What and when to eat...

jena89

I am on day 6 and have been reading a lot this morning about fruits and when I should be eating. I understand that fruits have sugar in them, so I shouldn't eat a lot of them. However, I've been seeing that only 1-2 servings a day and they can't be eaten alone (eat only with meals). I've also seen that I should not be snacking...?? I have been eating every 2 hours; I'll wake up and have breakfast, then eat a snack, then lunch, then another snack at work, then a snack before my workout at 4:30, and finally have dinner when I get home from my workout. Is this not what I should be doing? I am always hungry when I go to have said snacks, so I don't feel like it is mindless eating...maybe I am not eating enough at mealtimes. Any advice on this matter would be appreciated! I just would like to know if I should start over or just readjust my habits. Thanks! 

• Moderators

Try to make all your meals meet the meal template. If you do this and eat plenty of food at meals, you'll stay satisfied between meals for 4-5 hours. Eating bigger meals less often gives your digestive system time to rest between meals (not to mention, it's really convenient not to be eating every two hours, and not to be hangry if your meal is a little late). 

For best results, eat your first meal within an hour of waking up. I've linked to the meal template above, but what it means is for each meal, you should have:

• 1-2 palm-size portions of protein (that's the length, width, and depth of your palm). If eggs are your only protein source in a meal, have as many whole eggs as you can hold in your hand.
  • 1-2 thumb-sized portions of fat (most of the cooking fat you use doesn't count, as usually some of it is left behind in the pan afterwards). The meal template lists equivalent measures for things like olives, coconut flakes, avocado, etc. You can also get in your fat in the form of sauces or dips like mayo, salad dressings, chimichurri sauce
  • Fill the plate with vegetables. 1-3 cups, aim for three most of the time. If you have raw leafy greens, probably even more because they tend to break down to nothing as you eat and are not good at keeping you satisfied between meals.

In addition, if you work out, you can have pre- and post-workout meals as needed, in addition to your regular meals.

If you do need something between meals because you're truly hungry, eat. Try to have a mini meal of protein, fat, and vegetables, or at least two of the three. 

You don't need to start over, just work on changing things going forward.

Archived