The Tiger Tots of the CFC

Crimsann

I've got a question for the folks moving on with re-intro.  I've seen some posts about the lack of structure and not feeling as in control as during the program.  Thinking back on my first experience, I had planned to double up but ended up not being able to due to circumstances beyond my control.  I tried to stay eating as clean as I could but slipped back into some old patterns and habits which I'm back here trying to break again.  I think a big part of it for me was dropping the log after I stopped officially being on the W30 program.  I've been thinking a lot about that and I've come to the conclusion that once I did that I was no longer as aware of exactly what and when I was eating.  Absent mindedly reaching for a snack while working or a handful of whatever while sitting at the computer.  Without that accountability at the end of my day, I relaxed a little too far and left part of what I'd learned behind.

The question is this - do you all continue to journal during re-intro and beyond?  Or drop it as you go back about your daily lives?  When I finish the one I'm on, there are a very few foods that I want to reintroduce but the bigger concern is I do NOT want to pick up that munch-fest the afternoon/evening so easily becomes.  How are you all dealing with that? 

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got a question for the folks moving on with re-intro.  I've seen some posts about the lack of structure and not feeling as in control as during the program.  Thinking back on my first experience, I had planned to double up but ended up not being able to due to circumstances beyond my control.  I tried to stay eating as clean as I could but slipped back into some old patterns and habits which I'm back here trying to break again.  I think a big part of it for me was dropping the log after I stopped officially being on the W30 program.  I've been thinking a lot about that and I've come to the conclusion that once I did that I was no longer as aware of exactly what and when I was eating.  Absent mindedly reaching for a snack while working or a handful of whatever while sitting at the computer.  Without that accountability at the end of my day, I relaxed a little too far and left part of what I'd learned behind.

The question is this - do you all continue to journal during re-intro and beyond?  Or drop it as you go back about your daily lives?  When I finish the one I'm on, there are a very few foods that I want to reintroduce but the bigger concern is I do NOT want to pick up that munch-fest the afternoon/evening so easily becomes.  How are you all dealing with that? 

Continuing to plan my meals ahead and writing them out on a form I made up helps me.  Also, I like having some meals made ahead in the freezer so I don't have to spend a lot of prep time every meal.  I've been making lots of soups and freezing them in 1 cup containers.  A nice start and a good way to get in more vegies.  I've even been known to eat some at breakfast.

...I had my Sunday Funday and my fill of beer and sweet gluten treats and I've been compliant ever since.  

Just saw this part of your post... The sweet gluten treats would send me down a road I would probably never be able to come back from. I don't think I could ever handle more than a bit of very dark chocolate. But I don't intend to try it anytime soon. I'm glad you were able to go right back to compliant!

I've got a question for the folks moving on with re-intro. I've seen some posts about the lack of structure and not feeling as in control as during the program... The question is this - do you all continue to journal during re-intro and beyond? Or drop it as you go back about your daily lives? When I finish the one I'm on, there are a very few foods that I want to reintroduce but the bigger concern is I do NOT want to pick up that munch-fest the afternoon/evening so easily becomes. How are you all dealing with that?

Great question. I continue to journal during reintro, noting what I ate and any/all reactions... these notes are invaluable to me later, as I tend to forget the finer details. Most of my reactions are mild to moderate, so having the notes later really helps. It would be different if I had severe and intense reactions to various foods, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Once I'm done with all my reintros, I'll quit the journal and be facing the same challenges you are. I don't want to slip into mindless snacking mode either, even if they are compliant snacks. It's hard, cuz I'm a recovering grazer.

Great question. I continue to journal during reintro, noting what I ate and any/all reactions... these notes are invaluable to me later, as I tend to forget the finer details. Most of my reactions are mild to moderate, so having the notes later really helps. It would be different if I had severe and intense reactions to various foods, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Once I'm done with all my reintros, I'll quit the journal and be facing the same challenges you are. I don't want to slip into mindless snacking mode either, even if they are compliant snacks. It's hard, cuz I'm a recovering grazer.

Vozelle, what goes into your journal - everything you eat and any reactions to it?  Anything elese?

I weighed myself night before last.  Then I had to pee.  Of course I weighed myself again afterwards, because I am immature & think it's funny to see how much my pee weighs.  I somehow gained .2 pounds while pee-ing.  So, yes, it is a lying piece of equipment!  (Or I'm peeing wrong.)

I will never be able to look a scale in the eye again--peeing wrong is a fatal flaw! I am still laughing.

Vozelle, what goes into your journal - everything you eat and any reactions to it? Anything elese?

Also any vitamins/supplements taken, general mood/energy levels, and bowel movements. That's pretty much it. I keep an activity log on a blank calendar for the month, but that's separate.

