The Tiger Tots of the CFC

Crimsann

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a lurker but thank you so much for the sweet potato gratin recipe. We have a tradition of one with  chipotle/adobo paste in it but lots of heavy cream so will add the chili paste to this one instead.

Lurk back around again and let us/me know how that turned out...I can see this being a great recipe to use as a base for more variations but I hadn't thought of taking it in a spicy direction!

I made another batch of the beef stew I posted about not too far back and that is lunch this week so I'm not pure Whole30 this week either but a little bit closer to back to clean food at least, I want to do some more baby steps back onto the path getting ready to gear up for January/February/March.  I think I shared before that my plan for 2016 is to work in 6 months of compliant foods in three month stints, which works out for me to neatly avoid family birthdays and special events while still being compliant half the year.  I'm doing it in strict/loose/strict passes as well to allow for a bit more variety in the middle month...by this I mean the food ingredients will be compliant but I may do things like almond flour/blueberry muffins during the loose month.  I found that helped bring in a little more normalcy for me now that I've done a couple full on Whole30's and don't need the rigidty as much.  I will be bookending that loose month though with pure Whole30 months for the mental and physical benefits of the structure.  I enjoy being able to experiment more than the rules allow with the foods that I want to make the mainstay of my diet as more of a longterm plan.  

I know a few others are planning a January pass, what are your thoughts right now on preparing for that and/or upping the ante a little?  I will share for those who have completed just one Whole30 that the thing that surprised me the most about my second one was how much harder it was not to give into the little cheats like not using a spice blend that had a "relatively insignificant" amount of sugar.  While I would have never done that the first time, I found myself wanting to jusitfy it the second time.  "I've done the real thing once, nothing more to prove to myself, this won't reeeeeally hurt"

I think the biggest key to a successful January for me is going to be laying out my mealplans at least in general terms for the entire month before I even start.  My pre-prep work is going to be collecting recipes NOW that I want to try then so I have clear ideas on what I need to shop for and not let myself believe that because I've done it before I can just wing the shopping/cooking part. 

I also enjoyed adding a secondary element, for me this was doing yoga during my second Whole30...something to up the challenge just a bit, it really helped me focus my intention each day to be working on a brandnew habit when the eating part didn't require 100% of my attention.  I've no idea what that will be for January yet. 

I may not be doing Whole30 for the holidays, but the more I keep planning for one on the front burner, the easier it is to keep the path at least in sight!

Hi

I have been having a bit of a struggle the past couple days, getting a bit discouraged and have lost some of my zing.

I decided to give up coffee for the next 30 days and see what happens. I am sure some of what I was eating on W30 was playing havoc with my system and that is why I didn't have the results I was hoping for. And no matter how many times I tell myself it all helped the ground work, I think I am a bit of a liar or at the very least a spin-doctor. I must say the past few nights I have been absolutely exhausted and have gone to bed early and slept all night so that means something needed sorting, in my tiny mind anyway.

Hope you are all having a good time whereever you are, should be Thanksgiving in the US this week right? Happy Turkey time, hope you enjoy your families and dinners. L

I copied the recipe straight off the page - the lady who posted it said she's taking over Medjool Date food blog or something close to it, I didn't save the link because I had pasted the recipe into my computer.  Here's the recipe, complete with notes from the author. :)

Yield: About 40 energy bites

Almond Joy Energy Bites

These Almond Joy Energy Bites taste like the candy bar we all love, but are made with healthier ingredients and sweetened with dates.

Prep: 15 mins Total: 15 mins

Ingredients:

•12 oz. (about 2 cups, loosely-packed) Medjool dates (**see note below about types of dates and substitutions**)

•2 cups almonds

•1/2 cup shredded coconut

•1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

•1 Tbsp. coconut oil

•1 Tbsp. vanilla extract

•1/2 tsp. almond extract (optional)

Directions:

Add dates and remaining ingredients to a food processor. Pulse a few times to combine, then use a rubber spatula to scrape the sides of the bowl. Blend the mixture for about 3 minutes, or until the mixture has moved past the crumbly stage and begins to clump and stick to the sides of the food processor.

Use a spoon or small cookie scoop to measure out a tablespoon of dough (or your desired size) and roll it into a ball. If desired, roll the ball in a bowl of coconut flakes. Or just set it aside to eat as-is. Repeat with the remaining dough. (Alternately, you can flatten the dough into the bottom of an 8x8-inch parchment-lined baking dish, then cut it into bars.)

