Breakfast & lunch ideas

OneLittleBrit

Today is my 1st day on Whole30! Yesterday, i was doing my meal plans for the week - all my dinner meals are fine, but i'm struggling for breakfast & lunch ideas.

Breakfast needs to be quick (had scrambled eggs &  approved bacon with avocado this morning) and got a salad for lunch (no meat, i forgot!) but i don't really have any other ideas.

Lunch needs to be able to go to work with me, and i have around 15 minutes for breakfast before i leave for work.

I  also want to keep my husband interested with tasty food as he is doing this with me.

Thanks for your help!

• Administrators

Have you looked around the forum to see what others have experienced and how they have managed this common issue?

Google "Whole30 + breakfast" and "Whole30 + picnic" and "Whole30 brown bag" for ideas on all.

Breakfast can be any meal that you would eat at any other time of the day.

I've been baking up a 6-serving egg casserole lately - there's tons of recipes out there both under "breakfast casserole" and under "frittata" . Basically, cook some compliant sausage (either link or ground), sauté a large amount of veggies and put with the sausage, then cool. Once cooled, add a dozen whisked eggs and season as you like. Bake for 30-40 minutes in a medium oven until the eggs are set. I cut it into 6 portions and put it in storage ware in the fridge. Then it's just a matter of reheating. I usually have it on a bed of baby spinach or other greens for added veggies, and some avocado for additional fat.

Lunch today was all pre-made. Baked spaghetti squash strands, reheated meat sauce I made in the slow cooker yesterday, big handful of baby spinach wilted by the heat of the other 2 + glug of olive oil.  Usually I'm more of a huge salad, 1-2 palms of pre-cooked meat and dressing or dressing and olives kind of gal, but I wanted something warm today.

Thanks i'll try some googling. I'm not sure about eating a "dinner" meal for breakfast though.

As a previous non breakfast eater getting over this mental jump was one of the most important things to me on my first whole30...there really is no reason why you can only eat x, y and z at breakfast. I eat leftovers a lot for meal 1 now ;)

• Moderators

Thanks i'll try some googling. I'm not sure about eating a "dinner" meal for breakfast though.

Here's an easy fix for that... whatever you have for your 'dinner meal for breakfast', just fry or poach an egg and stick it on top! Voila!  Breakfast!

I eat the same thing almost every day for breakfast, and the same lunch most weekdays as well. For breakfast, I heat up a pile of sweet potatoes (bulk cooked on the weekend) and maybe toss in some other protein if there is some in the fridge, while I heat a pan to fry eggs.  Throw baby spinach on the plate once the potatoes are hot, put the eggs on top of the spinach, and breakfast is served. I do vary the fat for breakfast, some days olives, some days half an avocado, some days a half an apple with almond butter. It takes about 5 minutes to throw together, 10 to eat. Yes, I do leave the dirty pan on the stove top until I get home from work, but the pan doesn't seem to mind!

Lunch is pre made in bulk on the weekend as well.  I make tuna salad with homemade mayo (and a few other add-ins like celery, apple, dill, lemon, whatever strikes me), and cut up and pre-bag veggies (usually celery, red pepper, olives). I will typically throw in a serving of fruit and a container of leftover veggies from dinner the night before. I rarely have access to a microwave to heat lunch, so I always plan on things that can be kept and eaten cold. Maybe I'm lucky that I don't mind the same thing day after day, or maybe Ive decided that if I'm going to be picky I'm going to have to spend even more time on meal planning and prep. Which I don't care to do! 

I should add I'm not currently 'on' whole30; I did my one and only to date in January of this year. So it's not like I've been eating the same thing for only a week or two at this point! I do vary my foods when I am off work (school holidays and summer), because I think that's important for nutrition. Dinner is always different. For those times when time is short, find something you like, stick with it. Vary meals when you can manage. 

A hash with whatever you had prepped is a great idea.

How about some compliant lunch meat (if you can find it), wrapped around mashed avocado, roasted red pepper, etc?

Could also pre-make lettuce wraps with mashed avocado, a veggie and a protein. I did that a few days when I was running short on time. Lettuce, crockpot chicken thighs, roasted red pepper + a bit of homemade ranch or avocado.

For breakfast I usually cook a five serving casserole or frittata and eat it the whole week. For lunch I like to take a quick protein salad usually made with tuna, nom nom paleo's spicy tuna cakes, hard boiled eggs, smoked salmon or roast beef. For carbs and fat I take carrots and grape tomatoes with some homemade mayo based dip or guacamole. 

A couple of weeks ago I made a big batch of sautéed, chopped, onions, red and green peppers, and ground turkey. I only seasoned it with salt and pepper because I wanted to be able to add different seasonings as I used it, for variety. I chose ground turkey because I don't think it has much flavor on it's own, but you could use any ground meat of your choice. When I grabbed some for breakfast or lunch, some of the seasonings I would mix in were: coconut milk + curry powder; chile powder + cumin; fresh herbs; coconut milk + Indian spices; and coconut aminos + ginger. I would also mix in whatever extra vegs I had on hand because the chopped vegs in the mix were not enough. The base mixture can be frozen. This worked so well, I'm going to make another batch this weekend.

Today is my 1st day on Whole30! Yesterday, i was doing my meal plans for the week - all my dinner meals are fine, but i'm struggling for breakfast & lunch ideas.

Breakfast needs to be quick (had scrambled eggs &  approved bacon with avocado this morning) and got a salad for lunch (no meat, i forgot!) but i don't really have any other ideas.

Lunch needs to be able to go to work with me, and i have around 15 minutes for breakfast before i leave for work.

I  also want to keep my husband interested with tasty food as he is doing this with me.

Thanks for your help!

Where are you all finding compliant bacon? Brand? Store?

Hi Enthuz, i got the bacon from Sprouts, it specifically says no added sugar on the label but it was last week and i can't remember the brand. Completely compliant and delicious though, if i get some more this weekend, i'll add it to this thread.

I get mine from Sprouts as well - I believe it's Pederson's No Sugar Hickory Smoked Bacon.  The ingredients are pork, water, less than 2%: salt, vinegar, celery powder.

Archived