The Tiger Tots of the CFC

Crimsann

Just a quick check in to congratulate you all, it's been a hectic couple of days but more about that at another time, regardless I've been checking in furtively all day long and cheering as each name I've come to recognize has shared their wrap up.  So many wow moments for you! 

I wanted to be on all day just to shout "YAY!" and throw some confetti after each post, you will just have to know that was going on in spirit. 

I released myself back to doing yoga tonight, grinning at the irony of hitting the mat on my first day of "freedom" and I truly did it because I wanted to and because I had the energy even at the end of a long day to do so. 

My plan for wrap up is similar to what I did at the end of my "Hole 60", I wish I had mentioned this earlier as some of the scale scaredy-cats (a term I coin with all affection because I so relate) might have found it useful as well.  Because one of the things we learn from this program is how unreliable, unhelpful, and often just wrong those scales are...when I went to do my first weigh in I opted to take a sampling.  Starting Friday evening, I will weigh twice a day for the entire weekend aiming for different times of day as much as possible and then post the average.  It's as true as any one number, and seeing the fluctuations not only reinforces the message that the scale is a big fat liar half the time...it also gives a slightly truer picture.  I was still somewhat shocked at the time to find that my sampling spanned nearly 5 pounds from highest to lowest which was more than I even expected and did a lot to help me walk away from weighing in and letting that matter.

I should also be clear that I am not eating strictly Whole30 as of today, the only portion I am extending through the weekend is the makeup yoga and the weigh-in.  This is not to say I'm chucking the program in, all but one of my meals today were entirely compliant, but I did start the morning with angel food cake.  LOL! 

Okay, okay, before you freak out let me explain a bit...I'm co-sponsoring a really big bake sale deal later this month and I was running out of time to test recipes.  I don't talk about it much here because it's not a topic we want to spend time on, but I'm a serious baker...in my former life and probably to continue as I learn to adapt more and I've a reputation for it so it's always going to be part of my life.  I actually made this, pumpkin as the case may be, angel food cake last weekend and force fed everyone I knew while trying to scrutinize their every facial expression to determine if it needed more cinnamon or less pumpkin or a dash of....oh it was just so not working.  It's like everyone developed a pastry poker face.  I was already sweating the addition of heavy pumpkin to a batter that needs to be lighter than gravity, so I saved back a piece until my 30-day sentence was up. 

I didn't crave the cake, but I was eaten alive with curiosity to try it and I needed to know before this weekend when I'm settling in to churn out a few more of them if I needed to go back to the drawing board on the recipe.  The happy news is...no, it should do just fine as is.  Whew!

Meal planning is on the agenda for tomorrow, I may try to work in a reintroduction of something next week, but odds are I won't do much off plan.  There aren't too many more I need to do really and I want to keep early October as clean as possible since the final two weeks will be my vacation time and I probably will indulge myself some then. 

I'm loving seeing some of the group already planning for January....that is still totally my mind.  I've tentatively planned out all of 2016 in a way that has me on plan or modified plan 6 months out of the year (and neatly avoiding all birthdays/favorite holidays/pumpkin festivals/and vacation).  I am considering a three-month cycle of strict/modified/strict in which the middle month stays compliant regarding ingredients but with a few non-compliant intentions to allow for more flexibility and experimentation.  If all goes well, that would be January/February/March and June/July/August...I like that those are polar opposite seasons as well which will lead to more variety in food choices. 

Love that pumpkin festivals are on par with holidays and other special occasions. I can relate!

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

today I plan to make and eat banana pecan Ice cream from the well fed book. It is not whole30 but it is still paleo clean eating. 

It is a rainy day here. we are all  hoping that mean hurricane goes out to sea.

That sounds wonderful for a non compliant diversion on occasion. I always have sliced frozen bananas in my freezer when the get too ripe.

Well, I tried oatmeal yesterday with breakfast (added egg and zucchini on the side to round out the meal), and it was fine. Had reintroduced this after my June Whole30, but just wanted to check it again to make sure results were consistent. 

