck is that all about?

Morning,

Hey, it's day 10 and I sort of want to quit. I'm tired of feeling sluggish, I missed my daughter's school homecoming because, well, I fell asleep and woke up late. It wasn't a big a deal, but I'm slowly losing my willpower. I know I've come a long way in 10 days, so there is a huge part of me that says "stick with it" but there's this tugging feeling that's telling me "time to live a little!" Honestly, I don't even know what "living a little" means right now...I think it means trying the Larabar in the pantry I've been holding on to in case of emergencies. I think what I miss right now is convenience and the sound of the wrapper unwrapping a breakfast bar, and that hit of sweetness I'd get with the first bite. i think I'm going nuts, frankly. Also, I had a dream about Sally Jesse Raphael last night. We were deciding whether or not she should do a nighttime talk show. It was dark and we were on a train circa Oriental Express...what the heck is that all about?

They say day 10 is the one when most people quit. Sounds like you are right on schedule - but you aren't going to quit, are you? you are a THIRD of the way there. say it to yourself - you AREN'T GOING OUT LIKE THIS.

They say day 10 is the one when most people quit. Sounds like you are right on schedule - but you aren't going to quit, are you? you are a THIRD of the way there. say it to yourself - you AREN'T GOING OUT LIKE THIS.

Really? No, I don't want to be one of "those people". Ok...somehow I've got to pull myself together. Thanks for the support.

Hey GetnFitr - you can totally do this. The first third is the hardest, but you've done an amazing job making it this far - we all have. Totally hear you on the sluggish thing; I just got past that hump and finally feel great but it took me a while and I was worried I'd feel exhausted the whole time. For me I think I realized that it's truly about slaying the sugar dragon - so don't eat fruit a couple of hours before bed. Find some way to see it all as one amazing big treat for yourself and your body. I'm sort of treating it like its some grand adventure and that's kept it enjoyable enough for me to keep going. Whether it's making yourself a huge breakfast this weekend (I just bought some golden cippolini onions and caramelized them with some tomatoes and spinach, and served with fried eggs and leftover chili) or going for a long walk - just revel in your ability to keep making these great choices.

Also if you want to eat the stupid Larabar, do it. I don't think they're that great. If you've been eating right the last 10 days, the Larabar will probably give you a headache - but at least you'll get it out of your system.

I believe in you. And I believe in my damn self. And that is something new for me, too. xx

Hey GetnFitr - you can totally do this. The first third is the hardest, but you've done an amazing job making it this far - we all have. Totally hear you on the sluggish thing; I just got past that hump and finally feel great but it took me a while and I was worried I'd feel exhausted the whole time. For me I think I realized that it's truly about slaying the sugar dragon - so don't eat fruit a couple of hours before bed. Find some way to see it all as one amazing big treat for yourself and your body. I'm sort of treating it like its some grand adventure and that's kept it enjoyable enough for me to keep going. Whether it's making yourself a huge breakfast this weekend (I just bought some golden cippolini onions and caramelized them with some tomatoes and spinach, and served with fried eggs and leftover chili) or going for a long walk - just revel in your ability to keep making these great choices.

Also if you want to eat the stupid Larabar, do it. I don't think they're that great. If you've been eating right the last 10 days, the Larabar will probably give you a headache - but at least you'll get it out of your system.

I believe in you. And I believe in my damn self. And that is something new for me, too. xx

I was so worried I'd be exhausted all month - glad to hear I wasn't alone in that - but I have definitely broken through to the energy side again. making a lot of fancy recipes this weekend and I am loving it (disclaimer: I love to cook and BAKE so I need an outlet as I change the way I eat...)

I was so worried I'd be exhausted all month - glad to hear I wasn't alone in that - but I have definitely broken through to the energy side again. making a lot of fancy recipes this weekend and I am loving it (disclaimer: I love to cook and BAKE so I need an outlet as I change the way I eat...)

Ok, so it sounds like I'm not alone on the exhaustion part of things...I have stuck with it today, haven't gone off the rails, or anything like that. Just cursing my way thru the day, is all! I'm sure it'll be better tomorrow.

Lippers-Thanks for the big boost of confidence! I really needed it this morning. Things are much better now. Not super great, but at least I don't feel like giving up. I'm hoping my energy level turns around pretty soon. That'd be a real help at this stage of the game. I'm not quite up to making any fancy meals, that seems to exhausting right now, so I'm sticking to the basics, which are just fine and get the job done.

okay everyone - I had my first bizarre "cheating" dream, where you eat non-whole30 food and then feel super guilty. It was some kind of weird muffin in the middle of a very strange dream. In my dream, I thought to myself, okay, well, I have to start over so this is going to be a whole40... so at least I was being dedicated in my sleep. I couldn't believe it, but I did wake up feeling guilty. Also having the fun indigestion, tight pants thing right on schedule. I have been like clockwork with the timeline, it's kind of amazing. So glad we have the benefit of hearing about the average experiences so that we can take comfort in weird symptoms and have faith in the process. I am a survey researcher so I believe in the population average experience!

