The Tiger Tots of the CFC

Crimsann

OMG.  Y'all.  I am in shock.  I'm pregnant.

Gotta figure out how to tell my husband.  He's offshore, so it's gotta be over the phone.  Hopefully FaceTime so I can see his face when he reacts.

Best NSV ever!  3 months & 2 W30s.  It took 3 years & a lot of ice cream last time  :D

YEAH, you! Many congrats!!

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gotta figure out how to tell my husband.  He's offshore, so it's gotta be over the phone.  Hopefully FaceTime so I can see his face when he reacts.

Best NSV ever!  3 months & 2 W30s.  It took 3 years & a lot of ice cream last time  :D

So so so very happy for youuuuuuu!!  

I have been absent for a week now. It has been a rough week. I didn't restart but I have been mostly compliant with most meals. I needed to deal with my emotional issues-what leads me to eat my feelings, why are my feelings so bad and result in bad food choices. I am getting back on track there so I feel I can make better food choices now. I have to because the health problems I had before are being triggered. The Whole30 allowed me to regain focus among many other things. I need that focus to be on me and I need to be in control. 

I feel better reading that I am not the only one struggling to eat clean. 

Wonderful news--congrats to all of you!

I have been absent for a week now. It has been a rough week. I didn't restart but I have been mostly compliant with most meals. I needed to deal with my emotional issues-what leads me to eat my feelings, why are my feelings so bad and result in bad food choices. I am getting back on track there so I feel I can make better food choices now. I have to because the health problems I had before are being triggered. The Whole30 allowed me to regain focus among many other things. I need that focus to be on me and I need to be in control. 

It takes time to form new habits.  It's so easy to resort to familiar and comfortable ones like we did in the past, especially in times of stress.  Hang in there and find other ways to get stress relief and comfort.  Be good to yourself.  Wshing you well.

How exciting! Very happy for you.

So I had food boredom and decided to try a new recipe. Made Chicken Cabbage Stew in the crock pot... it was totally delicious, but then I got the WORST cramps and gas, for over 24 hours... Ugh!! Just crawling out from under that rock now. I can't recall the last time I ate any cooked cabbage, so I wouldn't have even thought it might cause a problem.

Now that I think about it, I had this same reaction a few years ago when I ate too many Brussels Sprouts. What does this mean? Do I have a problem with cruciferous vegetables? I have never had issues with kale, collards, bok choy or broccoli... hm, confused. And cabbage turned into sauerkraut must be a totally different animal, because I never have problems with that!

Any moderators out there with info/advice?

So I had food boredom and decided to try a new recipe. Made Chicken Cabbage Stew in the crock pot... it was totally delicious, but then I got the WORST cramps and gas, for over 24 hours... Ugh!! Just crawling out from under that rock now. I can't recall the last time I ate any cooked cabbage, so I wouldn't have even thought it might cause a problem.

Now that I think about it, I had this same reaction a few years ago when I ate too many Brussels Sprouts. What does this mean? Do I have a problem with cruciferous vegetables? I have never had issues with kale, collards, bok choy or broccoli... hm, confused. And cabbage turned into sauerkraut must be a totally different animal, because I never have problems with that!

If you're fine with broccoli but not fine with cabbage & sprouts I'd say your problem is more likely to be FODMAPs than cruciferous veg.

The thing with FODMAPs though is that everyone tolerates them differently, and in varying quantities. Most people who find them problematic can eat a small amount of most, but eat a high FODMAP at each meal, or every day over the course of a couple of days & that's when the problems arise.

There's a lot of trial & error in figuring out what works for you.

Take a look at this infographic for a guide on what you should maybe avoid for now & then treat them like the non compliant food items & reintro accordingly...

Not posted for a while, not stayed compliant this week, had my laparoscopy on Monday and it showed no problems, so four years trying and it just seems that it's not to be for whatever reason the universe has conspired against us having kids. I wish there had been some reason, something that could be fixed. On top of that I had a bad reaction to the general anaesthetic so been ill this week, skipped meals, eaten bread and chocolate, generally feel crap. I really thought the whole 30 would help but think it's time to give it up, may as well try and enjoy life if I don't need to stay healthy for kids.