I found so many items at the store that I wanted to try today, such as goat cheese, coconut yogurt, chia yogurt (with no added sweetener of any kind!), a new kind of paleo wrap, etc.... it was hard not to buy everything!, but I am just gonna go slow and steady, will add ONE item at a time, even if it's made with compliant ingredients (the chia yogurt won out this time). Since my digestion has been historically fussy, this will be easier on me and help the reactions (if any) "stand out".

I am seriously considering giving up sugar forever, or at least another 30 days (boy, a lot of feelings come up when I say that). I can feel it taunting me, even though I don't actually "crave" it. Surprisingly, I have not been reaching for the beloved NUTS... go figure!

Hope everyone is feeling brave and strong, empowered to keep walking on this path (whatever that means for you). Glad we're all here.

Oatmeal is one of the few foods I'm really looking forward to reintroducing.  I agree, slow and careful reintroductions.  I'm guessing we'll all find some foods that were causing us problems in the past that we were unaware of. Now we just decide: are they worth it?

It's so inspiring to hear of everyone's successes!  I didn't start to feel any major changes (other than a tremendously "clean" feeling) until I forced myself to go to bed earlier.  That helped. I'm down 5 pounds and very happy about my general feeling of well being.  I did a legume reintro yesterday with some mild reaction.  I did notice that I didn't feel as well when I woke up this morning. I'm not a big fan of most legumes so it won't be a big deal to minimize/eliminate them for good.  I'm following the reintro plan in the It Starts with Food.  If I have a big reaction to any of the groups, I'll try each food again separately to isolate the problem.  Then decide what I want to do with that information.  I picked up a few items in the grocery store today and did a "yuck" reaction when I read the labels.  Right back on the shelf - no way I want to eat that stuff!

Keep  up the good work everybody.  It's paying off in lots of ways for each of us.

I'm out of town again, this time with my daughters. One lives 40 minutes from me, the other is two states away. I had some added dairy yesterday, and woke up with an "ooky" gut. Not horrible, but I didn't miss cheese enough to feel that way on a regular basis. Aside from that, it was a compliant day. We had Chipotle for lunch, and I loved the carnitas salad! We made dinner ourselves - greens and veggies with chicken, and oil/vinegar dressing. We were offered samples of ice cream and candy in a shop at the mall and I had no trouble saying no. I can't handle sugar, so it's not welcome back. I like not being food-crazy! It's so interesting and helpful to hear how everyone else is doing. That sense of not going through this alone is invaluable!

Good Saturday morning! Dreary and chilly here and the wind is whipping up 10-foot waves on our normally calmer Lake Michigan lakefront. I don't live near the lake, but close enough that it's a fifteen minute drive to see some of the most spectacular views! But not today. It's a day to hunker down, make some hearty vegetable soup, do other food prep, and cuddle up with a good book!

I did lose 10 pounds. I forgot to take my measurements, but did so on day 31. I still feel my real victory will be shown on blood tests. I see a change in my blood pressure (it's going down!) and better sleep!

Dairy reintro is good. No problems so far. Today is my 2nd compliant day. I'm happy! And hope you are too. We've come a long way, eh?

Treating myself to some compliant bacon this morning! Hope you all have a great day!

It looks like we are all doing well whether continuing on with our Whole 30 or reintroducing food. You are all such an inspiration.

Quilter, Hope you are weathering that storm well! My daughter is in VA not far from Yorktown. She says lots of rain. I've got other family in So. Carolina and they are deluged! Be safe. No driving through big road puddles!

rainy here in ny and the trees are coming down all over the place de to the wet ground and wind. I do not wish to see what higher winds will do. 

I have bronchits and have to take all kinds of drugs which are wreaking havoc on my digestive tract. I don't want to eat yogurt-dairy is not my friend.

Has any one tried the coconut yogurt? Does it have the same healthy gut bacteria? the kind at traders joes has sugar but I am thinking I made need it. 

