Day 20- frustrated

AKH

I am on day 20 today and unfortunately have not seen the results I was hoping to see (: ie: still not sleeping great,don't think I have lost any weight as my clothes feel exactly the same, and still low in energy). I have hashimotos and am on thyroid meds for hypothyroidism. It all started just after I gave birth in December 2013. I went from being fairly healthy and active (eating primal 90% of the time) to extremely fatigued and depressed. I was then diagnosed at 16 weeks post partum and was hoping that I would feel like my old self once the meds kicked in. I felt better, but not 100%. I'm always tired when I wake up and generally lack energy to do a lot of things.

I tried the AIP for a few weeks last year but found it too restrictive so gave that up. My goals for my Whole30 are :

1. To feel more energised

2. To feel happier generally- I have so much to be greaful for- good baby, great husband, decent job, great family/friends

3. To sleep better

4. To lose some weight and feel better about my body- I've strugled to lose the last six pounds of my pregnancy weight and look about four months pregnant!

Up to Day 19, I did the Whole30 with no eggs, oranges, grapefruit, lamb, beef, nightshades, and pepper.

I had tiger blood on day 8 and felt AMAZING. But it hasn't happened again since.

I spent last night reading up on FODMAP and as of today have gone low FODMAP as well. I'm just looking for some encouragement and if someone has been in my shoes- hands up please!

Thank you.

You still have 10 days to go! A lot of people take the entire 30 days to reap any benefits and those with medical conditions can take even longer. I can feel your frustration in your writing but it is really too early in the process for any real magic to have happened. Personally I only felt it once during my 30 days when I had a burst of tiger blood then I kept on going and just got better and better.

• Moderators

Could you list a couple of days' worth of food, including approximate portion sizes, as well as water intake and exercise? I'd hate for you to keep cutting out more stuff if there's something else that might help. 

Off the top of my head, I'd ask are you eating at least one fist-sized serving of starchy vegetables each day? Most people feel best with at least that, and people who are active, who are prone to depression or anxiety, or women who are nursing, pregnant, or in the week leading up to their period often feel better with more than that.

Also, be sure you're eating enough. Follow the meal template for each meal: 1-2 palm-sized portions of protein, 1-2 thumb-sized portions of fat (in addition to your cooking fat most of the time, as cooking fat often stays in the pan and isn't consumed), and 1-3 cups of vegetables (aim for three at most meals, and if you have raw leafy greens as your vegetable, even more than that, as they don't seem to keep people as satisfied as the more dense vegetables do). Have some fruit occasionally with meals. Don't forget your pre- and post-workout meals, which are in addition to your regular meals. I mention this because people, sometimes unconsciously, limit their serving sizes when they're trying to lose weight, and Whole30 is more about providing your body with plenty of healthy, nutrient dense foods so that it can operate at its very best.

It's not unusual for someone not to see major progress at only day 20, especially someone who has underlying medical conditions. I know during my first Whole30, I didn't feel like I was losing weight until the very last few days. Other things, like stress levels and sleep, also make a huge difference, and I'm going to guess you may not be getting eight hours of sleep every night with a little one, and in addition to whatever normal stress you have in your life, you're adding to your stress worrying about if this is working or what you need to do to make it work. Try to relax. Whatever you decide to do -- a regular Whole30, an AIP Whole30, low-FODMAP, whatever -- you really need to give it at least 30 days before you decide whether it's working or not. 

Could you list a couple of days' worth of food, including approximate portion sizes, as well as water intake and exercise? I'd hate for you to keep cutting out more stuff if there's something else that might help. 

Off the top of my head, I'd ask are you eating at least one fist-sized serving of starchy vegetables each day? Most people feel best with at least that, and people who are active, who are prone to depression or anxiety, or women who are nursing, pregnant, or in the week leading up to their period often feel better with more than that.

