The Tiger Tots of the CFC

Crimsann

Hey all

I was on the road and mostly unplugged too.  It was our Canadian Thanksgiving and I ate 100% compliant.  I cheated (or succeeded) though.  We were at my Sister-in-Laws on Saturday for dinner and my brother-in-law made chicken Parmesan sandwiches and homemade (deep fried) French fries.  The Sunday night (at my parents) was a traditional Turkey, Stuffing, Salads and mashed Potato (with dairy).  

Before I left, I made a big salad (x 2, with homemade salad dressing) and three servings of compliant sausage (and mustard).  I also bought cubed Sweet Potato and packed it all up in a cooler for our travels.  I had some fruit and veggies from both places but I stuck to the W30 template 100%.

My daughter did win the muffin competition (my SIL fixed the voting a bit) and I did not even have (or want) a bite of either muffin.

Deserts on Sunday were Fruit custard tarts and apple pie. Neither of these were at all appealing so there was no real temptation or issues.  I told both hosts ahead of time that I was going to eat differently and I was there for the people... There were no issues and I did not feel deprived or shunned in any way.  

Monday was my first day of re-introduction.  I did Legumes.  Natural Peanut butter with apples, poached eggs and sweet potato for M1, Salad with tuna and humus mixed together plus a side of carrots with humus for M2 and chili with white beans, peppers, onion, tomato and ground chicken for M3.  

Felt pretty good and no noticeable concerns yet for legumes.  I was back to sweet potato hash and poached eggs with a banana for M1 today.

Feeling good!

Cheers

DJ

I thought of your response to my last post regarding Canadian Thanksgiving this past weekend. Good for your daughter on the muffin win, and good for you for being compliant during such a gluten-, dairy-, and sugar-filled holiday!

I'm sad to say I couldn't do the same. Two of the three Thanksgiving dinners I went to had almost NO compliant foods (just bagged salad greens, steamed Brussels sprouts, and pieces of turkey sans stuffing), and I couldn't bear to make myself such a sad-looking plate. It was gluten-reintro day anyway, but I kind of just went all out with the non-compliants—even though I'd reacted poorly to goat cheese earlier in the week. Is it possible to be feeling residual brain fog, exhaustion, and general grossness a few days later? I've been Whole30-compliant since the weekend—and plan to continue indefinitely for the most part because this feeling sucks—and I know some things take our bodies longer to react to. But so far I'd only ever been feeling the immediate reactions of non-compliant foods: stomachaches, grouchiness, fatigue, bloating—all of which have lasted for only the subsequent hours following a meal. I suppose, though, that it was three days of non-compliant eating and not just one. Just wondering if it's normal to still feel so out of it.

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two of the three Thanksgiving dinners I went to had almost NO compliant foods (just bagged salad greens, steamed Brussels sprouts, and pieces of turkey sans stuffing), and I couldn't bear to make myself such a sad-looking plate. It was gluten-reintro day anyway, but I kind of just went all out with the non-compliants—even though I'd reacted poorly to goat cheese earlier in the week. Is it possible to be feeling residual brain fog, exhaustion, and general grossness a few days later? I've been Whole30-compliant since the weekend—and plan to continue indefinitely for the most part because this feeling sucks—and I know some things take our bodies longer to react to. But so far I'd only ever been feeling the immediate reactions of non-compliant foods: stomachaches, grouchiness, fatigue, bloating—all of which have lasted for only the subsequent hours following a meal. I suppose, though, that it was three days of non-compliant eating and not just one. Just wondering if it's normal to still feel so out of it.

In short, yes.  :( 

I suggest returning to 100% Whole30 eating until you feel the same way you felt on day 31, and decide where to go from there.