Have been cooking lots this weekend, stocking up for the week. One of the NSVs of this weekend: I had - until I started whole30 - been a vegetarian for a very long time. I did have some gorgeous cookbooks with non-veg recipes in them that I had always just bypassed, but now I can make them (with appropriate substitutions of course, to stay compliant). Most I'll save til after the 30 days but it's fun to have things to anticipate. Smitten Kitchen cookbook? I'm talking about you, Deb. The biggest NSV so far? The relief at knowing that I am doing something sustainable. I can keep dreaming about delicious food and feeling full and satisfied even after the "program" ends. There is nothing like that feeling of relief. I think Melissa & Dallas have called it "food freedom."

day 6 here.  Doing Ok.  I am realizing a few things like how I bribe myself with food to do difficult things.  As I was quitting stuff getting ready for the W30 I found out diet coke was one of my comfort foods. That seems a bit twisted to me but it is true. I have been eating plenty of starchy veg, fats, and salt but I am more interested in an elimination diet than weight loss( not that I'd complain).  I think I am mourning convenience more that sugar.    It is a little bit like when my daughter developed food allergies, there is a lot more planning to do and that includes cooking.  I am trying to schedule 4 half hour prep times during my week day mornings. The good thing about coming form the food allergy world is I absolutely know people can live full and happy lives without X food and in fact with far fewer foods than are on the whole30. Wishing you all a good week.

day 6 here.  Doing Ok.  I am realizing a few things like how I bribe myself with food to do difficult things.  As I was quitting stuff getting ready for the W30 I found out diet coke was one of my comfort foods. That seems a bit twisted to me but it is true. I have been eating plenty of starchy veg, fats, and salt but I am more interested in an elimination diet than weight loss( not that I'd complain).  I think I am mourning convenience more that sugar.    It is a little bit like when my daughter developed food allergies, there is a lot more planning to do and that includes cooking.  I am trying to schedule 4 half hour prep times during my week day mornings. The good thing about coming form the food allergy world is I absolutely know people can live full and happy lives without X food and in fact with far fewer foods than are on the whole30. Wishing you all a good week.

I hear you about the food bribes and rewards! I have to remind myself that I am not a dog who needs a treat for behaving.  :)

HI all, 

Haven't checked in for a few days but all is going well on the Whole30 for me.  I've survived a week of hubby being away and remained calm (mostly) with the kids through the 'kill all things' phase.  The hardest part for me is making sure I've got enough variety in what I'm making - for some reason before I started Whole30 I was loving my sweet potatoes and I haven't wanted any since.  

Considering how easy they make mealtimes, I think it's time to stock up again.  I also seem to have developed a slight over-reliance on prosciutto - as a previous veggie before this, it's an easy way for me to incorporate meat protein into a meal but is it wrong to have this with one meal a day, every day?  I'm allergic to eggs so they're not an option.  I'm starting to look into roasts and that sort of thing, but I'd rather my veggie kids didn't cotton on to what I'm eating!  Perhaps a boiled chicken would work as it could then be broken up into pieces and put in the fridge...  I welcome other sneaky meat options.  

Thanks, 

Aimee

Happy Monday morning. Hope everyone had a good weekend. Weird food dream of the night report: fried chicken- the bad kind. And I think I weighed myself in my dream... what a rebel. The other strange thing is that as I am having these "illicit" food dreams, I am also having dreams about my ex-husband. Luckily we have a wonderful relationship even now, but I think the old food patterns were linked to my old life with him a bit (not his fault, just funny what your mind puts together)...

Have a wonderful, spirited Monday everyone.

Hi all, going to make my Spanish tortilla  for the week.  Going to try 3/4 pound potatoes to 12 eggs and see if that is too little potato. I need a breakfast I can reheat quickly on weekday mornings.  While I do that going to check how many eggs I can actually hold in 1 hand to see how many servings it should be. 

I am not big on leftovers of other meals for breakfast.  What seems perfectly flavored for dinner or lunch seems nastily over spiced in the morning.

Day 12 and generally frustrated at the number of products with sugar, sweetener or other products in them.  Bought a Bioglan Supergreen supplement thinking it would be entirely greens like my previous one and after smelling it upon opening, realised it's got stevia and oat bran in it.  Rubbish.  Guess I'll order my pure version again and use this one for the hubby. 