Any way that is my story for today. I think I will make some soup. I have a butternut squash I could cook up in the crock pot. 

...I can't handle sugar, so it's not welcome back. I like not being food-crazy! It's so interesting and helpful to hear how everyone else is doing. That sense of not going through this alone is invaluable!...

NancyW will you be my "no-sugar buddy" for the next 30 days? ...I need some accountability. I am not worried about the added sugars in bacon, sausage or dressings, just the snacky dessert-like stuff. My go-to's would be fine quality dark chocolate, a fancy dessert at a restaurant, homemade ice cream from the local creamery, or a bakery indulgence. I am hereby committing to saying NO to such things... until at least the end of October (including Halloween, which is not a problem, since a Snicker's bar simply does not hold a candle to a fine French pastry for me!). 

The rain has stopped for short periods but comes in torrents and they say it will be tomorrow too. The winds are starting up. I'm on tidal wetlands and at high tide its up to 5.5 feet, supposed to top out at 6 feet tomorrow so everything should be okay. We have flooded intersections near me so I'll be staying home until I go to the gym on Monday.

• Moderators

rainy here in ny and the trees are coming down all over the place de to the wet ground and wind. I do not wish to see what higher winds will do. 

I have bronchits and have to take all kinds of drugs which are wreaking havoc on my digestive tract. I don't want to eat yogurt-dairy is not my friend.

Has any one tried the coconut yogurt? Does it have the same healthy gut bacteria? the kind at traders joes has sugar but I am thinking I made need it. 

Any way that is my story for today. I think I will make some soup. I have a butternut squash I could cook up in the crock pot. 

I don't know about the coconut yogurt, look for a label that says it has "live & active cultures." For other probiotic sources, look for raw sauerkraut and kimchi (they'll be refrigerated, not the stuff in the shelf-stable cans, which are pasteurized) or kombucha. I don't shop at Trader Joe's, but I've heard they have a store brand of sauerkraut that is raw, fermented, and Whole30 compliant. I've also bough Wild Brine brand and Bubbie's at Whole Foods or at local health stores (Bubbie's also makes fermented pickles, which would also have some probiotics). GT's/Synergy brand kombucha is all compliant. With any of these fermented products, start small -- occasionally people find they cause more digestive distress, especially if they have a lot at once when they're not used to it.

feel better soon :)

Finally have a minute to check in since finishing the Whole 30.

Down 6.5 lbs. and lost 3 in. I'm happy with that.

I haven't done any reintroductions yet. I don't feel I'm missing out on anything. I'm another one who wants nothing to do with sugar. I'm not craving it so why add it. I would usually add coffee creamer to my coffee but it was more like adding coffee to my creamer,way to much sugar.

I'm going to try and do a whole 60 and go from there. I'm still looking for Tiger Blood so I need to go back and see what I'm missing before I move forward.

Congrats to everyone!

I'm confused about the amount of fat per meal.  When I use 1 Tbs of oil in food prep or in a serving of a recipe, I've been counting that as my thumb sized fat. Is that right?

It depends. If you're sauteeing, much of that cooking oil stays behind in the pan, so you may need to add fat afterward to compensate.

Further, 1-2 thumb sized amounts are the minimum for cooking oils and nut butters.  The portion sizes are different for things like coconut milk, avocado, nuts, seeds and olives. Details in the meal planning template.

Use satiety to gauge you as well. If your meals are not satiating you for 4-5 hours, and you're at the low end of the template on fat, up your fat portion.

Hi guys- I think I just missed the switch over here, but I made it now. :)

Alright you guys!! Day 32 and I think I finally have a second to realize I've completed the whole30(32)! Yay!! So many victories I don't even know where to begin. I have most of the NSV on the list. Some big ones:

1. More energy

2. More stable mood/happier

3. More regulated sleep/waking up without an alarm clock!!

4. Healthier relationship with food/no roller coaster or emotional eating.

5. Taking care of my needs better

6. Better glowy skin/shinier hair/brighter eyes

7. Flatter tummy/less digestive stress & IBS, GERD symptoms (I did Low FODMAP too)

8. I had planned on running straight towards a cocktail on day 31, but didn't want it.

9. Able to perform at my work better-I have grueling hours! (I'm a freelance cellist)

10. Better at quickly! Prepping food for the day as simple as it needs to be for my time constraints.

Ok- scale victory:

I lost 19 lbs!

