Pureed veggie soups

Stephany

I'm going to be making bone broth from the whole chicken we're crockpotting tomorrow and thought it might be a good time to make some soups with it.  I'm wondering, are pureed vegetable soups (like a smooth butternut squash soup, without cream or anything, obviously) a good way to go for the vegetable portion with a meal? Or is pureeing vegetables sort of the same idea as fruit smoothies, in that it breaks down the fiber too much and you don't chew it, so it's not that nutritionally optimal?

Pureed soups are good way to get extra veggies in.  However I will still conclude that is not as satiating as eating whole cooked veggies.  Personally I will consume soup very often along with a salad.  As neither one stands well on it's own for satiating factors.

Thanks for both of your replies!  Salad in addition to soup sounds like it would be more filling... and I also like the idea of coconut milk blended in.  I bet that would taste really good with butternut and some nutmeg and cinnamon... Getting into those great spiced Fall flavors!  Another option I just thought of was to put a dollop of homemade mayo on top with a sprinkling of chives or leeks.  

I like to do purees with chunks. After you've pureed your soup you can add something else that you've cooked separately like potato, tomato, meat, etc. Or you could spoon out some of the chunked vegetables before you puree, and then add them back in.

When I make cauliflower soup I add potatoes and bacon after I've pureed the cauliflower and leeks up in the broth. Makes for a super creamy soup, that's a lot more interesting texturally than just puree.

Archived