The Tiger Tots of the CFC

Crimsann

Let the reintros begin!  Today is Day 31 for me and I reintro'd dairy this morning.  I had some grass-fed whole milk yogurt from Trader Joes, and sauteed my cabbage in butter.  With the yogurt, I felt like I was eating it as part of this "experiment" I'm doing - I honestly didn't really want it.  Maybe it's because it was just plain yogurt with no sugar.  Now, I love me some cheese and I plan on having some with dinner tonight, so we'll see how I feel about dairy when I get to the stuff I like this evening.

Right now I'm feeling a mild gut discomfort but I'm not 100% sure I can chalk it up to the yogurt.  It's very well possible though.  Actually as I sit and type this out the discomfort seems to be getting worse.  I plan on having the rest of the yogurt with lunch (it was a big container of yogurt, 2 servings) and I'll have some cheese with dinner.

I didn't really do proper reintros with my first two W30s so this is interesting for me.

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure I'm ready for this whole reintroduction thing.

A few questions ... I get the categories we reintroduce (grains, dairy, etc) but what about slowing starting to eat things when I'm not sure what "category" they fit into. Like sauces (mayo, ketchup, etc -- I know I won't be able to make all the compliant sauces) or crackers (these could be whole grain, corn, rice, etc - I miss thin salty crispy things the most and I want to slowly reintroduce them in if they are on the healthier side).

I'm in and ready for an official reset/restart in October. I'm doing okay but still struggling with lot of doubts. Stupid stuff, all mental games but a continued month, group support, and accountability will be good for me for sure. Does anyone do the daily whole30 emails (I think it's $15/month)? Have they been helpful? I own both the books which were a great support and of course the online resources and this phenomenal bunch of tiger tots!  :lol: See you all this Thursday for October 1st Whole30 goodness! 

I did the emails after trying to do a Whole30 in April and not making it past day 22. I learned so much more and found the forums so helpful, too. Having that email to look forward to was kind of like dessert or something more sustainable. Worth the money. 

Hi everyone

I finished my Whole30 yesterday as I started August 31st. I have already tried to reintroduce legumes.  I couldn't make it home when I wanted to have dinner and didn't have anything with me so I grabbed a small pack of honey roasted peanuts. Got to say they just didn't taste the same as I remembered. Those peanuts just didn't cut it, nor did the sweetness of the added sugar. I really thought I would want to add peanut butter back into my diet. I also thought I would really lose control and any bit of sugar might send me over the edge.  I will try some peas tomorrow as that is the only other legume I can think that I like or miss enough to try again. 

I do the daily mails and the big thing for me is pushing the button to say I did the day! Truthfully there is a lot of information but I have been skimming it not really reading it. I do think it is helpful though.

Shosh,

I did the daily thing and there is SO MUCH information on there with links to so many good sights that I am going to keep going back to them... Totally worth the $15.!!!

I'm in and ready for an official reset/restart in October. I'm doing okay but still struggling with lot of doubts. Stupid stuff, all mental games but a continued month, group support, and accountability will be good for me for sure. Does anyone do the daily whole30 emails (I think it's $15/month)? Have they been helpful? I own both the books which were a great support and of course the online resources and this phenomenal bunch of tiger tots!  :lol: See you all this Thursday for October 1st Whole30 goodness! 

I did the daily emails in September and found a lot of useful info and some motivation in them.  I thought it was well worth the $15.

Hi all - just posting here so I can find it later.  I need to check if there is a strict order for reintroduction... having done the 30 days, I want to get this bit right.   I didn't subscribe to the emails, but I maybe will next time, I will probably do another W30 in January.

Hi all - just posting here so I can find it later.  I need to check if there is a strict order for reintroduction... having done the 30 days, I want to get this bit right.   I didn't subscribe to the emails, but I maybe will next time, I will probably do another W30 in January.

