Starting October 1 - Who's with me?

praxisproject

WE ARE CRUSHING IT!!! 

Doing well these last couple of days. Definitely feeling stronger, leaner, and more clear-eyed. I know I'm not supposed to indulge in fruit as a snack but on the rare occasions that I do I'm amazed at just how sweet it tastes. 

What's everyone cooking this weekend? 

It's day 15 for me, and still a bit back-and-forth.  I've had some days of amazing energy and high spirits, and today I'm crashing a bit -- very tired.  I'm also going through a bit of food boredom, I admit, but cooking some good things always helps with that.  

Recently I made NomNomPaleo's Kalua Pig in the slow cooker, http://nomnompaleo.com/post/10031990774/slow-cooker-kalua-pig, whichmight have been the most lipsmackingly sumptuous pork I've ever had, some homemade "barbecue sauce" for my husband (who doesn't love it, sadly, although I think it's pretty good), oven-roasted chicken (marinated in preserved lemon, fresh lemon, lots of garlic and herbs and North African spices), Mel Joulwan/Well Fed's Velvety Butternut Squash http://meljoulwan.com/2011/11/17/velvety-butternut-squash/ (unbelievably delicious and very dessert-like -- reminiscent of pumpkin pie with gingerbready spices) and vegetable sautés and mixes of various kinds.  Last night we had a big ol' steak, marinated in Red Boat fish sauce, coconut aminos, garlic, black pepper and sesame oil, with baked potatoes, ratatouille and salad.  For a while we were having some cut-up fruit or stewed apples after dinner, but I don't seem to want that as much any more.  Hmmm.  

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jeweliana it is also day 15 for me.  I admit meals seem to have turned into an endless round of beef, chicken, fish, eggs, Repeat.  I am planning on trying rabbit on Sunday. 

Warning nonPaleo/whole 30 food mentions below.

{We have not been big protein eaters in my family, pre whole30 it was 2 nights chicken, 1 night beef, 1 night fish a week the rest was pizza, pasta with tomato sauce and cheese, and eating out which was often cheese and bean burritos.  breakfast and snack often had no protein and lunch was mostly burgers, cheese and nut butters.  So different ways of fixing beef don't feel much like different food that could be in the same day ( obviously I had a burger exception).  }

OK Food mentions done

I'm not used to eating the same protein for dinner two nights in a row.  Now I have 4 meals of it a day plus 3 post work out snacks a week.  It is all starting to run together into an unappealing glop.

It is unappealing glop that makes me feel good so I will keep fixing and eating it but I would like to change my attitude so that new protein dishes are a joyful experience. 

This is probably colored by the lack of good expectations for the recipe I am trying for tonight.

burgards  great on the healthier gums, they are a great marker.

Jeweliana it is also day 15 for me.  I admit meals seem to have turned into an endless round of beef, chicken, fish, eggs, Repeat.  I am planning on trying rabbit on Sunday. 

{We have not been big protein eaters in my family, pre whole30 it was 2 nights chicken, 1 night beef, 1 night fish a week the rest was pizza, pasta with tomato sauce and cheese, and eating out which was often cheese and bean burritos.  breakfast and snack often had no protein and lunch was mostly burgers, cheese and nut butters.  So different ways of fixing beef don't feel much like different food that could be in the same day ( obviously I had a burger exception).  }

OK Food mentions done

I'm not used to eating the same protein for dinner two nights in a row.  Now I have 4 meals of it a day plus 3 post work out snacks a week.  It is all starting to run together into an unappealing glop.

It is unappealing glop that makes me feel good so I will keep fixing and eating it but I would like to change my attitude so that new protein dishes are a joyful experience. 

This is probably colored by the lack of good expectations for the recipe I am trying for tonight.

Who would have ever imagined that I'd be talking about my gums to strangers? Not this girl. But hey... celebrate the small victories.

I cleaned out/went through my spice cabinet this weekend. I found some really interesting stuff in there. Black sesame seeds? Sprinkled on the eggs this morning. Z'atar? on the roasting cauliflower. damn fine too. [fear not, labels were read to ensure compliance]. Maybe spicing things up in new ways could help?

