The Tiger Tots of the CFC

Crimsann

Cynthia - thanks for the advice for the bulb.  Glad  your reintro's are going pretty well.  I have done pretty well except for the dairy - and that seems to be everywhere!!!  Getting a little better at asking questions when eating out.  Diet quality has definitely nose dived but I'm just going to wing it until 1/1.

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll be right behind you, I think we get back on the 4th, but fairly certain my husband has plans for the 7th, so I will most likely jump in on the 8th. :-)

If the dairy issue is extreme, also look out for "casein" as an additive in foods. It's crazy what dairy, wheat, and soy are added to. Some French fries are even dipped in milk.

I, too, am winging it till 1/1. I'm prepping though. I bought a food processor when I started my W30 in September, but it was a cheap piece of crap. Should have known that the price was too good to be true. So I did some research and ordered a Cuisinart this time. Pricey, but I can imagine so many ways to use it to make my W30 easier. Sugar and grains have been a MAJOR problem lately. This is not a surprise. I need to find a way to live with my "no gray areas" attitude on this. Either I don't eat them at all, or they're all I'm eating. I have never been able to have just a bit. So every time I have a taste, I end up in a corner surrounded by empty candy wrappers and potato chip bags.  :blink:

bpaitsel, I have been using a light to treat my depression. I have the Philips goLITE BLU Light Therapy Device and I love it. I keep it at work since that's where I spend most of my time.

I'm spending the night at my daughter and son-in-law's tonight to dog sit. I'm taking my Whole30 book with me to reread. Can't hurt! 

We're definitely surrounded by dairy, wheat and soy - had no idea about the french fries - that's just crazy.  I usually don't have them anyway since they are usually cooked in same fryer as gluten-containing items and since I am gluten intolerant that is out.

NancyW - I'm with you on the gray areas.  When I first realized about 2 years ago that I was gluten intolerant - may be celiac but don't know for sure because didn't do testing - It took me about a year to finally black-list gluten for good.  I kept using it as a "gray area" until it finally sunk in that the symptoms were real and the damage that was being done to my body could be very serious.  I too have a major problem with sugar - during first W30  Oct-Nov didn't have much problem cutting it out since not having any but since then have let it come back and as you said... all or nothing. Unfortunately, lately it's been ALL!  Thanks for the advice on the light.

After my W30, I had visions of being able to eat the occasional treat. It started innocently enough with a cupcake at a work celebration. Now I'm drowning in sugar and junk food. My next thought was that I needed to do 45 instead of 30 and then it would be ok. I'm finally coming around to the fact that it will never be ok, and how do I make that work??? Scary food for thought (no pun intended)...

Hi all, I've been MIA too, and also been doing terribly with reintroduction. I could have written any of the recent posts! I've slipped back into bad habits and come to the same conclusion, it's all or nothing for me and that's scary. Also I've been temperature charting for fertility reasons and my chart this last month has been crazy! I was due to ovulate a couple of days ago, thought I'd ovulated a few days early last Thursday but then temp dropped again and it's been up and down since. It's interesting to see how diet has had an effect- I am very regular but if I haven't been ovulating every month it could explain the issues conceiving!

Anyway- the long and short of it is that I am definitely up for a January W30!!!!

Well, kicked my reintro in the butt today and opened the sugar dragon door again.  It was something we were planning on doing on our vacation, but decided to do today rather than try to pack it with us when we go.  Since we were out of state on our anniversary, our carefully saved (wrapped and frozen) cake top did not get eaten on our first anniversary, but was still waiting for us in the freezer.  While I was rearranging the chest freezer, I discovered that we also had a brisket that we had put away after the last cook off.  So we made a celebration of it and had lunch with style. 

It was worth it because of what the cake meant to us, but I spent the rest of the day bloated, cranky, tired, and SNEEZING.  Blast.

