Starting October 4, 2015. Ready for this

MoreEnergyPlease

Starting on October 4. Anyone want to join me? We can support each other and share our reactions and our recipes. 

A little bit of my story:

I ate a lot this weekend. Cookie butter, sandwiches, soups, pizzas, anything I could get my hands on. I feel horrible. My stomach is in pain, I am bloated, and I also just feel shitty about myself. I'm sitting here at the computer bloated, and very uncomfortable. 

Reasons for Whole30 now:

1. My Low energy

2. Ovarian cysts (I'm interested to see if this diet helps with preventing them)

3. Dull complexion

4. Stomach aches

5. Depressed feelings

6. Weight- I want to lose weight, the weight that I have gained since I got married. 

7. Most importantly- I would love to try for a baby within a year. Right now, my body is filled with sugars, caramel lattes, salty junk food, and I want a healthy body for my baby to feed from.

I'm hoping to restart with this Whole30. I'm hoping to develop better eating habits, and to start enjoying healthier foods. 

Looking forward to this..well, kind of  ;)

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm starting today as well! I've made two previous attempts and I always quit around Day 21.....I could certainly use the support! I am determined to finish this time

I did a TON of food prep yesterday.....Well Fed's olive oil mayo, Well Fed's kick a** ketchup, roasted three large chicken breasts, made a large salad, sweet potato hash and hard boiled half a dozen eggs. Making sure that I have access to meals is the key to success for me. I made a meal plan for the next week and tonight I'm making a pumpkin chili that will be great for leftovers.

I weighed myself this morning and practically fell over. Now it's time to hide the scale until the 30 days is up! I'm looking forward to kicking my cravings, regulating my moods, better sleep and weight loss would be fantastic!

Hey, I have been thru 2 and learned a LOT about myself and that I still need more work to overcome some issues. My first go round was in spring of 2014. It turned into a whole60. Second time around was in Jan of this year, it evolved into a whole 100 and learned more about myself and how food affects me. Any way, I have gradually slid back into the mud, tho interestingly enough, the garbage I was emotionally eating was pretty high quality. Instead of feeding it with McD's Mcflurry, it was Ben & Jerry's. So, I shot for a restart on the first and did well, til M3 on the second. Then my sister had some family over for supper last night. Some one brought carrot cake. I'm happy to report, that the carrot cake tasted nasty. Everyone talked about how good it was and all I could taste was chemicals in the icing... Woke up this am feeling so bad. I am determined. My slide into the mud has brought back my psoriasis big time, as well as the candida itch, dead butt no energy, old lady aches, inflammation, etc. So, let's do this. I already know it is worth it.

Welcome!!! I really enjoyed both of your intros. Michelle- seems like you have a lot of prep food to fall back on! That's a great idea. I'm going to prep some things for the week. Cottage queen- your reaction to the cake is interesting. I'm so used to eating "chemically" food that I at this point wouldn't even notice the junk that I eat. I hope i can reset and learn to appreciate putting healthy things in my body.

Meal for today:

Paleo place for brunch, not sure what I will get. Probably fruit bowl and a crab dish. 

Then going grocery shopping and will get sweet potatoes, fruits galore, salad, chicken, and fajita vegetables. I'm going to make chicken brother later tonight.

Please share any recipes or any tips as you go along! I will do the same!  PS. I weighed myself and am excited to weigh in in 30 days. I like that we have to weight to weigh ourselves, it makes it exciting and I think it will help me focus on just eating healthy. 

Don't buy much fruit! You have to eat your meal template before fruit and there is no snacking. http://meljoulwan.com/2013/12/29/whole30-2014-week-1-meal-plan/Is a great website for cooking a few hours once a week and having food for all week and she has a simple grocery list and not too many items on it to go with it. Do take a look.

The meal template to be followed for best results is 1-2 palms of protein, 1-3 cups of veggies with being closer to 3 cups being the recommended amount, and 1-2 thumbs of fat. The fat used in cooking doesn't count because most of that stays in the pan. Have at least 1 fist of a starchy vegetable - white or sweet potato, root vegetables per day as that will help get past the sweet cravings. Be sure to get light olive oil or avocado oil, not extra virgin, to make mayo. It's super easy with an immersion blender and you'll never go back to jarred stuff once you try it.

