The Tiger Tots of the CFC

Crimsann

I feel like I'm alone in asking this but does anyone else feel like they had more control DURING their W30 than during the reintro phases?  I feel like I'm losing control and I'm afraid.

[/quote

Ashley, for sure! I am with you on that. I was so proud of myself I had to bring all of these dessert samples to customers and I had them in my fridge over the weekend. Well hormones and Sunday night happened and I had some of the individual cakes with my family on Sunday...I ate compliant all weekend but then had that cake :( Felt bad about it. I threw they rest of the sample box out this morning as I just wanted it out of the good zone that my fridge has become. To your question- When it is totally black and white-felt like I had more control for sure. Today I got up and made myself a veggie frittata, at lunch had a protein Salad and dinner chicken with chopped salad...

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wanted to share something for those of us who have younger children. I had an amazing weekend with my daughter.

She was playing in a tennis tournament, she was not seeded- a level 6 superseries... Anyways she has been having a little bit of an issue controlling her temper since the middle of the summer...nothing crazy, no racket banging or anything like that butanger. My mother has always said to me "If your child is misbehaving or acting out the first place you have to look is in the mirror" If I am stress my daughter can be stressed too.

Ok to get to my point. My daughter won her two matches on Saturday, the second one was the second seed. On Sunday I had talked to her on the way about keeping her cool and keeping her focus. Well she played absolutely amazing on Sunday... beat her oopponent in the semi final 6-1, 6-1 and this girl is very good but Gracie was just on fire... She won the final which was alittle tougher- they split sets but my daughter won the tie breaker 10-1! She was just so calm and so focused and powerful. Both of these girls had beaten my daughter in the past. It was just so awesome to see her put it all together. I credit some of this to Whole 30. I just feel like I am more relaxed and calmer around my family since I started changing my eating habits. When my daughter was able to put it all together for herself a little part of me celebrated the victory of setting a better example for her. This change so benefits our families in ways that I suspect we don't even realize :)

@Crimsann, It's like they're the same kid.  Evelyn has successfully potty-trained all her stuffed animals.  Multiple times a day I hear her say "Potty?  Run! Fast, fast, fast!"  And she runs her animal over to the potty chair.  They successfully go pee-pee or poops in the potty and then she praises them and wipes their bottoms.  She's clearly a better mother than I am ;)

Ok, does anyone have any info on the restaurant Shake Shack? Their meat quality looks good, but wondering about oil and seasonings? Also, how do we feel about fries here in the reintro stage? Would love to add them back in as an option every once in a while when I'm out, but not sure. Does it depend on the oil and place? Or is it just a no way? Thanks!

@halfpint_aggie, I so wish my little sister were doing this with our group right now, I know how much she would relate to where you are.  Her girl is just shy of two and going through the potty-training deal and tantrums just now.  Her thing is being perfectly aware of what her baby potty is for and how to use it, she is in fact studiously potty-training her dolls right now...but it's beneath her own dignity to use it. 

peaches.jpg

That's too funny!

Alright, unhappy low fodmaper here- tried to reintro the ployols and it didn't go so well. Had a half an avocado and had bad reactions including bloated tummy, headache, minor GERD symptoms however I fared pretty well with a larger helping of sweet potato hash, so maybe that's a win. Didn't even get to the cauliflower I had cooked for dinner...having it tonight just to be sure. (I mean I had already cooked it). So less optimistic about the fructose. Especially since I've already noted some reactions to apples, and bananas. Oh well, I might be a low fodmaper for life. Ugh.

Good morning all.  Just checking in. 

I've been staying mostly W30 compliant.  I've decided to just introduce things as they come. I've really enjoyed this way of eating and wasn't overly eager to try anything off plan.  Last week we went out to dinner and I had a hamburger with jalapenos, onions, lettuce and tomato. I ate half of the bun.  I didn't feel any different which was nice.  I ate the rest of the burger without the bun and it tasted just as delicious.  So...I'm kinda over the bun thing. Other than making it fork free, it really didn't add anything to the burger experience. LOL.

Last night my boyfriend decided he really wanted pizza and beer.  He felt he had a very hard, laborious day at work and that he 'deserved' it.  After asking him multiple times if he REALLY wanted the pizza, I ordered the pizza.  He did the W30 with me so I figured this would be an interesting experiment.  Even up until we got the pizza home I wasn't sure I was going to eat it.  I had leftover stuffed peppers in the fridge which was my original plan.  I wasn't overly excited or wanting the pizza very much.  And I was afraid of the slippery slope the pizza my cause me.  As I sat in the car with the pizza on my lap I was having a very intense debate in my head about what was going to happen with this pizza.  How was this pizza going to make me feel physically?  Would it upset my stomach?  Would I get a headache?  Would it awaken my sugar dragon?  Would this pizza make me 'fall off the wagon'?  Would this trigger me and give me an out to eat ice cream, brownies, chocolate...and all those terrible things that got me to the point I'm at today?  For a moment I really felt like an addict.

