Re-Introing and staying as clean as possible, Whole 30 ending 9/23/15

Chef Mike

Here's the thread for all my Whole30 buds from Starting 8/24/15, who are in the process of re-introing and trying to stay as clean as possible before their next round of Whole 30. Cvanfarowe, I think I got it all in there.

Chef Mike

I have not had any GI issues for a couple of weeks now. Got my water tested for lead - it came back under the detect limit. Still working on what in my diet causes it. Other then one small yogurt, I have been dairy free (cept for a small amount of butter) for over a month now. 

I did make a HUGE pot of Borscht and have a moments panic. :D

Hey gang! Missed everyone. Wow, isn't reintro soooo educational? I'm proud of how my son and I are doing. Here's what we have learned thus far.

Me:

1. Gluten puts me to sleepIMMEDIATELY.

2. Dairy made me congested.

3. Nitrates /cured bacon gave me diarrhea.

For me, gluten and cured meats are out. Dairy limited.

My son:

1. Will reintro peanuts another time to recheck the stomach pain.

2. Gluten -fine

3. Dairy - heeellll no. Sorry. Can i say that? Besides his previous digestive issues the other reason i started him on w30 was explosive behavior. Holy moly guys, you should have seen him on dairy day.

So this has been so wonderful. I will stay very close to w30 all the time. I do really enjoy just having the choice back. Also my 15 year old has started. On day 4 and doing great. Already noticing nsv.

Thanks for starting thread Chef.

Hi all: just back from a week in London. Gotta say that despite all my pre-vacation intentions, I was anything but clean! Really hard to do there and really hard when you don't have your own kitchen, etc. That said, the good news for me is that I can get right back on the straight and narrow. I don't find any specific food groups that bother me so my incentive is to reduce preservatives/chemicals and eat healthy food that makes me feel more energized (not to say that delicious chocolates and scones don't energize me but...)

Hope you all are well and I look forward to your support as I get back into the swing of things again.

Happy Sunday everyone!

Thanks for starting this ChefMike!!!!  You're awesome!!!!

Reintro is SOOOO informative!  I am finally feeling better after my gluten reintro disaster.  I can handle it in small doses I think, but overall it will not be a regular item in my diet.  I feel so much better eating clean!

I made the Shepherd's Pie recipe from the W30 book yesterday and it was DEEEELISH!

Today I made a pot of spicy chicken & vegetable soup.  I have my lunches for the week ready to go and some dinner's too.  Next I am going to hard boil a few eggs to have breakfast on the go options.  Some mornings I just don't have time to make a hot breakfast and eat before being out the door at 6:45.  Hard boiled eggs are a staple for me.

Glad to see you all again :)  Have a great rest of the day  :D

Hoping my gut remains happy tonight when we go out to dinner.....my second time since W30 (first was not a good gut experience).  Tonight is a Brazilian steakhouse celebrating our Anniversary.  Planning on sticking to meats and veggies to keep my gut happy.  If I am feeling it I may include a little dairy.....but just if I really want it.

I have not had any GI issues for a couple of weeks now. Got my water tested for lead - it came back under the detect limit. Still working on what in my diet causes it. Other then one small yogurt, I have been dairy free (cept for a small amount of butter) for over a month now. 

I did make a HUGE pot of Borscht and have a moments panic. :D

Hi Mary, just a thought, but beer, no matter how good, organic, homemade and delicious it may be, is a gluten product. GI issues are bound to crop up. I have switched to Cider and Obbession GF beer, which is really good. 

Thanks for setting this up Chef Mike!

So this is what I have discovered in the last week:

Dairy makes my nose run

Regular Bacon - upsets my stomach also lmckids!

Sugar - That has been my demon so I decided to investigate yesterday - had a biscuit with bacon ( sleepy and tired) had an upset stomach within 3 hours.  Went ahead since it was Sunday ( in case any other issues) and indulged on 2 brownies - the sugar made me so wired, then I crashed

Back to a safe a clean whole 30.  It is much easier to try to stay clean than to deal with the unknown problems.

