The Tiger Tots of the CFC

Crimsann

Can you tell me what a 'dirty vodka martini' is? I wonder if the alcohol set you off. I bet you enjoyed the burger salad and coffee more than the cookie.

Ok, this is vodka, a splash of dry vermouth and olive juice.  Gotta get that fat in some how! 

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I reintroduced alcohol last night at my fire pit/bbq party I hosted and I won't be doing that again. I can handle a drink or two but I think I had quite a bit of wine and some champagne. Alcohol is not my friend and I will be limiting that. I also had some chips but didn't even eat a lot. Usually I'd finish off the bag. 

With all of the good results I have been having eating this way, I don't plan on reintroducing anything yet. I am just going to continue on down this road. I may delve into some non whole30 treats but they will still be paleo, and I won't make a habit of them. 

I never did anything like the whole30 before and I never thought I could actually do with out those food groups. But now that I know I can, and I know that they are not good for me, why go back? Now that the cravings are gone, I feel empowered.  
Any way this is my thinking. I am interested in hearing your thoughts on this. 

Day 1- intro: I had a dirty vodka martini. Felt fine other than a little tipsy. But definitely felt more dehydrated, and today my muscles are pretty achy. Could be the rainy weather, but probably not. Also, I work right next to a cookie restaurant! I know!! And I've been enjoying the 'free smells' all month, but today I REALLY wanted one. Again it could be the rainy weather, but it also could be the sugar dragon coming back that was so sweetly dormant all month.... Thoughts? Anyone else try a cocktail? Anyone just go for the cookie? Haha. I opted for a burger salad and coffee instead, but very tricky.

I'd say the alcohol set off the craving...

Your reintro sounds fine to me BTW - at the wedding do you plan on sticking to Whole30 + the alcohol & FODMAPs you've reintro'ed?

I'd probably be inclined to go with that & loosen up the rules on added sugars, go back to Whole30 for a few days & then continue with reintros. Alternatively you throw caution to the wind, eat what you want, then go back to Whole30 for say 10/14/30days (including the polyols & fructose provided those trials go well) to get back to your new normal & then continue on with reintros....

Good Morning Gang,

It's been a relaxing weekend at my house.  Most of my kids' activities were canceled due to high winds which left us not running every where all day yesterday!  I have trouble sitting down and relaxing so it was a much needed day for me.  My husband and I also celebrated meeting 17 years ago last night.  We haven't gone out to dinner since the spring and we went to one of our favorite restaurants in Boston.  I had two drinks...prosecco & St. Germain...all compliant dinner foods...seafoods, shishito peppers, & salad.  And then we shared dessert.  It tasted good.  Homemade.  Small portion.  It felt right in that moment to eat it and I hope that wasn't my brain playing tricks on me.  I felt fine after dinner...not at all stuffed.  And my gym time this morning felt fine too, I had lots of energy.  I feel happy today and secure that my sugar snacking addiction is not hiding around a corner, but that instead I was savoring a special moment with my man.  My M1 satiated me and I'm looking forward to making homemade chicken soup today, not looking in the kids' candy stash.  I want to stay honest about all this though.  That's why I thought it was important to share it with all of you and I'll also share anything else this could bring to light.  We shall see.  But I'm betting on me!  :)

Hope you're all doing well and enjoying your Sunday where ever you may be.  peace.

I'm annoyed.  I can't sleep.  It's 11PM here & I am NEVER awake this late.  I dozed off while watching a movie with DH earlier and slept for 2 hours.  Usually naps will keep me up a little bit later, but not this late.  So I'm wondering if the grains had something to do with it.  My digestion seems to be fine, I didn't get a headache (a big one for me), and I basically felt fine all day.   

Uggh, I just want to sleep.

With all of the good results I have been having eating this way, I don't plan on reintroducing anything yet. I am just going to continue on down this road. I may delve into some non whole30 treats but they will still be paleo, and I won't make a habit of them. 

I never did anything like the whole30 before and I never thought I could actually do with out those food groups. But now that I know I can, and I know that they are not good for me, why go back? Now that the cravings are gone, I feel empowered.  

Agreed! Nice to give it more time... "I feel empowered" says it all! Why mess with that?! But breathe deep and know that when a treat comes along that seems "worth it", you'll simply test that out, gather results, and learn more about what works/doesn't work for you. This is all just part of "riding our own bikes"... : )

I'm annoyed.  I can't sleep.  It's 11PM here & I am NEVER awake this late.  I dozed off while watching a movie with DH earlier and slept for 2 hours.  Usually naps will keep me up a little bit later, but not this late.  So I'm wondering if the grains had something to do with it.  My digestion seems to be fine, I didn't get a headache (a big one for me), and I basically felt fine all day.   