I finished my first W30 September 30 and decided to continue on for another 30 days. I can't tell you how wonderful it is not to have to count points, calories, carbs or weigh and measure my food. I'd like to join you and I'll be happy to offer what support I can.

If you can afford it, the $15 for the Daily Newsletter if a great investment in yourself. They have tons of information and helped keep me on track and let me know what to expect. Be sure also to take a look at the Timeline http://whole30.com/2013/01/whole30-timeline/so you know what to expect, especially in the early days, as far as your feelings and body changes go.

Sorry to be so rambling but I get so excited when telling newbies about the W30. It changed my life...and I'm 74 years young on Friday.

Ditto QuilterinVA, the limit the fruit purchasing. Sweet potatoes, winter squash, rutabaga(sp.) etc.are good tho as said ^^^^.  and ditto follow the template. It's better to err on the more side than the less side of the template. If you find yourself getting hungry between meals, increase your protein &/or the fat, I love the daily emails. got it the first go round, saved them and go back to them often. Also, read, read, read. esp the whole 30 blogs. The books are also good to read. I did invest in them, but you might be able to find them at the library if you can't afford them. Kindle versions are less $. One of mine is Kindle, the other I got in when it first came out. Planning is really important too. Then the unexpected's don't derail you. M1 for me was two eggs fried in coconut oil, 1/2 cup of fermented salsa a whole avocado, and tomato. M2 is salad of mixed greens, radish cucumber, tomatoe, some pecans, tuna, olive oil/balsamic vinegar.

Day 1 went well. I laughed when I read the "what to expect" timeline. I guess it's normal on the first day to think "Ok, this is okay." 

I noticed I ate way less than usual.

1. Brunch: one egg, two turkey sausage patties, fruit bowl

2. Dinner: scallops, salad, avocado, mango

Your dinner looks good but this is nowhere near enough food.

Don't let the fruit push those veggies off of your plate at any meal - most especially breakfast.

Aim for three meals each day, each about 4-5hrs apart.

What we eat can have a cumulative effect on our bodies and if you continue to eat so little in a few days you'll really start to struggle....

Fruit at breakfast can set you up for sugar cravings later in the day. You are not eating enough and you MUST have veggies with breakfast. Even if you don't feel hungry you need to fix the meal, eat as much as you can and then put it away and try eating more of it later. You will get used to eating 3 meals a day that way. The meal template has no fruit in it. Eat according to the template before any fruit. Unless you added a lot of substantial veggies to your salad, such as tomatoes, cucumber, radishes, carrots, you won't get enough veggies from just lettuces.

There is no tweaking the Whole30 or you can't say you are doing one.

Fruit at breakfast can set you up for sugar cravings later in the day. You are not eating enough and you MUST have veggies with breakfast. Even if you don't feel hungry you need to fix the meal, eat as much as you can and then put it away and try eating more of it later. You will get used to eating 3 meals a day that way. The meal template has no fruit in it. Eat according to the template before any fruit. Unless you added a lot of substantial veggies to your salad, such as tomatoes, cucumber, radishes, carrots, you won't get enough veggies from just lettuces.

There is no tweaking the Whole30 or you can't say you are doing one.

Yes, fruit at breakfast can set you up for a crash later in the day.

The meal template, however, is a recommendation for optimum results only, not a rule, and provided that MoreEnergyPlease has not eaten any off plan items then this is still a valid Whole30.

Looks like we are both on the same schedule, MoreEnergyPlease! I just posted why I started in this forum as well. 

Day 2 today and I'm managing okay. Did a lot of prep yesterday of just food basics. I don't have a huge time for recipes but need the basics to easily grab and have on hand. And I stocked my fridge at work so I am ready to go!

Hi all!  Hoping I can join you.  I started today, Monday, October 4th.  Bound and determined to do this!!  I did a 21 day detox about a year and a half ago which was very similar and did very well so I'm not quite a newbie.  Looking forward to getting support, feedback, and recipe ideas.  Really want to try my hand at homemade mayo. Made the whole 30 chicken cacciatore recipe yesterday and it was delish.  Brought the leftovers to work for lunch for the next 3 days.  Also made some egg "quiches" in muffin tins with roasted veggies and eggs.....so I'm set for lunches and breakfast.  Will probably have a big salad with chicken for dinner.  I have an awesome mustard vinaigrette recipe that my Nana used to make that is totally whole 30 compliant and nostalgic.

