The Tiger Tots of the CFC

Crimsann

So I reintro'd dairy yesterday.  Had some yogurt and butter at M1, yogurt again at M2, and some blue cheese at M3.  My gut was not feeling great yesterday.  This was quite surprising to me as I've never had dairy issues before that I can recall!  I thought I did a proper reintro to dairy with my first W30 and I don't recall feeling like this.  I'm pretty sure it was the dairy and not just a random mild stomach bug.  My stomach was just uncomfortable all day yesterday, and today I feel better.  I'm not sure what to do with this information - does this mean I need to avoid dairy now?  Will I react this way every time I eat dairy now?! But I love cheese...   :(

You might try retesting each item separately to see what happens.  Some folks respond differently to different types of dairy. Some are able to tolerate butter, for example, but not yogurt.   Some folks tolerate raw dairy but not pasteurized dairy. Hard cheese vs. soft cheese, etc.

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love all these posts. I am continuing on with W30 and am finding I am still making adjustments--can't believe how much I am eating and how hungry I get at times. I seem to be eating eating eating--I do get sick of eating.

Went for lunch yesterday with a friend and where she wanted to go they didn't have anything remotely near to what I wanted to eat so we went elsewhere and they had a beautiful salad with roast beef! No oil though so had to do that when I got home an hour later--had a big serving of vegetable with ghee. I was amazed at how tired I had been and how my energy picked up almost immediately after that.

I absolutely love the scales that are dying of fright when people go to weigh on them. 

My first thing in the morning and last thing at night is checking in with all of you. I don't always have time to comment but always check. Excited to see what this day will bring. xx

Happy October, all! 

I had peanut butter with breakfast and lunch and lentils with dinner today -- the peanut butter seemed to fill me up pretty well. No real issues yet - I'll have to wait and see.

I decided to buy full-fat yogurt and reduced-fat milk for when I reintroduce dairy - I used to only drink/eat nonfat milk/yogurt, so I want to see if the fat makes a difference.

Thanks to Hurricane Joaquin, I'll be staying indoors a lot this weekend.

Just a quick check in to congratulate you all, it's been a hectic couple of days but more about that at another time, regardless I've been checking in furtively all day long and cheering as each name I've come to recognize has shared their wrap up.  So many wow moments for you! 

I wanted to be on all day just to shout "YAY!" and throw some confetti after each post, you will just have to know that was going on in spirit. 

I released myself back to doing yoga tonight, grinning at the irony of hitting the mat on my first day of "freedom" and I truly did it because I wanted to and because I had the energy even at the end of a long day to do so. 

My plan for wrap up is similar to what I did at the end of my "Hole 60", I wish I had mentioned this earlier as some of the scale scaredy-cats (a term I coin with all affection because I so relate) might have found it useful as well.  Because one of the things we learn from this program is how unreliable, unhelpful, and often just wrong those scales are...when I went to do my first weigh in I opted to take a sampling.  Starting Friday evening, I will weigh twice a day for the entire weekend aiming for different times of day as much as possible and then post the average.  It's as true as any one number, and seeing the fluctuations not only reinforces the message that the scale is a big fat liar half the time...it also gives a slightly truer picture.  I was still somewhat shocked at the time to find that my sampling spanned nearly 5 pounds from highest to lowest which was more than I even expected and did a lot to help me walk away from weighing in and letting that matter.

I should also be clear that I am not eating strictly Whole30 as of today, the only portion I am extending through the weekend is the makeup yoga and the weigh-in.  This is not to say I'm chucking the program in, all but one of my meals today were entirely compliant, but I did start the morning with angel food cake.  LOL! 

Okay, okay, before you freak out let me explain a bit...I'm co-sponsoring a really big bake sale deal later this month and I was running out of time to test recipes.  I don't talk about it much here because it's not a topic we want to spend time on, but I'm a serious baker...in my former life and probably to continue as I learn to adapt more and I've a reputation for it so it's always going to be part of my life.  I actually made this, pumpkin as the case may be, angel food cake last weekend and force fed everyone I knew while trying to scrutinize their every facial expression to determine if it needed more cinnamon or less pumpkin or a dash of....oh it was just so not working.  It's like everyone developed a pastry poker face.  I was already sweating the addition of heavy pumpkin to a batter that needs to be lighter than gravity, so I saved back a piece until my 30-day sentence was up. 