We are also trying, have been for a long time but due to severe anxiety about hospitals as well as suffering from vaginismus I'm only just getting help, I've had initial blood tests which came back all normal, got a laproscopy on Monday to check if there are any issues and I'm so scared- not sleeping, not hungry although I am trying to stay on 3 compliant meals- just a couple of times where I've had a handful of corn chips for meal 2 because it's all I could face. Luckily they are putting me under general so I won't know what is happening- I'm not sure I'd cope otherwise. I really hope I can get through whatever comes- I'm 36 now and feeling the clock ticking- I just can't leave it any longer or it could be too late and I really want kids. I always wanted a big family but at this stage I'll be happy with one! As far as I know there are no issues, I am pretty regular give or take a day so I'm really hoping that the test shows either no issues or something simple that can be fixed quick. 

Sorry to hear you're having trouble trying to conceive.  I've been there, it took us 3 years to get pregnant with my daughter.  Then I had a high risk pregnancy and was told to wait 2 years before starting to try again.  So we have only been trying a few cycles this time.  We have always wanted 4 kids, but I don't see my body producing 3 more heirs for us.  We had actually started the adoption process when I got pregnant with DD, so we are trying to get pregnant again, but I think we'll definitely adopt in the future.

Good luck with the procedure, I had it done a few years ago & it was uncomfortable, but since you'll be sedated no big deal there.  I did have some mild cramping afterwards, but not even as bad as my period.

Has your husband been tested yet?  My DH was such a huge baby about having to go tested.  I wanted to smack him.  I wish all I had to go through for testing was go into a room & "pleasure myself".  I read some infertility message boards at the time & that was a common thread topic.

Have you read the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility?  It's an amazing resource, I highly recommend it to any woman of child-bearing age, whether she wants to get pregnant or not.

Hi

Have been reading and catching up on everyone's news. I am still compliant and my exercise has been upped--vacuum with enthusiasm is a new exercise fad! I give lessons to anyone wishing to learn.

Was at the doctor this other day and was weighed, not good news as I had gained according to her scale but a) too early for me to weigh B) am wearing clothes I have not been able to get my big toe in for years c) it is only a lying piece of equipment!

Time to eat again--this seems to be a regular past time these days.:)

I exercise at home, could never get comfortable at the gym.  Maybe if I'd had someone to gym it would have been better, lol.  Anyway, my motivation is a little twisted, but it's working.  Apart from the fact I REALLY need to be back in shape for a trip we're taking in Dec, I have started streaming seasons of a show I really enjoyed and my elliptical is the only place I allow myself to watch it - I missed the first three seasons, so that ought to take me through enough weeks to get the habit set in.  The part that makes it a bit twisted is the one that pulls me onto the elliptical is America's Next Top Model. :D

Do you have grow lights somewhere in your house for the winter?  Both my brother and grandmother are S.A.D. also - putting one in the reading light and/or desk light seemed to help out quite a bit.

I think I know what you are talking about. I will check it out. I need to try something. 

I actually waiting until today to do another Whole30 restart. I wish I hadn't but I really needed to figure out some emotional issues not all food related. I will say gluten has got to be the worst thing I can consume ever. I had not missed it for so long and then after doing the Whole30 tried again. I felt so many different things at once but the emotional issues-depression, unsatisfying work and home life, and overwhelming responsibilities of everything-got to me. I think I felt so bad that I continued to make myself feel worse by eating what I shouldn't. In the past, I would eat whatever I wanted to and justify it because I had a bad day at work, etc. " I deserve chocolate, ice cream, etc( sweet tooth emotional eater)" was my mindset. This time it was "I can't stand this job/person/chore/day/life so I am going to punish myself by making myself sick." I found a supportive friend and made a few new goals so now I am back on track. I ate completely clean today and only when I was hungry(3x). 

This Whole30 will get me into the middle of November. I plan to continue it straight through Thanksgiving. God willing, even longer. I have a goal to travel Thanksgiving week and will need all the energy I can get. 

Was at the doctor this other day and was weighed, not good news as I had gained according to her scale but a) too early for me to weigh  B) am wearing clothes I have not been able to get my big toe in for years c) it is only a lying piece of equipment!

I weighed myself night before last.  Then I had to pee.  Of course I weighed myself again afterwards, because I am immature & think it's funny to see how much my pee weighs.  I somehow gained .2 pounds while pee-ing.  So, yes, it is a lying piece of equipment!  (Or I'm peeing wrong.)

