Meatball recipe in the Whole30 book - falling apart

dgthorsen

Tried to make the chicken meatballs in the Whole30 book tonight. Total disaster. I made them exactly as specified. Did not add the optional almond flour, etc. They were a wet, sloppy mess that totally fell apart in the skillet. Ugh. I hate when you follow a recipe and it does not come out as planned. No time on this plan to be remaking meals. Has anyone else made these? Any hints?

Add the almond flour! You can still use it even if they fell apart. Just add some veggies and make a stir fry. I've made these a few times and liked them. I made sure my chicken didn't have extra water added. Read the label for they do that. If they do, I kind of squeeze some out before I put it in the mixing bowl.

Tried to make the chicken meatballs in the Whole30 book tonight. Total disaster. I made them exactly as specified. Did not add the optional almond flour, etc. They were a wet, sloppy mess that totally fell apart in the skillet. Ugh. I hate when you follow a recipe and it does not come out as planned. No time on this plan to be remaking meals. Has anyone else made these? Any hints?

I always add the almond flour (I grind my almonds very fine as needed) and I used ground turkey and they come out great and you DO NOT TASTE THE ALMONDS.

Yes, I hate it when I follow a recipe and it's a disappointment. Very frustrating and time consuming.

I haven't made the meatballs from the Whole 30 book, so this may not be especially helpful, but...

I make a lot of meatballs, using the method from Well Fed2, by Mel Joulwan. No added almond flour or egg as a binder, and they come out great every time. I bake them and freeze them, then heat and serve. Or eat cold with my lunch at work.

There are several variations in the book (and on her website, I believe), and I make some every week; we never tire of them, so I haven't given much thought to other recipes.

• 2 months later...

I made a version of these last night, but without the egg, chopped onion (I used onion powder), or almond flour. They were so sticky when I shaped them into meatballs that I decided it was best to skip the pan-frying part and just put them right on the baking sheet and into the oven. I turned them once halfway through cooking and they turned out great like this.

Archived