Need to shed about 25 lbs and have issues with arthritis, reflux, anxiety/depression (undiagnosed and unmedicated).  My biggest challenge will be staying off the scale!!!  

Day 2 for me here also! So far so good! I already own It Starts With Food, so I borrowed The Whole 30 today from the library. I'm anxious to dig right in....

Yesterday's meals were:

M1 - Two Eggs over Sweet Potato Hash (Sweet Potato, Mushroom, Bell Pepper and Onion) with a Pear (Yes, I know to limit fruit;) Two cups of hot green tea with lemon.

M2 - Chicken Salad with Homemade Mayo over Arugula and Spinach with a small handful of chopped Pecans and Apple with EVOO and Red Wine Vinegar.

M3 - Pumpkin Chili with a dollop of Mayo and a Green Salad with EVOO and Red Wine Vinegar.

Today:

M1 - Same as yesterday except I had half an apple instead of a pear and coffee with coconut milk.

M2 - Leftover Pumpkin Chili with a Green Salad. I topped the salad with Well Fed's Creamy Italian Dressing.

M3 - My plan is oven baked chicken/veggie fajitas with avocado, romaine, tomato and a little mayo thinned out with compliant salsa.

I did try coffee with coconut milk yesterday, mid-day and I loved it! I used my immersion blender and it came out so creamy and delish!

Hi all!  Hoping I can join you.  I started today, Monday, October 4th.  Bound and determined to do this!!  I did a 21 day detox about a year and a half ago which was very similar and did very well so I'm not quite a newbie.  Looking forward to getting support, feedback, and recipe ideas.  Really want to try my hand at homemade mayo. Made the whole 30 chicken cacciatore recipe yesterday and it was delish.  Brought the leftovers to work for lunch for the next 3 days.  Also made some egg "quiches" in muffin tins with roasted veggies and eggs.....so I'm set for lunches and breakfast.  Will probably have a big salad with chicken for dinner.  I have an awesome mustard vinaigrette recipe that my Nana used to make that is totally whole 30 compliant and nostalgic.

Need to shed about 25 lbs and have issues with arthritis, reflux, anxiety/depression (undiagnosed and unmedicated).  My biggest challenge will be staying off the scale!!!  

Welcome! Homemade mayo is beyond good! I follow the technique from Well Fed and use my immersion blender. There are so many uses for it! 

I would love the recipe for your mustard vinaigrette! 

Mustard Vinaigrette:

3/4 cup EVOO

1/4 cup cider vinegar

Large dollop of Guldens spicy brown mustard

1 clove crushed garlic

4 hardboiled eggs, diced

Salt, pepper, paprika....to taste

Mix all until well combined. Makes several servings.

Michelle do you have a specific recipe for sweet potato hash?

Mustard Vinaigrette:

3/4 cup EVOO

1/4 cup cider vinegar

Large dollop of Guldens spicy brown mustard

1 clove crushed garlic

4 hardboiled eggs, diced

Salt, pepper, paprika....to taste

Mix all until well combined. Makes several servings.

Michelle do you have a specific recipe for sweet potato hash?

I don't have a specific recipe.......I typically cut up 4 large bell peppers, a large yellow onion, 2 large sweet potatoes and an 8 oz. package of baby bella mushrooms into roughly the same size......saute everything in a large skillet in Olive Oil until the veggies are almost all the way cooked. This makes a large batch, so I store it and put however much I want in the am into a skillet and get a little more color on the veggies. I prefer to saute them the 2nd time in Ghee, but olive oil works too!

Hi! I started today the 5th, my second round. I ended my first round on the 18th. I've In the middle of wedding seasons, and I feel puffy! I would like to go until thanksgiving this round. This blog and replies was very helpful my first round.

Good morning, just found this thread, would love to join in. :)  I started on Saturday, this will be my second full W30.  I'm actually calling it W30 2.5 because I extended my first.  I had intended to do a W60 but life happened and it turned into a W45. :-/  I have been off my feet for awhile, so I am not in the shape I want to be in and am also attempting to put myself back into the habit of regular daily exercise to take my shape from just round back to curvy. :D

I see some good recipes starting already, the sweet potato hash is something close to what I enjoy for breakfast (hadn't thought of the save and re-cook-that sounds heavenly!) and I am definitely going to try that chili.  This time around I'm leaning a little heavier on the "pre-prepped" frozen veggies and cooking larger amounts so I have plenty of leftovers.  Back to my farm family cooking roots, lol.  One of my favorites, not a formal recipe, but oh-so-easy, is to pop a chicken or a roast into the crockpot with parsnips, carrots, and onions.  Add a little garlic, salt, and a bay leaf or three.  We eat it as roast chicken or roast the first night and I reserve the broth and leftover veggies for soup with some of the leftover meat.  If I'm using chicken I like to chop spinach or mixed greens and toss in.  If it's beef, I add mushrooms.  On occasion I also throw in diced butternut or sweet potato.

