help.dry mouth after day 1

Sara M Clark

I hate to even ask this because it probably seems so obvious...but are you drinking enough water?

It's been a real change to me to make sure I actually get in enough - it can feel like a lot when you aren't used to it.

And now on Day14, I'm noticing that I feel much thirstier than I used to, but I have no doubt I was probably dehydrated before...body is simply readjusting.

Hopefully when you get used to not having the gum, it will go away?!! :)

HI Jaylee Thank for your response. Yes I drink a ton of water everyday I always drink about 3 liters each day. I can't remember the last time i didn't chew gum in a day. I quit smoking a little over 3 years ago and when i did I took up gum, I could chew a pack easy a day and if i'm stressed more. I made it threw yesterday with No gum so i'm very happy about that :) I hope the dry mouth gets better soon. Thanks again :)

It was still bothering me off and on today I drank a ton of water today 4 liters or more! I think that it is happening because i'm not chewing gum and it's gonna take me some time to get use to that. I just kept busy today so I wouldn't think aout it! I did get some heart burn today which is pretty unusal for me. It has gone away for now :) Did really good today! Looking forward to day 3 tomorrow :) How are you doing? Thanks for checking in :)

Sara

Let's hope it does go away - that sounds so annoying!!

My first 6 days were pretty rough - headaches, weird feelings, foggy, irritable - but once it all lifted, it hasn't been back. Today was 15 for me and the only craving I still really have is for wine. Like right now. :) My husband took the boys to his parents' house for the weekend, so I have a quiet house all to myself (after work all day today) and I would so, so love to sit down and read a book uninterrupted with a glass of wine. I think that's going to be the first thing I treat myself to when the 30 days are complete. That or a Diet Coke! Or maybe not. We'll see.

Good job on Day 2!! Keep up the good work!!

It is annoying but it is getting better :) Oh that stinnks about your first 6 days!! So far so good for me a slight headache & the dry mouth but all in all good! That's awesome you are on day 15 well 16 now:) You over half way!! That's exciting. I can't wait for a glass of wine ;) I hope you enjoyed your quite house! I'm gonna post a log for my day 3. Keep up the great work

Hi how are you doing Jaylee? Today is day 4 for me and it's been a really tough day! I haven't sleep well the last 2 nights. I have had a hard time falling a sleep and staying a sleep. So today I have been really tired and I have also gotten light head a couple of times. Has this happened to you any advice would help!

Thanks Sara

:( for the rough day. I did have some trouble staying asleep that first week, off and on. And the headaches, feeling faint, foggy-headed...all that in those first 5-6 days, too. Day 7 and 8 were great - I felt a lift in energy and no more fog. Day 9 was kind of terrible...and then since then, it's been all up.

I generally feel pretty good all day, throughout the day. No problem falling/staying asleep. In fact, I have considerably less trouble getting out of bed in the morning than since I can remember. (I'm not a morning person anyway, but they've been particularly brutal since the school schedule resumed.) Anyway, seems way easier to get up than I ever remember. Increased energy for sure. And, its subtle so far, but noticeable...my mood is also up. I feel more positive, grateful...happier than usual. The food part is getting easier - as long as I plan. When I let myself get too hungry, that's really the only time I think about having crackers or popcorn or something I shouldn't just because I want something NOW. But if I don't let myself get there, no trouble.

Water - that's been the biggest help for everything. I know you drink plenty of that, so yay! I really have to stay on myself to remember. Hopefully it will be a real habit soon.

Hang in there. I know these first few days are rough...but if my measly 17 days tell me anything, it's that it feels pretty worth it.

Thank you for your response! I felt so much better yesterday! I had such a busy day with my 3 kids. I have twins Ben & Olivai that are in afternoon kindergarten and I have son Joe who's in first grade. My daughter has dance class from 9:30-10:15 then I had to go to the grocery store come home make lunch Then I also volunteer at the school on tues afternoons, Came home did dinner then back to the school for back to school night!!! I'm am starting to notice more energy. I don't think i am eating enough but I'm just not really hunger which is so werid for me. I too have NEVER ever been a morning person and I have been getting up with my hubby all week at 5:45. i find it so werid to me but i haven't been tired in the morning. I think what happened to me monday was i was drain from Sunday. Sunday I did a 5k race in the morning, I woke up late so i couldn't eat before the race ( not my best race time i actually added 2 mins to my time) I was getting over a head cold that when I was running felt like it moved to my chest. After the run i had a banana and apple I was so shacky but they helped and I drank a liter of water. My hubby had a work party we had to attend so I grabed a little chicken and some salad before me left. Th party didn't have anythiink i could eat so i didn't and I wasn't hungery. I think i might of had a little snack when i got home of left over pumpkin chil. I think my body was just adjusting to so many changes. I'm ending day 6 now and havne't thought about cheating or go of track at all. My hubby said that he has notice i'm calmer and just seem happier Which is great!! How are you doing?