I'll admit I am already planning ahead and thinking about life after this month (I'm on day 18). Having been a vegetarian since my teens, eating all of these eggs, fish, and fowl is hard for me to imagine continuing forever. For now, I am sticking 100% to the program, because I believe in the results already. But wondering if life after whole30 can slant a little more vegan again, after I've kicked sugar and figured out which grains and such are doing their worst to me. I'm not sure what I'll end up doing.  This much protein in these forms might not be necessary forever, or all the time. But more than perhaps anything, this experience is teaching me to keep a very open mind. And it feels good to be this mentally flexible.

OK Food mentions done

Hey Jen,

I hear you on this food boredom.  My boredom is more of the spoiled-brat kind -- I want cake because I want it; I want chocolate because I miss it.  Honestly, I'd go crazy if I were eating the same thing at each meal.  I tend to cook different things each night for a few nights,  with enough for leftovers, and then rotate them so we're not eating the same thing several nights in a row -- but that's how I cook even when we're not on a Whole30.  If I make a big quantity of something (which I usually do) and I become worried that we're not eating it fast enough before it may go bad, I freeze some of it, and then we always have stuff to pull out of the freezer on days when we're going to be too busy to cook.  I'm big on soups and stews and things which freeze easily, as well as easy slow-cooker meals. 

I don't often eat leftover dinner for breakfast, unless I need really quick convenience.  Instead, we do eat a fair amount of eggs (potato-vegetable-egg omelet with paleo bacon) or other things -- like no-sugar breakfast sausage with stewed apples.  I often do salad for lunch, with cold leftover chicken or a can of tuna and/or hardboiled eggs. And an occasional half-cup of fruit salad now seems like a big treat.  I like breakfast "muffins" or casseroles too -- eggs with sausage meat and vegetables cooked into a crustless quiche or small muffins, made in a batch and packed for convenience.  I'm also playing with the idea of creating a pumpkin or winter squash breakfast custard with eggs and coconut milk -- based on this amazing squash recipe:  http://meljoulwan.co...tternut-squash/.  My plan is to leave out the roasted garlic if it's for breakfast, add more eggs and coconut milk to make it more custardy as well as give it more protein and fat, so that it tastes like a crustless pumpkin pie for breakfast...

Have you tried doing a weekly "cook-up" a la Melissa Joulwan of Well-Fed?  Take a look at these resources:  http://meljoulwan.com/2014/07/29/whole30-resources-roundup/ I like cooking, so this works for me, but she has a lot of "easy prep" stuff for those who don't want to spend hours in the kitchen.  Take a look at the weekly meal plans, which tell you how to do a "cook-up" for the week.  But if you DON'T like to cook (or you're sick of cooking, which happens to me too, despite my chefly tendencies), try her post on Great Ingredients: No Recipe Required: 

http://meljoulwan.com/2014/06/25/great-ingredients-recipe-required/

which gives a lot of suggestions for putting together appetizing and varied plates of food on the spur of the moment.  

thanks Burgards, spices are important.

some great links Jeweliana

I am definitely not a hot plate person.  I look at a bunch of cooked items in my  fridge and I just see the separate piles. 

That is in part why I am a big planner.  I spent 45 minutes meal planning today, for a whole week's worth of planning.  I always  put events on my meal plan so I can plan around them.  For example my kid has a class that runs until half an hour before dinner Thursday so we are having omelets.

Last night's glop was really gloppy, if any one wants a recipe that tastes exactly like bland chop suey let me know.  Kid liked it and spouse and I added 5 spice powder.

Tonight should be delicious though, braised beef short ribs, mashed turnips, broccoli.

Also just had a decent protein salad, leftover salmon, primal paleo mayo, apple cider vinegar, sweet potato, dried fruit, and toasted walnuts - straight out of the W30 book.  I have never been big on mayo salads but I'm  hungry enough to eat them on this plan.  And as I said this one is pretty tasty.

We're eating a lot of beef and chicken too, with some pork and lamb in there as well.  And a ton of eggs.  I've been mostly loving them, but today I woke up and felt some pure rebellion in my heart at the idea of having ANOTHER omelet, so I'm going to have to go in another direction for a few days until I feel the eggy love again.