Hi to all my fellow Aug 24 starters (and finishers!)

I'm starting a new W30 today (along with hubby) - there is a thread of "experienced" W30 folks starting on Columbus day (next Monday I think) - that I've joined.  Any of you want to come along?

I did not do well the last 2 weekends traveling - ate and drank "all the things" and feel I need more of the structured w30 to solidify my new good habits.  Am so looking forward to being clean again!

This time around I'm going to focus on water and more veggies (maybe less fruit) - and I'm ready to start exercising - I really am!  I'm going to sign hubby and I up for May 1, 2016 "Avenue of the Giants" half marathon (in redwoods near Eureka CA).  Lots of time to get ready (I need to start with walking since I've been so sedentary for so long) - even if we walk it, I will be happy, happy, happy!  Join us?!?!

Debbie

Hi Mary, just a thought, but beer, no matter how good, organic, homemade and delicious it may be, is a gluten product. GI issues are bound to crop up. I have switched to Cider and Obbession GF beer, which is really good. 

Sorry Czaja, it's Omission GF beer, bottles only and refrigerated always. If you run across any good ones in your travels please share.

Seattle is like beervanna! We have good GF beer brewed right here. For me, the GI issues seem to be uncooked cabbage. I LOVE cabbage. My go to meal is chicken, cabbage, carrots, onion, cilantro, and toasted almonds. 

On the beer front - lagers seem OK, but my BIG PNW IPA's do me in. :(

Sorry Czaja, it's Omission GF beer, bottles only and refrigerated always. If you run across any good ones in your travels please share.

My favorite GF beers are:

- Estrella Dramm Daura

- New Planet Belgian Ale

- Green's

My favotite hard ciders are:

- Bantam Wunderkind

- Stella Artois Cidre

- Downeast Original Blend

Thanks for the suggestions Chris. I have tried Downeast in Rockport, very nice. I can't find a lot of GF selections in southern New England, but I may have to start a venture in that direction since I find many people here that have gluten issues. With the high Italian lineage here it's hard to tell people that flour could be bad for you. I'm looking into a complete gluten free, free range, pastured meat, local organic veg operation so people have that option when dinning out.  There are actually a couple of high, high end place in Providence serving this type of menu. Having Johnson and Whales here makes it easy to find good help and locations abound. More to come. A gluten free brew pub/bistro would be a great option, but the interest would have to be closely surveyed to make sure the scale is appropriate. A truck might be our best option to start with. Sourcing good unique products and ingredients is key to the interest level.

Recently organic tapas has arrived in RI. I had seen this in Denver and San Francisco and the market here has been very encouraging.

Root veggies are abounding in the markets folks so get out there and experiment with these interesting high fibre high nutrition selections.

Chef Mike

It's going to be a pretty conservative vacation this year. I feel so good now that I've remained off the dairy, gluten, beans and sweeteners, I can't bring myself to go off on a tangent. It would probably ruin my week anyway. Fortunately Vermont is a land of organics, farms, pastured meat and cheese. Cheddars aged for 6 months or more. These cheeses have no traces of lactose remaining, and I find I have no issues with them so far, but I limit my exposures to small quality choices. As always, I remain open to quality possibilities when they arise. 

The adventure continues. Go Meat!

Thanks for the suggestions Chris. I have tried Downeast in Rockport, very nice. I can't find a lot of GF selections in southern New England, but I may have to start a venture in that direction since I find many people here that have gluten issues. With the high Italian lineage here it's hard to tell people that flour could be bad for you. I'm looking into a complete gluten free, free range, pastured meat, local organic veg operation so people have that option when dinning out.  There are actually a couple of high, high end place in Providence serving this type of menu. Having Johnson and Whales here makes it easy to find good help and locations abound. More to come. A gluten free brew pub/bistro would be a great option, but the interest would have to be closely surveyed to make sure the scale is appropriate. A truck might be our best option to start with. Sourcing good unique products and ingredients is key to the interest level.