Has your husband been tested yet?  My DH was such a huge baby about having to go tested.  I wanted to smack him.  I wish all I had to go through for testing was go into a room & "pleasure myself".  I read some infertility message boards at the time & that was a common thread topic.

Have you read the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility?  It's an amazing resource, I highly recommend it to any woman of child-bearing age, whether she wants to get pregnant or not.

Thanks Aggie, I'll get a copy of that, anything that helps me feel in control is good! Yes my other half was tested last January, first test was on the limit of acceptable but he gave up smoking and second test 2 months later was much better. We were told that to be eligible for IVF he needs to lose 30lbs but he hasn't even tried yet, I appreciate it was tough for him giving up smoking but it's so frustrating, if it turns out we have to go down the IVF route we'll then have to wait until he loses weight. Grrr.

Loved your comment about 'peeing right'!!

I weighed myself night before last. Then I had to pee. Of course I weighed myself again afterwards, because I am immature & think it's funny to see how much my pee weighs. I somehow gained .2 pounds while pee-ing. So, yes, it is a lying piece of equipment! (Or I'm peeing wrong.)

I have been GF for 5 years.  I get horribly sick if I eat gluten, to the point that bread isn't even at all tempting to me.  But I still will absent-mindedly grab a piece of bread if the basket is in front of me.  It's a really hard habit to break.  I have to make sure that the bread basket is out of arm's reach to keep myself safe.  Most of my friends know this now & it's become a huge joke.  They say they're going to get a tiny intervention banner to put in front of the rolls at restaurants.

I have the same problem, but am still tempted by bread on occasion.   Particularly if I'm making sandwiches for the hubby and am using the really good smelling rye or pumpernickel.  He has learned to be quick on the grab when the waitress puts a bread basket on the table and moves it away from me, lol.  I saw a new thing in the drugstore and am wondering if it works.  They have pills for "gluten aid" just like the ones for lactose now.  Will not be trying it any time soon since I also have issues with yeast and with wheat itself, but just wondering about it.  If it works, I was thinking it might be handy to have on hand in case of an accidental ingestion.

Today has been the worst mindset I've had since before the Whole30.  OMG!  I felt so bloated this morning and then decided that I'm huge and could see nothing else in the mirror.  I was angry getting dressed and ready for work.  I was angry at being so hungry for breakfast and eating it.  I'm still not quite settled and unsure of where this anger is coming from but I know this is what leads me down bad, bad roads of eating.

I had my Sunday Funday and my fill of beer and sweet gluten treats and I've been compliant ever since.  My face has some pimples from the debauchery and my BMs have been inconsistent.  Maybe I'm still paying for it?  Maybe this is where my mood swing is coming from? I'm also having my period.  ????  BLAH!!  This too shall pass.  This too shall pass.  This too shall pass.

Writing here helps.  Thanks for listening...  Any suggestions on how to get the anger out or change my mindset?  Or how to ride it out without damaging all that I'm working towards?

Today has been the worst mindset I've had since before the Whole30.  OMG!  I felt so bloated this morning and then decided that I'm huge and could see nothing else in the mirror.  I was angry getting dressed and ready for work.  I was angry at being so hungry for breakfast and eating it.  I'm still not quite settled and unsure of where this anger is coming from but I know this is what leads me down bad, bad roads of eating.

I had my Sunday Funday and my fill of beer and sweet gluten treats and I've been compliant ever since.  My face has some pimples from the debauchery and my BMs have been inconsistent.  Maybe I'm still paying for it?  Maybe this is where my mood swing is coming from? I'm also having my period.  ????  BLAH!!  This too shall pass.  This too shall pass.  This too shall pass.

Writing here helps.  Thanks for listening...  Any suggestions on how to get the anger out or change my mindset?  Or how to ride it out without damaging all that I'm working towards?