We haven't been eating much fish while on the Whole30, except for my cans of tuna at lunch, since my husband is not a fan of fish & seafood.  In civilian life, we occasionally have salmon, which I usually fix with a marinade of lime juice, garlic, tamari soy sauce and toasted sesame oil, broiled with a crust of sesame seeds.  I think I could hack that for the Whole30, using a combination of fish sauce and coconut aminos to replace the soy sauce.  For some reason I'm craving fish, probably because we haven't had any since we started this.  

Jen, you talked about rabbit, which is intriguing -- I've never cooked rabbit before.  I'm toying with the idea of roasting a duck, since I do love duck and it's mainly a restaurant food for me.  Hmmm.

We're eating a lot of beef and chicken too, with some pork and lamb in there as well.  And a ton of eggs.  I've been mostly loving them, but today I woke up and felt some pure rebellion in my heart at the idea of having ANOTHER omelet, so I'm going to have to go in another direction for a few days until I feel the eggy love again.

We haven't been eating much fish while on the Whole30, except for my cans of tuna at lunch, since my husband is not a fan of fish & seafood.  In civilian life, we occasionally have salmon, which I usually fix with a marinade of lime juice, garlic, tamari soy sauce and toasted sesame oil, broiled with a crust of sesame seeds.  I think I could hack that for the Whole30, using a combination of fish sauce and coconut aminos to replace the soy sauce.  For some reason I'm craving fish, probably because we haven't had any since we started this.  

Jen, you talked about rabbit, which is intriguing -- I've never cooked rabbit before.  I'm toying with the idea of roasting a duck, since I do love duck and it's mainly a restaurant food for me.  Hmmm.

I hear you on the eggs, I am close to being done with eggs for a couple of days, and last night I had a tantrum of food boredom. In protest I ate unnecessary raw sunflower seeds and cashews. And it ended quickly. what a change from past food tantrums! 

Feeling sunnier this morning. And hungrier. Coming off a bad head cold - still generally feeling too good to be sick, except the unavoidable snot and coughing. Onward friends! (and yes on more fish. your brain loves it!)

Jeweliana I think you could easily tweek your salmon recipe to be W30

burgards  I think that was a pretty good response to a food tantrum.

Odd day yesterday.  I fell asleep on the couch before dinner.  Then after what was indeed a delicious dinner I tried to make my frittata/tortilla.  Must have been 2 late at night.  I cracked 2 eggs not over the bowl but onto the counter and then burned the top. Got it scraped off and it was fine this morning.  then I had my first food dream  - I was trying to make paleo cookies and failing.  Odd because I am sure in could in real life if I actually wanted to do so.  I can make vegan gluten free cookies already when I need too.

Going to try the perfect burger method tonight while kid has pizza.  I Like the one real recipe I've tried form the W30 cookbook but the "perfect" prep recipes for Roast chicken was over done,  and scrambled eggs were folded.  the baked salmon worked  fine with 1 large pice of salmon but I think I will stick to the Canadian fisheries rule from now on.  The  greens and butternut squash recipe was easier to follow though they must have had much smaller  bunches of green than I bought.

Doctor appointment tomorrow, I must remember not to have them tell me a number of pounds for my weight.

Keep on keeping on guys.

Jeweliana I think you could easily tweek your salmon recipe to be W30

burgards  I think that was a pretty good response to a food tantrum.

Odd day yesterday.  I fell asleep on the couch before dinner.  Then after what was indeed a delicious dinner I tried to make my frittata/tortilla.  Must have been 2 late at night.  I cracked 2 eggs not over the bowl but onto the counter and then burned the top. Got it scraped off and it was fine this morning.  then I had my first food dream  - I was trying to make paleo cookies and failing.  Odd because I am sure in could in real life if I actually wanted to do so.  I can make vegan gluten free cookies already when I need too.

Going to try the perfect burger method tonight while kid has pizza.  I Like the one real recipe I've tried form the W30 cookbook but the "perfect" prep recipes for Roast chicken was over done,  and scrambled eggs were folded.  the baked salmon worked  fine with 1 large pice of salmon but I think I will stick to the Canadian fisheries rule from now on.  The  greens and butternut squash recipe was easier to follow though they must have had much smaller  bunches of green than I bought.

Doctor appointment tomorrow, I must remember not to have them tell me a number of pounds for my weight.