@abiswarbrick  I'm so sorry to hear you're feeling so defeated by your infertility journey.  I've been there, I get it, it's awful.  I wish I had some amazing words of encouragement or advice.  Miracles do happen though, don't give up.  

I would encourage you to not give up on W30 completely though.  It took more than one W30 for my ovaries to get their act together.  But, take some time away if you need it.

Lots of hugs & prayers for you.

Not posted for a while, not stayed compliant this week, had my laparoscopy on Monday and it showed no problems, so four years trying and it just seems that it's not to be for whatever reason the universe has conspired against us having kids. I wish there had been some reason, something that could be fixed. On top of that I had a bad reaction to the general anaesthetic so been ill this week, skipped meals, eaten bread and chocolate, generally feel crap. I really thought the whole 30 would help but think it's time to give it up, may as well try and enjoy life if I don't need to stay healthy for kids.

So sorry that things are not working out for you. Consider yourself hugged! And give yourself the hug of another W30 as soon as you feel up to it. I found that the damage isn't necessarily undone in 30 days. It may take longer, no matter what the issue is.

The emotional issues are the ones that I've had the toughest time dealing with. Even though I'm no longer in the marriage that left me eating out of loneliness, eating for comfort has become a hard habit to break. It's much better than it used to be, so I'm thinking another W30 will do much to help me end it. I can already hear the voices in my head :wacko: changing their tune! I heard a song on the radio this morning, some young chick singing about "need you to put the light back into my eyes" and my internal voice said, "Honey, put that light back in your OWN eyes!!!"

Oh dear... I have always been able to eat cauliflower with abandon and suffer no ill effects, but while breastfeeding my daughter 33 years ago, I found that SHE couldn't tolerate it at all! I'll have to ask her if she has any issues with it now... :P

Here's yesterday's lost post: I did some off-roading on Wednesday. I knew that pizza would cause a problem, but because of a sense of occasion at work, I ate (and really enjoyed) a couple of slices along with garlic bread and a cupcake. I suffered the ill effects of the cheese and bread and that cleared up quickly. Won't do that often though. I planned to have one cupcake and keep an eye on the situation. I ate a dinner compliant in ingredients and template, and have continued to do that. And I have no cravings. I won't be doing that again soon, because it's not a sure thing by any means, but the occasion and the cupcake were both worth it!

Congrats... best of luck!

If you're fine with broccoli but not fine with cabbage & sprouts I'd say your problem is more likely to be FODMAPs than cruciferous veg.

The thing with FODMAPs though is that everyone tolerates them differently, and in varying quantities. Most people who find them problematic can eat a small amount of most, but eat a high FODMAP at each meal, or every day over the course of a couple of days & that's when the problems arise.

There's a lot of trial & error in figuring out what works for you.

Take a look at this infographic for a guide on what you should maybe avoid for now & then treat them like the non compliant food items & reintro accordingly...

Thanks for the info and suggestion! Researching FODMAP issues now... : )

So sorry that things are not working out for you. Consider yourself hugged! And give yourself the hug of another W30 as soon as you feel up to it. I found that the damage isn't necessarily undone in 30 days. It may take longer, no matter what the issue is.

Yes, can DEFINITELY take looooooonger.... Working with a functional medicine practitioner is a must before giving up!! Good luck abiswarbrick, we'll be rooting for you!

Hey all...

I have been busy but doing well... I have done all of my re-introductions (except gluten containing grains).  I did not really have any significant issues or symptoms.  I had some minor GI upsets but no acid reflux (my telltale sign that I am going off the cliff) or other discomforts.   Still, I am continuing on with my W30 way of eating.  I was supposed to do wheat on Wednesday but I was on the road (rails actually) with my team travelling to Toronto.  As such, I stuck with full W30 and don't know when I will do wheat (if I even bother).

