Day 28: Groggy in the morning, eczema still present

Puppyholic

One of the main reasons I started the Whole30 was to figure out what was causing the eczema on my torso and back, but for the most part, the rashes are still there. I've seen a lot of people report healthy, glowing skin halfway through their Whole30, but—while my skin was never really in bad shape to begin with (except for the eczema)—I don't think it's really improved at all. In addition, I'm still having trouble dragging myself out of bed in the mornings, and I haven't been able to shake the 3:00pm fog at work. :(

For reference, a typical day looks something like this:

Breakfast: Two egg frittata muffin thingies with salt, pepper, paprika, onion, spinach, mushrooms and roasted red peppers; one banana; a mug of green tea.

Lunch: Chicken tikka masala (made with crushed tomatoes, coconut milk, spices and veggies); cauliflower rice.

Dinner: Spaghetti squash and meat (ground beef) sauce with carrots, peppers and spinach.

I should note that—as far as I know—I haven't had a single slip. However, I have had to eat out a couple of times this month, and I'm paranoid that although I made sure to ask all the right questions, I may have been given the wrong information and there may have been something in my food that shouldn't have been there. I don't know this for sure, though.

Additionally, a couple of weeks ago I started taking digestive enzymes with every meal, and I've started trying to incorporate a teaspoon or two of Bubbie's sauerkraut every day.

I should probably also be drinking more water than I am. :unsure:

Does anyone else with skin issues/grogginess issues—or anyone at all—have any input as to what could be the culprit?

Your breakfast is not big enough, it lacks protein with only 2 eggs. I found eating too light at breakfast set me up for a tired & difficult afternoon. What are your portion sizes for your other meals?

I suffer from eczema too, it only got better when I cut out eggs completely. Turned out I was allergic to them and they do seem to be a trigger for so many people. You could try cutting them out for a few weeks (unfortunately it is not an immediate fix, it needs time) to see if it helps your skin.

I second Loulabelle on this one.  I have had issues with eczema my entire life.  Sometimes it was worse than others.  For the most part it shows on my hands.  During my first whole 30 everywhere else cleared up - but my hands did not.  They did get slightly better but there were still issues. 

Over a long period of time with cutting out things, adding them back in, I came to the conclusion that I need to cut back on eggs.  Not only do they contribute to body inflammation but they also are a large contributing factor for eczema.  

They will take at least 2 to 3 weeks to move out of your system - so it could take at least 2 to 3 weeks for your skin to clear up to really know if it is eggs or not.

Loulabelle and Carlaccini—thank you both for your input!

My lunch and dinner portion sizes are fairly big (I thought). I don't know exact measurements, but I generally eat a full half of a spaghetti squash and two heaping ladles of meat sauce.

If eggs is the issue, though, I really don't know what else to eat for breakfast that both incorporates enough protein and is budget-friendly. Before the Whole30, I used to eat overnight oats with Vega One Protein & Greens protein powder, so perhaps I can eliminate eggs for a while and go back to oats once I've completed the reintoduction process. I just hate that the protein powder has stevia extract in it.

Once you figured out eggs was the culprit, did you have to eliminate it completely (e.g. no mayo, nothing with breading that may have incorporated an egg wash) or did you just reduce your intake?

I have eliminated eggs completely for now, I have had them inadvertently and I get a flare up so I am going to try 6 months without then try again.

I'm on a budget too so breakfast for me is often a big tin of tuna or some ground beef either in a hash or as a burger. I miss eggs for this reason as well as having enjoyed them. 

I used to eat a morning scramble - eggs, seasoned ground beef, sweet potato cubes and spinach.  All I did was drop the eggs and add more ground beef.  I still use mayonnaise (I love it) but I don't go to town on the stuff like I used to.  mayonnaise is about the only egg thing that I allow. semi regularly.

I am also lucky that a grocery store nearby makes their own sausages, and they just so happen to be complaint.  And they are relatively inexpensive.  So sometimes I use these sausages as an alternative when I want to mix things up.

• Administrators

Me too, no eggs = no eczema.  It was sad and I truly mourned the loss of daily eggs.  But not being itchy and rashy and red outweighs the sadness.

I can still eat eggs in mayo and in something like a dredging or as a binder in burgers.  But cannot eat 3 eggs for breakfast every day anymore.  I do also have an omelette from time to time when we go out for breakfast. For me it's quantity.

I was sad about the budget thing too for the eggs but haven't noticed a huge difference, to be honest.  We use a lot of ground meat, chicken thighs etc.  Burgers, hashes etc.

Edited to add: my husband started getting psoriasis on his head about 6 months ago.  His dad had it horribly so we were very concerned.  Cut out eggs = psoriasis is completely gone. :) 

Ahh, it's making me so sad to think I may have to give up eggs. They've have been a lifesaver this past month—especially budget-wise! I used to eat them only about once or twice a week before the Whole30, and this month I've been eating them every single day. The increased intake of eggs hasn't actually worsened my eczema; in fact, it's still marginally better than in the past, but it makes sense that eggs could be what's preventing it from clearing up completely.

Plus, one of my biggest struggles as an entry-level employee who lives on her own in the city is being healthy and relatively frugal. So thanks for all the suggestions of other protein-packed, budget-friendly breakfasts!

It is also coming into winter so the perfect time of year to buy the inexpensive cuts of meat that require long slow cooking. Think of pulled pork or stews & casseroles with the cheapest cuts of beef that most people don't want. Cook them for 3-4 hours and they become tender and delicious.

