Day 22 - Crying constantly and short tempered!?!

kellbell614

I am on Day 22.  I have been eating to template.  Lots of veggies, some protein, and some healthy fat.  I have been drinking all the water, as I was used to doing that before anyhow.  I have had a few NSV's -- falling asleep faster, waking up more easily, and my skin in fairly clear.  I dont have as much bloating, and am fairly sure I have lost a few pounds, despite not weighing.

However, I have noticed the past few days that  I have a very short temper.  I have snapped at my co-worker and my boss today alone.  They were very much deserved, so I can decide if I truly have a temper issue or if I am maybe just gaining confidence and finally standing up for myself as I am usually a pushover.  Is it normal to have a shorter fuse this far in the game.

Also, everything, and I do mean everything is making me cry!  Salad dressing tastes a little different - tears.  I hit a red light - water works.  I am crying non-stop it seems like, over things that shouldn't be that big of a deal?

And, its not PMS I am sure, so I am just going crazy?  Or, is this normal and it will pass in a couple of days?

What gives?

• Administrators

Unless you are an extremely petite person, a small red potato is not fist sized.  And do note that we suggest "starting" with one fist sized serving.  More if you are upset, anxious, depressed, moody, emotional.  More if you are nearing or having your period.  More if you exercise regularly. More if you are nursing or pregnant.  Experiment.  

Hi.  My 2 cents:  remember that when we change our diet, our hormones need to normalize, too.  So, even if it's not PMS, your body is still sensitive to the chemicals racing around in it.  I'd give it another week or so and see how you feel.   :-)

Hey, I had the same experience and these two things helped me:

1. More starchy veg, as GFChris and others have said

2. Red meat (I ate a good piece of simple seared ribeye, and a ground beef burger another time). Is it possible you are not having enough fat and really not feeling satisfied with your meals? It took me until around week 2 to realize that I was not putting enough fat in my meals.

I definitely think hormones and stress could be playing a part, especially if you are like me and would reach for sugars / grains to deal with the physical signs of stress.  When I didn't give my body what it expected - the pepperoni pizza, the Doritos, the Phish Food ice cream - I got very emotional and short-tempered.  I'm on day 31 and do feel a lot better. 

Archived