Keep on keeping on guys.

we await reports of the perfect burger.

for at least ten nights now, I dream EVERY night about a new way I've gone off plan, and then feel guilty about it. It's becoming comical, how my brain comes up with new ways to fail :) I also have been daydreaming about getting a blood panel done in a few months, because I can't seem to stop worrying about eating all of this saturated fat all of a sudden...

burgards mixed report on burgers,   but I skipped the freezer step because my meat was barely defrosted.  cooked evenly through and tasty but looked  bad.   Next time I will follow the directions.

I did get a blood panel done yesterday at my yearly physical. Will see how it comes out.

Hope your dreams don't stress you out.

Yesterday was quite a day, alarm clock didn't' go off, 2 hour doctor appointment, 3 hours taking kid to theater class.  During the class I was going to go to a coffee place that serves fruit.  But it was a new company, no fruit.  Really good coffee  but not filling.  So I went to the drugstore across the street and got some compliant pumpkin seeds. 

In some ways this is a very easy diet because 1 meal that wasn't what you planned doesn't throw off the rest of the day, not like running out of weight watcher's points.  And if you are willing to eat boring stuff you can usually find something.

Day 19, and all is (relatively) well. Oddly I've been having some tummy issues, which I think is strange this late in the game, but as everyone keeps saying, our bodies all respond differently to this. It actually might be that I have a tiny stomach bug, unrelated to what I'm eating. Who knows.

I'm feeling pretty good about our food -- right now I'm simmering an enormous pot of chicken soup, which smells amazing, and will be one of those hearty "meal in a bowl" soups. It will do us for several meals. I'll debone and cut up the meat of two chickens in it, so it will be loaded with chicken, lots of vegetables, and either carrots cut long as "noodles" or else "zucchini noodles". I'm debating about whether or not I want to make it a creamy sort of chicken soup with coconut milk in it as well. As you can tell, I'm looking forward to dinner.

I bought a chayote at Whole Foods today, just in the interest of keeping us going with exploring new vegetables. Does anyone here use it much? I haven't really used it much in the past although I've enjoyed eating it in restaurants or other people's homes.

Day 19, and all is (relatively) well. Oddly I've been having some tummy issues, which I think is strange this late in the game, but as everyone keeps saying, our bodies all respond differently to this. It actually might be that I have a tiny stomach bug, unrelated to what I'm eating. Who knows.

I'm feeling pretty good about our food -- right now I'm simmering an enormous pot of chicken soup, which smells amazing, and will be one of those hearty "meal in a bowl" soups. It will do us for several meals. I'll debone and cut up the meat of two chickens in it, so it will be loaded with chicken, lots of vegetables, and either carrots cut long as "noodles" or else "zucchini noodles". I'm debating about whether or not I want to make it a creamy sort of chicken soup with coconut milk in it as well. As you can tell, I'm looking forward to dinner.

I bought a chayote at Whole Foods today, just in the interest of keeping us going with exploring new vegetables. Does anyone here use it much? I haven't really used it much in the past although I've enjoyed eating it in restaurants or other people's homes.

Glad you are still excitedly cooking - me too! Hang in there with the tummy troubles - too much raw veggie or nut consumption possibly? Your soup sounds amazing. I am cooking a whole kitchenful of prep stuff right now, because I am still down with a head cold and kind of a mental vegetable this evening after a very long week at work. I have always wondered about chayote. Tell us what you discover!  Have you played with parsnips yet? 

Hope you've got the energy to burn. I feel really good, considering being down with a cold. I am looking very forward to a great weekend of cooking and then one more week for me - last day is Halloween...

hi Oct 1 gang! for me, I am in the last week countdown, I can't believe it... I'm in no hurry to stop eating this way, but I have to admit that I am interested to weigh and measure. My *need* to do that has gone down, but I do desire to know what 30 days can do. And then the next 30 days, and the next, of mostly this kind of living. 

My energy is so blessedly good, my focus better than it's been in years. This was such an important gift to myself, this whole30. One year ago I was reeling from just finding out that my marriage was ending, and trying to get my bearings. I finally feel like I am back on the trail again, just enjoying every day.

burgards hope cold is gone soon

Jeweliana if you have "joy of Cooking" it has a whole chayote section including a recipe with shrimp that looks W30 compliant as log as you leave off the breadcrumb topping.  it says it should keep for a month but otherwise treat it like summer squash  ( zucchini)

learned yesterday that  6 hours and 40 minutes is too long for me between meals.  Was running around in afternoon and only had a cup of black coffee and squash for dinner took a long time .  I got a hunger crash that lasted even after I ate dinner.  So I had some hot spiced cider and that helped but kept me up late.