I really feel for you, I've had similar feelings, I didn't have the 'kill all the things phase' while on whole30 but have made up for it this week! My husband is a bit afraid to be within striking distance! I'm normally such a calm individual, in a way it's nice to let rip a bit (for me, not people around me!) 

I found it helped to write my crazy angry thoughts down then read them back later when I've calmed down and have a good laugh! Also the age old trick of meditation works for me. 

Hey all

Today is non-gluten grains re-introduction.  I had scrambled eggs with veggies in a GF wrap (rice and milled corn) with 1/2 banana for M1.  I am having a big salad with sushi (the kind with salmon on rice) and Coconut aminos for lunch.  I am not sure what protein I will have with dinner but we are having quinoa for a side dish and likely some salad.  I am interested to see how the rest of the day goes!!!

Cheers

DJ

Morning

I feel I have been MIA for a bit, skulking around checking posts but not really adding much myself. So time to fess up.

I have been 100% compliant and feel I was gaining weight so was unhappy, the scale was calling me, I ignored it but then had to go to the doctor. Forced weigh and I gained (according to the lying piece of machinery) and went into a tail-spin. However remained 100% compliant. I complained to my husband that my bra was feeling too tight and I was quietly fretting to myself for a few days because I was sure that meant I was eating too much, doing everything wrong and I was so so so sad. But I have been sleeping so much better, energy is improving daily, my mind is actually clearer and I finally resolved I am not going to veer from this, will carry on and if the number increases so what. I know I am healthier and much much happier (except when I think of tight bra and increased weight).

Situation resolved - suck it up and move along.  Last night when I was getting ready for bed I realized I had been doing my bra up on the last hooks instead of my regular (for a thousand years) middle hooks! 

So the scale has its own agenda and I was too dozzy to notice my bra is in fact bigger around and needed to be done up more snugly. 

I have been laughing about that for a few hours--even phoned a friend to tell her the story.  We both laughed so hard we were crying. What a journey! A lesson in keeping the faith.

Hi everyone!

Still here, just been super busy with life.  I have my first OB appointment on 10/26, let's hope everything goes well.  I've been having a tough time staying compliant for more than one day in a row.  I know it's all psychological because I did this business for 30 days last month!!  Ugh, sucks.  Plus, I'm a candy ADDICT so it being so close to Halloween sucks!!   :angry:

Anyone battling sugar demons this month?!

Morning

I feel I have been MIA for a bit, skulking around checking posts but not really adding much myself. So time to fess up.

I have been 100% compliant and feel I was gaining weight so was unhappy, the scale was calling me, I ignored it but then had to go to the doctor. Forced weigh and I gained (according to the lying piece of machinery) and went into a tail-spin. However remained 100% compliant. I complained to my husband that my bra was feeling too tight and I was quietly fretting to myself for a few days because I was sure that meant I was eating too much, doing everything wrong and I was so so so sad. But I have been sleeping so much better, energy is improving daily, my mind is actually clearer and I finally resolved I am not going to veer from this, will carry on and if the number increases so what. I know I am healthier and much much happier (except when I think of tight bra and increased weight).

Situation resolved - suck it up and move along.  Last night when I was getting ready for bed I realized I had been doing my bra up on the last hooks instead of my regular (for a thousand years) middle hooks! 

So the scale has its own agenda and I was too dozzy to notice my bra is in fact bigger around and needed to be done up more snugly. 

I have been laughing about that for a few hours--even phoned a friend to tell her the story.  We both laughed so hard we were crying. What a journey! A lesson in keeping the faith.

Hi MissLindy,

Reading your post helped me a lot as I'm feeling so many of the same things.  And it gave me a chuckle too.  THANK YOU!

I got a good workout in this afternoon and journaled and I'm feeling better.  Still working on it, but feeling better.

peace.

Yes, I'd say this is where the mood swing is coming from. This on top of the period.... Gluten absolutely effects my moods - highs & oh so very lows.... It is ABSOLUTELY not worth it to me & hasn't been for a very long time. And I learned long before I found Whole30 that of all the 'non-Whole30' foods it takes the longest to get out of my system.