Good morning, tots! I had tried air popped popcorn with clarified butter a week or so ago, and found that it just didn't thrill me anymore. Then yesterday, I made an interesting discovery. If I used the non-compliant "butter flavor" spray instead of butter, I gobbled it up. I can only conclude that if eating popcorn only tastes good with processed, flavored spray, then I no longer need to be eating it. Interesting experiment...

Things are going mostly great. I had potato chips the other day. NOT a good choice, especially not in the quantity I had. Those are out for now. Maybe someday, I can eat a handful with a meal, instead of a bagful AS a meal. But I won't be trying them again anytime soon. Aside from a couple of beers and the popcorn and chip experiments (FAIL!), I am eating compliant and still loving it. I had dinner with a friend and her daughter over the weekend at their house. They asked all the right questions about what I can have, and my friend's daughter has been reading up on the Whole30. We had a beef roast with carrots and onions in the crockpot with nothing added, and baked sweet potatoes. I brought salad, and clarified butter and oil/vinegar dressing since I figured they wouldn't have either. My friend's grandkids were thrilled with the salad, as they are truly raw veggie lovers--they don't even put dressing on it!

I still plan another W30, but I'm comfortable with how things are going now that I am learning how to judge what things are ok and what things are not. I am still amazed at how much of a difference the W30 has made in my head. Amazed and SO grateful!

Wow. I could have written this. I stopped journaling and while I feel out of control, I've not gone out of control.....yet. I'm thinking of going back to the journal and starting another W30 in November. Perhaps not THE best month because of thanksgiving, but I'm cooking, so can be in control. Not totally sold on that. January would probably be better.

Anyway, hanging in--the snack dragon is my biggest problem. Has always been. It even kicks in when I'm busy and not bored. Hard time figuring this one out. I'm going to turn into a boiled egg!

Hi everyone!

Still here, just been super busy with life.  I have my first OB appointment on 10/26, let's hope everything goes well.  I've been having a tough time staying compliant for more than one day in a row.  I know it's all psychological because I did this business for 30 days last month!!  Ugh, sucks.  Plus, I'm a candy ADDICT so it being so close to Halloween sucks!!   :angry:

Anyone battling sugar demons this month?!

YES! And have been thinking about candy. And thinking about which candy would be best. I have walked swiftly by the Halloween candy shelves. Have picked up and then put back taffy apples...several times on the last few trips to the store, literally talking myself out of purchasing--and sometimes within earshot of other shoppers. If they check video in the store during the day, I'm sure I look like a crazy person! Once I'm home from the store, I think how nice it would be to have a few jelly bellies or some caramel chocolate. Argh! Last night I raided the hubby's M&M jar. Lucky it was the bottom of the barrel and there were only about ten. Didn't open the new bag. These normally don't entice me at all. Grr! I'm able to be compliant just about every other day and only have a piece of cheese or half a bagel on non compliant days.

YES! And have been thinking about candy. And thinking about which candy would be best. I have walked swiftly by the Halloween candy shelves. Have picked up and then put back taffy apples...several times on the last few trips to the store, literally talking myself out of purchasing--and sometimes within earshot of other shoppers. If they check video in the store during the day, I'm sure I look like a crazy person! Once I'm home from the store, I think how nice it would be to have a few jelly bellies or some caramel chocolate. Argh! Last night I raided the hubby's M&M jar. Lucky it was the bottom of the barrel and there were only about ten. Didn't open the new bag. These normally don't entice me at all. Grr! I'm able to be compliant just about every other day and only have a piece of cheese or half a bagel on non compliant days.

OMG...  Thank goodness I'm not the only one, lol.  People give you such weird looks when you're standing in the store arguing with yourself.  Yesterday, while I was busy picking things up and putting them back, I gave myself a sharp "What are you doing? Put that back, you do NOT need that!" before I made it out of the salty snack section of the store. :D  Why is it you are never the only one in the aisle when you say something out loud to yourself?

Also any vitamins/supplements taken, general mood/energy levels, and bowel movements. That's pretty much it. I keep an activity log on a blank calendar for the month, but that's separate.

Great info to record, Vozelle.  Makes it much easier to narrow down any problems.  I'm going to hand write that info on my daily menu printout. Thanks for sharing.

Good morning, tots! I had tried air popped popcorn with clarified butter a week or so ago, and found that it just didn't thrill me anymore. Then yesterday, I made an interesting discovery. If I used the non-compliant "butter flavor" spray instead of butter, I gobbled it up. I can only conclude that if eating popcorn only tastes good with processed, flavored spray, then I no longer need to be eating it. Interesting experiment...

