On Day 3 + Getting married in 37 days (Friend advised me to go low carb-- advice needed!)

meleatsclean

Hi guys,

I recently started my second round of Whole30, and am now on Day 3. I am going to get married on Day 37, and I would like to get a little leaner in these last 37 days for my big day (so that I can look nice in my wedding dress haha).

I train 5x a week (mostly strength training/ circuit training with weights), along with 1 or 2 sessions of 35 minute walks. I am around 47 kg and 1.58m, so my BMI is roughly 18 (if that helps).

A friend of mine who's a personal trainer advised me to not eat any more than 3-4 tablespoons of carbs per meal in this last month before my wedding, if I'm planning to "cut". This made me a little alarmed, as starchy carbs like sweet potatoes/ yams/ pumpkin practically make up a staple of our daily meals, and watching calories has never been my concern.

Should I be cutting down on my carbs to get leaner, or stick to the meal template?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks guys!

Should I be cutting down on my carbs to get leaner, or stick to the meal template?

short answer: no, don't cut carbs further; yes, stick to the meal template.

Cutting out all carbohydrates can have severe consequences for women, including mood issues, loss of menstruation, hair loss, acne, you name it. The whole30 is naturally lower in carbs than the standard american diet, and that is good and healthy. don't worry about going to an extreme here.

ps. although I do get the impulse to be the best you can be on your wedding day please know that you are already pretty enough and skinny enough and good enough if the wedding were to happen tomorrow (and i would say this even if you were not currently sitting on the low end of a healthy weight for your height, which you are). Work on making healthy choices and feeling good and enjoying this special time in your life instead.

• Moderators

Hi guys,

(so that I can look nice in my wedding dress haha).

A friend of mine who's a personal trainer advised me to not eat any more than 3-4 tablespoons of carbs per meal in this last month before my wedding, if I'm planning to "cut". .

Should I be cutting down on my carbs to get leaner?

In my not so humble opinion, I believe you should eat and exercise up to your wedding exactly the same way that you plan to go forward from your wedding.  Of course it's nice to feel good in your dress, but wouldn't it be nicer, in a time of higher stress to actually feel good?  Not fatigued and insane from 'cutting'?

Your partner loves you wholeheartedly now and will not love you more if you 'cut' before your wedding. But YOU will feel better if you eat to a proper template, don't make yourself crazy with '3-4 tablespoons of carbs' and other calorie counting nonsense and enjoy these magical days!  Seriously... don't go into KooKooLand just because you're putting on a pretty dress for a day!  It's not worth it to feel like poop and you'll be stunning anyway!

Concentrate on the exercise instead of lowering your carb intake. Make sure you following the meal templates and add pre & postWO snacks on the days you work out. Your body will naturally come to the weight it should be. Based on your BMI, it doesn't sound like you have too much, if any, weight to lose. Exercise will help you look leaner but I don't know if your body can comfortably lose any more weight.

Hi guys,

Thank you so much for all your replies! Definitely gave me the reassurance that I need. Have been happily eating my carbs at every meal and training as usual- will just trust in the process (:

Have been eating pre and post workout meals too (I used to skip my post-WO meal and eat a larger main meal), and that has also made all the difference in my energy levels!

Archived