Needless to say I ate the pizza and I feel horrible today.  Last night after I ate the pizza I felt terribly bloated and tired.  I slumped on the couch and stared at the television until I fell asleep on the couch, which I haven't done in weeks.  This morning I woke up with a solid headache, I was coughing, and I feel dead to the world.  My boyfriend who often had sinus issues prior to W30...woke up with sinus issues and fels like he might have a sinus infection coming on.  Really!!?!?!?  Clearly, pizza is the devil.  In fact, you couldn't even pay me to eat another slice today.

Although the pizza made me feel like crap and part of me wishes I didn't eat it, there is another part that is grateful. This was a reminder that I am not missing anything!  I read a quote a while back that said "nothing tastes as good as healthy feels".  I've never really understood that until now. 

What a learning experience this has been!!!

Alright, unhappy low fodmaper here- tried to reintro the ployols and it didn't go so well. Had a half an avocado and had bad reactions including bloated tummy, headache, minor GERD symptoms however I fared pretty well with a larger helping of sweet potato hash, so maybe that's a win. Didn't even get to the cauliflower I had cooked for dinner...having it tonight just to be sure. (I mean I had already cooked it). So less optimistic about the fructose. Especially since I've already noted some reactions to apples, and bananas. Oh well, I might be a low fodmaper for life. Ugh.

Yeah, see sweet potato is one of the 'eat in moderation' ones and considering you'd already tried avocado and got a reaction I'd take the sweet potato as a win.

You might want to just try ONE fodmap per day in your trials to see how you tolerate them in small doses just so as you can determine if they're gone for good, or if any can be eaten in moderation/occasionally...

Just checking in. I have not reintroed anything yet. I havent had a reason too. I am waititng for a good reason. Having bronchitis has kept me inactive for the last week and it has been a struggle to keep myself fed but my husband has been cooking so we are not starving.Also the anitbiotics have really made me queasy and that has pretty much killed my appetite. I havent had the energy to plan and shop so it has been hit or miss. I really do have to get out and shop.

I have one butternut squash, one or two sweet potatos and some chopped meat in the house. I am thinking I will make chili. Could be worse.  :)

Hey all...

Doing pretty good here.  I am treading water a bit.  My back injury is still preventing me from any real exercise.  I am not a fan of missing regular exercise.  Recovery is slow and I broke down and set a chiropractor appointment for this afternoon to see if some "alignment" will help.

I am on plan but I did have a bit of salami (on Monday Night) which did have dextrose in the ingredients list.  Today was all beef hamburger patties with pickle and salsa plus a big green/cabbage salad for lunch.

I did hop on the scale today and was down 4.5 Lbs since last Thursday (weigh in day for me).  I know...not a good measure but I have gone from 5-6 workouts per week to 0 over the last 10 days... due to my back issues.

Looking forward to the re-introduction process starting (as planned) on Monday (after the Canadian Thanksgiving).

Cheers

DJ

...Oh well, I might be a low fodmaper for life. Ugh.

I swear I read somewhere that once the digestive system and intestinal flora are back in balance, folks can start reintroducing things that they used to be reactive to as a fodmaper. Maybe do some research on your own about this? Maybe there is hope?

...I read a quote a while back that said "nothing tastes as good as healthy feels". I've never really understood that until now...

Sheer genius, that quote! Awesome learning, you! When I talk to people about the W30 and healthy eating in general, and they look at me like I'm crazy that I would want to "deprive myself" of various treats the culinary world has to offer… I just focus in on how great it feels to be clean, lean, and energized. I asked them "Do you know how wonderful it feels to wake up every morning STOKED to be alive, happy and comfortable in your own skin, loving your own body, and full of optimism, joy and EXTRA OVER-FLOWING energy?" Usually they stare blankly back at me, and I have made my point. Now, thanks to you, I can punctuate it with that amazing quote! And by the way, the quote is even MORE true as we age…

Hey all...

Doing pretty good here.  I am treading water a bit.  My back injury is still preventing me from any real exercise.  I am not a fan of missing regular exercise.  Recovery is slow and I broke down and set a chiropractor appointment for this afternoon to see if some "alignment" will help.

I am on plan but I did have a bit of salami (on Monday Night) which did have dextrose in the ingredients list.  Today was all beef hamburger patties with pickle and salsa plus a big green/cabbage salad for lunch.

I did hop on the scale today and was down 4.5 Lbs since last Thursday (weigh in day for me).  I know...not a good measure but I have gone from 5-6 workouts per week to 0 over the last 10 days... due to my back issues.