After reading all the posts with symptoms, reactions and negative impacts, I feel almost "cheated" that I did not have any really bad reactions this time (dairy bothered me on my first W30 re-introduction).  I did find myself down/sad the day after non-gluten grain introduction but again nothing earth shattering.  I am OK with the outcome but will likely continue 98% W30 for the foreseeable future.  Again, with Halloween coming fast, I need the "control" of the program to help keep me from a nutritional death spiral!

My back is now good enough to do workouts again.  It is so nice to get back to working out again (after three weeks off workouts).  I am sore again but it is a good sore!

Great to check in again today.  

Cheers

DJ

Hello All-

I finally found plantains in a grocery store yesterday!  Today has been grand.  I sliced up my first green one for breakfast and fried it in some coconut oil.  I added salt when I put them on the plate.  I ate it with some of my pork breakfast sausage that I made with local cranberries, poblano peppers, and shredded apples and a fried egg.  So delicious!

Then I fried up another one for lunch.  Again.  I'm in love.

I wonder what I'm having for dinner?!?!?  ;)

These past few weeks have been W30 sustainable most of the time.  Last night I went to a gathering and there were mini-cupcakes every where.  So tiny.  I hadn't eaten dinner and chose not to sample, taste, eat, or ingest any of those tiny beauties.  Made me happy to have that control.  I didn't feel deprived, I just knew that it wasn't the right time.  I'm feeling the same about Halloween candy.  Which makes me so so so happy!  I've come along way with treats and not just since this September Whole30...I've been working on this for years...some years better than others...but right now feels really damn good.  I wish that for all of you who are struggling right now.  Be patient.  Day by day.  No guilt.  Just keep working towards what you want even if you miss the mark one meal, one day, one week, one month....

peace to all

I love plantains. :)  Although, the first time I bought and fried them I didn't realize there was a HUGE difference between the green plantain and the yellow plantain and could NOT figure out it wasn't coming out like the directions said they would, lol.  They were incredibly tasty that way, but probably not the best for someone trying to beat sugar dragon.  Quartered, browned, smashed, and browned again the green plantain makes a pretty decent little bun too. :)

Hello All-

I finally found plantains in a grocery store yesterday!  Today has been grand.  I sliced up my first green one for breakfast and fried it in some coconut oil.  I added salt when I put them on the plate.  I ate it with some of my pork breakfast sausage that I made with local cranberries, poblano peppers, and shredded apples and a fried egg.  So delicious!

Then I fried up another one for lunch.  Again.  I'm in love.

I wonder what I'm having for dinner?!?!?   ;)

These past few weeks have been W30 sustainable most of the time.  Last night I went to a gathering and there were mini-cupcakes every where.  So tiny.  I hadn't eaten dinner and chose not to sample, taste, eat, or ingest any of those tiny beauties.  Made me happy to have that control.  I didn't feel deprived, I just knew that it wasn't the right time.  I'm feeling the same about Halloween candy.  Which makes me so so so happy!  I've come along way with treats and not just since this September Whole30...I've been working on this for years...some years better than others...but right now feels really damn good.  I wish that for all of you who are struggling right now.  Be patient.  Day by day.  No guilt.  Just keep working towards what you want even if you miss the mark one meal, one day, one week, one month....

peace to all

I, too, have found freedom from the disordered eating thoughts/behaviors that have plagued me since before high school. I was able to have a special meal with my parents last night that included bread dumplings (mom always makes sauerbraten for dad's birthday dinner--he turns 81 today!). I ate what I planned to, and turned down an offer of more to take home--didn't need it! That meal last night was enough. The wonderful sense of occasion was more important than having more of the food. Feeling SO lucky that my parents are 80 & 81 and are still vibrant and healthy and fun to be around! And feeling lucky that I learned how to love the occasion more than the food--thanks to the Whole30 for making that possible!

And P.S. Note to self: Try plantains!! 

Congratulations! I'm so happy for you.