Here ya go, reintro info!: http://whole30.com/step-two-finished/

Some quick advice: If you're going to reintroduce DAIRY or GLUTEN (which can have big reactions for some), consider doing it on your day off... so you aren't at work if you end up having a gas attack, explosive bathroom visit, or brain fog!!  I'm just sayin'... it could happen.

Congratulations everyone on surviving 30 days!  My husband was mad at me last night because I went to bed without weighing myself and wouldn't get up to satisfy his curiosity.  He made me promise that I would weigh myself first thing this morning.  And I completely forgot.  Clearly that number isn't that important to me.  I finally stepped on this morning and I lost 2 pounds, same I lost during my first W30.  I'm perfectly content with that.  I wasn't trying to lose weight, so I impressed that I did.

NSVs:  

Feeling energetic.  

Not even a hint of acne on my face at the moment.  

Nails not peeling.  

The skin on my legs isn't itchy.

Sleeping like a rock.

Waking up energized in the morning.

My skin has this beautiful healthy glow to it.  People keep asking me if I've been outside getting tan in the sun, but I haven't.  Just not pasty white anymore, I blame thank all the veggies.

My workouts have been going great, I can feel and see myself getting stronger.

I spend every day wearing yoga pants, so I'm not sure how my clothes are fitting.  I may have to get fancy this weekend and wear some actual pants to see how much change there's been, but I do feel like my tummy is quite a bit flatter.  I'm thinking I may go get a haircut this weekend for the first time since December, I'm feeling so good about how I look, I need to get dolled up to match :)

Still waiting a few days to start reintroductions so we can get potty-training under a little better control.  I am way too focused on my child's bladder right now to pay attention to how foods are making me feel.  I am eager to get that started though, I didn't complete it during my first W30, and I feel like I did myself a real disservice.  

You can follow the formal reintro process that Vozelle has linked to above, or you can opt for the slow roll - depending on what you plans are going forward...

Hey team...

Well I completed day 30 yesterday and today was weigh in day... and the scale was not working... it would not show the weight or BF, etc.  I did get it working but it did not like being put out in the garage (it is down to 5 degrees C here today (41 F).  Maybe it was not being agreeable due to ignoring it for the month again.

Well I lost (got rid of) 8 lbs and this has been a typical loss for me on W30 (between 7 and 12 Lbs).  

Being (on plan) many times, I take a lot of the good effects of the program now as givens.  

They are all the case for me again:

• control over cravings
  • food as part of my day not the driver for everything
  • clarity of mind
  • sleeping well
  • down two belt loops
  • generally better mood
  • Lack of nagging knee or ankle issues (they go away)

A lot is written and invested in negative nutrition campaigns against paleo focused on not having enough energy to be active and perform at a high level of intensity.  Looking at the posts in our group and others before, it is clear that energy is not an issue for those who have been following a pretty strict paleo routine for (at least) a thirty-day period.  In my case, before hurting my back Monday) I was doing very high intensity CrossFit workouts 5-6 days a week for the first 28 days of this month.  I never once felt I had a limit on energy or the ability to push myself over this period.  For me, this is important because we can all find an excuse to revert back to our "old ways" but lack of energy on W30 ain't one of them.  

I recommend that you all write out a list of the benefits (scale and NSV) you have experienced and turn to them as a balance sheet against negative thoughts, doubts or self-sacrifice that you will likely go through.  It never hurts to remind yourself about the benefits healthy eating provides when you are faced with that social situation, family get together or work function where we are faced with food challenges.  You deserve to feel good, have energy, have a healthy relationship with food. 

Congrats to all for the support, achievements and self-learning we have all experienced.  It has been a pleasure and I look forward to more learning and success in our next forum group.  I posted this in our September start group too.

Cheers

DJ

Day 31. Nothing much different today. Tomorrow we are going out and I'm going to have a glass of wine! YAY!