Looking forward to the re-introduction process starting (as planned) on Monday (after the Canadian Thanksgiving).

Cheers

DJ

If it helps I've been out of training for 5wks with a back injury and my weight has remained stable - I don't weigh, but I know from how my clothes fit - in fact I'd say I gained more on my two week summer vacation and I was pretty active then...

In the first week or so I was eating just like before but my body soon figured out it wasn't moving as much and my appetite decreased accordingly.

Wise move on the chiropracter - if they can manipulate your back for you it will save you some time & effort in rehabilitation exercises, but do spend invest some effort on finding some simple exercises that will strengthen both your back & your core to avoid a re-occurence.

Take it easy & listen to your body now more than ever.

Alright you guys- I'm having a serious moment with wanting fall pumpkiny flavored custard. I didn't get enough sleep last night and have a crazy long day at work today. I think the stress hormones are kicking in majorly. Help! Hanging on strong so far.

Alright you guys- I'm having a serious moment with wanting fall pumpkiny flavored custard. I didn't get enough sleep last night and have a crazy long day at work today. I think the stress hormones are kicking in majorly. Help! Hanging on strong so far.

Protein and fat are your friends.  :) 

Hang in there ... and get a nap in as soon as you can.

I'm still eating pretty close to W30, after cheese and beer over the weekend. I'm happy with that! We had a department meeting (all 4 of us LOL) and my boss treated to pizza, but was happy to order Chicken Primavera for me, subbing a potato for the pasta. I love pizza, but not enough to do the stomach symptoms that will plague me after eating it. I also passed up the little dessert treats she picked up. It felt good to do that, and it felt surprisingly NORMAL! "No thanks." Simple as that. Like I've haven't had a sweet tooth all my life. I don't intend to take that for granted, I will nurture and encourage that resistance muscle so that it grows to be nice and STRONG. 

A coworker is starting Whole30 after her son's birthday. She was asking about how it's gone for me, and I am more than happy to share my story with her, and the things I've learned about how to fit it in my life. It's easier for me, as I only  have myself to worry about, and she has a family to cook for, but I can still offer her tips for making it easier than it might be! 

I'm still resisting exercise. Not sure why... I think I'll ask my friend at work, who gets her butt to the gym every morning, for some motivation. Can't hurt, might help! I want to get my arse in gear before winter sets in. I am one of those S.A.D. people who would happily spend my winter inside, curled up in a blanket in the dark. (Maybe "happily" isn't quite the right word...)

A coworker is starting Whole30 after her son's birthday. She was asking about how it's gone for me, and I am more than happy to share my story with her, and the things I've learned about how to fit it in my life. It's easier for me, as I only  have myself to worry about, and she has a family to cook for, but I can still offer her tips for making it easier than it might be! 

I'm still resisting exercise. Not sure why... I think I'll ask my friend at work, who gets her butt to the gym every morning, for some motivation. Can't hurt, might help! I want to get my arse in gear before winter sets in. I am one of those S.A.D. people who would happily spend my winter inside, curled up in a blanket in the dark. (Maybe "happily" isn't quite the right word...)

That is awesome that you inspired your friend. As someone with a family at home her Whole 30 will not just benefit her but her whole family. I lived in Vermont for 10 years and it was always very tough in Winter. I was born in FL and really struggled with the S.A.D. Exercise is your friend there for sure. I had one of those lights too I used to sit by... I have been dragging a little on exercise too. I have been doing a little better this week but not as good as I did over the summer. Work gets busy and my good moves go down the crapper!

Lets say we do at least an hour of something four days this week. I think that is doable. and then next week we try to do a little more. Once you start doing it gets easier. Good music helps too :) I have to invest in some good headphones... I don't have any that don't hurt my ears.

On a side note my daughter just heated a piece of apple tart :( It smells really good but I had my dessert on Sunday. I have been compliant all day...Monday and Tuesday as well...Nope not gonna... :)

Hi Everyone,

Been trying to catch up on how everyone is doing. I see lots of people lost some good weight. Almost makes me wish I had a scale. 

I crashed over the weekend and had too many ingredients I had hoped to avoid. One of the things I tried to reintroduce was wine. I was not a huge wine drinker before. An occasional glass once or twice a month was all I indulged in before. Now it makes me feel ill. Instant reflux and bellyache. Goodbye Wine. 

Most of my meals have been like before but some have included gluten and/or dairy-both of which I had given up long before the Whole30. Yeah, still can't consume and process either. So tomorrow I am going back on plan and will do another Whole30 just to reset. I should have continued but I am not going to sweat it. I know what works for me now. 