Also, be sure you're eating enough. Follow the meal template for each meal: 1-2 palm-sized portions of protein, 1-2 thumb-sized portions of fat (in addition to your cooking fat most of the time, as cooking fat often stays in the pan and isn't consumed), and 1-3 cups of vegetables (aim for three at most meals, and if you have raw leafy greens as your vegetable, even more than that, as they don't seem to keep people as satisfied as the more dense vegetables do). Have some fruit occasionally with meals. Don't forget your pre- and post-workout meals, which are in addition to your regular meals. I mention this because people, sometimes unconsciously, limit their serving sizes when they're trying to lose weight, and Whole30 is more about providing your body with plenty of healthy, nutrient dense foods so that it can operate at its very best.

It's not unusual for someone not to see major progress at only day 20, especially someone who has underlying medical conditions. I know during my first Whole30, I didn't feel like I was losing weight until the very last few days. Other things, like stress levels and sleep, also make a huge difference, and I'm going to guess you may not be getting eight hours of sleep every night with a little one, and in addition to whatever normal stress you have in your life, you're adding to your stress worrying about if this is working or what you need to do to make it work. Try to relax. Whatever you decide to do -- a regular Whole30, an AIP Whole30, low-FODMAP, whatever -- you really need to give it at least 30 days before you decide whether it's working or not. 

Thank you Loulabelle and Shannon for replying.

My meals the last three days have been:

B1: Whole30 chicken stifry with spinach and avocado and bone broth

B2:Grilled chicken with spianch and avocado + bone broth

B3: 3 chicken patties+spinach+avocado+bone broth

L1: 2 salmon fishcakes+cauliflower rice+kale+sweet potato+banana

L2: baked cod+brussel sprouts+sweet potato+some grapes

L3: roast chicken+cauliflower rice+spinach

D1: Roast chicken+brocolli+butternut squash+sweet potato

D2: stir fry consisting og chicken, caulilfower + spinach

D3: 2 chicken sausage (whole30 recipe)+bak choy+sweet potato+some grapes

As sweet potato is not low FODMAP, I will be replacing it with swede. I will trying incorprating low FODMAP fruits like blueberries.

Thank you Loulabelle and Shannon for replying.

My meals the last three days have been:

B1: Whole30 chicken stifry with spinach and avocado and bone broth

B2:Grilled chicken with spianch and avocado + bone broth

B3: 3 chicken patties+spinach+avocado+bone broth

L1: 2 salmon fishcakes+cauliflower rice+kale+sweet potato+banana

L2: baked cod+brussel sprouts+sweet potato+some grapes

L3: roast chicken+cauliflower rice+spinach

D1: Roast chicken+brocolli+butternut squash+sweet potato

D2: stir fry consisting og chicken, caulilfower + spinach

D3: 2 chicken sausage (whole30 recipe)+bak choy+sweet potato+some grapes

As sweet potato is not low FODMAP, I will be replacing it with swede. I will trying incorprating low FODMAP fruits like blueberries.

I'd just add to Shannon's advice that avocado is another one you may need to avoid if you do think FODMAPs are the issue. Take a look at this great link on FODMAPs which may better help pinpoint if these truly are an issue for you - it may well be that only one of the three offending groups (if any) is problematic. This may also be helpful for you once you get to a point where you are wanting to reintroduce foods too, as there are many foods listed that you are already eliminating.

Other than that I see a lot of cruciferous veg - cauliflower, broccoli & sprouts.

Often many foods can be tolerated in small amounts but when we start to over load our systems with them that's when the problems start so you might find that if you can find the culprit you won't have to eliminate it totally - but you can play around with some food trials once you get yourself to a good place.

Are you including any pre/postWO meals on the days that you train?

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks jmcbn. I have downloaded the link and am off avocados as of today. I think you may be right re cruciferous veg, and this is the exact reason I decided to go low FODMAP.

I don't do pre WO meals but will start doing that.

Make sure you are adding fat to every meal, that is where you will get more energy. Do not include the fat you cook in, as most of it gets cooked away. It looks like your lunch & dinner do not include any added fat and once you take avocados away, you will need to replace with another fat. Try to avoid too many nuts. A postWO snack (lean protein + starchy carb) immediately after your workout will be very important to you as well, I don't think the preWO snack (protein + fat) is as crucial unless you feel you need it.

Remember the changes you make may take a while make you feel better.

Archived