The Tiger Tots of the CFC

Crimsann

Hi all! I'm back with an apology for my outburst of a couple of weeks ago, I was feeling really bad after my op and had gone seriously into black dog/hate the world territory. Thank you for messages of support (I had thought I'd get barred for such negativity). I've had a really bad past couple of weeks in terms of mood/food/life but I am beginning to climb back out again now. I've discovered that at the moment I need whole30 to be whole30, not 5 days out of 7 or 80/20 or any other combination. Trouble is at this time of year I have social events that would be made really awkward by trying to stay whole30. I'm in a situation where I know whole30 is best for me physically and mentally but in order to follow it properly I would have to miss out on some events and with my mood at the moment it would be too easy to become a hermit, another problem is that getting out of bed and to work is taking all my energy at the moment so I'm going for convenience over good choices. I recognise that it's not me, it's the depression but I'm beating myself up about my diet- worried about putting weight back on, using food as comfort etc.

@Half_pint Aggie: I know it's belated but I send heartfelt congratulations on your pregnancy!!

abiswarbrick, welcome back! I know you've been having a tough time. I understand the hermit/getting out of bed thing--that's most of my winter! I've suffered from depression most of my adult life. Suckage. 

Okay, I think I'm all caught up on the reading...and it looks like I need to say SORRY!  I thought I had posted that I would be out for three weeks, and it turns out I sort of forgot to mention it.  I work all the time, this is well documented, so when I take off I literally unplug for a significant chunk of time.  I think it's the only thing that allows me to keep up the pace the rest of the year. 

Didn't mean to pull a vanishing act! 

I'm especially interested in some of the comments about being concerned about the Thanksgiving holiday coming up...I had actually thought, possibly sort of naievely, that this one would be super easy.  So many of the traditional base ingredients are compliant, turkey, pumpkin, cranberry, green beans, sweet potatoes, surely it wouldn't be impossible to do a Whole30 meal that looked nearly 100% traditional at the same time?  Maybe we should take this on as a group challenge.  Identify a traditional dish, and find the nearest comparable Whole30 recipe.  See if we can build up an entire menu. 

Probably easy for me to say though, my family long since abandoned the home cooked meal for eating out which is something that horrifies me every year.  I've probably lost touch with what a temptation the real deal offers!  Let me tell you, last years rubbery ham with canned fruit cocktail on top of it...the "star" of the diner they chose, does not offer even the slightest temptation.  I would gladly trade that in for a single raw carrot stick, so coming up with a Whole30 meal of any kind would easily please me.  LOL!

I remember doing a sort of sweet potato gratin that was Paleo but not Whole30 back in August and finding it something that could border on too good to have around.  That would make a great side dish guys, indulgent enough to be a holiday treat, but still very clean eating.  I will dig that one up and poke around some more as well.  I know the PaleOMG blog is kicking off two weeks of Thanskgiving recipe-a-day starting today (or it might have been yesterday) and while I know her things won't be all Whole30 either, there will definitely be some good clean choices to add to the conversation. 

My Thanksgiving will be very easy. It'll just be my mom & dad and I. The rest of the family will be with their inlaw families. We've planned a very simple menu with just the things that are most important to us. Friday will be fun too. That's the day my whole family will be together. We're calling it "Fri-giving." And we'll probably have Qdoba cater. Could be worse! 

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lovely to have you back, Crimmsan. Glad you had such a good time.

I think part of the 'no weight gain' is because this programme changes our minds, our bodies and our physical/emotional reaction to food. My friend who did this a few months ago says she can eat what previously would have added pounds of unwanted person, and now does not. Mind you she prefers to eat this way so her 'off roading' days are few but she doesn't worry about it like before and gets back to what she prefers almost immediately. Her biggest problem is not feeling well when not eating whole foods.

I think I need another W30 or maybe a W45 or 60 before I can begin to handle foods I struggle with now. I'm just grateful that it's even a possibility!

I think I need another W30 or maybe a W45 or 60 before I can begin to handle foods I struggle with now. I'm just grateful that it's even a possibility!

Nancy, so what if you need more time? I do too and I am sure many others are in that boat. Instead of looking at how far we have to go perhaps it is helpful to think how far we have come. Or at the very least, that we have started at all.