I wanted to hit the like button on this twice for you and the wine! I miss my social drink with the friends. I'm still waiting to have one even with a reception tonight. I don't want to introduce alcohol until after my dairy intro that started today. Enjoy! And I'm raising a glass in spirit (yuk, yuk,pun intended) with ya!

October 1; 30 days done. I was going to write a poem for this but day is getting ahead of me! Maybe later.

I did get on scale and very happy with the loss. Are we supposed to tell? Anyway, I'm goi g to wait to weigh again until at doc office. About one month away. I think more important for me will be the blood test numbers!

Had my cheese and mushroom omelet today. Plan to have a dollop of sour cream in my potato soup at M2 and some blue cheese crumbles in salad at M3. We shall see how it goes. I have a question tho: do I then revert back to total compliant W30 for the next two days? I think that how it works.

Also ditto to everyones' responses regarding the daily 30 emails! They were worth every bit of the $15 expense! Absolutely agree with all and would encourage anyone planning to do a Whole30 to sign up.

And yahoo! To all of us for being here on this thread!

Yes, you can announce your weight loss and other stats here!!... now that the 30 days are over, we get to share our results, successes, etc. Include before and after pics if you have them! (I don't, sorry)

I lost 5 lbs, and a few inches off arms, waist and thighs. Happy with this, as I was not trying to lose weight, just going after those NSV's... and oh, are they GOOD. Can I get an "Amen?!!". Oh yeah!

I look forward to coming home after work this eve and reading everyone's "reports". 

Happy Day 1 of your NEW LIFE!!!!!!!!!

So I reintro'd dairy yesterday.  Had some yogurt and butter at M1, yogurt again at M2, and some blue cheese at M3.  My gut was not feeling great yesterday.  This was quite surprising to me as I've never had dairy issues before that I can recall!  I thought I did a proper reintro to dairy with my first W30 and I don't recall feeling like this.  I'm pretty sure it was the dairy and not just a random mild stomach bug.  My stomach was just uncomfortable all day yesterday, and today I feel better.  I'm not sure what to do with this information - does this mean I need to avoid dairy now?  Will I react this way every time I eat dairy now?! But I love cheese...   :(

Before the start of my first Whole 30, I made a list of things I hoped would improve over the course of the challenge.  These are my NSVs:  

Sleeping soundly, more energy, improved moods, improved seasonal allergies, more focused, no more swollen knee, no more headaches, no more heartburn.

I debated on whether or not to weigh myself this morning.  I was thinking maybe a few pounds...5 max.  I hopped on and found I lost 9.5 lbs!  The most successful weight loss I've had in years!  

Hi Everyone!! Lots of good news and NSV announcements today!! I love hearing everyone's stories.

As far as my non-NSV....I did weigh myself this morning and I dropped 10 pounds and over 11 inches on my body!!  (waist, hips, chest, arms, legs)  WHAAT?!? It's unreal.

So I was going back and forth about reintroductions or staying on plan. There was really only one thing that I thought I might want to bring back, which was whole milk in my coffee.  So, I decided that I was going to stay on plan for at least the next 15 days with that one exception.  Pre-W30 I drank coffee with milk and sugar every morning and enjoyed a latte or two every week.  Once I started W30 I pretty much stopped drinking coffee in the am and would occasionally drink a cup of black decaf coffee.  Surprisingly I really didn't mind the black coffee.  But, this morning I decided, what the heck, I'm going to have some milk in my coffee. No sugar. There was no way I was starting that up again. LOL.   Needless to say, I won't be having milk in my coffee tomorrow.  My stomach is very gurgly and is just not feeling right.  I had about 1/4 cup of milk in my large cup of coffee. Everything else I've had today has been on par with what I've been eating so I don't believe there was anything else that would have set me off. I also have a slight headache. I'm not sure if that's from the milk or the fact that I'm behind on my water intake today since I replaced my usual water with lemon with coffee!   Can that little bit of milk really be making me feel like this?  It's really kind of crazy.  Now, I REALLY appreciate how good I was feeling yesterday.