I was fine with the honey in the tea, no other cravings stirred, but the cake was a whole different ballgame.  Tonight I'm digging in with both heels holding the reins on those cravings.  I'm going to exert considerable willpower and my very best to eat absolutely compliant for the next week and see if I can get it knocked back down before I step aboard the ship.  I should be able to find plenty of fresh, healthy food on board and stay mostly behaved until I can get back home and on program in January.

I've fallen off the wagon and its gotten so far ahead I'm having a hard time gettin back on. I never thought I'd let this happen but it was like with the first bite of forbidden food it was all over and I couldn't get enough. I am ashamed of myself. I need to get back on track right now. The junk is out of my house now and since I live alone there is no reason to have non-compliant foods in the house. I have my menu ready for tomorrow. For some reason, if I write it down before I eat it, I stick with it better than when I plan as I go.

I've fallen off the wagon and its gotten so far ahead I'm having a hard time gettin back on. I never thought I'd let this happen but it was like with the first bite of forbidden food it was all over and I couldn't get enough. I am ashamed of myself. I need to get back on track right now. The junk is out of my house now and since I live alone there is no reason to have non-compliant foods in the house. I have my menu ready for tomorrow. For some reason, if I write it down before I eat it, I stick with it better than when I plan as I go.

Susan - I know exactly how you feel.  I have mainly fallen prey to the sugar dragon.  It's almost like I'm trying to push the envelope as far as I can - which turns out isn't very far.  I've eaten way too much sugar in the last couple weeks, always feel shaky and crappy afterward, but keep doing it again.  I think that's the definition of insanity!  Don't be ashamed and don't beat yourself up.  Part of this journey is finding out what we tolerate and doing that takes some experimentation - I just ate a cookie in the name of science!?!  When I first went gluten free about 2 years ago, it took me almost a year of experimenting to admit to myself that I do not tolerate gluten and to get to the point where I am not even tempted now because I know what price I will pay for it.  Granted, the price for excessive sugar intake is different, it still feels pretty crappy.  You have already made some good plans for getting back into balance, you know how to do it and you can do it.  There are so many social pressures to eat poorly -  especially at this time of year - crazy.  I'm going to clean up diet for the next few days - try to get a head start on getting unbloated  and unpuffed - and start fresh 1/1.  

I'm running right alongside you, trying to catch up. I felt like I handled that first bite just fine, and then a couple of weeks later, it was as if I had never made any changes in the first place! Not sure how I will handle that in the future, but I sure better figure something out! 

Somehow I stopped getting notifications from this group, so I'm playing catch up on reading today but just wanted to make a quick post to say I'm still in for January.  I will not be starting on January 1...I'm actually going to start on the 4th because I'm planning to go through March anyway and I want the weekend to get cleaned up in the kitchen and prepped.  Not to say I won't be the next best thing to Whole30 those days, but I'm not going to try to be fully ready without that weekend to slow down and get everything in order.  As previously discussed, I'm working out the whole months menu for January at least and I'm pleased to report that I'm 3/4 of the way through that...mostly it's just shuffling things around for better balance and trying to decide which week I want to use first.  I do a lot of making a weeks worth of stuff on the weekend and eating the same thing (espeically for the meals I have to pack) all week long so making the menu for a week at a time means I can switch the order of the weeks pretty easily if something isn't as appealing as I thought it would be when that week rolls around. 

I'm also planning to send an email to a couple of RL friends to see if anyone wants to join, tis the season and all and I would sponsor them with the daily emails if they decide to.  I'm actually not expecting any of them will, based on their lukewarm interest thus far, but this seems like the best time to invite people to try it.  A lot of us have a sudden surge of seasonal sincerity when it comes to dieting.  ;)

It's been rough living on gingerbread and candy canes, so I don't want to hide the fact that I've also struggled with eating decisions this month and have paid some of the price in losing my glowy skin and not adoring my skinny pants as much as I did two months ago...but I'm not going to list regrets myself.  I've never done well by beating myself up even a little so my focus is going to be 100% on being happy and excited to be back on plan and facing firmly forward.  I know the weigh-in the night before is going to be a sad moment, I considered not doing it, but I also know I need at least that before and after and I will regret not doing it later.  Plastering on the cheery face now before I have to face that music. 