This Vega One Protein & Greens protein powder is expensive so instead of buying that, get some cheaper sources of protein for breakfast. Carbs are not good for breakfast whether you are doing a Whole30 or not. Protein is the way to go but not some over processed powder.

I was glad to see this thread. I don't have eczema but I've been breaking out in itchy hives and I couldn't figure it out. I know I get them if I eat too many tomatoes or strawberries but I haven't been having those more than once a week. I have increased the eggs I eat a lot so I'm going to back off eggs and then do a little experimenting to see if it was too many or I'm allergic.

This Vega One Protein & Greens protein powder is expensive so instead of buying that, get some cheaper sources of protein for breakfast. Carbs are not good for breakfast whether you are doing a Whole30 or not. Protein is the way to go but not some over processed powder.

I was glad to see this thread. I don't have eczema but I've been breaking out in itchy hives and I couldn't figure it out. I know I get them if I eat too many tomatoes or strawberries but I haven't been having those more than once a week. I have increased the eggs I eat a lot so I'm going to back off eggs and then do a little experimenting to see if it was too many or I'm allergic.

I have only ever bought it when there's been a promotion at the Whole Foods near me, but you're right—it's still quite expensive, and I'd rather eat something real. You can't beat the price of eggs, though, so I'm at a loss as to what other sources of protein will be as (or close to as) easy on my budget. Hopefully, as Loulabelle said, I can find some cheaper cuts of meat that won't completely bankrupt me. Crossing my fingers.

Good luck getting rid of the hives! I'm hoping for myself that I just need to reduce and not eliminate completely. I love my eggs.

Corgi.... where about in TO do you live?

I know groceries in TO are quite a bit more expensive than Montreal, but with a little navigation I am sure something could be found.

To break things up when I am in Toronto (I work for a Toronto based company which brings me in town quite a lot) I like buying Whole Foods sausages - I believe they are compliant but read ingredients just in case. 

The best place I have heard to go for fruits and veggies is Bloor Fruit Market. (I don't know how close  that is to you)

Corgi.... where about in TO do you live?

I know groceries in TO are quite a bit more expensive than Montreal, but with a little navigation I am sure something could be found.

To break things up when I am in Toronto (I work for a Toronto based company which brings me in town quite a lot) I like buying Whole Foods sausages - I believe they are compliant but read ingredients just in case. 

The best place I have heard to go for fruits and veggies is Bloor Fruit Market. (I don't know how close  that is to you)

I'm in the North York area. There's a Whole Foods very close to where I live, and I always buy the spicy Italian pork sausages there, as they are indeed compliant! Is it okay to eat a quasi-processed meat like sausage twice a day, though (I often bring sausages for lunch)?

The Bloor Fruit Market is a bit out of the way, but subway accessible and I will definitely check it out the next time I'm in that area. Thanks for your suggestions!

• Moderators

Interesting!  All my Whole foods sausages used to be compliant but then they added canola oil to all of them!

Interesting!  All my Whole foods sausages used to be compliant but then they added canola oil to all of them!

I know they used to but recently I have seen a change in some of them.  So some sausages are compliant (use olive oil) and some are not. 

Next time I go I will check again.

• Moderators

I know they used to but recently I have seen a change in some of them.  So some sausages are compliant (use olive oil) and some are not. 

Next time I go I will check again.

Oh, I haven't checked in a while... I'd just written them off... I'll go check next time I'm there.  They had some pretty yummy ones so it would be nice to have an easy (albeit expensive) dinner option once in a while.

Ground pork is usually reasonable, and you can mix it with ground beef if you want to. Into your ground pork... salt, sage, garlic, chili pepper... whatever portions seem right.... form into patties & freeze. Or cook & then freeze. Almost as easy as eggs.  :)

For me, this was a whole lot easier than shopping everywhere for compliant (& often expensive) sausages. Plus, I like this better.

Ground pork is usually reasonable, and you can mix it with ground beef if you want to. Into your ground pork... salt, sage, garlic, chili pepper... whatever portions seem right.... form into patties & freeze. Or cook & then freeze. Almost as easy as eggs.  :)

Possibly a stupid question, but what would be an appropriate serving size for these breakfast patties (based on how big the ones you make are + how many you eat, or in grams or whatever unit of measurement you use)? Before the Whole30 I was used to rationing my protein so it lasted for the longest amount of time possible, which would save money but ultimately result in too-small protein servings. I think I'd be really tempted to do that again if I buy ground meat for breakfast (vs. eggs)—without knowing the numbers, I know I'd play blissful ignorance and just tell myself I'm eating enough protein when I'd really be skimping!

• Administrators

Possibly a stupid question, but what would be an appropriate serving size for these breakfast patties (based on how big the ones you make are + how many you eat, or in grams or whatever unit of measurement you use)? Before the Whole30 I was used to rationing my protein so it lasted for the longest amount of time possible, which would save money but ultimately result in too-small protein servings. I think I'd be really tempted to do that again if I buy ground meat for breakfast (vs. eggs)—without knowing the numbers, I know I'd play blissful ignorance and just tell myself I'm eating enough protein when I'd really be skimping!

1-2 palm sized portions of protein is the recommendation when dealing with any sort of meat.  Eggs are as many as you can hold in your hand without dropping; 3-4 is usually a good starting point.

Archived