I didn't crave the cake, but I was eaten alive with curiosity to try it and I needed to know before this weekend when I'm settling in to churn out a few more of them if I needed to go back to the drawing board on the recipe.  The happy news is...no, it should do just fine as is.  Whew!

Meal planning is on the agenda for tomorrow, I may try to work in a reintroduction of something next week, but odds are I won't do much off plan.  There aren't too many more I need to do really and I want to keep early October as clean as possible since the final two weeks will be my vacation time and I probably will indulge myself some then. 

I'm loving seeing some of the group already planning for January....that is still totally my mind.  I've tentatively planned out all of 2016 in a way that has me on plan or modified plan 6 months out of the year (and neatly avoiding all birthdays/favorite holidays/pumpkin festivals/and vacation).  I am considering a three-month cycle of strict/modified/strict in which the middle month stays compliant regarding ingredients but with a few non-compliant intentions to allow for more flexibility and experimentation.  If all goes well, that would be January/February/March and June/July/August...I like that those are polar opposite seasons as well which will lead to more variety in food choices. 

I have posted on the 1st September one as well but here's my victories! 

1. Lost 10lb since 1st whole30 in June.

2. Can fit into loads of my old clothes again!

3. Have no headaches- I regularly had very bad headaches which I think were sinus related- Probably dairy related.

4. Feel happy! (A huge statement after 5 years of depression)

5. Feel a lot more positive that we will conceive!

6. I don't feel bloated any more.

7. I no longer eat just because I'm bored.

8. I have started enjoying cooking again!

9. I can go out and choose a salad without feeling short changed.

10. (Because I must have 10 victories!) I just generally feel like life is worth it again!!

I've really enjoyed reading all your stories too, I will see down the road whether I need another whole30, it will mainly depend on how I choose to eat over Christmas.... (see that?- how I CHOOSE to eat! Because it's not a case of losing control over what I put in my mouth just because it's Christmas)

Good Morning!

It's crazy how much I enjoy reading your stories.  I started this forum purely to hold myself accountable, not to get to know people.  Now I want to know first thing everyday how everyone is doing.  There is so much positivity here and so much realness.  I love it!  

I had a glass of wine last night with friends while making applesauce.  It was a fun night and I didn't snack at all which I often get addicted to doing when in social situations.  I wasn't even interested.  And I had helped a neighbor this week so she gave me four truffles.  I gave them to my boys last night.  I didn't want to eat them.  That feels so great to me and I hope to continue on this bike ride!

peace.  happy weekend.  all good eats!

Had my first drink last night. One shot of vodka in a lacroix. I drank it over 3 hours because I had to take my daughter to soccer. I don't think I miss drinking as much as I thought I did. Last night it seemed to make me irritable. I'm out of food at home so I'll have to eat out for lunch but I'm keeping it whole30. 

Yesterday I decided to reintroduce dairy, so I had creamer in my coffee at breakfast, cheese on my salad at lunch, and frozen yogurt immediately after dinner. I'm planning to keep the coffee creamer/sugar, as I truly enjoy it and I don't think it causes me to crave additional sugar. After the frozen yogurt I felt a little too full and also felt like I'd eaten way too much sugar.

I finally felt a little tiger blood on Day 30, I think, and I continue to feel pretty good. My clothes are fitting differently, and yesterday I wore a pair of pants I bought earlier in the summer to assist in my motivation to be healthier. I'm pleased to report that they fit now, and I lost 14.4 pounds during my Whole30. I plan to keep many of the changes with a few carefully deliberated treats. The support on the forum has made it much easier and given me so much helpful information. Thank you all.

today I plan to make and eat banana pecan Ice cream from the well fed book. It is not whole30 but it is still paleo clean eating. 

It is a rainy day here. we are all  hoping that mean hurricane goes out to sea.

Just a reminder for those who are continuing on with their Whole30, those chips are not allowed. No type of chip fried in oil is.

Hi there!  These are kettle cooked...not fried :)  is that compliant?

