Long runs - what are you eating the day before?

WholeMama

I've added starchy carbs to 2 meals a day but am still struggling on runs over an hour. I wonder if I am not eating enough the day before? Today I ate eggs and almond butter before my run and took fruit purée and dried fruit for during and still bonked after the first hour.

Yesterday for breakfast I had a large handful of hash browns, peppers, three eggs and guacamole. Lunch was 2 plain burgers, lettuce and tomato (we were at a family event). I had pistachios mid afternoon because I was hungry from the small lunch. Dinner was 1/2 a large sweet potato, probably a palm and a half of chicken, walnuts over greens with balsamic. I felt full.

(Luckily the bloating I was complaining about the other day has completely passed!)

Other than the second 1/2 of my long runs, I'm feeling great so I want to figure this out!

You could add some fruit - one or two pieces of fruit, eaten with or immediately after your meals. I know that I personally needed two servings of starchy vegetables PLUS two servings of fruit every day to best fuel my performance (running 25-30 miles per week including one 10-12 mile run, plus cycling).

• 2 weeks later...

I've dealt with this more than once.  I'm currently in my second week of my second round of Whole 30 and I'm training for a marathon.  My last long run was scheduled for 18 miles and I made it 15 before I needed to do a walk/jog.  The night before my wife had made a turkey meatloaf with ketchup and I think some asparagus.  I typically wake up around 5 am or close to it on a Saturday for my long runs and eat my standard breakfast of 3 eggs and a cup or two of coffee. 

Are you starting the first half of your long runs too fast?  I'm trying to hit a 8:00 pace for the marathon and last night on a 12 mile run I averaged an 8:52 pace.  This included two nice long hills with one gaining 200 feet over a mile and another 200 ft over a half mile.  My last miles while being downhill were 8:40, 8:11 and 7:39 and it didn't feel difficult.  It felt like I was running fast and controlled. A week before that I did 10.25 miles in 1:35 (9:19/mi) and it felt difficult more because of the elevation than the speed. You could also look into Nuun which has no sugar and is a tab you add to water to add electrolytes. 

Actually, the times I really felt it I was running slower than normal!! I've tried Nuun and have used it some, but not during whole30 because of the sorbitol. I feel great up to about 8 miles now - need to figure out getting to 13.1 feeling better. Today is my last whole30 day so I have a little more flexibility to try other things now. I just feel great overall so plan to continue eating this way!

Archived