Hope everyone is having a great day!  So proud of all of us and how far we've come!  Let the learning continue! 

I have celiac disease and the doc was very happy I was doing the Whole30. He told me dairy intolerence usually affects those with celiac so I will be interested to see how I react. I'm continuing on for another 30 days so it will be awhile before I try. I think some of us are so used to the symptoms of intolerance that we don't recognize it until we do something like this.

I posted my results on the other thread but basically I lost 3 pounds and 7 inches total. I'm very happy since losing weight at 74 is a bit harder. I want to lose another 10 pounds and I will be right in the middle of the range the doctor told me was appropriate. I have so much more energy and so much less brain fog I am amazed. I added another class that meets twice a week at the Y this week - Zumba Gold (gold means its for seniors). Got to burn up that energy somehow. Before my W30 I sat around and thought how tired I was and what I should be doing but didn't have energy to do. I don't ever want to feel that way again.

This time I'm taking pictures of every meal. I'm tired of writing it down.

We are an amazing group and I look forward to reading your posts.

Boy, I had a moment earlier... I was tired and not at my best. Before I knew what happened, I had grabbed a Lara bar and it was gone. Not a terribly huge deal, except it shows that I'm not quite "there" yet. I don't want to go down that crazy-food-behavior road again! And I have gotta get rid of those bars. I would never do that with an Epic bar!!!

I did weigh in this morning. Down 9.2. Amazing! I didn't have time to measure, but maybe tonight. If i want to continue to see progress, I'll have to be very careful...

Glad to hear others are counting all sorts of victories!

Hey everyone!

So yay for us for sticking to it! Whether we stayed compliant every day or had to do a restart, awesome for us for commiting to ourselves and health!!

I have fantastic NSV's such as better sleep, little to no digestive issues, no more cravings for sugar, and overall clearer thinking.

I wasn't going to make weighing myself a priority because for years I've battled with weight and I wasn't sure how I'd take it if it was a gain. My friend from work encouraged that I had done a lot of hard work and that made me feel pretty confident knowing how far I have come with in my relationship with food. So I decided that whatever the number, I was still on the right track and have never felt better in my life.

Surprisingly, to me, I was down 13 lbs. Just by eating wholesome, healthy foods. Not depriving or starving myself. How easily I could live on the whole 30 template (with some occasional cheese and wine) for the rest of my life!

I'm so grateful to have found that random blog on Pinterest about a wonderful book, "It's Starts with Food" that had changed some woman's life. God bless her for sharing her experience.

I'm so excited to feel such freedom from cravings and emotional eating.

I had to laugh at something that happened today. My coworker was going to the grocery store during a break so I asked her to pick me up some pico for my salad. She brought me pico salsa. I looked at the mile long ingredients and cringed. It had cane sugar among a bunch of other things. Fortunately it's day 31 so I put about a teaspoon on my salad, so she didn't feel bad. This has made me much more aware of hidden sugar in things. I also don't want to eat crap like that anymore unless it's my choice. 

Hi everyone!!  So, I was standing in the customer service line at the grocery store last night and saw a display stand for an unheard of brand of chips--Boulder Canyon.  I now get a kick out of reading ingredients and laugh when I can't pronounce stuff and enjoy putting it back on the shelf.  I figured this time I'd do the same and since the line I was in wasn't moving, I needing SOMETHING to do lol.

Turns out, this brand I picked up only had three ingredients--potatoes, coconut oil and sea salt.  I almost keeled over with excitement!  Here's a link to the chips' website.  I'm not a chip fan (I'm a sweet tooth kind of gal :)), but will definitely think about purchasing these for events or something.

http://www.bouldercanyonfoods.com/products/coconut-oil-kettle-chips

I LOVE CHIPS! I'll be getting some of these for my BBQ this weekend. 

Archived