I have traditionally been so hard on myself for every little thing and go over and over and over all my mistakes. It gets my cortisol revved up and I get into a loop that is worse than a mouse on a wheel. I decided I had to stop that crazy making thinking and have concentrated on one meal at a time. It is not so easy some days and there are times I avoid situations rather than go forward because I just don't want to explain or justify what I am doing. That is, being a bit cowardly but I do not have to justify how I nourish my body or how I chose to live and there are times it is just too hard to explain that to people and I don't have the energy. It all comes back to me, really. I feel a bit uncomfortable being seen to be or being a bit different or difficult and worry what others will think of me. That's my problem not theirs or the programme, and I am dealing with it in my way in my time.

It is not difficult for me to stay on programme but I have a different situation to some, I am home most of the time and have more control over my meals and the content, especially since I do most of the shopping as well. I do find with this way of eating I no longer have to think of food as much as I did, and it is no longer the enemy.

I kind of veered off here but I meant to say, give yourself a break and do what you need to do when you are ready. :)

Nancy, so what if you need more time? I do too and I am sure many others are in that boat. Instead of looking at how far we have to go perhaps it is helpful to think how far we have come. Or at the very least, that we have started at all.

I have traditionally been so hard on myself for every little thing and go over and over and over all my mistakes. It gets my cortisol revved up and I get into a loop that is worse than a mouse on a wheel. I decided I had to stop that crazy making thinking and have concentrated on one meal at a time. It is not so easy some days and there are times I avoid situations rather than go forward because I just don't want to explain or justify what I am doing. That is, being a bit cowardly but I do not have to justify how I nourish my body or how I chose to live and there are times it is just too hard to explain that to people and I don't have the energy. It all comes back to me, really. I feel a bit uncomfortable being seen to be or being a bit different or difficult and worry what others will think of me. That's my problem not theirs or the programme, and I am dealing with it in my way in my time.

It is not difficult for me to stay on programme but I have a different situation to some, I am home most of the time and have more control over my meals and the content, especially since I do most of the shopping as well. I do find with this way of eating I no longer have to think of food as much as I did, and it is no longer the enemy.

I kind of veered off here but I meant to say, give yourself a break and do what you need to do when you are ready. :)

I had a friend tell me once that if I treated my friends like I treat myself, I wouldn't have any friends... Thankfully, I've learned a lot since then! I do pretty well, and with a little effort, I could do better, but I will honestly say that I am easing up over the holidays. Not getting crazy out of control, but trying to be "reasonable." Not always easy with us black & white, no gray areas types! LOL But easier than it was before my W30. Thanks for your support, misslindy!!

Thanks Nancy and MissLindy, one day at a time was too hard but I like the advice to do one meal at a time, I can do that! I'm going to make myself a sticker chart and see how many compliant meals I have a week with a goal of 18/21. (I'm a teacher and my inner child just loves stickers!!) I'll have a happy sticker for every compliant meal! See - alternative reward instead of food!

Okay, I think I'm all caught up on the reading...and it looks like I need to say SORRY!  I thought I had posted that I would be out for three weeks, and it turns out I sort of forgot to mention it.  I work all the time, this is well documented, so when I take off I literally unplug for a significant chunk of time.  I think it's the only thing that allows me to keep up the pace the rest of the year. 

Didn't mean to pull a vanishing act! 

I'm especially interested in some of the comments about being concerned about the Thanksgiving holiday coming up...I had actually thought, possibly sort of naievely, that this one would be super easy.  So many of the traditional base ingredients are compliant, turkey, pumpkin, cranberry, green beans, sweet potatoes, surely it wouldn't be impossible to do a Whole30 meal that looked nearly 100% traditional at the same time?  Maybe we should take this on as a group challenge.  Identify a traditional dish, and find the nearest comparable Whole30 recipe.  See if we can build up an entire menu. 

Probably easy for me to say though, my family long since abandoned the home cooked meal for eating out which is something that horrifies me every year.  I've probably lost touch with what a temptation the real deal offers!  Let me tell you, last years rubbery ham with canned fruit cocktail on top of it...the "star" of the diner they chose, does not offer even the slightest temptation.  I would gladly trade that in for a single raw carrot stick, so coming up with a Whole30 meal of any kind would easily please me.  LOL!

I remember doing a sort of sweet potato gratin that was Paleo but not Whole30 back in August and finding it something that could border on too good to have around.  That would make a great side dish guys, indulgent enough to be a holiday treat, but still very clean eating.  I will dig that one up and poke around some more as well.  I know the PaleOMG blog is kicking off two weeks of Thanskgiving recipe-a-day starting today (or it might have been yesterday) and while I know her things won't be all Whole30 either, there will definitely be some good clean choices to add to the conversation. 