Jeweliana if you have "joy of Cooking" it has a whole chayote section including a recipe with shrimp that looks W30 compliant as log as you leave off the breadcrumb topping.  it says it should keep for a month but otherwise treat it like summer squash  ( zucchini)

learned yesterday that  6 hours and 40 minutes is too long for me between meals.  Was running around in afternoon and only had a cup of black coffee and squash for dinner took a long time .  I got a hunger crash that lasted even after I ate dinner.  So I had some hot spiced cider and that helped but kept me up late.

JenHZ, almost 7 hours is too long. I have learned that even if I am not hungry at about 5 hours, I should eat, because if you let it get to the point you did - crashing - it takes longer to come back to life eating protein and fat than if you were relying on sugar. You probably cope better than me though.  Thanks for the chayote hookup!

Hi everyone!  I'm just now finally looking at the forum and I'm on Day 22, as my start date was Oct. 5th. Wooohooo!!! I definitely felt like I lived in my kitchen the first week+, but it's gotten better (and I do love to cook, so that helps!).  I do still miss cheese (I find myself saying, this is good, but it would be better with cheese almost every time I make something, especially if it's with eggs!) and alcohol, (mainly the social aspect, not the sluggish feeling the next day)!  And it doesn't help that it's Halloween and Reese's pumpkins taunt me at every checkout.  

I started my whole30 due to a sudden stomach 'issue' that my doctor couldn't figure out (and the labs (gross gross) came back negative)...and I didn't want an expensive trip to the GI when there weren't any serious side effects, assuming I'd only learn it was something I was eating and should do an elimination diet. I checked with my doctor before starting whole30 and she thought it was a good idea.  That, on top of feeling so blah about myself, having gained almost 30lbs in the past 3+ years made for a great reason to try out whole30.  

For me, at least, it is definitely more expensive to eat this way--I have a grocery budget each month and luckily I'm at a place in my life where I can spend more on this, especially when it's for my health!  I hardly ever ate out, so it's not like I'm 'saving that $$ making my own foods,' but it's been worth every penny.  I'm lucky to live in Cincinnati and have plenty of grocery options & farmers markets.  Unfortunately, my stomach issue has not yet resolved, but there have been many other positive outcomes.      

Good luck to everyone, no matter what day you are on, you can do it!   :)

Hi everyone!  I'm just now finally looking at the forum and I'm on Day 22, as my start date was Oct. 5th. Wooohooo!!! I definitely felt like I lived in my kitchen the first week+, but it's gotten better (and I do love to cook, so that helps!).  I do still miss cheese (I find myself saying, this is good, but it would be better with cheese almost every time I make something, especially if it's with eggs!) and alcohol, (mainly the social aspect, not the sluggish feeling the next day)!  And it doesn't help that it's Halloween and Reese's pumpkins taunt me at every checkout.  

I started my whole30 due to a sudden stomach 'issue' that my doctor couldn't figure out (and the labs (gross gross) came back negative)...and I didn't want an expensive trip to the GI when there weren't any serious side effects, assuming I'd only learn it was something I was eating and should do an elimination diet. I checked with my doctor before starting whole30 and she thought it was a good idea.  That, on top of feeling so blah about myself, having gained almost 30lbs in the past 3+ years made for a great reason to try out whole30.  

For me, at least, it is definitely more expensive to eat this way--I have a grocery budget each month and luckily I'm at a place in my life where I can spend more on this, especially when it's for my health!  I hardly ever ate out, so it's not like I'm 'saving that $$ making my own foods,' but it's been worth every penny.  I'm lucky to live in Cincinnati and have plenty of grocery options & farmers markets.  Unfortunately, my stomach issue has not yet resolved, but there have been many other positive outcomes.      

Good luck to everyone, no matter what day you are on, you can do it!   :)

Hang in there cmwerner13! you are investing in your health, and there is nothing more important. keep us posted-- I want to be there when the stomach problems fade.

thanks for the crash info burgards

Hi cmwerner I also started on the 5th so day 22 here too.

