So frustrated

kcpenney

So I wasn't really sure where to post this and I don't really have any friends that I can talk to.

I have done the Whole30 once. It was so hard but it was the first time in my life I didn't quit something. 

In October of 2014 I went for my annual checkup and was expressing my frustration to my Dr about my weight. In January, I started at a Boot camp place, that just happen to open across the street from my house. I was so excited. I had big plans to lose 50lbs by my birthday in November. I was going 3-4 times a week until I hurt my back. That took about 6 weeks to heal but I continued to workout and just adjusted the workouts. In May I did my Whole30 and lost about 11 lbs. I was happy with that but didn't really stick with it after my 30 days. I had every intention of doing so but it was a downward spiral. 

In June I started running 3 miles with a friend on the days I didn't do my bootcamp. So 3 days a week I was at boot camp and 2 days I did 3 miles. 

In August I sprained my ankle and I am just now getting back to my normal schedule. 

Well today I went back for my annual check up and I have lost ONE friggin pound.....in NINE months. 

I feel like the last 9 months have been a total waste and I am having a very serious pity party for myself. 

I have been talking about doing the whole30 again for about 3 weeks and just haven't jumped into it yet.

I could really use some encouragement. Has anyone struggled like this?? And how did you get through it???

Thanks!!!!

• Moderators

These last nine months were not wasted. You learned some stuff, you ate some healthy food, you did some healthy exercise. Not a waste. Now, apply what you've learned. Take it one day or even one meal at a time. If you can't seem to commit to 30 days, commit to one meal. Tell yourself, This meal, I will eat Whole30 foods, lots of vegetables, protein, and healthy fat. Next meal, if I want nothing but twinkies and ice cream, that's fine, but this meal will be Whole30. At each meal, do that. And if you have a meal where you do just have twinkies and ice cream, it's okay. Doesn't make you a bad person, or weak, or any of those things we tell ourselves when we're less than perfect, it just means you're human, and twinkies and ice cream are formulated to be tasty stuff. (Also, I'm guessing even at your worst, you probably don't really have twinkies and ice cream for a meal, right? so you're not really doing as bad as you could be.) So if you have a meal that's not perfect, that's okay. At the next meal, go back to Whole30 eating. If you can just manage to string together six or nine or twelve Whole30 meals, it'll be easier and easier to keep going. At this point, a Whole30 would be great, but it's more important long-term to figure out what Wholekcpenney would look like.

I'd also encourage you to read this article on rest vs. recovery, and probably some more athletic people than myself can weigh in on this if you want more guidance, but if you have a history of going all out with exercise till you injure yourself, that's probably not the optimal way to do it (and maybe you don't, maybe I'm reading into what you've written something that isn't there). Exercise is good -- I should do more of it than I do -- but at some point, more is not better. I don't know what that point is for you, but keep it in mind going forward.

Thanks Shannon. 

My first injury in January was from slipping on the ice. And I sprained my ankle at a 5k that was all inflatable. LOL....Yes I jumped off one and landed on my ankle. 

Thank you for your encouragement. Starting with one meal at a time is a great idea. I just need something to focus on. I find if I dont focus on my food, I just eat whatever I want, whenever I want. And no.....twinkies are NEVER apart of my diet.....ever!!! yuck. HAHAHA!!!! But popcorn and chocolate are my downfalls. 

I am going to take this weekend and really evaluate my eating and see what I can commit to do. 

As much as I use the scale as a measurement of success( when not doing a true W30, folks), please realize it probably is the least accurate in determining health.  I have had several stops and starts over the last 2 years with the w30 and most of the time, I do exactly what Shannon says-One meal at a time. Dont even look at the calender for 30 days-way too much pressure. But you can do 1 meal, today. Then re-assess the next day.

I wish you luck!

I'm frustrated too! I did a W30 in October 2013 and did not lose an ounce! It was the first time I had ever stuck to anything that required so much self discipline. I was so proud of myself and I felt fantastic, but bc I didn't lose any weight I got discouraged. I thought the last 30 days had been a waste and went on a binge. I gained 20 lbs over a 3 month period.

Fast forward to July 2015. I decided I was going to do another W30 and I was not going to concentrate on weight loss. I decided I was doing it for the energy, steady mood and the overall amazing way it made me feel. I completed 45 days and then it was my birthday.... I decided to step on that damn scale and again, I hadn't lost 1 stinking' ounce!! I felt fabulous but I was disappointed. I was actually able to fit into some smaller sized jeans, but still dissapointed??

I have been trying so desperately to get back to my original weight. I'd just be happy to be the weight I was during my first W30! I've been concentrating so hard on losing weight that I can't even appreciate all the other benefits of W30. I keep thinking maybe I'm doing something wrong, maybe I'm eating too much so I keep trying different diets and calorie/macro counting. I keep coming back to W30 though bc it just makes sense and I hate counting my food!

Anyway, KC, I feel for ya. I'm frustrated too. Maybe if we forget that we have weight to lose and just try being healthy things will fall into place??

I hadn't lost 1 stinking' ounce!! I felt fabulous but I was disappointed. I was actually able to fit into some smaller sized jeans, but still dissapointed??

Sounds like your body composition is improving. Have you seen this article?  

There could be things other than food at play here for you.  Have you tried working with a functional medicine practitioner?

Sounds like your body composition is improving. Have you seen this article?

There could be things other than food at play here for you. Have you tried working with a functional medicine practitioner?

Wow! Great article! She was eating over 3000 calories a day! Thanks for sharing that. It is eye opening! Makes me feel like I am doing right. Maybe I just need to give it more time.

I've had a full blood panel done and everything appears normal. I got a copy and checked my levels myself. I will check into functional medicine, but I believe it's all food here. I have a horrible relationship with food. I obsess over it. W30 definitely helps, but when my 30 days are up it's like it all goes out the window and I'm right back where I started.

I truly believe if I could complete a Whole 60 I would really see what I want in the mirror or at least headed in that direction. I need to change my way of thinking and my relationship with food.

Archived