I'm not sure where I'm going to post this time, joining a January group seems like a great way to be motivated and also completely overwhelmed with a zillion new faces and stories.  I'm leaning towards posting here as it sounds like we will have at least a core group doing January and just peeking in on whichever January thread goes strong and seeing where I can offer help or advice.  I really enjoyed being a "big sister" in September, but I can't say it wasn't a weird experience to try and bond with new people...I got there, but I kept missing my July group and there is nothing like the people you share the first round with.  It's a feeling that's really hard to capture the second time not to mention it's harder to think what to post when you aren't in as many new to you sitations.  I'm putting that out there because I do want to encourage you to be a mentor this time if you haven't had that chance, it had a lot of benefits for me...but I also want to share the honest truth that it was a bit harder to connect the second time around.  That way if you run into the same feelings you won't think it's just you. 

So much for my short post...off to read more and figure out why my notifications aren't working!

I started my prep already--I bought a food processor and started processing some stuff. Last one I bought was a REALLY cheap one, and it stunk so I returned it. This time, I got a good one. That sucker shredded two halves of a red cabbage in less than two halves of a second! I still have to choose a couple of recipes to get started on. I got "Well Fed" for Christmas, and ordered "Well Fed 2" as well. I found some compliant mustard (not as readily available as I would have thought!) so I bought 3 bottles of it. Can't be without that for my oil & vinegar salad dressing and homemade mayo. I'm looking forward to getting started again! 

Lots of time today to plan--we're in the middle of a major winter storm. Nice to have this week off, and to stay home on a day like this!

Hi

Just popped in for a quick sqizz.

I have been looking at some of the new groups and I am really interested in the Whole 9 group starting on the 1st. If we carry on with this group but a new thread I can do both--but I have serious issues with stress and sleep so want to tackle that and the Whole 9 seems sensible to me. I am going to be on this way of eating for at least 3 months before I consider re-entry. At least this time off has taught me that much--and I need to do the AI so am committing for minimum three months--one day at a time.

So whatever is decided I will follow along even if I do more than one group --well that sounds a bit rude!

Best wishes to you all for a safe New Year holiday and capturing your dreams for the coming year.

xxxL

Tiger Tots Two  or Tiger Tots Too?

Haha! I guess either one works!

Miss Lindy, so glad you are taking care of yourself. I like the idea of that whole 9 challenge also...and can do 2 groups as well...wondering about the rest of our team?

Merg

I'd love to stay with this group too! I may tag along with another group or two as well, just because I need the support, and will check out the Whole 9 group. 

Had something that was/or nearly was compliant yesterday from the Whole Foods salad bar and I'm totally going to try and recreate it. From what I've noted, it was basically some green/firm pears cut into matchstick slices and tossed with a bit of finely diced celery, some minced green onion, some red pepper flakes, and a rice vinegar. That last one is the "must change" but I suspect it was added as much for keeping the pears from turning brown as it was an actual dressing. The slaw wasn't at all soupy so it was a fine coating and I think some compliant vinegar or citrus juice would work just as well to add the tart and the perservative quality. The fun was from the crunchy slightly sweet pear and the heat from the red pepper. I might even dial that last bit down a tad. Wheeeew! But it was a great winter salad that would work really well to cleanse the palate after a heavy meat meal...and it was a great example of using a fruit as not a sweet dessert. It tasted surprisingly more like a cabbage slaw than you would think with the main ingredient being pear.

I also spotted the Nom Nom Paleo app being featured on the app store...it includes their 30-day meal plan and a lot of recipes.  I haven't played around with it much yet but thought I would point that out!

I love nom nom paleo app....and have more work to do to meet my whole 30 goal to January....more fish and vegetables and a bit more planning...so I will likely start on Jan 4th to have the weekend to prep it up.

Hope to see you all in the other sides. Whatever forum works for everyone. I will be looking for you all!!

Archived