Uggh, I just want to sleep.

Could be the grains... a shift in energy level is definitely one of the things to look for in terms of "reactions". Try a 2 day reset, then introduce the grain/s again to be sure? You may not get any other reactions (like GI probs or headaches). When I reintroduced gluten after my June Whole30, I got a weird brain fog, like my head was filled with stuffed cotton and my neurons weren't firing normally... but no stomach/digestive problems, and no headaches. I sure was glad to learn how gluten affected my BRAIN though, even if other parts of my body seemed OK with it. Good luck!

It's still raining and now we are having high winds. The water is pretty high and there is flooding all over. I am right on the coast, beautiful view but bothersome at times like this. I got up at 1 am last night (high tide) to make sure it wasn't flooding. High tide tonight is supposed to be 6 feet and that will be trouble.

Just finished cleaning up the kitchen after my weekly cook up. I made Chocolate Chili, meatloaf, turkey cranberry muffins, roasted a spaghetti squash, velvety butternut squash with pecans, cauliflower soup, sunshine sauce, compliant ketchup for my meatload, and red pepper sauce. I have a boston butt studded with garlic and rubbed with salt and pepper. It's going into my crockpot with 3 strips of bacon on the bottom and will cook for 16 hours on low so I'll start it about 8 pm. I have some chicken breasts brining and I'll grill them tomorrow. My meals will be easy this week, reheat, cook veggies, salad, eggs. About 3/4 of what I made will go in the freezer for future meals. I'm a widow and sometimes I just don't want to cook dinner but I do want a healthy meal.

@vozelle, yup.  It probably is the grains.  I just wish I hadn't taken that nap yesterday so I could know for sure it wasn't that.  I am planning on doing another grain reintroduction day, I think this time I will see what happens if I only have one serving of GF grains in a day as opposed to three.  I don't really plan on eating 3 servings of grains in a day again, but I would like the option of having one serving on occasion.  I wouldn't even do that every day, maybe once or twice a week at the most.  I guess I'll plan on doing that on Wednesday.  So that pushes my dairy reintroduction back until Saturday.

NancyW will you be my "no-sugar buddy" for the next 30 days? ...I need some accountability. I am not worried about the added sugars in bacon, sausage or dressings, just the snacky dessert-like stuff. My go-to's would be fine quality dark chocolate, a fancy dessert at a restaurant, homemade ice cream from the local creamery, or a bakery indulgence. I am hereby committing to saying NO to such things... until at least the end of October (including Halloween, which is not a problem, since a Snicker's bar simply does not hold a candle to a fine French pastry for me!). 

Yes, vozelle, I will be your no-sugar buddy!!! I ate at Cheesecake Factory with my daughters this weekend, and said no. I plan to continue to do just that for the foreseeable future! Having an accountability buddy will help immensely!! 

Hi! Here's my weekend debrief: I had some dairy and some beer. Dairy is out. Beer, hopefully, will not be! My daughters and I had a great weekend, especially the part where we very inconveniently got a major case of the giggles during a movie--the Johnny Depp gangster movie--NOT a comedy! But we all totally lost it after I tried to quiet a sneeze and it sounded like no noise ever made by a human before! One of my daughters finally got up and walked out, after which we were able to settle down--until she came back in and sat in a whole other section of the theater. That started us up all over again. Haven't had that much fun in ages, all while a guy was being strangled by mobster "Whitey" Bulger, larger than life on the big screen... 

On a more serious note, my daughters told me that they are very inspired by my efforts to eat the way I've been eating even as we faced all kinds of treats. I also had an email from a coworker who is interested in my results because she's been contemplating doing a W30 herself. I told her I'd be happy to talk Whole30 with her anytime!  :P

I enjoyed catching up with everyone. Funny how much I've missed you guys after being gone for a couple days! I think I still have some posts to read, so better get going.

marthab, this is pretty much how I plan to continue. I did have dairy over the weekend, but won't be going back to it. I also never thought I could do this, and I feel empowered as well--so amazing to me! 

Yes, vozelle, I will be your no-sugar buddy!!! I ate at Cheesecake Factory with my daughters this weekend, and said no. I plan to continue to do just that for the foreseeable future! Having an accountability buddy will help immensely!! 

Thank you NancyW... I'll check in about it as the month rolls by. So far, so good, despite a major temptation: A giant box of gourmet dark chocolates AND an assortment of mini-cupcakes in every imaginable flavor made by the local "healthy" bakery, brought to my house as a gift from a visiting friend... ahhh!! I said no (after oogling them, the cupcakes were soooo pretty) and was able to give them away to other guests without offending my friend, *whew*. The thing is, I didn't actually want to eat the sweets, knowing how my stomach would feel afterwards (crampy and bloated)... but my brain was doing a few flips and twists, words like "deserve" and "moderation" were bouncing around in there... hmm.