So glad you felt better! It's nice to read someone else's schedule and not feel like I'm the only chicken-with-its-head-cutoff mom around!! Sometimes I look at my calendar and I wonder what in the world did I do with all my time before I had kids?? ;-) (I like it though...I love having a full day...and now I'm starting to actually have the energy to go along with it!)

Day 20 today.

I really don't have the urge to cheat on food as long as I plan. Like last night I didn't get home from work until about 9:45...the nanny had fed the boys and cleaned up the kitchen, so everything was all put away. I didn't really have anything set aside for me...this is a night when I would have normally just popped some popcorn or had some cheese/crackers and nice big glass of wine and called it good. I let myself be irritated about that for about 5 seconds and then I rummaged around and found some leftover meatballs instead, warmed them up and ate them with a tomato and a cucumber. Its really only times like that I want to go off plan...and now that feels more like convenience to me than a real craving.

I haven't weighed, so I don't have a number - but I know it's big. This week I had on two different pairs of pants that I recently bought - like in July, I think - and they aren't just loose...they need to be altered. So that's good news. :) (disclaimer - I have A LOT of weight to lose, so probably reasonable that I feel like I've lost a lot.)

I ordered the WellFed cookbook and it came yesterday...just in time for me to do the next round of menu planning to get me through the next 10 days. So I'm looking forward to that - there is some yummy looking stuff in there!

And, I think you commented on my other post about PMS...so here's the update on that...my actual cycle, whoa. For the last three years it has been getting progressively worse and worse. Way too heavy to be normal, I would be anemic for the whole time, terrible fatigue and cramping...but not right now. This cycle that is happening now feels like they used to feel - years ago. It's almost over and it was not a big event at all, as in yesterday I almost forgot I was even having it. That is so crazy to me when I think about how terrible it's been getting for these past few years...I almost can't believe that just 20 days of changing my diet has had such a drastic change on the PMS and the actual cycle. Just that improvement alone nearly makes the whole thing worth it!

Are you tired of water yet? I think I'm going to have to work on some other handy options for drinking...I'm getting kind of bored with just water. I think I need to make up a pitcher with lemons/limes/oranges in it...or cucumbers and mint or something. And have you made mayo? I tried one batch that was almost successful...I'm going to give that another go this weekend.

One week down, right?? Way to go!!!

Yes I am alway running around crazy! I really don't know how I do it but I do and I too LOVE it :) Day 20 done that's awesome! :) yes I agree you do have to plan & left overs are great!! It makes it so much easier to grab something out on the go. I brought both my breakfast & lunch in the car today because i was running behind. But I threw something together quick and it worked. I have not been feeling hungry. I only ate breakfast and lunch today. It's werid I never thought I would say I wasn't hungry ! I was always hungry before. And get this today I had so much energy. It felt like I drank a pot and i only had a half a cup this am. I call my huband at work Because I couldn't get over how great I felt in only 7 full days in changing my diet! Its really is blowing my mind! I can't wait to see how I feel in only 3 short more weeks! I do know one thing I will never ever go back to the crap foods I was eating before! I will have my wine every now and then ;) but all the rest of the proccessed crap i'm done with and hope I can make more adjustments to my kids diet so they don't ever have to deal with that crap I have had to. It's amazing how much those chemicals really do effect every part of you. From my weigh in last friday i want to lose 50lbs, So i have a ways to go but I already feel a difference in me & my hubby and friends said they can already see a change But then i was at the gym this morning and a random girl walk up to me to tell me how good I was looking, I was shocked , It made me feel great !!! YAY & congrats on the loose jeans :) That is a great feeling! I can't wait to hear you full 30 results soon ! Your going to great!!!. I downloaded the well fed book on kindle and i downloaded a paleo crockpot one but not all recipes are whole 30 aprroved . That is great about your cycle. I hope i have the same results. My cycles too have been heavy and awful lot's of PMS. I drink a ton of water & today I made a pitcher of lemon water and it really does make a difference. I also started drinking more hot tea. I havne't made the mayo on this diet yet I did try once when I was follow Paleo but it didn't turn out! You have to make sure your egg is at room temp before you mix it with the oil. I am told that is what I did wrong! If you make it let me know how it goes :) Keep up all the great work ") WE can do this! !

Wow - so much great stuff already! Yay!

I've also been having thoughts about the kids and how to transition them to this once I get the hang of it all. I have started feeling guilty about serving them stuff that I'm starting to realize isn't really good for them. (I've always been careful with the processed stuff...but now I feel guilty about cheese and rice and bread.) But I'm trying not to think about it too much at the moment - one thing at a time, right? I'll get there.