Try upping your starchy carbs over the next few days until your mood settles down.

Hi, Tots! I'm not quite in the Whole30 mindset. I think deciding to do another W30 without giving it much thought was not a wise idea. So I'm going back to my original plan to do one in January. In the meantime, I will keep eating mostly W30 as before, while allowing a couple of non-W30 items in. But I WON'T be eating any sugar, grains or dairy.

I just had a resurgence of the "Kill ALL the things" mode too a little bit ago. Not sure where it came from, but I rode it out and I'm back to my happy self.

misslindy, your bra story made me laugh!

Crimsann, have a great vacay!

AshleyM2484, I'm with you on the sugar dragon battle! But I will NOT give in. I don't want to go back there...

Ok, time to get to work. TGIF!

Hi, Tots! I'm not quite in the Whole30 mindset. I think deciding to do another W30 without giving it much thought was not a wise idea. So I'm going back to my original plan to do one in January. In the meantime, I will keep eating mostly W30 as before, while allowing a couple of non-W30 items in. But I WON'T be eating any sugar, grains or dairy.

I just had a resurgence of the "Kill ALL the things" mode too a little bit ago. Not sure where it came from, but I rode it out and I'm back to my happy self.

Totally with you there!! I'm saying no to sugar, grains and dairy but relaxing a little, my KILL phase is still undulating but is probably down to my immanent hospital visit for my laproscopy rather than food related. (I have a phobia of hospitals)

I totally relate to both you and misslindy. 

Before Whole30 I was still at a fairly healthy weight—a bit heavier than ideal, but still healthy (not that the scale *should* matter…hard mindset to stick to). When I weighed myself on day 31, I was so thrilled to see I'd reached the goal weight I'd set for myself back in January. And then, as I mentioned earlier, I went a bit nuts during Thanksgiving this past weekend, and stepping on the scale just now, I'm 3 lbs up. I'm trying to tell myself the scale is just a piece of garbage, but it's so frustrating that it took a whole month of extremely regimented clean eating to shed the weight I wanted to shed, and a mere three days of holiday indulgence to gain back almost half that. 

It's more frustrating that I've been eating [97%] Whole30 post-Thanksgiving and I just seem to be feeling more and more bloated, and gaining more and more weight. I'm finding myself feeling just…so angry at the universe. A delayed "kill all the things" feeling, if you will. 

My least favourite part of the Whole30 was that I felt like I had to restrict my social plans, because almost all social plans revolve around food/alcohol or take place around the time your stomach starts to grumble. I really want to do another Whole30 because I feel like I'm cheating on my relationship with food by having an affair with the scale, and my mindset is a bit messed up now. I'd felt so good about myself last month, whereas right now I feel like a big, bloated failure. BUT I'm hesitant to commit to another 30 days because I don't want to have to say no to seeing my friends, or always choose staying in and making dinner over going out and doing an activity.

Anyway, just had to get that off my chest. It's true—writing here helps, and I'm glad for the support system here. :)

ETA: I should add that weight loss wasn't my primary goal, but when I saw I'd lost weight after the 30 days it kind of took over my brain, which I've realized isn't a good head space and am now hoping/trying to fix. 

I totally relate to both you and misslindy. 

Before Whole30 I was still at a fairly healthy weight—a bit heavier than ideal, but still healthy (not that the scale *should* matter…hard mindset to stick to). When I weighed myself on day 31, I was so thrilled to see I'd reached the goal weight I'd set for myself back in January. And then, as I mentioned earlier, I went a bit nuts during Thanksgiving this past weekend, and stepping on the scale just now, I'm 3 lbs up. I'm trying to tell myself the scale is just a piece of garbage, but it's so frustrating that it took a whole month of extremely regimented clean eating to shed the weight I wanted to shed, and a mere three days of holiday indulgence to gain back almost half that. 

It's more frustrating that I've been eating [97%] Whole30 post-Thanksgiving and I just seem to be feeling more and more bloated, and gaining more and more weight. I'm finding myself feeling just…so angry at the universe. A delayed "kill all the things" feeling, if you will. 