Store the energy bites in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.

**I used Medjool dates in this recipe, which are already nice and soft. If you substitute another kind of date, you may need to soak them in warm water for 10 minutes first in order to soften then. (Then drain them before using.)

Thanks for this, C_Cezeaux!  I've been contemplating buying a food processor. In fact, I did buy one during my September W30, but it was beyond cheap so I sent it back. I can see this being a good reason to invest in one!

Hi

I have been having a bit of a struggle the past couple days, getting a bit discouraged and have lost some of my zing.

I decided to give up coffee for the next 30 days and see what happens. I am sure some of what I was eating on W30 was playing havoc with my system and that is why I didn't have the results I was hoping for. And no matter how many times I tell myself it all helped the ground work, I think I am a bit of a liar or at the very least a spin-doctor. I must say the past few nights I have been absolutely exhausted and have gone to bed early and slept all night so that means something needed sorting, in my tiny mind anyway.

Hope you are all having a good time whereever you are, should be Thanksgiving in the US this week right? Happy Turkey time, hope you enjoy your families and dinners. L

Next week, misslindy. I'm spending the day at my mom & dad's because the rest of the siblings will be with their in-law families. Then Friday (Fri-giving!), we are all together. My sister and her family will be in from GA, and my Air Force daughter will be here from Ohio, plus everyone from this area, so full house!

Sorry you are feeling a bit wonky these days. I hope you do sort that out right quick--will send you good vibes!

Just a lurker but thank you so much for the sweet potato gratin recipe. We have a tradition of one with  chipotle/adobo paste in it but lots of heavy cream so will add the chili paste to this one instead.

Hi JenHZ--lurk anytime! I love sweet and spicy together, so this sounds like a great idea! 

I know a few others are planning a January pass, what are your thoughts right now on preparing for that and/or upping the ante a little?  I will share for those who have completed just one Whole30 that the thing that surprised me the most about my second one was how much harder it was not to give into the little cheats like not using a spice blend that had a "relatively insignificant" amount of sugar.  While I would have never done that the first time, I found myself wanting to jusitfy it the second time.  "I've done the real thing once, nothing more to prove to myself, this won't reeeeeally hurt"

I can very much see this being the case. I'm doing at least a 30, maybe longer, in the hopes of leaving the sugar dragon farther behind this time around. It doesn't help that work has been a hotbed of sweets lately. Grrr!

Hi - I finished my first W30 on 11/10.  At times it was a challenge and I'm sure it wasn't perfect.  I'm just now realizing from reading other people's posts that balsamic vinegar is not compliant because of the sulfites - I had no idea!  

For those looking for good Thanksgiving recipes, when you sign up on the paleo mom website she sends you a Thanksgiving recipe e-book.  There is a recipe there for Mofongo Dressing that sounds great.  The green plantains have a very neutral taste that basically just takes on the flavor of whatever is cooked with them.  

Hi

I think we all do that from time to time, I know that I tend to spin things for myself.  I have been accused of being a Pollyanna on more than one occasion.  It does sound like something is sorting itself out in your system though.  Are you still getting enough iron in your new routine?  That's one I have to be careful of.  I'm sorry you're feeling exhausted, but at least you are sleeping. :)

We are doing the huge Thanksgiving this year - next week the entire family will be descending on my folks place.  I mean the ENTIRE family.  Should be interesting to say the least.  Had to plan some definite stress busters and have my travel food at the ready before we head out.  But we should be ok on the food for turkey day, been planning in advance for this one.  Just didn't realize it would be such a big get-together this year, lol.

Hey, Columbus Crew refugees, here I am...confession time. Tonight w tough...well, so was today. It was my mother's birthday...she died in March...and also the day my dad died 16 years ago...so I have been deeply sad for several days. Tonight I came home and did not win the war against deciding to numb myself against my pain. I had two glasses of red wine and then saw how it always used to go with my hubs at night, he always has 2-3 glasses of white wine and then can get sorta wonky unless I have my wits about me to counteract his numbness...

I didn't give much of a damn tonight, but will tomorrow....and the next day. That half bottle of red will have to wait until all the days next week during Thanksgiving. It will be just my hubs, adult son, and me for turkey day dinner. Son is trying to essentially quit drinking too, so I may or may to make it through the rest of that bottle next week...but not before then, for sure.