I feel like I am living in my kitchen.  very glad we have a great room but over 2hours cooking this morning and while tomorrow's breakfast is done. dinner is not.  Going to have frozen sausages and the veg I did get cooked.  I can't imagine cooking at this pace long term.  I don't have time to go to exercise class.  But I also don't think I would be able to stay on the W30 plan long if I didn't have food I liked, including hot lunches. 

I'm going to meal plan for variety again but  take a different approach this week. 

cold rainy weather is here so I need to come up with some hot snacks too  ( I eat 4 meals a day due to the length of my day).

I have already tried all the versions on protein salad and none really rocked my boat anyway. may still do it once or twice a week for convenience but do it as a hot salmon or chicken salad.

last night's rabbit dish was not a hit.  too pruney for dspouse and the prune skins and rabbit skins made an unappealing combo.

Turnips and rutabagas are new vegetables we are enjoying.

The W30 ground meat  recipe is  good too.

Hi cmwerner! I'm on the same day as you and JenHZ -- today's day 23 for me. I'm the one in our household who's the enthusiast and making it all happen -- my husband is "along for the ride" but doing well with it, I think -- although he's not much of one for noticing positive benefits, ha ha -- more of one for mourning the lack of cheese in his meals.

Hey Jen-- thanks for the chayote tip. I used it in my chicken soup, where it was fine and added some "body" -- the chicken soup/stew itself was extraordinary, and an easy fix once it was made, to just heat up a couple of enormous bowls for my husband and myself. I'd probably try a more "special" recipe like the ones from J of C since the chayote is basically just a pretty bland squash, and doesn't have a whole lot to recommend it by itself or even in a soup. I'm going to make another big ginormous pot of soup today -- a riff on Tuscan ribollita without the beans and the bread (and no parm cheese or wine, of course), subbing in a big winter squash cut into small dice for the starchy elements, and using some verjus and grape juice to see if I can get a bit of the wine flavor. Fortunately I won't have to skimp on the pancetta, which I love to use in this soup. So it will have onions, leeks, carrots, celery, tomatoes, winter squash, zucchini, shredded cabbage and Tuscan kale thrown in to wilt at the end, cooked with pancetta and the verjus/grape juice as well as lots of garlic and herbs.

I hear you about the cooking and prepping -- and I'm someone who does a fair amount of that anyway -- but everything I buy, prep or cook vanishes quickly, and I'm left wondering what to make for the next batch of meals. We eat it all up, since there are no "fillers" to supplement or round out meals -- no sandwiches, no quickie pastas, etc. Which W30 ground meat recipe are you referring to? What's in it?

I crashed yesterday too == went about 6 1/2 hours without food and then came home and had an apple with almond butter. I was so hungry that it tasted like some sort of extraordinary dish -- really!

Burgards, you sound like you're in a great place -- that's AWESOME. I have a lot of benefits I'm noticing, but I'm still wishing for more energy. One problem is that my husband has been working night shifts, and sometimes I wait to have dinner with him until REALLY late. I know I should eat earlier (and sometimes I do) but even so, his coming in late, etc. is going to have an impact on the sleep cycle.

Benefits I AM noticing -- deeper and fuller sleep (I've been able to stop taking a sleep medication that I've been using for a while), clear skin, under-eye circles disappearing, no bruising (I have a tendency to bruise with the slightest touch, and that's just not happening, which I think probably speaks to some kind of enhanced auto-immune response), fewer little "aches and pains," and mostly better moods & more positive outlook. My cravings still come and go, but I'm fairly determined to stick with reintroducing foods gradually, because I'd REALLY like to get a sense of the impact of gluten, other grains, and dairy especially. I'm also thinking about reintroducing goat/sheep dairy separately from cow dairy, since I think that they actually effect me differently.

Have a gorgeous day, all.

Hi cmwerner! I'm on the same day as you and JenHZ -- today's day 23 for me. I'm the one in our household who's the enthusiast and making it all happen -- my husband is "along for the ride" but doing well with it, I think -- although he's not much of one for noticing positive benefits, ha ha -- more of one for mourning the lack of cheese in his meals.