Also, now that we are reintroducing, would these be a good alternative to a social function?

Hi there!  These are kettle cooked...not fried :)  is that compliant?

No commercially prepared chips on a Whole30, period. Sorry.  

That being said, if you're post-Whole30, you can eat whatever you want - you get the make the rules for what you consume.

I have been reading all the posts and excited to hear how everyone is doing and feeling--great it sounds like. 

Still struggling here with an itchy blotchy face and haven't pinned down what it could be so am going back to absolute basics and see if it clears up. 

Have ordered those two books from the library, you recommended, Vozelle so will be doing some heavy reading next week.

Had a lazy, hang out in bed morning today so have to get in gear and have some breakfast then line up all my chores for the weekend. Can't remember when I last slept in on a Saturday.

So I had a moment yesterday. Put on a newish pair of pants I had made and they fit but not as loose as the ones I had been wearing so I spent a couple panic hours fretting over possibly gaining some weight--then I realized when I made these particular pants I made them a size smaller because the ones I was wearing were too loose. I laughed so hard I was crying.  Will never look at those trousers the same way again. :)

No commercially prepared chips on a Whole30, period. Sorry.  

That being said, if you're post-Whole30, you can eat whatever you want - you get the make the rules for what you consume.

Good to know.  I'll be using these to trick my guests into thinking they're "regular" chips!  Definitely a better alternative to what they COULD be eating...

Well, I tried oatmeal yesterday with breakfast (added egg and zucchini on the side to round out the meal), and it was fine. Had reintroduced this after my June Whole30, but just wanted to check it again to make sure results were consistent. 

I found so many items at the store that I wanted to try today, such as goat cheese, coconut yogurt, chia yogurt (with no added sweetener of any kind!), a new kind of paleo wrap, etc.... it was hard not to buy everything!, but I am just gonna go slow and steady, will add ONE item at a time, even if it's made with compliant ingredients (the chia yogurt won out this time). Since my digestion has been historically fussy, this will be easier on me and help the reactions (if any) "stand out".

I am seriously considering giving up sugar forever, or at least another 30 days (boy, a lot of feelings come up when I say that). I can feel it taunting me, even though I don't actually "crave" it. Surprisingly, I have not been reaching for the beloved NUTS... go figure!

Hope everyone is feeling brave and strong, empowered to keep walking on this path (whatever that means for you). Glad we're all here.

Before the start of my first Whole 30, I made a list of things I hoped would improve over the course of the challenge.  These are my NSVs:  

Sleeping soundly, more energy, improved moods, improved seasonal allergies, more focused, no more swollen knee, no more headaches, no more heartburn.

I debated on whether or not to weigh myself this morning.  I was thinking maybe a few pounds...5 max.  I hopped on and found I lost 9.5 lbs!  The most successful weight loss I've had in years!  

Maryanne,

That is amazing!  Amazing! Amazing!

Hello Everyone and congrats on all the the acheivements! Never ever thought that there could be something that just fit so so well with just about everyone in the group. I had another sales meeting today all kinds of bad stuff there. I sampled only compliant foods- shrimp cocktail, crab, smoked ham... and just explained to those that wanted me to try decadent desserts that I was staying away from sugar, dairy... We went out to dinner and I had one pot sticker without the soy sauce...Beef and Brocolli no sauce...

My whole thing now is that I am basically going to eat Whole 30 but with the occasional bite of this or that at one meal,

every so often. I am sticking with my black coffee. There were so many imported cheeses today but I had no interest. I have sample cake sets in my fridge and I have no interest in having them... they will all make it intact to my customers on Monday unless my daughter or husband really wants a piece...I really like that the rules were so strict on the Whole 30... the will power is still very strong. I just never want to go back.

My daughter has another tournament this weekend. I am dressing in workout clothes so I can walk in between her matches. My goal this month is to figure out how to get more exercise into my week. I played in a tennis clinic last night and the new lighter me, with more energy is just killin it! I feel so powerful, like an athlete again. Half of the 50 lb sugar bag I have been carrying on my frame is gone and lookin forward to the other half going bye bye too. It will happen slowly but surely if I stay the course... don't want to weigh myself till the end of the month. I swear when I weigh myself more I start to really feel too focused on it... same thing with writing it all down.