Sounds like there may be others on the forum who'd like to join us in the No-Sugar Club... we welcome you!

For me, a black-and-white rule about this is just easier right now. No wiggle room = safety, and less stress.

Excuse my crass language, but mother-flipping Tiger blood. 

I don't have a car, so I walk or take the bus everywhere I go.  Recently DH bought me a bike with a child carrier so I could get around a little easier.  But I hadn't ridden a bike in years, so I refused to use the child seat until I got some practice.  I finally put the child seat on yesterday & we went for a nice little family bike ride.

Then, this morning, thanks to my mother-flipping Tiger blood, I decided it would be a good idea for DD & I to bike to music class.  Sonofabeech.  That was 7km each way, with a ton of hills, and all sorts of crazy wind.  What was I thinking?  My legs are like jello now.  Should make for an interesting Pilates class tonight.

And I got a good chuckle at the weird looks I got from the other parents when I pulled a couple of meatballs out of my diaper bag to eat before music class.  I mean, who doesn't carry chicken meatballs around with them?

I'd say the alcohol set off the craving...

Your reintro sounds fine to me BTW - at the wedding do you plan on sticking to Whole30 + the alcohol & FODMAPs you've reintro'ed?

I'd probably be inclined to go with that & loosen up the rules on added sugars, go back to Whole30 for a few days & then continue with reintros. Alternatively you throw caution to the wind, eat what you want, then go back to Whole30 for say 10/14/30days (including the polyols & fructose provided those trials go well) to get back to your new normal & then continue on with reintros....

thanks jmcbn, I'm somewhere inbetween those two options right now.  Might play it by ear.  But I was planning on doing another whole 30 with a couple friends after the wedding, so it might be a good time to go off plan just a little.  going to do polyol reintro tmo.  any ideas?  i've got some cauliflower, avocado, shredded shredded, 1 cup of sweet potatoes, and maybe i'll find a peach and or blackberries.  I'm not optimistic.  Also, wondering if a small amount of coffee will interfere with the results?  Not sure.  Also, we can chalk the sugar cravings to the alcohol, but also PMS!  Argh, so now I'm not sure about my alcohol reintro really.  Will have to try it again I guess.  Probably a bit of both!  Good luck to all.  :)  

Thank you NancyW... I'll check in about it as the month rolls by. So far, so good, despite a major temptation: A giant box of gourmet dark chocolates AND an assortment of mini-cupcakes in every imaginable flavor made by the local "healthy" bakery, brought to my house as a gift from a visiting friend... ahhh!! I said no (after oogling them, the cupcakes were soooo pretty) and was able to give them away to other guests without offending my friend, *whew*. The thing is, I didn't actually want to eat the sweets, knowing how my stomach would feel afterwards (crampy and bloated)... but my brain was doing a few flips and twists, words like "deserve" and "moderation" were bouncing around in there... hmm.

Sounds like there may be others on the forum who'd like to join us in the No-Sugar Club... we welcome you!

For me, a black-and-white rule about this is just easier right now. No wiggle room = safety, and less stress.

Yes, this. Exactly! I have a weak spot for pastry and donuts, along with candy of all kinds. And as much as I think I can eat just a small serving/bag/package, I CAN'T. So the no-sugar rule is my friend right now. I have a very all-or-nothing attitude when it comes to food, and the W30 fits right in with that.

Given how well the support system here works, we welcome any support there is to be had in the No-Sugar Club!!

It is so exciting to read your posts, a few days ago you were so worried about being in a sugar coma and now you have taken the power from the sugar. No trouble saying 'no' to ice cream and candy.  Three thousand cheers for you!

Thanks, misslindy! It sure helps to be around people (my wonderful daughters) who love and support me, and would do so even if I crashed hard into a vat of sugar-laden treats. 

thanks jmcbn, I'm somewhere inbetween those two options right now.  Might play it by ear.  But I was planning on doing another whole 30 with a couple friends after the wedding, so it might be a good time to go off plan just a little.  going to do polyol reintro tmo.  any ideas?  i've got some cauliflower, avocado, shredded shredded, 1 cup of sweet potatoes, and maybe i'll find a peach and or blackberries.  I'm not optimistic.  Also, wondering if a small amount of coffee will interfere with the results?  Not sure.  Also, we can chalk the sugar cravings to the alcohol, but also PMS!  Argh, so now I'm not sure about my alcohol reintro really.  Will have to try it again I guess.  Probably a bit of both!  Good luck to all.   :)

Alcohol is always gonna encourage poor food choices - I find I'm fine if I'm having a glass of wine with a meal for instance, but if I'm having a drink on it's own it will invoke the snack dragon so I tend to only have social drinks in company when I'm distracted with good conversation - and I find that I want a social drink less & less anyway the longer I eat this way.... 