Sounds great, Mike! I would visit!  ;) 

I've found most of the GF beers in Boston-area restaurants are of the Redstone (blech) ilk. Once in a while I'll find Bard's (decent) or Omission. Gigi's in York, ME has Green's. Jake's Seafood in Hull, MA has New Planet.  British Beer Company has Glutenberg (contains candy syrup: no thank you).

I was visiting Newport, RI last month. Popped into The Mooring for drinks and was pleased that they had Estrella Damm Daura: first time I've found that in a restaurant.

Hi Chris, I'm a fan of the post ferment removal process, like the one used by Omission. The taste is more genuine and less sugary than a sorghum or oat malts I've had. I don't think we will see GF bocks or IPAs, but there are definite developments in the field. We have a brewer downtown called Trinity, who regularly test their wares on the customer base. Their cider and GF lager are worth the walk. A new brewer in Westerly in southwest RI called Grey Sail is also in the development process for GF brand based on their Loose Cannon flavor. It's interesting to watch this as it develops.  

Ditto Jill!  Still feeling tired- could even be weather related.  We've gone from 40's to 70's in 4 days.  I'm guessing food/diet though.  So happy without sugar anyhow- all "bad" food I've reintroduced has not tasted as good as I thought it would either- still not sure if that is a disappointment or not.  But I'm happy to be on the right track for my health.

Mike- LOL on "go meat".  I am having the opposite reaction, as are my kids.  They are begging for non-meat foods.  Tonight for them- rice and beans.  Me- beanless chili.  "Go meat' also makes me think of that commercial- I said a beef hot link...

Ditto Jill!  Still feeling tired- could even be weather related.  We've gone from 40's to 70's in 4 days.  I'm guessing food/diet though.  So happy without sugar anyhow- all "bad" food I've reintroduced has not tasted as good as I thought it would either- still not sure if that is a disappointment or not.  But I'm happy to be on the right track for my health.

Mike- LOL on "go meat".  I am having the opposite reaction, as are my kids.  They are begging for non-meat foods.  Tonight for them- rice and beans.  Me- beanless chili.  "Go meat' also makes me think of that commercial- I said a beef hot link...

Cvan, I say "Go Meat" because I'm a BBQ affection-ado. I've never had a bad reaction from a meat product, cured or raw. I especially like dry rubbed chicken or beef left to dry a couple days and the slowly smoked (18 hours). With all the vegetable fixins of course. Paleo/Atkins really saved my bacon some years ago, so I'm a total meat convert. Global warming be damned. None of us gest out of this alive, don't you know.

Go Meat!

;)

Glad to see everyone is doing fairly well!  

Sorry I've been MIA, it seems my IT folks at work have decided to block my access to this site :(  very very upsetting!

All is going well here.....sticking to eating 99% whole 30 with just a few minor additions.  Feeling SUPER when I am eating clean!  I am trying to make this be a life change and continue as this being the norm.  

I am hoping to be able to remain clean or as clean as possible while traveling for 10 days to Nashville and DC.   It will be a challenge, but I need to continue to remind myself of how I feel eating clean and how I feel when I indulge in things that I really don't need.  Oh it's going to be a bit tough!

Keep it going my friends, you are all doing great!

LMAO!  A BBQ expert and a comedian!

So Dunie, eating W30 most of the time, does the enegy stay with you too, or do you react badly enough to the other 1% that you are out for a time?  I'm hoping my energy comes back next week after 10 days of W30 round 2 (minus coffee cream).  Definitely need the structure in my life of W30 longer if not for life to keep up my good eating habits.

Cvan, it stays with me generally.  When I have a bad reaction it tends to take it out of me for a day or so then i'm back to feeling great!  Yesterday for example I had a burger while out and it just made me super tired.  By last night I wasn't tired, but had a bit of tummy upset.  Woke up feeling pretty good this morning.   I need to keep an eye on it and be aware of what each of the additions does to me.....but overall I am going to keep W30.  

Archived