Zak's 9/15 Relaunch

Zak

So, this is technically my sixth day, but I've decided to start over today as yesterday I accidentally ate some lamb with a sauce that had some wheat in it. I was starving when I went to Whole Foods to grab some meat for dinner (yeah, I know shouldn't go shopping when hungry), so I bought some lamb shanks from the deli that I could munch on in the car. After getting home I notice the ingredient label included wheat (presumably in the sauce). In the grand scheme of things, I figure this isn't that big of issue, but it's a good way to reinforce the lesson to always pay attention to what I buy.

Generally things have otherwise been going well. First couple days were really rough, but I was feeling great the last two days. Today though I was jonesing hard for sugar. I was just at the point of shooting up with a straight glucose drip when I finally got home and jammed a bunch of meat, half a sweet potato, and a bit of pineapple down my gullet. I've managed to regained equilibrium now and have put the hypo away.

The suggestion of imaging eating a meal of meat or fish and veggies when fighting cravings really helps. I've noticed that it is a good technique to let me know if I'm really hungry or just craving something (usually something that is prohibited). Then if realize I'm not actually hungry, the craving often subsides.

Alright, enough of this for now. Time for some sprints then putting together dinner (portabella mushrooms filled with pureed-tomato suace, zucchini, ground beef, and ground feral swine.

great job! jonesing for sugar is so rough, isn't it?!! but when I'm able to do as you did and when I eventually make it through the day, I am so grateful that this thing works! I'm holding on to the idea that it really does get easier once my brain catches up with what I'm trying to do with my body.

keep up the good work!

maggie

Thanks Maggie and Nancy for the encouragement. Yes, I really do hope my brain catches up with my will. Nancy - yes, the log definitely is a good tool to remember what we eat. Although, for me I think I get more out of using it to rant.

Last night was super rough. I was on the verge of completely losing it when I found myself in the bathroom screaming, "F you sugar, I'm stronger than you!" After assuring my wife that I had not gone completely schizo (although, I think I did), I left the sugar demon sulking in the freezer and I went to bed victorious (although still wanting a cookie).

Today has been much better so far. My energy levels are up and the sugar demon seems to be sleeping for the moment. Although I am a bit... short tempered. Giving the family a wide berth today, lest they invoke my wholly justified wrath (I mean, breathing loudly is a completely rational reason to yell at someone, right?).

Eggs, ground sausage (from pastured swine of course), a tomato, and some simmered kale, mushrooms, and onion for breakfast. Off to figure out what to do for lunch.

Yep - Hard core addict. Although I refuse to take the 12-step cop out - I'm not a victim. It's not a disease and I am strong enough to conquer it.

So, had portobella mushrooms topped with tomato paste, ground beef, and ground feral pig and a little hot sauce for dinner. Sort of pizza-like concoction. Add some sliced bell pepper and bok choi cooked in ghee then drizzled in olive oil and sea salt and it turned out pretty good.

Another day in the can. Sugar cravings staying manageable (although I'm fearing that day 15 or 21 return of them). Actually had a bread craving today, but that was just because the ground beef and pork simmered in tomato sauce with kale, zucchini, mushrooms, onion, and garlic (and some curry powder and turmeric) would have gone so well with some crunchy crusted french bread (but my high energy levels and happy gut go even better).

Speaking of high energy levels, the moderate depression I've dealt with for large chunks of my life has been largely absent the last few days. If nothing else comes out of this, actually feeling reasonably happy (or at least not depressed for no reason) will make it worth continuing to eat like this.

In other news, I just noticed in my previous post I wrote "ass some" as opposed to "add some." (now corrected) I'm not sure what my subconscious was trying to tell me there...

Speaking of high energy levels, the moderate depression I've dealt with for large chunks of my life has been largely absent the last few days. If nothing else comes out of this, actually feeling reasonably happy (or at least not depressed for no reason) will make it worth continuing to eat like this.

Me too! I suppose I had malaise, I would just sit around the whole morning while the kids were at school....now I'm full of energy and it's go go go :)

Archived