Re the FODMAPS - I'd start with whichever you feel might cause you the least issues so as not to impact on how you're feeling for the wedding... Cauliflower is a killer for me, avocado I can tolerate provided I haven't had any other FODMAPS alongside it, and sweet potato is fine - but then that's my personal experience. Fruit I rarely eat so I'm no help there - sorry! 

Again, just my personal opinion here but I'd try the coffee - you've done without it for long enough, and it's just one of those ones you need to take in moderation as it can irritate the gut, so make it a good one!

What a weekend - I ended up at a festival - actually could make some good choices - pulled pork with no sauce and water and the chocolate dipped strawberries without the chocolate!  Then we had dinner out - had my first few sips of wine but then decided I just didn't want to drink. It was a birthday dinner party for a friend so for dessert I had a bite of sorbet. Otherwise all good.

I really had my first true cheat on Sunday at an auction party - ate all complient foods but had one bite of a salted caramel. And to be honest I was good with that - otherwise we are staying mostly Whole30 - the one thing I am going to reintroduce this week is oatmeal.  I really want something different for breakfast and with my slight allergy to eggs I have been avoiding them even though I love them but it is not worth the mild upset tummy every time I eat them.  I have lost 20 pounds and 20 inches since September 1st and could not be happier about how I fell.  I have done all this under my Natruopath's recommendation and could not be happier.  I have an appointment with her tomorrow and can't wait to share my successes.  Of course I still have quite a bit more to lose but with all of my NSV I know it will eventually come off and I okay with that - it is just so nice to not count calories or track food. And I have found that I really am enjoying making new recipes.

Anyway - glad we are all still together to share our adventures in eating.

Please share your new and favorite recipes - especially if you have some good soup ones as the days get cooler - always looking for a good one!!

Have a great Monday!

I feel like I'm alone in asking this but does anyone else feel like they had more control DURING their W30 than during the reintro phases?  I feel like I'm losing control and I'm afraid.

I've had twinges of those feelings too, Ashley and then remember that I'm in charge of my choices and I know what they are.  I did a reintro of non gluten grains yesterday and had a headache after every meal.  Really?  Oatmeal used to be my breakfast 4 days/week.  I think as we see the reaction our bodies have to old choices, the easier it will be to stay compliant most of the time.  Hang in there; you're not alone!

I understand your thinking.  I'm doing the reintro as outlined in the book to see what the reaction will be.  So far, it's confirming the reason to avoid the non-compliant foods.  I never thought I'd get rid of sugar cravings and don't want them back so I'm proceeding carefully.  At least we now know how to get right back on track if we stray too far.  Happy for your wonderful feelings of empowerment.

I feel like I'm alone in asking this but does anyone else feel like they had more control DURING their W30 than during the reintro phases?  I feel like I'm losing control and I'm afraid.

Absolutely, I can relate.  Once I start re-introing things sometimes I feel like "screw it, you ate this 'bad' stuff, why not eat more 'bad' stuff".  Not everyone is like that but I think I just do better with concrete "rules".  That's why I keep coming back to W30 - I will evenutally crash my bike into less-healthy stuff and need to get back on track.  I hope, as I continue to do this, that I will be much more steady on this bike of mine and learn not to crash headfirst into less-healthy food.  I think this will take me a while to figure out.

I re-intro'd gluten on Saturday.  I had 2 pieces of toast with breakfast (with avocado and Frank's hot sauce on top - must say, it tasted quite amazing), a Five Guys burger with bun for lunch, and macaroni salad and beer with dinner.  I'm not gonna lie, that beer was the first alcohol I've had since I started this W30 - and it tasted SO good.  It took less than one beer for me to feel tipsy.  So, a bit after eating the toast, my stomach really hurt and I had diarrhea.  I just wasn't feeling great all morning after that.  I didn't have the same experience after lunch and dinner, no real bad reactions except for feeling more full and a little bit bloated.  I don't eat much gluten when I'm not doing a W30 so it's not something that will be a regular part of my life - only very rare appearances in my diet.  

I also off-roaded a bit and had a slice of paleo pumpkin pie, which I made.  It was quite tasty, and I will be honest in saying that I ate more than I should have.  I don't bake much at home because I end up eating most of it.  But the rest of my family asked me to bake, and I had some pumpkin puree to use, so there you have it.  I will also be honest in saying that I stared long and hard for a moment at that pie this morning and considered having it for breakfast, but I had some spaghetti squash and HB eggs instead.  I also have a compliant lunch that I'm looking forward to.

Have a great day everyone!

Archived