Looking through meat is also a major problem - tons of sugar added to meat products.  WHY??? 

Day 12 and generally frustrated at the number of products with sugar, sweetener or other products in them.  Bought a Bioglan Supergreen supplement thinking it would be entirely greens like my previous one and after smelling it upon opening, realised it's got stevia and oat bran in it.  Rubbish.  Guess I'll order my pure version again and use this one for the hubby. 

Looking through meat is also a major problem - tons of sugar added to meat products.  WHY??? 

If you're eating the recommended quantities of veg on your Whole30 you'll have no real need for a Supergreen supplement.

I'd save your money & use it on better quality meat.

Just wanted to check in and give a quick update. I am trying my best to stay on plan while I prepare for surgery (which is now scheduled for a week from today), but honestly over the weekend I did allow myself a few non compliant foods. I am happy that I haven't totally turned to food for comfort but I decided I can't beat myself up right now. I feel bad posting in this thread because I am not on the plan, so I will not continue to post here. I want to THANK so many of you for your well wishes and I welcome any private messages if you want to stay in touch. I will be back for another Whole 30 = most likely after the holidays so I know I will meet up with some of you again. 

Good luck as you continue this Journey - you are doing great and are almost half way there!!!

Just wanted to check in and give a quick update. I am trying my best to stay on plan while I prepare for surgery (which is now scheduled for a week from today), but honestly over the weekend I did allow myself a few non compliant foods. I am happy that I haven't totally turned to food for comfort but I decided I can't beat myself up right now. I feel bad posting in this thread because I am not on the plan, so I will not continue to post here. I want to THANK so many of you for your well wishes and I welcome any private messages if you want to stay in touch. I will be back for another Whole 30 = most likely after the holidays so I know I will meet up with some of you again. 

Good luck as you continue this Journey - you are doing great and are almost half way there!!!

We are thinking of you Susabella627 and there is no reason for you not to post if you want to. You are doing a beautiful job coping. Just focus on yourself and what you need right now for your treatment plan and your ability to manage your stress and your life.  You are an inspiration to me!

Hi all, I don't know why my posts are being added, I'm computer illiterate so evidently doing something wrong, so i'll try again today :)

just checking in, I can read messages through my email, Thank God. I have been inspired and encouraged by you all!

I haven't had that "kill all things" phase! I dont' think my husb could handle that!! LOL

I have been feeling great actually. I can see and feel a difference in my body esp around middle. the only thing I "miss" is coffee because I do not like it black.

I'm getting used to real breakfast each day! I love eggs, added veggies and salsa, sweet potatoes. Tried some new recipes from book and other sites, frittata, pork loin, I made squash casserole with butternut squash, coconut milk, vanilla, raisins, walnuts, cinnamon. next time i'll add sweet potato to it also. I do snack on nuts and grapes sometimes. This is expensive though I must say. My daughter (13) and husb haven been hanging in there 90% they've had cheats. I found Tessamee mayo which has been a blessing! and some dressings.

STAY ENCOURAGED ALL!! WE CAN DO THIS! I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO SEE WHAT THE END WILL BE. I have decided already to keep eating this way most of the time!

Have a wonderfully blessed Day! ON PURPOSE  :)

Charlene

I'll be keeping you in my thoughts, Susabella. You're doing an incredible job job just getting thru each day. I was diagnosed almost four years ago, so I know just what you're going thru. I do hope joy will check in so we know how you're doing, and how your surgery went. Being compliant right now doesn't matter as much as doing the things that bring you joy. I wish you and your family peace, strength, and even laughter because though things may not feel joyful now, there will be moments where lots of laughter will really help. xoxo.

Day 13 guys. I mostly feel great but I am still fighting cravings (I went to sleep the other night DYING for a bowl of Rice Krispies) and hunger pangs. 

Here's what I ate today: 

Breakfast - 1 cup coffee with almond milk. 2 scrambled eggs in coconut oil. Big serve of Sauteed onion, spinach and cherry tomatoes in coconut oil.

Pre-lunch snack: 1 cup coffee with homemade macadamia milk. Roasted eggplant. A few turkey slices.

It's now 2pm and I should not still be hungry but I am. Not like, fish and broccoli hungry. I just want a sandwich. Or a bowl of damn Rice Krispies. Or a piece of the cake that's in the office fridge.

I'm trying to completely cut out fruit (my favorite thing in the world) in the hope of slaying the sugar dragon once and for all. But right now I'm like... struggling. 

Archived