I have also had those "did-i-have-an-entire-pot-of-coffee?" feelings...so wacky. And nice. I can use all the energy I can get my hands on!

I sure hope that effect maintains.

We went out last night to a wine bar to meet some friends we haven't seen in awhile. A wine bar. With a 4-page menu for just the wine. I had 47 glasses of water. ;-) But I did it. I also had a plate of raw spinach with hard boiled egg and grilled shrimp and some tomatoes. No dressing. Just lemon. (there was probably butter on the shrimp? but it was seriously the best I could do, so I'm just going to call it OK.)

I'm hoping to get to the mayo tomorrow...will let you know.

How's the weekend??

Yes I agree I'm going to slowly transition the kids. They are eatting some of the breakfas'st and dinner's so that's exciting :)

I really can't believe all this energy I have. It's so werid! I swear I was alway tired just 11 days ago! I would wake up in the more so tried I never wanted to get out of bed! Now I wake up and dont think twice & I actually feel refreshed!! I can't say it enough I LOVE This NEW change! Amazing how your body can change in 11 short days!

I think you made awesome choices while you were out! Great Job!

So I had a busy busy sunday of church, applepicking & cooking for hrs :)

I made the mayo and it turned out!! Im so happy.

Heres what I made yesterday

I roasted butter nut squash & sweet potatoes

Cauliflower rice pilaf --- so YUMMY

cooked ground turkey & ground beef

cut all my peppers and fruit up

today I made

chicken fajitas in a crock pot, so easy and was delious

paleo apple sause again so easy and so yummy the kids LOVED it!

Let me know if you would like any recipe. I have bought the well fed cook book and Paleo slow cooker ( only a couple not whole30 complant!

I can honestly say if I contiue to feel this great I am NEVER ever going back to they crap I was eatting before! How are you doing?? You almost to 30 days right? Can't wait ot hear how your doing :)

today was my first day on the whole30 i have terrible drh mouth! i was a pack a day gum chewer and im wondering if thag could be the reaskn ? any advise on what i can do?!?

I can relate.. although unlike you before my W30 (day 16 today) I would hardly ever drink water :mellow: I know terrible.. I would survive purely on coffee & what water I would drink while training at the gym.. I just didn't get thirsty & found it hard to make it a habit.

For my entire first week of the W30 my mouth was like carpet! I was so thirsty all the time & I think now I have some better habits with drinking water.. although every now & then I'll realise it's almost 2pm & I haven't had anything yet so I down a bottle on the spot to catch up!

I really missed my chewing gum also.. I can finally say I'm over that now. I was googling away trying to find at substitute!! In the end, time passed & I just forgot about it.

Have had a weird couple of days...headaches yesterday and today and I have this awful knot/cramp in a shoulder muscle that has nearly done me in. I even went and got a massage today to try to alleviate some of the pain. The massage therapist said it could be some residual detox stuff going on...which surprised me a little. But, man, I'm ready for it to be over whatever it is!

Other than that, I'm still doing well. Not super great, but well. I'm struggling to get in all my water. And I don't think I'm eating enough - at least not today, I know. But overall...all the great things are still happening...and I really can't wait to get on a scale in a few days (even though I know I'm supposed to be working on not caring so much about that - I'm not there yet!) I can tell I've definitely lost a significant amount of weight.

I also got the Well Fed book and I'm looking forward to putting it to good use in the next few weeks! OK...just three more days!!

How are you doing this week?

I have been having a rough couple of days! I have been very irritable and starving! I'm a very active person, I have been walking/ running4- 7 miles a day & working out but I'm not sure what's going on with me! Im over the half way point. So thats good but it's been hard going to party's with cakes and bad stuff. I'm hoping I start feeling great again with all the energy I was having before! I think the yucky weather isn't helping either! I have a 5k run to support a youth group at 10am then then we are doing to another event and the kids have a mile run and were doing a 2mile walk to raise money for pediatric cancer. After that I plan to have all our food planned out for the week and prepare all that I can :) Wish me luck! I can't wait to hear about your progress :)

Sara, are you sure you are eating enough? If you aren't eating enough, you aren't going to feel well. Try increasing the protein and fat if you think that could be it. OR...maybe you need something starchy with your meals like sweet potato.

HI & thank you for you post! Yesterday was the first day I felt like I ate a lot more ( wanted to prepare of my running so i hate sweet potatoes with 2 x and some nuts :) ), a few others have said i probally wasn't eatting enough too. And today I woke up feeling a lot better! I hope it continues throughtout the day! I will keep you posted

HI & thank you for you post! Yesterday was the first day I felt like I ate a lot more ( wanted to prepare of my running so i hate sweet potatoes with 2 x and some nuts :) ), a few others have said i probally wasn't eatting enough too. And today I woke up feeling a lot better! I hope it continues throughtout the day! I will keep you posted

I think it's so easy to under eat because we've had "eat small meals" pounded into us for years. :) Let us all know if your feeling better continues.

