Completed my first Whole30!!! WOO HOOOO!

slmeredith

And I say first because I know I'll do it again!

I kept a journal through the first few weeks, noting what food I ate and how I felt. I had several friends who had done it and were great resources for meal ideas and where to shop. 

My story, written Sept 1, 2015, my first day on Whole30:
In 2002 I started noticing pain when I slept. I also stated noticing my feet swelling on occasion when I drank a glass of wine. I chalked it up to my mattress - too firm. I was 20lbs overweight - probably the weight I am now. I couldn’t lay on that side. No other real pain. A few years later, much heavier, I started noticing pain when I walked, when I sat. Often. I figured it was my weight and so I went on a national plan and lost 55lbs. I was lean and felt it. Although the pain was still there - like a radiating pain down my legs. Two pregnancies, many pounds gained and lost and 12 years later…

After lots of gut issues, bloating, pain, etc. I eliminated gluten from my diet. The swelling went completely away but the rest of it remained. I had tried eliminating a lot of things but never as thorough as Whole30. I saw many doctors, had many tests and was prescribed medication that I didn't fill.  I’m praying that God can use this to show me what I need, what I don’t, what makes me feel good, what I need to stay away from and how to be content - a running theme in my life it seems.I was officially diagnosed with IBS, Fibromyalgia and Chronic Bursitis and knew I had to figure out a way to beat this without pills. 

Fast forward 32 days and here I am 2 days post Whole30 with a completely new perspective on food.
Week 1 I started noticing less pain, better sleep no cravings and constant hunger. I had the typical haze of not eating sugar.
Week 2 almost all pain was gone, no digestive issues at all, sleeping great and waking up feeling rested.
Week 3 my energy returned and 7 hours was enough, I'd wake up feeling great, no tummy problems at all and no pain. I could sleep on my sides for the first time in 13 years!
Week 4 I noticed clothes fitting differently, others started noticing a "glow" and I felt so much better!

I can truly say Whole30 has greatly improved my life! After 2 days of reintroduction I know that dairy is a problem food. I'll be strict Whole30 for the next few days as I get my tummy back in check.

Thank you Dallas and Melissa! I have shared throughout the 30 days on IG and FB and have had some friends join in. I have loved cooking and buying fresh foods and feeling good. I loved not counting calories. I have had so many non-scale victories! And my scale victory... 12.2lbs. I hope to make Whole30 a lifestyle because it makes me feel so much better!

Stacey Meredith
Memphis, TN
Whole30 Graduate!

Wow! Stacey, GREAT JOB!! Your story is very inspiring and motivating. Congratulations on your victories. It sounds like  you've accomplished an incredible amount in just 30 days. You've given me a lot of hope that this will actually work, so thank you for sharing how much your life has improved! Well done, You!

• 3 weeks later...

Your story is very encouraging, Stacey. I'm doing a whole30 right now hoping it will help alleviate fibromyalgia symptoms. I haven't noticed any change yet, but am going to stick it out. Besides dairy, did you notice any other foods that caused a flare up of symptoms? I've been eating more nuts than recommended...eating a porridge made from nuts some mornings when I can't tolerate the idea of eggs. Other than that, I think I've been "pretty good," but my pain, fatigue, and insomnia have not lessened.

Hi Jwsett! Try eating last night's supper, leftover meat, blended soups, sausage, or some kind of veg/egg/sausage casserole when you can't tolerate eggs. I used to eat that nutty "porridge" thing too..... it didn't help anything, unfortunately. I know what you are saying about the eggs, but try, try, try to embrace the program as recommended. You'll get better (& faster) results. You can't do "mostly" and get full results.

I know you can do it! :) You are worth it.

Archived