(Don't be concerned if it seems high, I imagine a lot of that was gas from my out of control IBS). But feeling great about the number and my one size smaller pants that were waiting for me on my shelf!

Going to do a reintro of:

Day 1: Alcohol

Day 4: fodmap- polyols

Day 7: fodmap- fructose

And 10/10 I have a wedding to go to- still figuring out what I want to do there...then I plan on doing another whole30 (hoping to add in more veggies)-I already know Oligos and lactose are no good for me).

Moderators- let me know if this sounds like a good plan. :)

Thanks for all of your support!!

Day 1- intro: I had a dirty vodka martini. Felt fine other than a little tipsy. But definitely felt more dehydrated, and today my muscles are pretty achy. Could be the rainy weather, but probably not. Also, I work right next to a cookie restaurant! I know!! And I've been enjoying the 'free smells' all month, but today I REALLY wanted one. Again it could be the rainy weather, but it also could be the sugar dragon coming back that was so sweetly dormant all month.... Thoughts? Anyone else try a cocktail? Anyone just go for the cookie? Haha. I opted for a burger salad and coffee instead, but very tricky.

Ugh- I think my sugar dragon is very tamable, but only with 100% compliance. I really enjoyed no food cravings all month. I might have to really consider joining you ladies. Feeling like even one drink/bite will set me off...

NancyW will you be my "no-sugar buddy" for the next 30 days? ...I need some accountability. I am not worried about the added sugars in bacon, sausage or dressings, just the snacky dessert-like stuff. My go-to's would be fine quality dark chocolate, a fancy dessert at a restaurant, homemade ice cream from the local creamery, or a bakery indulgence. I am hereby committing to saying NO to such things... until at least the end of October (including Halloween, which is not a problem, since a Snicker's bar simply does not hold a candle to a fine French pastry for me!).

I'm out of town again, this time with my daughters. One lives 40 minutes from me, the other is two states away. I had some added dairy yesterday, and woke up with an "ooky" gut. Not horrible, but I didn't miss cheese enough to feel that way on a regular basis. Aside from that, it was a compliant day. We had Chipotle for lunch, and I loved the carnitas salad! We made dinner ourselves - greens and veggies with chicken, and oil/vinegar dressing. We were offered samples of ice cream and candy in a shop at the mall and I had no trouble saying no. I can't handle sugar, so it's not welcome back. I like not being food-crazy! It's so interesting and helpful to hear how everyone else is doing. That sense of not going through this alone is invaluable!

It is so exciting to read your posts, a few days ago you were so worried about being in a sugar coma and now you have taken the power from the sugar. No trouble saying 'no' to ice cream and candy.  Three thousand cheers for you!

Day 1- intro: I had a dirty vodka martini. Felt fine other than a little tipsy. But definitely felt more dehydrated, and today my muscles are pretty achy. Could be the rainy weather, but probably not. Also, I work right next to a cookie restaurant! I know!! And I've been enjoying the 'free smells' all month, but today I REALLY wanted one. Again it could be the rainy weather, but it also could be the sugar dragon coming back that was so sweetly dormant all month.... Thoughts? Anyone else try a cocktail? Anyone just go for the cookie? Haha. I opted for a burger salad and coffee instead, but very tricky.

Can you tell me what a 'dirty vodka martini' is? I wonder if the alcohol set you off. I bet you enjoyed the burger salad and coffee more than the cookie.

Still continuing on my W30 and doing well but have upped my breakfast to include some meat and kumara. Honestly I think the energy requirements change from day to day--just like a newborn's schedule! Suppose it is comparable. I am having some trouble getting all the water requirement in, just not thirsty and I get too full so am going more by how I feel.