Things are going mostly great. I had potato chips the other day. NOT a good choice, especially not in the quantity I had. Those are out for now. Maybe someday, I can eat a handful with a meal, instead of a bagful AS a meal. But I won't be trying them again anytime soon. Aside from a couple of beers and the popcorn and chip experiments (FAIL!), I am eating compliant and still loving it. I had dinner with a friend and her daughter over the weekend at their house. They asked all the right questions about what I can have, and my friend's daughter has been reading up on the Whole30. We had a beef roast with carrots and onions in the crockpot with nothing added, and baked sweet potatoes. I brought salad, and clarified butter and oil/vinegar dressing since I figured they wouldn't have either. My friend's grandkids were thrilled with the salad, as they are truly raw veggie lovers--they don't even put dressing on it!

I still plan another W30, but I'm comfortable with how things are going now that I am learning how to judge what things are ok and what things are not. I am still amazed at how much of a difference the W30 has made in my head. Amazed and SO grateful!

Nancy, Boulder Canyon makes yummy Sea Salt chips that have only compliant ingredients.  Just Sea Salt - no Malt Vinegar Sea Salt. Many of their other flavors have additives with non compliant ingredients.  I save them for a "treat" because chips in general are not a great way to get vegies.  I've have had no bad reaction to them.  You can find a local retailer on the Boulder Canyon site http://www.bouldercanyonfoods.com/.

When I woke up this morning, lounging around in bed and thinking: a) didn't really want to get up B) listing all the things I have to do in town today and c) realizing when I go in the supermarket I don't even go down so many of the aisles, Basically now all I have to do is the perimeter. Just the meats and veg aisles, fish, occasionally have to venture into the coffee/tea and coconut milk aisle, now will have to wander through the dairy section to pick up butter to make Ghee. Makes my shopping so much quicker and much less hassle. We don't even use laundry powders anymore  so can avoid that completely too! (we do wash our selves and our clothes: use Bronners soap, Soap nuts, or the enviro ball or some combination of all three with Eucalyptus oil)

Anyway now that food shopping has become much less of a chore, I have time for other things.

Food has not been the problem for me on this journey. I just discovered yesterday what I have been doing, put the blinders on, follow the programme and lose weight. Well now I realize this is not about weight for me. I can follow any programme and do it without fail, but realizing that the entire weight thing is so messing with my head that has to change before this can be entrenched. So have been doing a lot of thinking, sorting and shifting of the cobwebs. I haven't lost the weight I wanted to and have had to have a long look at why not and what else is going on. I know the programme is working as I am wearing smaller clothes, sleeping like a top and sustained energy consistently: those things in themselves are huge for me. So this is truly, mind, body and spirit process that has to be addressed, at least in my case.

OMG, me too!! I was at Target today and muttering to myself as I walked through the store. I finally escaped with just some pistachios. Whew!

OMG...  Thank goodness I'm not the only one, lol.  People give you such weird looks when you're standing in the store arguing with yourself.  Yesterday, while I was busy picking things up and putting them back, I gave myself a sharp "What are you doing? Put that back, you do NOT need that!" before I made it out of the salty snack section of the store. :D  Why is it you are never the only one in the aisle when you say something out loud to yourself?

Apparently, we are to be the entertainment for other shoppers...  :P

Nancy, Boulder Canyon makes yummy Sea Salt chips that have only compliant ingredients.  Just Sea Salt - no Malt Vinegar Sea Salt. Many of their other flavors have additives with non compliant ingredients.  I save them for a "treat" because chips in general are not a great way to get vegies.  I've have had no bad reaction to them.  You can find a local retailer on the Boulder Canyon site http://www.bouldercanyonfoods.com/.

For chips, it's not the ingredients that are the biggest problem for me. It's the fact that they're...well...CHIPS! Although they do upset my stomach somewhat, the biggest problem is what they do in my head. Better off without...

misslindy, those numbers can sure do a number on us, can't they?? It really is a mind/body/spirit issue--all three need to be working!

OMG, me too!! I was at Target today and muttering to myself as I walked through the store. I finally escaped with just some pistachios. Whew!

Apparently, we are to be the entertainment for other shoppers...  :P

For chips, it's not the ingredients that are the biggest problem for me. It's the fact that they're...well...CHIPS! Although they do upset my stomach somewhat, the biggest problem is what they do in my head. Better off without...

misslindy, those numbers can sure do a number on us, can't they?? It really is a mind/body/spirit issue--all three need to be working!

I can relate Nancy.  There are a lot of things I can't have in my house; the temptation is too great.

I've made a lot of not-the-best food choices over the past several days.  Not horrible, better than I was doing before my W30s, but just not the best.  I really want to step it back up, so trying to decide what that's going to look like over the next few days/weeks/etc.