My least favourite part of the Whole30 was that I felt like I had to restrict my social plans, because almost all social plans revolve around food/alcohol or take place around the time your stomach starts to grumble. I really want to do another Whole30 because I feel like I'm cheating on my relationship with food by having an affair with the scale, and my mindset is a bit messed up now. I'd felt so good about myself last month, whereas right now I feel like a big, bloated failure. BUT I'm hesitant to commit to another 30 days because I don't want to have to say no to seeing my friends, or always choose staying in and making dinner over going out and doing an activity.

Anyway, just had to get that off my chest. It's true—writing here helps, and I'm glad for the support system here. :)

ETA: I should add that weight loss wasn't my primary goal, but when I saw I'd lost weight after the 30 days it kind of took over my brain, which I've realized isn't a good head space and am now hoping/trying to fix. 

EVERYTHING you said!  :)  Thanks for the support and comaderie.  It is so helpful to know others feel the things I feel and remain positive.  I'm still bloated but my mindset is better today (thank goodness!!).  

And of course tonight we have people coming over for dinner....  I'm working on a healthy eating mindset for their visit, it's great that I'm in control of the food options.  It's the alcohol I need to handle with caution.  One glass of wine.  One glass.  One.  One.  One.  :)

TGIF!

EVERYTHING you said!   :)  Thanks for the support and comaderie.  It is so helpful to know others feel the things I feel and remain positive.  I'm still bloated but my mindset is better today (thank goodness!!).  

And of course tonight we have people coming over for dinner....  I'm working on a healthy eating mindset for their visit, it's great that I'm in control of the food options.  It's the alcohol I need to handle with caution.  One glass of wine.  One glass.  One.  One.  One.   :)

TGIF!

I'm glad you're feeling better today! And as for dinner and just one glass of wine—you're in charge, you got this!  :)

Hi All -  There's so much going on in this group right now!  I decided to join the Columbus Crew for another W30.  I'm glad I did.  I didn't really follow a reintro schedule and was kind of trying things as they came.  I really didn't eat very many non-compliant things up until Sunday.  I kinda felt the "oh no! here comes another W30, I must eat bad things."  Actually, Sunday wasn't that terrible and I made conscious decisions to eat the things I did.  There were two things I ate...an amazing and delicious chocolate muffin. I really enjoyed the muffin.  And the muffin eating experience was quite different than before.  Normally I would just devour anything sweet and crave another instantly.  I don't think I ever really enjoyed what I ate before. I was so worried about getting it down as quick as possible.  But, this time was different.  I truly enjoyed every bite. Guilt free.  And I was completely satisfied. I didn't want or crave another.  The only thing I was worried about was the sugar dragon rearing his nasty little head.  I expected to feel terrible after, but I felt okay.  Then for lunch I had a panini...French baguette with pesto, fresh mozzarella, spinach, and tomatoes.  It was delicious. But, again, I found that cheese is not my friend and within the hour had stomach cramps and rumblings.

Sunday night dinner and every meal since has been completely W30 compliant.  Today was the first day I haven't felt " fat" since my Sunday splurge.  And I'm guessing it was probably from the grains/gluten on Sunday.  I didn't feel bloated, per se, but I felt like I had gained weight.  (Unfortunately, it wasn't the same problem MissLindy was having. LOL)

I'm finding comfort in doing another W30. I'm not sure if that is good or bad yet.  But, I feel like my routines are becoming more concrete and my decision to eat clean is becoming more natural.  Prepping meals is just part of the new routine and honestly, grocery shopping is easier than it's ever been.  Plus, I have a ways to go on my 'getting  healthy' journey. I'm proud of how far I've come and feeling quite grateful.  I never in a millions years thought I would be content and satisfied eating this way.

For those struggling....  Struggle is a natural part of any major change.  Just don't let it hold you back, don't let it become your story. It's just a hiccup and you can move on, stronger and more aware than before.  You are in control.

Archived