So, now I feel lousy, numb, mad at myself, and STILL SAD.

It just does NOT WORK.

At leastI had a nice piece of salmon for dinner and had a basically compliant day...well, except for the wine and some dark chocolate midday.

I,m losing it, crew mates...and I miss my mother so much.

Hey, Columbus Crew refugees, here I am...confession time. Tonight w tough...well, so was today. It was my mother's birthday...she died in March...and also the day my dad died 16 years ago...so I have been deeply sad for several days. Tonight I came home and did not win the war against deciding to numb myself against my pain. I had two glasses of red wine and then saw how it always used to go with my hubs at night, he always has 2-3 glasses of white wine and then can get sorta wonky unless I have my wits about me to counteract his numbness...

I didn't give much of a damn tonight, but will tomorrow....and the next day. That half bottle of red will have to wait until all the days next week during Thanksgiving. It will be just my hubs, adult son, and me for turkey day dinner. Son is trying to essentially quit drinking too, so I may or may to make it through the rest of that bottle next week...but not before then, for sure.

It just does NOT WORK.

At leastI had a nice piece of salmon for dinner and had a basically compliant day...well, except for the wine and some dark chocolate midday.

Sending a huge hug and understanding. I know exactly what you are going through and it just comes over in waves when least expected, but also when expected. I think the only thing is we can be grateful for having our loved ones for as long as we did. Maybe talking about it her and things she loved or didn't love, will help. A dear friend said to me once, 'no one dies before their time' and I have come to believe that. Besides they are only gone from this plane, they are still with us in spirit, your mum still watches over you.

Sadness is something that will pass and will get less with some time, but for now perhaps just be sad and in that, look after yourself. xxxL

It just does NOT WORK.

Aw, Merg, I feel for you.  Give yourself a break on that "slip" though.  We're all human here and stuff happens.  In your case life happened to you and you're still trying to learn to live with it.  Anniversaries of passing are HARD and holidays are HARD.  Deep sadness and in my case I still have a very, very deep anger at times that I try to let go, but so far not completely successfully.  Just when you think the grief is gone or has mellowed into something you can live with peacefully, something brings it back to slap you down again, just as hard as it was in the beginning.   I have thanked God many times that I was never much of a drinker because I would have most likely tried to throw myself IN the bottle as an escape.  The only reason I don't go running for the foods I used to use for "comfort" whenever I was stressed, angry, or scared is because the grief puts such a large knot in my throat that it is hard to breathe, let alone swallow anything.  It will pass, the sun WILL shine again, and in my case I can reach out to my daughter and share grief and memories with her. Life goes on.  With or without us.

So don't be mad at yourself for having those drinks.  Own that grief and sadness.  Experience it fully.  It is a part of you.  But it does not OWN you.  Think of the things you shared with your folks, the happy moments, the silly things they did that make you laugh, the crazy things that they used to frustrate you with.  They still love you and will welcome you home when it's your time.  In the meantime - you are not alone, we're all here to help with the struggle and will cheer you on when you get back up from this. :)

Merg (and anyone else working through or experiencing loss issues), here's a page I came across and quite frankly wallowed in during the worst of the grief and still follow.  There are many things here that have helped me work my way through and many understanding people on their own journeys of grieving.

https://www.facebook.com/grieftheunspoken/

It just does NOT WORK.

Merg - my heart goes out to you.   Don't be mad at yourself though.  In the grand scheme of life 2 glasses of wine is not that bad and you should feel good about the fact that you did not find the bottom of the bottle (I did find the bottom several times)- so I think you won that war.  Grief is a deep emotion that I think most people are very uncomfortable talking about.  Give yourself permission to go through this and not feel like you have to go around it.  I think it was very courageous for you to open up to us here and I hope you are able to find some comfort in knowing that we are here to support you.  It's hard to come up with words to help in this situation but just know that you are not alone.

bpaitsel, Cynthia, Lindy....many thanks to you. ❤️❤️❤️ If nothing else, this little rut I am in shows me very clearly how uncomfortable feelings lead to unhealthy eating which leads to worse feelings....actually, I completed my first w30 when my mom was dying, and it helped me get through that horrible time with a clearer head. Time to get back there.

As my son said after she died, she was the most positive person he had ever known, no matter the circumstance...so I will bounce back. It is what she taught me...just feeling like a slug going through a slog right now still.