I love the idea of talking Whole30 Thanksgiving recipes!  We will be hosting a Friendsgiving on Sunday, November 21, ...our first...and I'm a little stuck on what to make.  I'd like to make veggies with a twist and yet I don't want that twist to be gobs of cheese and breadlike stuff.  Has anyone tried the fancypants stuffing recipe from the Whole30 book?  It looks really tasty and I want to try to make that over the weekend to see if that could be a part of the meal.  I'm looking for a nice root vegetable dish or maybe a twice baked potato....  ????  Any suggestions?  Oh, and a soup to start out the event.  Not too heavy.  Something light and colorful.

I love the idea of talking Whole30 Thanksgiving recipes!  We will be hosting a Friendsgiving on Sunday, November 21, ...our first...and I'm a little stuck on what to make.  I'd like to make veggies with a twist and yet I don't want that twist to be gobs of cheese and breadlike stuff.  Has anyone tried the fancypants stuffing recipe from the Whole30 book?  It looks really tasty and I want to try to make that over the weekend to see if that could be a part of the meal.  I'm looking for a nice root vegetable dish or maybe a twice baked potato....  ????  Any suggestions?  Oh, and a soup to start out the event.  Not too heavy.  Something light and colorful.I 

I made a soup the other day that is so tasty. I am not a great cook so you will have to practice yourself.

Pumpkin, cauliflower, onion, salt, tumeric and any other spices you want I am sure you could use. I used beef broth as the base. Then if anyone wants they can add coconut milk to make it more creamy. But I think it is delicious. (I usually just make things up as I go). I loved it.

Thanks Nancy and MissLindy, one day at a time was too hard but I like the advice to do one meal at a time, I can do that! I'm going to make myself a sticker chart and see how many compliant meals I have a week with a goal of 18/21. (I'm a teacher and my inner child just loves stickers!!) I'll have a happy sticker for every compliant meal! See - alternative reward instead of food!

Good for you! One meal at a time is perfect - and enjoy it when you do have it. Love the idea of stickers--I think you should find some really sparkly ones and different colours make an art masterpiece by the time you are finished, scupt your body and create a lasting picture of the process. How clever are you! I might just adopt your idea if you don't mind? Will think about it anyway.

I made a soup the other day that is so tasty. I am not a great cook so you will have to practice yourself.

Pumpkin, cauliflower, onion, salt, tumeric and any other spices you want I am sure you could use. I used beef broth as the base. Then if anyone wants they can add coconut milk to make it more creamy. But I think it is delicious. (I usually just make things up as I go). I loved it.

Just had another thought, first of all what we call 'pumpkin' is not the same as what you call pumpkin, so I used an 'iron bark pumpkin'  which has a green-grey skin.

And Mel is doing Thanksgiving recipes:     http://meljoulwan.com/2015/11/12/paleo-dinners-cook-week-7/

Am sure you could get ideas there. 

Quick stop to add in the link for the Sweet Potato Gratin recipe I can totally vouch for...I'm sure there are other out there but this is one I've made and really thought anyone would like even non-Whole30ers.

http://meatified.com/sweet-potato-gratin/

OMG!

Made this today and because I always have to alter things and am never entirely sure, have made far too much but it is so so so delicious. I am going to have to see if it will freeze because it will be so easy to eat this all day long. Lovely lovely dish and I can't imagine anyone not liking it--no one would know it is not W30 compliant. Great way to get kids to eat veg if they don't like them.

Thanks for the link.

Quick stop to add in the link for the Sweet Potato Gratin recipe I can totally vouch for...I'm sure there are other out there but this is one I've made and really thought anyone would like even non-Whole30ers.

This looks awesome!  Perfect!  I was finding so many maple glazed/pecany things and it felt too sweet to me.  Coconut butter is my favorite, though!  Thank you!!

Just had another thought, first of all what we call 'pumpkin' is not the same as what you call pumpkin, so I used an 'iron bark pumpkin'  which has a green-grey skin.

And Mel is doing Thanksgiving recipes:     http://meljoulwan.com/2015/11/12/paleo-dinners-cook-week-7/

Am sure you could get ideas there. 

There are some great recipes here!  Cranberry Waldorf Salad?!?!?  Sign me up!  Thank you so much for this and the other soup recipe.  

Totally going to try this out!!

Good for you! One meal at a time is perfect - and enjoy it when you do have it. Love the idea of stickers--I think you should find some really sparkly ones and different colours make an art masterpiece by the time you are finished, scupt your body and create a lasting picture of the process. How clever are you! I might just adopt your idea if you don't mind? Will think about it anyway.