I'm still eating pretty close to W30, after cheese and beer over the weekend. I'm happy with that! We had a department meeting (all 4 of us LOL) and my boss treated to pizza, but was happy to order Chicken Primavera for me, subbing a potato for the pasta. I love pizza, but not enough to do the stomach symptoms that will plague me after eating it. I also passed up the little dessert treats she picked up. It felt good to do that, and it felt surprisingly NORMAL! "No thanks." Simple as that. Like I've haven't had a sweet tooth all my life. I don't intend to take that for granted, I will nurture and encourage that resistance muscle so that it grows to be nice and STRONG. 

Good luck. I am a S.A.D. person, too. I can feel it creeping up on me. Why do we continue to live in the upper Midwest?   :unsure:

I exercise at home, could never get comfortable at the gym.  Maybe if I'd had someone to gym it would have been better, lol.  Anyway, my motivation is a little twisted, but it's working.  Apart from the fact I REALLY need to be back in shape for a trip we're taking in Dec, I have started streaming seasons of a show I really enjoyed and my elliptical is the only place I allow myself to watch it - I missed the first three seasons, so that ought to take me through enough weeks to get the habit set in.  The part that makes it a bit twisted is the one that pulls me onto the elliptical is America's Next Top Model. :D

Good luck. I am a S.A.D. person, too. I can feel it creeping up on me. Why do we continue to live in the upper Midwest?   :unsure:

Do you have grow lights somewhere in your house for the winter?  Both my brother and grandmother are S.A.D. also - putting one in the reading light and/or desk light seemed to help out quite a bit.

Protein, and fat are your friends.  :) 

Hang in there ... and get a nap in as soon as you can.

Thanks GFChris! That was just the encouragement I needed to get through and I actually ended up getting two Burgers wrapped with lettuce...I think my 9 hrs of playing cello plus commuting needed way more fuel than I was giving my body (an extra WO meal of sorts). My energy levels picked up a bit and I made it through my last show plus a little coffee help. Cheers! :). Finally reaching for that nap!

Lets say we do at least an hour of something four days this week. I think that is doable. and then next week we try to do a little more. Once you start doing it gets easier. Good music helps too :) I have to invest in some good headphones... I don't have any that don't hurt my ears.

I can start with a half hour (to increase after a couple of weeks!) for four days, beginning after this week. Besides month end and year end, I have to move out of my current desk tonight due to an office reconfiguration, and have no idea where I'll be able to work tomorrow, or when I'll be able to set up in my new cubicle. Stress? Nope, not me!

As for SAD, I do have a UV light at my desk that I use in winter. I also only work till 4, so I can see a bit of sun at the end of each day. And I do know that my new cubicle is by a window. That will help too! But exercise will help the most. Better get to work.

Good Morning Tiger Tots,

It's good to read about the exercise partners and the staying away from sugary treats in a moment of weakness...that actually took a quite a lot of strength.  The positivity and support of this group keeps me coming back for more.

On my end, I'm staying compliant for my three meals and  yet feeling tired.  I'm getting 8 hours of sleep a night and still feeling kinda beat after my 25 minute commute to and from work.  And napping in the afternoons just before dinner.  How much sleep do I need?  Is it the dark I'm waking in?  Am I running too much (and I have cut back).  Is it my disinterest in my job?  I'm just not sure.  This is one issue I'm trying to figure out.

And the second issue is this:  the more comfortable I become with the template and this way of eating, the more relaxed I become about food in general.  The more relaxed I become the more I start thinking about what could be an afternoon pick-me-up.  Not out of hunger...just because I love to snack in the afternoon.  So, I've been talking myself down about that daily as I know that's where bad habits start...like eating smaller meals so I can justify eating treats around 4pm to compensate for the things I don't like in my life but for the moment are out of my control.  

I'm being mindful and keeping the faith.  I read Melissa's posts about what she eats and that helped a lot.  Sticking to the plan is an extremely healthy way to live my life and I love that!  And it takes time.  Changes in habits don't happen overnight.  And though this was my first Whole30, I began getting healthier years ago and just seem to up it a notch as I get older and I feel the importance more and more.  

Oh, and I'm trying to chew more.  I eat quickly...I've slowed down...but I want to slow down more.  Chew.  Enjoy.  Chew.  Enjoy.  And then maybe swallow.

And if any of you remember that I'm doing another Whole30 this month where I'm connecting with family and friends daily, that is going very well.  I've heard from some people in return and that makes me smile from ear to ear!

take care & peace

I think I may need to join you ladies in your exercise pact!

I've never been a morning person and as much as I love the idea of getting up early in the am to do a workout, it never happens.  I'll do it for a couple days and then the snooze button gets the best of me.  My problem is that I never make exercise a priority in my life and never carve out the time it deserves.  I feel like I do better in the evenings, but my evenings are pretty inconsistent.  I've definitely been more active then ever before, but that's not saying much.  :P

So, just like my decision to do W30...I guess I just have to make a decision to prioritize exercise!

Archived