Hey Jen-- thanks for the chayote tip. I used it in my chicken soup, where it was fine and added some "body" -- the chicken soup/stew itself was extraordinary, and an easy fix once it was made, to just heat up a couple of enormous bowls for my husband and myself. I'd probably try a more "special" recipe like the ones from J of C since the chayote is basically just a pretty bland squash, and doesn't have a whole lot to recommend it by itself or even in a soup. I'm going to make another big ginormous pot of soup today -- a riff on Tuscan ribollita without the beans and the bread (and no parm cheese or wine, of course), subbing in a big winter squash cut into small dice for the starchy elements, and using some verjus and grape juice to see if I can get a bit of the wine flavor. Fortunately I won't have to skimp on the pancetta, which I love to use in this soup. So it will have onions, leeks, carrots, celery, tomatoes, winter squash, zucchini, shredded cabbage and Tuscan kale thrown in to wilt at the end, cooked with pancetta and the verjus/grape juice as well as lots of garlic and herbs.

I hear you about the cooking and prepping -- and I'm someone who does a fair amount of that anyway -- but everything I buy, prep or cook vanishes quickly, and I'm left wondering what to make for the next batch of meals. We eat it all up, since there are no "fillers" to supplement or round out meals -- no sandwiches, no quickie pastas, etc. Which W30 ground meat recipe are you referring to? What's in it?

I crashed yesterday too == went about 6 1/2 hours without food and then came home and had an apple with almond butter. I was so hungry that it tasted like some sort of extraordinary dish -- really!

Burgards, you sound like you're in a great place -- that's AWESOME. I have a lot of benefits I'm noticing, but I'm still wishing for more energy. One problem is that my husband has been working night shifts, and sometimes I wait to have dinner with him until REALLY late. I know I should eat earlier (and sometimes I do) but even so, his coming in late, etc. is going to have an impact on the sleep cycle.

Benefits I AM noticing -- deeper and fuller sleep (I've been able to stop taking a sleep medication that I've been using for a while), clear skin, under-eye circles disappearing, no bruising (I have a tendency to bruise with the slightest touch, and that's just not happening, which I think probably speaks to some kind of enhanced auto-immune response), fewer little "aches and pains," and mostly better moods & more positive outlook. My cravings still come and go, but I'm fairly determined to stick with reintroducing foods gradually, because I'd REALLY like to get a sense of the impact of gluten, other grains, and dairy especially. I'm also thinking about reintroducing goat/sheep dairy separately from cow dairy, since I think that they actually effect me differently.

Hi jeweliana

thanks for the amazing descriptions of soup, they are making me swoon! I am so excited about adapting many of my recipes to make them compliant too -- the things I am looking really forward to being able to experiment with are baked goods, to be honest. My avocation is baking and I've still been doing regular baking for my social events, the families I cook for, and so forth, but have been very strict per plan about not making compliant tortillas or bread or whatever for myself. It will be nice to be released to do so, and see if I can control myself now that I have a much more solid 3 square meals a day footing. I don't have strong cravings for bread anymore, though they arise, and I wonder if I can enjoy experimenting with healthier options for a treat occasionally for myself and for the people I love. I believe now that I can do that. I am dreaming about a wonderful thanksgiving dessert that is compliant except for being certainly not an everyday food!

I am going to play out reintroductions carefully - soy separately from peanuts separately from other legumes. It matters for me, because some of those things I really really like! I do think different kinds of dairy (cow vs goat) affect folks differently. Looking forward to hearing what you find out. Go team!

burgards I really like the transformative aspect of baking too.

best of luck on your reintros

we made squash soup mostly following the W30 recipe using fresh ginger instead of  dry and some nutmeg.

excellent

the W30 ground meat recipe for Mexican is chili powder, cumin,salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and paprika

jeweliana are you eating every 5-6 hours?  I get up at 5 and eat dinner at 7 so I eat 4 meals

planned enough meals to get me thru the last week until my first reintro and probably well thru the next week since there should be leftovers

burgards I really like the transformative aspect of baking too.

best of luck on your reintros

we made squash soup mostly following the W30 recipe using fresh ginger instead of  dry and some nutmeg.