No one has mentioned exercise in a few days, how is that going?  The Aussie spring weather has been pretty glorious here, so we've been really active.  And I went to a new boot camp class on Monday & it was really haaard.  I'm going back to my normal fitness class tomorrow for a bit of a break, but think I will go to the hard one again on Friday.

I've made a lot of not-the-best food choices over the past several days.  Not horrible, better than I was doing before my W30s, but just not the best.  I really want to step it back up, so trying to decide what that's going to look like over the next few days/weeks/etc.

No one has mentioned exercise in a few days, how is that going?  The Aussie spring weather has been pretty glorious here, so we've been really active.  And I went to a new boot camp class on Monday & it was really haaard.  I'm going back to my normal fitness class tomorrow for a bit of a break, but think I will go to the hard one again on Friday.

Hi

I have been doing exercise and am amazed at myself, walking further, cleaning house more enthusiastically, biking more. Some things I have to be careful of but am still moving! Weather has been less than stellar so not swimming or water walking--that's in the water not on it, but hopefully it will warm up and I can do that daily soon.

Morning All

I was having twenty fits this morning because my computer wouldn't go online so couldn't email, post or anything. Then decided it might be a good thing and got on with other chores etc, and now it is working. Honest to goodness, how things change when I become more accepting of the situation--is there a lesson here????

Yes, still exercising! Been reading some Paleo books lately, and they talk about ways of moving and staying active that make so much sense, I'm lovin it. Less routine, more fun and natural. : )

The books: The Paleo Solution (Robb Wolf) and The Paleo Diet (Loren Cordain)

Yes, still exercising! Been reading some Paleo books lately, and they talk about ways of moving and staying active that make so much sense, I'm lovin it. Less routine, more fun and natural. : )

The books: The Paleo Solution (Robb Wolf) and The Paleo Diet (Loren Cordain)

Both of those are on my to-read list.  Your post makes me want to read them more.  But I've been craving fiction the past couple of weeks.  Reading The Uglies Quartet by Scott Westerfeld right now.  Really entertaining read, I've gone through the first 2 books in 4 days.  I'll probably finish the series off in the next week, so maybe I'll jump into The Paleo Solution then.

Good Morning Tiger Tots,

I've been reading posts daily but haven't had the time to chime in and also not much to say.  I'm still 98% Whole30.  I lick honey (from the local farm) and almond butter off the butter knife some mornings after making toast for my boys and I had a wine last weekend.  Other than that, I'm enjoying healthy food and it feels good.  I'm feeling much better since my period ended too.  That was a rough week...a very rough week.

Oh, and I have rearranged one thing to better suit my life and I'm liking it.  I eat breakfast at 7am.  Lunch at 11:30am.  Arrive home from work at 4pm.  I am getting hungry at that point and start dinner at 5pm.  So, some days I snack at 4pm and some days I power through until 5:30-6pm dinner.  I was feeling very guilty every day I chose to eat an apple, egg, and coconut butter.  And feeling very deprived everyday I chose not to eat.  So, I decided not to eat my fruit at lunch and instead to eat it at 4pm with an egg and pumpkin seeds or coconut butter.  I'm trying this for the week and not feeling guilty.  So far so good.

Happy Wednesday to you and good eats!

peace.

Good Morning Tiger Tots,

I've been reading posts daily but haven't had the time to chime in and also not much to say.  I'm still 98% Whole30.  I lick honey (from the local farm) and almond butter off the butter knife some mornings after making toast for my boys and I had a wine last weekend.  Other than that, I'm enjoying healthy food and it feels good.  I'm feeling much better since my period ended too.  That was a rough week...a very rough week.

Oh, and I have rearranged one thing to better suit my life and I'm liking it.  I eat breakfast at 7am.  Lunch at 11:30am.  Arrive home from work at 4pm.  I am getting hungry at that point and start dinner at 5pm.  So, some days I snack at 4pm and some days I power through until 5:30-6pm dinner.  I was feeling very guilty every day I chose to eat an apple, egg, and coconut butter.  And feeling very deprived everyday I chose not to eat.  So, I decided not to eat my fruit at lunch and instead to eat it at 4pm with an egg and pumpkin seeds or coconut butter.  I'm trying this for the week and not feeling guilty.  So far so good.

Happy Wednesday to you and good eats!

peace.

Good for you, finding a way to make healthy eating fit your life.  The key to success.

OMG.  Y'all.  I am in shock.  I'm pregnant.

Gotta figure out how to tell my husband.  He's offshore, so it's gotta be over the phone.  Hopefully FaceTime so I can see his face when he reacts.

Best NSV ever!  3 months & 2 W30s.  It took 3 years & a lot of ice cream last time  :D

Archived