Well everyone have a great weekend and give yourself some love! Best, C

Not sure I'm ready for this whole reintroduction thing.

A few questions ... I get the categories we reintroduce (grains, dairy, etc) but what about slowing starting to eat things when I'm not sure what "category" they fit into. Like sauces (mayo, ketchup, etc -- I know I won't be able to make all the compliant sauces) or crackers (these could be whole grain, corn, rice, etc - I miss thin salty crispy things the most and I want to slowly reintroduce them in if they are on the healthier side).

I'm not excited about spending a lot of time with food prep  - not a great attitude with Whole30, right? I found compliant mayo and ketchup in health food stores. 

October 1; 30 days done. I was going to write a poem for this but day is getting ahead of me! Maybe later.

I did get on scale and very happy with the loss. Are we supposed to tell? Anyway, I'm goi g to wait to weigh again until at doc office. About one month away. I think more important for me will be the blood test numbers!

Had my cheese and mushroom omelet today. Plan to have a dollop of sour cream in my potato soup at M2 and some blue cheese crumbles in salad at M3. We shall see how it goes. I have a question tho: do I then revert back to total compliant W30 for the next two days? I think that how it works.

Also ditto to everyones' responses regarding the daily 30 emails! They were worth every bit of the $15 expense! Absolutely agree with all and would encourage anyone planning to do a Whole30 to sign up.

And yahoo! To all of us for being here on this thread!

That's how I understand the reintro of food groups.  One group at a time, something in that group at each meal and the remainder of your meals are Whole 30.  Then Whole 30 compliant for 2 days while you assess any changes you may notice for the reintro of that food group.

So I reintro'd dairy yesterday.  Had some yogurt and butter at M1, yogurt again at M2, and some blue cheese at M3.  My gut was not feeling great yesterday.  This was quite surprising to me as I've never had dairy issues before that I can recall!  I thought I did a proper reintro to dairy with my first W30 and I don't recall feeling like this.  I'm pretty sure it was the dairy and not just a random mild stomach bug.  My stomach was just uncomfortable all day yesterday, and today I feel better.  I'm not sure what to do with this information - does this mean I need to avoid dairy now?  Will I react this way every time I eat dairy now?! But I love cheese...   :(

I think what it means is that if you continue to have the same discomfort when you eat dairy products, you decide if they are worth it to you to eat them.  How much and how often is it worth the amount of discomfort you feel.  You're the only one with the answer. Another of life's choices.

Before the start of my first Whole 30, I made a list of things I hoped would improve over the course of the challenge.  These are my NSVs:  

Sleeping soundly, more energy, improved moods, improved seasonal allergies, more focused, no more swollen knee, no more headaches, no more heartburn.

I debated on whether or not to weigh myself this morning.  I was thinking maybe a few pounds...5 max.  I hopped on and found I lost 9.5 lbs!  The most successful weight loss I've had in years!  

Yeah for all your successes!  Well done!

Boy, I had a moment earlier... I was tired and not at my best. Before I knew what happened, I had grabbed a Lara bar and it was gone. Not a terribly huge deal, except it shows that I'm not quite "there" yet. I don't want to go down that crazy-food-behavior road again! And I have gotta get rid of those bars. I would never do that with an Epic bar!!!

I did weigh in this morning. Down 9.2. Amazing! I didn't have time to measure, but maybe tonight. If i want to continue to see progress, I'll have to be very careful...

Glad to hear others are counting all sorts of victories!

Having non compliant favorites around is definitely dangerous.

I had to laugh at something that happened today. My coworker was going to the grocery store during a break so I asked her to pick me up some pico for my salad. She brought me pico salsa. I looked at the mile long ingredients and cringed. It had cane sugar among a bunch of other things. Fortunately it's day 31 so I put about a teaspoon on my salad, so she didn't feel bad. This has made me much more aware of hidden sugar in things. I also don't want to eat crap like that anymore unless it's my choice. 

Grocery store trips are taking me much longer because of label reading.  Sugar is hidden EVERYWHERE!  No wonder we were addicted.

Archived