excellent

the W30 ground meat recipe for Mexican is chili powder, cumin,salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and paprika

jeweliana are you eating every 5-6 hours?  I get up at 5 and eat dinner at 7 so I eat 4 meals

planned enough meals to get me thru the last week until my first reintro and probably well thru the next week since there should be leftovers

How funny! I'm a baker too. I'm also being strict with guidelines regarding no "paleo-fied" baked goods during Whole30, but I will confess that I've been thinking about a couple of things that I used to make a couple of years ago, after I had completed my first Whole30 (in May of 2013) and was still eating much more closely within the template. [WARNING -- post Whole=30 food mentions ahead] I paleo-hacked a flourless chocolate cake and some almond-butter chocolate chip cookies, and they were pretty damn delicious, IIDSSM. I was very controlled about how I consumed them, and also shared them with lots of non-paleo folks, who thought they were great (and didn't perceive them as "diet" or "paleo" foods). So I too am looking forward to a bit of a treat here and there once we're past both Whole30 and re-introduction. With Thanksgiving coming up, I'm definitely giving some of those foods careful thought. The one thing I think I can't get around is stuffing -- I have a traditional family recipe that I always make which my husband absolutely adores. But it's less bready than most, relying a lot on chopped onions, celery, apples and sausage, so maybe I'll hack it even a bit more in the direction of paleo-fication as well.

Woohoo, Day 24 JenHZ and Jeweliana!  

My boyfriend keeps asking when I am done with this (but he has been a good sport) and I really think I'm going to try and stick to it as much as possible, even after Day 30. That being said, red wine is calling my name and I will answer Day 31!  

Just to share some food ideas that I have absolutely loved:

Roasting a whole chicken in the crockpot has been awesome.  I use this recipe and have even made my own broth from it. I freeze some so as to use it later. Seriously, amazing.  http://kateolynch.com/home/spicy-crockpot-whole-chicken/ 
I usually shred it and make chicken salad with the homemade mayo and it gets rave reviews.  I put it in cucumber 'boats' (I cut a cucumber in half, then half those and remove the seeds = boat!) and have 3 for lunch and they are so great.  Great for tuna salad as well.  

Also, grilled carrots--who would have thought?  So good

Roasting sliced zucchini & squash with a fresh sprig of rosemary, wrapped in foil with some lemon & olive oil = amazingness,  Never knew how much of a difference the fresh stuff made when compared to dried seasonings.  

Probably my favorite breakfast has been "eggs in a nest"--different, but good!!!  http://www.ourpaleolife.com/recipe/eggs-nest/

I've made these chicken tenders (minus the sauce) a few times--great on a salad or alone http://www.allergyfreealaska.com/2013/04/15/easy-baked-paleo-chicken-tenders-with-honey-mustard-dipping-sauce/

This blackened chicken is a staple for me: http://www.happilyunprocessed.com/2014/09/24/blackened-chicken/

These meatballs are GREAT, especially in some sauce over the spaghetti squash (I use the recipe in the Whole30 book) http://sleeploveeat.com/2010/03/15/mammas-meatballs-and-marinara-sauce/

Can you tell I Pinterest a lot? It's been amazing for new ideas for Whole30

I should admit...I am mildly obsessed with apples and almond butter.  So stinkin good.

Does anyone have any stellar ideas for a Whole30 compliant appetizer?  I am headed to a euchre night/Halloween party Friday and I wanted to make something I could eat but that was also appetizing to others.  Want to stay away from bacon wrapped everything.  :)  This looks decent, but thought I'd ask! http://cookeatpaleo.com/heirloom-tomato-avocado-salad/

OH, and one final question.  Does anyone have any amazing fish recipes to share?  I do not eat enough seafood and I am not the biggest fan of salmon.  I wish I loved it, but I do not.  I never know what I should buy, where I should buy it (I try to buy wild vs. farm) and what i should put on it, and then--how to cook it/how long, etc.  Any amazing ideas out there?  Thanks!!

Does anyone have any stellar ideas for a Whole30 compliant appetizer?  I am headed to a euchre night/Halloween party Friday and I wanted to make something I could eat but that was also appetizing to others.

I made Mel Joulwan's bora bora fireballs and sunshine sauce for a family party a few months back and now everyone requests this when we get together. Huge hit. http://meljoulwan.com/2013/03/05/bora-bora-fireballs/

Archived