My skin is still a problem but seems to be settling down somewhat--still not sure what is causing it but have been doing a lot of reading through the forums and finding some similar situations so that is helpful. I really hope it isn't eggs causing the problem as I rely on them so much these days.

Hope everyone stays indoors and safe from the winds, rain and weather problems.

We are supposed to be having summer weather and even now have the fire going as it is so cold! Not a great look. I suppose we will be sweltering with the heat in a couple weeks.

We put potty training on hold for a few weeks.  Little Miss is just terrified of putting her pee-pees in the toilet.  Hopefully in a few weeks she'll be ready to try again.  So, since I'm no longer focusing on that, I'm starting food reintroductions.

Re-introing gluten-free grain today.  Just had some toast.   Planning on having GF hot-dogs for lunch.  And DH is grilling tonight, so he's going to make some grilled corn.  3 servings of grain is way more than I would normally eat in 1 day, so we'll see how it goes.  Our little one was so excited to have bread this morning.

Planning on reintroducing dairy on Wednesday or Thursday.  DH will be offshore, and we already know he is lactose intolerant, so doing that reintroduction while he is gone makes sense.  Really looking forward to that latte.  It's really the only thing I have missed during this W30.

I don't think I'll bother formally reintroducing legumes.  Neither of us miss them.  And I've been gluten free for almost 5 years, so not reintroducing that either.

I put on jeans yesterday and not one pair in my closet fit me.  I've had a large pile of clothing stashed away for a while that I've been meaning to donate.  I dug through there and found some pants that I had decided I'd never fit in again.  They fit me perfectly, so that was pretty exciting.  Not getting rid of my fat pants just yet though, because in huge NSV news, an ovulation test this morning turned positive!  Two cycles in a row that I have ovulated since starting this new lifestyle.  So, hopefully the fat pants will be needed again soon :)

It depends. If you're sauteeing, much of that cooking oil stays behind in the pan, so you may need to add fat afterward to compensate.

Further, 1-2 thumb sized amounts are the minimum for cooking oils and nut butters.  The portion sizes are different for things like coconut milk, avocado, nuts, seeds and olives. Details in the meal planning template.

Use satiety to gauge you as well. If your meals are not satiating you for 4-5 hours, and you're at the low end of the template on fat, up your fat portion.

Thanks, Chris.  The only time I'm hungry between meals is after water aerobics.  I need to post the meal planning guide on my refrigerator.

We put potty training on hold for a few weeks.  Little Miss is just terrified of putting her pee-pees in the toilet.  Hopefully in a few weeks she'll be ready to try again.  So, since I'm no longer focusing on that, I'm starting food reintroductions.

Re-introing gluten-free grain today.  Just had some toast.   Planning on having GF hot-dogs for lunch.  And DH is grilling tonight, so he's going to make some grilled corn.  3 servings of grain is way more than I would normally eat in 1 day, so we'll see how it goes.  Our little one was so excited to have bread this morning.

Planning on reintroducing dairy on Wednesday or Thursday.  DH will be offshore, and we already know he is lactose intolerant, so doing that reintroduction while he is gone makes sense.  Really looking forward to that latte.  It's really the only thing I have missed during this W30.

I don't think I'll bother formally reintroducing legumes.  Neither of us miss them.  And I've been gluten free for almost 5 years, so not reintroducing that either.

I put on jeans yesterday and not one pair in my closet fit me.  I've had a large pile of clothing stashed away for a while that I've been meaning to donate.  I dug through there and found some pants that I had decided I'd never fit in again.  They fit me perfectly, so that was pretty exciting.  Not getting rid of my fat pants just yet though, because in huge NSV news, an ovulation test this morning turned positive!  Two cycles in a row that I have ovulated since starting this new lifestyle.  So, hopefully the fat pants will be needed again soon :)

Exciting news from you.  Congratulations on rediscovering those forgotten pants.  YEAH!

Archived