You are the best. Thanks so much.

Hi - I finished my first W30 on 11/10.  At times it was a challenge and I'm sure it wasn't perfect.  I'm just now realizing from reading other people's posts that balsamic vinegar is not compliant because of the sulfites - I had no idea!  

For those looking for good Thanksgiving recipes, when you sign up on the paleo mom website she sends you a Thanksgiving recipe e-book.  There is a recipe there for Mofongo Dressing that sounds great.  The green plantains have a very neutral taste that basically just takes on the flavor of whatever is cooked with them.  

Hello bpaitsel,  thanks for the heads up from the paleo mom website.  I am loving plantains these days and we ate mofongo in Puerto Rico years ago and I love that too!  I'm going to sign up today.

Gobble gobble.

If someone wants a good laugh, check out the forum "another W30 timeline" by Tina R.  It is hilarious and also so true.  I have re-introduced yogurt, again, today.  Last time I wasn't sure if my knee pain was from the yogurt or what I did at the gym that morning so I haven't worked out for a couple of days just to get clearer information.  We'll see.

Merg - you are obviously a strong person  and you will be ok.  And the next time the sadness hits you, you will go through it but you will be ok again.

Tomorrow is my wrap-up day. :)  Now, I will see how all my planning works out, lol.  I'm already changing it a bit, was going to try out some sweeteners first to see what I can handle, but in light of the giant pot of soup I made today, I believe I will be trying gluten free grains next week.  There is only one ingredient in it that would not be compliant and that happens to be barley.  I ended up making nearly two gallons of soup because the stuff just kept growing, lol.  Don't think my husband is going to eat all that by himself.  Even with two of us, I foresee stocking some in the freezer.

Good Friday Morning Everyone,

I read through here so often and struggle with collecting my thoughts to write to all of you.

Merg-  Your post broke my heart.  I know the loss of parents (I lost my dad at 16 and my mom at 40...5 years ago.)  Trying to find peace and acceptance after the death of someone you hold so close is terribly hard.  Positivity and hope got me through and knowing that my parents live within me.  I carry them in my heart and bones and DNA.  I'm glad you shared your hardest moments and despair with our group so that we may support you and give you strength.  I hope you have a strong support network around you.  peace & love to you...

MissLindy and NancyW-  You both continue to inspire me to nurture those around me.  You are both so supportive and kind.  Your posts cheer me and keep me on the path of accepting and working to strengthen those around me.  Thank you for all your goodness.

And now onto the food....  Thanksgiving is right around the corner.  We're having a party for almost 20 on Sunday.  I'm nervous about all that is involved.  It's going to be quite a feast and what John and I are making will be healthy and almost all Whole30.  Friends will be bringing some dishes that will be processed and cheesy or sugary or full of grains and that is okay.  I want everyone to enjoy and eat as they feel comfortable.  We'll have wine and beer too.  I plan to abstain from the alcohol but I do love apple pie...if it's homemade.

On Thursday we'll be with my in-laws in Pennsylvania.  It's a long drive to get there and the food there will be kind of plain but I'll be able to get my veggies in without a lot of added process, so that's good.  I don't think I can bring myself to eat a store-bought turkey.  My 6 year vegetarian stint is still in my head and although I eat meat now, I really have to know where and how it was raised.  So, I will probably be a vegetarian that day/weekend.  We'll see how that goes.  I'm thinking about packing some tuna and bringing a dozen local eggs.  I'm weighing my options.

Well, I wish you all a happy weekend.  C-Cezeaux, enjoy that soup! Bpaitsel, I'm going to check out that timeline next.

peace.

Project for this weekend?  Attempt to take this: http://www.abeautifulmess.com/2015/11/cranberry-vanilla-bean-pie-bars.html and make it Hole30 (not a misspelling there, I know full well no pie bar on earth would be Whole30 approved, but I think I might be able to make this out of nearly all compliant ingredients at least.)

There is going to be some massive subbing of coconut sugar and almond flour and in the end I will probably not be able to bring myself to use clarified butter so I will either make a quick attempt at using coconut butter or use the real thing.  My end goal is really just to keep it gluten-free since I'm taking them in to work and my good friend there is always getting left out of the dessert table.  ;) 

It's going to be a busy week, my co-worker is taking off and we have a lot of irons in the fire right now so I may not get a better chance to wish you all a happy and healthy holiday! 

Consider yourselves wished.   