This morning I have been run over by the timeline and scraped off in the ditch.  Suffering quite a bit of brain fog but managed to make breakfast without damaging myself.  It was a close thing there, though.  Maybe I should put shoes on when I'm cooking...  I am tiiiiiiiired, but I know it will pass. 

Don't be afraid to try the mayo, I was intimidated by it at first and then had to laugh at myself when it turned out to be really easy.  Biggest thing is to let ALL your ingredients come to room temp before starting and put the oil in veeeeeerrrrrry slowly. :)  I love to do the "quiches" - super tasty and so convenient for later.

I also have a thing with the scale.  I moved it into several out of sight places my first time through (closet, under the sink, bathroom closet, hall closet) before finally resorting to having my husband take it and put it somewhere I would not find it.  I had no idea I was so hooked to that scale. 

I LOVE sweet potatoes so I will definitely give it a try.  Getting veggies in for breakfast is a challenge for me.  I usually do eggs but any breakfast ideas would be appreciated.

Feeling a little foggy this morning but I know it will pass.

Seriously considering having hubby hide the scale, too  :)

If you want to stay with eggs, consider adding chopped fresh spinach, spring mix, or herb blend and sauté in oil.  I also like to add mushrooms, onions, and diced sweet potato (pre-cooked).  Season with salt, pepper, perhaps a little garlic powder and paprika.  I love eggs, so I eat this a lot. :)  Can also be done as the mini-quiche in jumbo muffin pans.  But don't limit yourself to traditional breakfast foods.  That tip was given to me my first time through by one of the moderators and she kindly gave me some good suggestions. (My first week was a nightmare, I did not take the warnings seriously and was too busy trying to limit myself to eat what I actually needed.)  Sweet potato soup with that lovely breakfast sausage added is amazing.  Soups are easy and can be done ahead of time for a quick reheat.

I am foggy this morning also.  I was hoping to miss that this time, but no such luck, lol.  Be careful in the kitchen.  It's a dangerous place when you're in a haze. :)

Hi all! First timer here. Over the last week and a half, my husband and I have been incorporating compliant meals into our diet to get a good start on things. Day 3 is kicking my butt! I've been struggling with nausea off and on since we started working in the compliant meals (detox I guess) but for the past 2 days I've been so nauseous that eating is a struggle. Pretty much everything smells gross to me- it feels like I have morning sickness all day! I really hope this doesn't last too long. I am preparing my three meals and eating what I can but at times it's not very much. Are any of you dealing with this same thing? Or very rosy cheeks? My cheeks are often warm and pink!

Headache seems to have subsided today, a little foggy/lightheaded, but it's really the intense nausea that's killing me. I suffer from GERD so maybe it is that.

Feeling a little discouraged and any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Jes

Hi all! First timer here. Over the last week and a half, my husband and I have been incorporating compliant meals into our diet to get a good start on things. Day 3 is kicking my butt! I've been struggling with nausea off and on since we started working in the compliant meals (detox I guess) but for the past 2 days I've been so nauseous that eating is a struggle. Pretty much everything smells gross to me- it feels like I have morning sickness all day! I really hope this doesn't last too long. I am preparing my three meals and eating what I can but at times it's not very much. Are any of you dealing with this same thing? Or very rosy cheeks? My cheeks are often warm and pink!

Headache seems to have subsided today, a little foggy/lightheaded, but it's really the intense nausea that's killing me. I suffer from GERD so maybe it is that.

Feeling a little discouraged and any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Jes

Some nausea & lack of appetite is fairly normal but not usually so early in the game, and the rosy, warm, pink cheeks isn't a side effect I can say I've ever come across...

Are you eating anything new? Or could it be that you are just coming down with something?

If you'd like to post what you've eaten over the past few days along with liquid intake, stress/sleep/activity levels we can maybe help you troubleshoot...

Archived