Well, I am still on the "no-sugar train", and it's going ok… But I am looking forward to a special treat when this month is over. There have been so many social occasions this month, with various dessert offerings and delicacies that I gracefully declined, and I am tired of doing that. I was never a "binge" sugar-eater, could always maintain reasonable proportions, so I'm looking forward to incorporating an occasional treat back into my life and really enjoying it for all it's worth when I do. Main goal is to not let sugary things enter back into my DAILY life… those handfuls of chocolate chips, trail mix, sweet nuts, etc. had become waaaaay too frequent for me. Always wanted a "hit" after a meal, even if it was small. I figure I just won't keep any sugar or sweets in the house, and only enjoy such things on special occasions when I'm out… maybe a few times a month. That's the plan for now, anyway... one day at a time.

Nice to hear everyone's stories and check-ins. : )

Well, I am still on the "no-sugar train", and it's going ok… But I am looking forward to a special treat when this month is over. There have been so many social occasions this month, with various dessert offerings and delicacies that I gracefully declined, and I am tired of doing that. I was never a "binge" sugar-eater, could always maintain reasonable proportions, so I'm looking forward to incorporating an occasional treat back into my life and really enjoying it for all it's worth when I do. Main goal is to not let sugary things enter back into my DAILY life… those handfuls of chocolate chips, trail mix, sweet nuts, etc. had become waaaaay too frequent for me. Always wanted a "hit" after a meal, even if it was small. I figure I just won't keep any sugar or sweets in the house, and only enjoy such things on special occasions when I'm out… maybe a few times a month. That's the plan for now, anyway... one day at a time.

Nice to hear everyone's stories and check-ins. : )

I think my goal in handling sweets is to be sure that 1) they are WORTH it; 2) there is a sense of true occasion involved; and/or 3) I can go back to no sugar till I make the conscious decision to have my next sweet treat (THIS is the most important part!!). So far, I've been able to walk past any candy dishes (or large orange pumpkins) filled with seasonal treats. I pray that I can continue to do this!

Happy Monday, Tiger Tots! I'm off to continue audit prep. By the time Thanksgiving arrives, we will be done with the audit and on to the holidays!

I think my goal in handling sweets is to be sure that 1) they are WORTH it; 2) there is a sense of true occasion involved; and/or 3) I can go back to no sugar till I make the conscious decision to have my next sweet treat (THIS is the most important part!!). So far, I've been able to walk past any candy dishes (or large orange pumpkins) filled with seasonal treats. I pray that I can continue to do this!

Happy Monday, Tiger Tots! I'm off to continue audit prep. By the time Thanksgiving arrives, we will be done with the audit and on to the holidays!

Love your 3 guidelines/ideas... totally going to adopt them! Thanks for sharing!

Hi Everyone

Have been lurking again but not posting, some of it due to time and I need my fix before heading out to the daily routine--which has been anything but daily or routine lately. I keep planning on getting my days where I want them and then get sidetracked. Perhaps the idea is not to plan.

I had two social events I was fretting about food wise and had planned to take food along--talk about a comedy of errors. I had it all planned then got mixed up which days were which and instead of next week one was last week, I wasn't ready and then forgot the items I had planned to take. I decided it wasn't the end of the world perhaps life is meant to be lived not in a constant state of stress. Got there and what was on offer was W30 compliant and not a problem. The later function was no problem to avoid everything that was not compliant. No one noticed and no one cared, had an early dinner when we got home and another day in the bag! Then the next social event I over-thought and finally decided go with the flow--they offered an honest to goodness Paleo breakfast, spinach, salmon, egg, tomato, avocado. Well knock me down with a feather. Stop worrying could be a good way to go.

Now that I am through laughing at myself for being so serious about it all, I have been a bit down because regardless of perfect compliance I don't see much change in my body or weight (haven't weighed myself) but do not feel things have shifted at all since the first couple of weeks. So while I am still committed to staying on programme because I am sleeping so much better and have much more sustained energy, I would prefer to do it in much smaller clothes. I know we all react to this in our own way and own time and do believe sticking on plan will be the way--my biggest problem is I am more like the hare than the tortoise--mind you we all know what happened to him. Sigh. Must dig deep and find my tortoise energy I guess.

More babies in this group--the baby shower will be bigger and bigger!  :) 

Archived