MissLindy and NancyW-  You both continue to inspire me to nurture those around me.  You are both so supportive and kind.  Your posts cheer me and keep me on the path of accepting and working to strengthen those around me.  Thank you for all your goodness.

Awww, thank you! I love all the sharing on this forum. It sure makes things easier! 

Hi all! We are expecting 6-10" of snow this afternoon and tomorrow. I shifted my weekend plans to Sunday, so I can just stay home and work on decorating the house while the weather happens. But with minutes to go before it starts snowing, I can feel a really bad idea blossoming in my brain: Go out and get sweet treats to have while hibernating. Luckily, I don't keep that stuff in the house, and I'm already in hibernation mode, so no sweet treats for me. But boy is my sugar dragon howling right now!!! 

Edited to add: note to self, protein and fat to kill the cravings!! Supper will do the trick. 

Gosh, Nancy, I don't even want to think about snow. Some winters we don't get any. My yard man planted pansys yesterday. They bloom all winter here and many put them out and we have some cheery things to look at in the winter.

I've been AWOL and it hasn't been good. I'm finally getting back on track but what I've found it I can tolerate absolutely no sugar or sweetener. I immediately get stomach issues and bathroom issues. And that was just from putting it in my coffee! I tried it a couple of times with days in between and it happened each time. I'm thinking it's probably a good thing and also probably why dried fruit gives me issues.

I've been having knee pain again but attributed it to moving incorrectly in my yoga classes. Seeing the above post about dairy, I'm going to cut it out again and see if the pain goes away. I thought I had no reaction to dairy so I've been having yogurt and cream in my coffee and butter and cottage cheese. Darn, that was all that I missed.

Since I live alone, there is no reason for me to have any of these foods in my house. My friends already think I eat crazy so they don't even offer me some things anymore.

I made a big pot of turkey and vegetable soup this morning so that will be lunch and then some into the freezer.

We were lucky, came in on the lower amount of what they were calling for here, looks like about 4-5 inches of powdery snow out there this morning.  Got the great news yesterday that we are returning home to Texas next week so am again retuning my plan and freezing up most of the soup and other food I had prepped.  Some we will use up when we are at the folks for Thanksgiving, was already planning on doing them an entire meal of W30, so that will work well.  Now to get the apartment packed up and my travel food ready. :)

My husband has now experienced the pains of eating something that's not good for him.  I've been feeding him mostly compliant meals and making his lunch very healthy, keeping him off the processed foods, etc. because of his last lab results.  He got into the baked goods I made yesterday and is not feeling too well this morning - very fatigued, draggy, and in need of "real food."  This is good, actually.  With him feeling it and wondering about it himself, he is becoming more and more inclined to eat like I do and has started researching the nutrition himself. :)

Merg - just checking to see how you are doing?

Cynthia - you talking about soup inspired me to make chicken soup today.  Cool here in Virginia but no snow yet.  Hopefully soon!  Glad your husband is getting on board.  Nothing like feeling the effects first hand to make a believer out of him!

I did my second trial of dairy (with yogurt) 2 days ago and it went the same as the first trial - BAD.  At first i thought it was going to be ok but by the next day my knees were aching so bad they felt like they had ground up glass in them.  Not feeling very spunky today but hoping that the sunshine and chicken soup will help.  This shall pass - knowledge is power.

Sunday here and we have had the biggest, noisiest thunderstorm through the night. I thought we would wake to the palm tree on the ground but only a few of the older palm fronds are lying around. The birds are amazing how they live through that, and most of them live in the palm tree!

jodmaxfeldt I am touched by your lovely words, thank you.

Crimmsan: sounds like you will have a busy week but it also sounds like fun so hope you enjoy it every second!

bpaitsel: will check out that timeline

merg: I hope you are feeling better and being gentle with yourself.

Cynthia: thanks for the link I will check that out later today.

GOOD NEWS! I thought I had a mammoth cooking day today and have just realized that I don't have the ingredients for one item, my husband has enough muffins so I don't have to make more today, I am not baking a cake because some of the ingredients are not available, so just make cookies (already done) cook Himself chicken drumsticks for the week, (ready to go in) and the roast for dinner (which will be cooked earlier than needed but who cares?) and put on my bones for bone broth. Then that's done! FREE I AM FREE!!!!! (Do you get I hate being tied up in the kitchen???) Oops bell calling me,

Archived