Can I have raw kohlrabi?

Rjsamples

I've just been reading the book and it says "most folks are stuck in a major vegetable rut, relying on just a few familiar choices and avoiding everything else. No wonder you're bored with your veggies! It's time to go out on a limb and try something new. Visit your local farmer's market and ask the farmers what they do with kale, kohlrabi, or leeks........."

So that would suggest kohlrabi's fine. I did a Kindle search and that's the only mention of it in the book. I've never tried it myself (rut somehow?) :) so I've no idea what it's like but if I ever come across it, I'll give it a try.

You can definitly eat kohlrabi.

However, just an fyi: kohlrabi is one of a bunch of veggies that suppress thyroid slightly when raw (goitrogens). IF you have a thyroid problem and IF you habitually eat large amounts of raw kohlrabi (and cabbage, broccoli, kale, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, bok choy...) you might consider steaming them instead.

enjoy your veggies!

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old post but I just want to say that kohlrabi is awesome!  It's so easy to prepare...trim ends, peel, and thinly slice or cube.  it tastes very similar to broccoli stalk and jicama.  I have been slicing it pretty thin to use as chips to dip in guac.  They have a great crispness are a wonderful replacement for chips.

Archived