Thanks! Yes please use the idea!

There are some great recipes here!  Cranberry Waldorf Salad?!?!?  Sign me up!  Thank you so much for this and the other soup recipe.  

I was so excited when I wrote about the SweetPotato Gratin recipe I got mixed up, I meant no one would know it IS W30 compliant. No one would ever know it is a legal, good for you food. Even had some for breakfast this morning and it is still good.

Oh hey, the list of things to make is getting longer by the minute, lol.  I love that all the W30 compliant things are things my mother can eat.  I was already planning on doing a breakfast for them and not letting them in on the fact that it's compliant until after they've eaten it, but with so many good side dishes that everyone can have I think the Thanksgiving table just got expanded. :)

I love Waldorf salad.  And sweet potato anything. :D

I think I found my sweet tater dish for Thanksgiving!! This sounds fabulous!

This sounds wonderful as well. I love cranberry!! I had some trouble finding the recipe on the site...mostly because I searched on "crabnerry." No recipes for crabnerry anywhere...  :P  :D

Hi everyone, I hope it's okay if I join this thread? The reintroduction thread I usually post in has been a little quiet lately, and I  enjoy reading the posts in here! I am almost a month out from the end of my second Whole30.  I did a slow-roll introduction and I've mostly kept to the Whole30 way of eating, except some low lactose cheeses (which I want to keep to a minimum). So, so happy I decided to start a second Whole30 on a random Saturday in September.:)

Hi everyone, I hope it's okay if I join this thread? The reintroduction thread I usually post in has been a little quiet lately, and I  enjoy reading the posts in here! I am almost a month out from the end of my second Whole30.  I did a slow-roll introduction and I've mostly kept to the Whole30 way of eating, except some low lactose cheeses (which I want to keep to a minimum). So, so happy I decided to start a second Whole30 on a random Saturday in September. :)

You are very welcome in here, Lainey. Glad you stopped by. :)

Ok, the energy balls I was talking about earlier with peanut butter and oats have just been relegated to the back of beyond because I found a recipe for Almond Joy energy balls that would actually be completely compliant were it not for the teaspoon of vanilla extract and 1/2 teaspoon of almond extract it takes to make.  I'm wrapping up my official 30 on Friday, so am planning on making a batch of these as travel food for our trek during the holidays.

Ok, the energy balls I was talking about earlier with peanut butter and oats have just been relegated to the back of beyond because I found a recipe for Almond Joy energy balls that would actually be completely compliant were it not for the teaspoon of vanilla extract and 1/2 teaspoon of almond extract it takes to make.  I'm wrapping up my official 30 on Friday, so am planning on making a batch of these as travel food for our trek during the holidays.

Yum, is there a link to a recipe somewhere?

Those sound delicious!

Yum, is there a link to a recipe somewhere?

I copied the recipe straight off the page - the lady who posted it said she's taking over Medjool Date food blog or something close to it, I didn't save the link because I had pasted the recipe into my computer.  Here's the recipe, complete with notes from the author. :)

Yield: About 40 energy bites

Almond Joy Energy Bites

These Almond Joy Energy Bites taste like the candy bar we all love, but are made with healthier ingredients and sweetened with dates.

Prep: 15 mins Total: 15 mins

Ingredients:

•12 oz. (about 2 cups, loosely-packed) Medjool dates (**see note below about types of dates and substitutions**)

•2 cups almonds

•1/2 cup shredded coconut

•1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

•1 Tbsp. coconut oil

•1 Tbsp. vanilla extract

•1/2 tsp. almond extract (optional)

Directions:

Add dates and remaining ingredients to a food processor. Pulse a few times to combine, then use a rubber spatula to scrape the sides of the bowl. Blend the mixture for about 3 minutes, or until the mixture has moved past the crumbly stage and begins to clump and stick to the sides of the food processor.

Use a spoon or small cookie scoop to measure out a tablespoon of dough (or your desired size) and roll it into a ball. If desired, roll the ball in a bowl of coconut flakes. Or just set it aside to eat as-is. Repeat with the remaining dough. (Alternately, you can flatten the dough into the bottom of an 8x8-inch parchment-lined baking dish, then cut it into bars.)

Store the energy bites in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.

**I used Medjool dates in this recipe, which are already nice and soft. If you substitute another kind of date, you may need to soak them in warm water for 10 minutes first in order to soften then. (Then drain them before using.)

Archived