Can Whole30 actually make you more susceptible to colds?

i080581

Hi, All

Logically, my immune system should be humming perfectly on Whole30 (Day 18 now).  But both my teenager and I caught a wicked bug that's been going around.  I'm confused because I haven't been sick in about 5 years (been Primal for 4).  As soon as I start Whole30 I get wholloped - what's going on?  Bad luck?  Super bad bug strain?  Or does my immune system take a dip during Whole30 before it gets better (just like the rest of the body needs to adjust to the new diet)?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Amy

My guess is that this could have been working on you for a few days and as such you wouldn't have been so far into your Whole30 to say that your immune system would be 'healed'..... and often any pre-existing issues get worse before they get better...

Nothing about eating whole foods would make you more susceptible to catching colds, so I'm gonna say it's just bad luck I'm afraid.

Try sipping on bone broth, and sticking to bland, comforting foods like scrambled eggs, chicken soup. blended vegetable soup & mashed root veg until you're feeling better.

Happy healing!

I hear you!

I haven't gotten sick in 3 years (since my first whole 30) and finally I got wholloped with a cold early last week.  And it's still hanging around!  Prior to a whole 30 - I would get at least 3 colds a year. (change of seasons).

Now I will say that I somehow it still didn't hit me as bad as some colds had in the past - but it's definitely a lingering and a pretty aggressive bug. 

I second jmcbn - bone broth, teas, anything with ginger, mashed veggies, pureed soups..... Rest when you can.  Steaming hot showers (or baths)

• Administrators

Your immune system will sometimes allow a cold/flu in during the first few days of Whole30 as your body is busy assigning resources to other healing and rebalancing which can leave the door open to nasty little bugs.  It can cause the illness to be more intense and last longer also for the same reason.

Here's an article with some tips on surviving a cold during Whole30.  The Tom Kha Gai soup from Food Renegade linked in the comments is delightful!

Thanks, everyone!  I'm thinking ladyshanny is on to something - if my body is working on healing itself, there could be a "breach in its defenses" - though I didn't get the cold till day 15.  I sometimes get really tired after eating a meal, so I think I'm not completely acclimated to eating clean yet.

Been chicken souping it for a while - tired of making it, actually, because my girl had the cold before me! ;-)  Stinks being the mom, because if I need healthy food, I need to cook it! ;-D

I'm all about the comfort food now:  tonight it porktastic meatloaf (thanks, Michele Tam at NomNomPaleo!) and mashed potatoes.  Resting as much as I can - my youngest got felled by the cold today (she's 12), but not as bad thank goodness!

Amy

I hear you!

I haven't gotten sick in 3 years (since my first whole 30) and finally I got wholloped with a cold early last week.  And it's still hanging around!  Prior to a whole 30 - I would get at least 3 colds a year. (change of seasons).

Now I will say that I somehow it still didn't hit me as bad as some colds had in the past - but it's definitely a lingering and a pretty aggressive bug. 

I second jmcbn - bone broth, teas, anything with ginger, mashed veggies, pureed soups..... Rest when you can.  Steaming hot showers (or baths)

Have you ever considered you might be dealing with seasonal allergies? I'm allergic to grass and weeds and it has been wicked this year. The doc said this is one of the worst years for ragweed.

Have you ever considered you might be dealing with seasonal allergies? I'm allergic to grass and weeds and it has been wicked this year. The doc said this is one of the worst years for ragweed.

Definitely a cold - sore scratchy throat, aching joints and muscles, super dry hacking cough. Right now I'm in the moving stage - ie: "everything" is coming out.  I am relieved but darn it IS annoying to blow your nose 50 times a day.  SO brought the cold home - he got it first.  I got it next.

I did previously have a chronic stuffed nose (never bad - just kind of there) so I know that was allergies.

Ugh, I'm with you all.  I decided to start another Whole30 several weeks out from a 1/2 marathon I'm training for.  I think between the stress on my body of ramping up miles and then starting a W30, I got a wallop and a clear message from my body saying, "hey!  You're killin' us all already!"  My cold started at about Day 8 the day after a 10 mile run, and its still hanging out after 5 days.  Dang it.  I'm trying not to freak out about it messing with my training plans!  But, I'm downing bone broth, tea, tons of fluids, lots of veggies and sticking with the Whole30 plan -- and not running at all right now.

• 9 months later...

Well, I got a cold at day 7, and in large part, I know it was due to dealing with an extremely stressful situation.  The situation is still here and I am dealing with it to the best of my ability.  When I am about to get a cold, it starts with a searing sore throat that is unbearable.  So, I took some Cold Calm and 3 lozenges which of course, had some sugar,  comfort was more important to me than following the diet.  So I guess that completely throws me off the W30?  I am about ready to give in and start over again at a later date.  Any thoughts?

I'm on my third bout of allergies/sore throat/cold-like symptoms since starting my W30. I hope this stops soon, but zzzOMG, broth, broth, and more broth. It was a lifesaver this weekend and helped me get out of bed to go spend hours in the sun supporting a good cause.

• Administrators

Well, I got a cold at day 7, and in large part, I know it was due to dealing with an extremely stressful situation.  The situation is still here and I am dealing with it to the best of my ability.  When I am about to get a cold, it starts with a searing sore throat that is unbearable.  So, I took some Cold Calm and 3 lozenges which of course, had some sugar,  comfort was more important to me than following the diet.  So I guess that completely throws me off the W30?  I am about ready to give in and start over again at a later date.  Any thoughts?

Why are you "about ready to give in and start over"? What, about eating off plan foods, is going to help whatever your current stressful situation is? 

I think it would just be easier to deal w/things without having to worry about every little thing I eat.  I just want EASE in my life!  The only thing I would eat that's off plan is honey w/my coffee in the morning.

But I guess you're right!

Oralia

• 8 months later...
On 10/1/2015 at 8:02 AM, ladyshanny said:

Your immune system will sometimes allow a cold/flu in during the first few days of Whole30 as your body is busy assigning resources to other healing and rebalancing which can leave the door open to nasty little bugs.  It can cause the illness to be more intense and last longer also for the same reason.

Here's an article with some tips on surviving a cold during Whole30.  The Tom Kha Gai soup from Food Renegade linked in the comments is delightful!

I was glad to come across your comments because i started Whole 30 9 days ago and on day 5 came down with a really nasty cold. Since I haven't had a cold for close to 15 years I was wondering if there was a connection or if it was just a coincidence.

Archived