Hope you are still feeling better. I can attest to the "eating more" difficulty, too. It's hard to break the mindset of eating little bits throughout the day. But I really notice it when I skimp on breakfast or lunch, I'm tired and grumpy...not to mention that it's the only time I even think about having something I shouldn't. I feel like that is a work-in-progress to figure out the right amounts of things.

So today is Day30...and I'm a little excited that I made it, but not really feeling like it will be a huge change after. Other than a glass of wine here and there, I really don't feel like I want to have the other stuff. I am so interested to get on the scale tomorrow. My curiosity is really up...the pants I have on right now are ridiculous. I mean, they look like someone else's. And yesterday at work I kept pulling at my dress slacks and trying to decide if I should have them altered or not - they were kind of expensive, so I hate to just go get more. (And I have 3 pairs!) Guess I'll figure that out soon... :)

Hope you are feeling great again today!

Hope you are still feeling better. I can attest to the "eating more" difficulty, too. It's hard to break the mindset of eating little bits throughout the day. But I really notice it when I skimp on breakfast or lunch, I'm tired and grumpy...not to mention that it's the only time I even think about having something I shouldn't. I feel like that is a work-in-progress to figure out the right amounts of things.

So today is Day30...and I'm a little excited that I made it, but not really feeling like it will be a huge change after. Other than a glass of wine here and there, I really don't feel like I want to have the other stuff. I am so interested to get on the scale tomorrow. My curiosity is really up...the pants I have on right now are ridiculous. I mean, they look like someone else's. And yesterday at work I kept pulling at my dress slacks and trying to decide if I should have them altered or not - they were kind of expensive, so I hate to just go get more. (And I have 3 pairs!) Guess I'll figure that out soon... :)

Hope you are feeling great again today!

Today is my day 30 as well. This is my second one. The first being August 1, 2011. After that one, I rarely went off road. For me, why would I want to do anything that makes me feel less healthy than I do today. I also got rid of all of my cravings and didn't want to mess with bringing them back. I maybe went off W30 once a week for the last year and that was for one or two items, not all 3 meals. I plan on doing the same after this one. I just went to the gym to get measured (I am abolishing my scale..possibly forever) and I lost 2 inches on my thighs, 2 off my waist and 1.5 each upper arm. I was not doing this to lose weight. I lost all I needed to two years ago using a weightloss system and am determined to never do that again. My clothes are comfortably loose and I'm happy with how I look and how I feel. :)

Well...here I am...Day 31. :)

How are you doing?? I am anxious to hear how things are for you as you get closer to the end.

I posted my final thoughts over on this thread if you want all the details....but the scale today said 19 pounds. Isn't that crazy??

Well, I just wanted to check in and see how you were feeling today...I hope it's GREAT! :)

WOOOO HOOOOOOO Jaylee That is AWESOME!! So happy for you!!!! I just read you thread and I'm so excited for you! :)

I'm am doing better the last couple of days! I have been eating more, my energy is coming back and I had my fastest 5k time on Sunday so that was very exciting AND the best is after I ran i didn't feel sick and shaky. I'm in my 3rd week and I can't believe it! Time is flying by. I have noticed that if I am eating my full meals and enough that i don't get cravings but if I'm not it's not good! I too get cranky! My sleep goes back and forth some nights i sleep great others I'm waking up I can't figure it out ..I too have struggled with anxiety for year now and I feel SO much calmer and in control! That alone is huge and so worth me doing the whole 30 I can honestly say I have never ever felt this good in my life! I have struggle for a long time and finally feel so much better! I have used food for so long has a comfort and I have let it control me for so long, I mean I would eat happy sad anxious excuse excuse excuse But really everything in my life was so focused on food, I feel by doing the whole 30 I have taken that control back and I look at food Sooooooo differently. I can't wait until next week to let you know about the scale and my measurements. I order a pair of new jean and black pants because I had a 30 % of at Kohl's I was hoping to be able to fit in them in a few weeks GUESS what They fit perfectly today.I couldn't believe it!! :) I plan on sticking with this way of eating I do have a wedding the day after my whole 30 so i plan to have some wine but i think I'm going to start right back up.

Yay for new pants!!! :)

I'll be starting again on the 8th.

I've been "off road" today and yesterday...not terrible, but enough that I was hoping to notice a difference. You know, like one more little piece of incentive to stick with it. OMG. I feel terrible tonight. it's so noticeable and I'm thinking, "did I used to always feel this way? was it always this tired-sluggish-uncomfortable? why have i put up with that???" So I'm back on track tomorrow and will do the best I can at the conference Thur-Sun...back 100% on the 8th. Can't wait to hear your final results!! Go you!! :)

Archived