The Columbus Crew

dcducks1

This is the next journey by a crew of "seasoned" Whole 30 participants that have been doing this for awhile. But don't head for the exits yet! We love having new members join our group. We have fun, recipes, offer encouragement, and bring everyone along and "never leave a man (or woman) behind! Feel free to join in and offer help where you can or ask questions that the group will happily answer. We don't allow bullies in the group and will un you off if you try. This group will start on Columbus day so make sure you do your shopping ahead of time and get ready to improve your health.....mind, body, and soul!

Dave

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone!  I finished my first W30 on Sept 22.  Since then have had 2 weekends out of town with friends/family and have eaten "all the things" - so looking forward to cleaning up my act again.  Obviously, I'm not yet trustworthy on my own!  I'm starting today with my hubby and daughter (her first W30 and she lives in Columbus Ohio - hence my curiosity about this thread).  Looking forward to this thread of experienced W30ers!

DJs - Welcome. Make sure you are ready to get serious with the next 30 days. We have a lot of great support on this thread and will help you along but you have to help yourself, be true to yourself, and true to the group. If you do, you will have fantastic results and maybe be able to sustain a better healthier diet in the future.

Dave

Dave, thanks for keeping this thread open. I am one week into my second Whole 30 and following the Sept 28th thread, but really want to shore up my efforts with smart, experienced buddies who post honest assessments and true stories...that is happening on the Sept 28th thread, but I know the quality of your posts and would like to follow along here too. I am committed to this way of eating becoming a way of life for me and sticking it through a great reintro after this 30 is done.

Appreciate you blazing the trail for us.

All - just a few days away from the start so let's make sure we are making mayo, BBQ sauce, getting the groceries bought, clearing out the garbage from the fridge and pantry and getting our minds right. You will need to weigh/measure yourself the night before (Sunday) and then the scale is banished for the next 30 days. EASY PEASY!

Dave

I am trying to recruit some new members who are starting around the same time as we are. 

Sending a warm welcome to all those who are joining us. 

Where is Miki?  I hope she is doing this with us.

CC and Rick?  I think they or maybe just CC is doing her own plan.

Higs is doing whole 30 with exercise.  Originally, I was going to participate in Higs' group but I just don't have the energy for exercise.  Steve's illness has sucked the life out of me.  However, I know Dave and cleaning, organizing and exercising will be included in our whole 30.  That's a positive since I need to be physically strong to care for Steve once he comes home from the hospital.

Does anyone speak to Deb?  I hope she is doing well.

Meadow - Whole 30 for you or are you still riding your own bike?

I am sure I forgot some people from the original group.  Hope everyone will be participating or at least stopping by for a visit.

Hey Laurie.   I'm here.   You know that line in 'Office Space' when the Bob(s) tell Peter "We see you've been missing alot of work." and  Peter says  "I can't say I've really been missing it".

It's kind of like that.   I'm not really Riding My Bike but tooling along doing what I've always done.  It is a very slow process. cowboy1-smiley.gif?1292867576  I haven't changed anything.  I can't call it a Whole 30 because that's only 30 days.  So I will continue to tool on until I stick the landing.  It's not too far away now. 

chase1-smiley.gif?1292867566

I'm happy you're hopping on this ship for support.  I'm here for you whenever you need me. cowboy-night-smiley.gif?1292867576Staying strong for Steve's return is very important.  Great decision.

I'm on Day 7 but like Merg (that bear avatar is the best) I'd like to widen my network from my other lovely October group.

So far so great, though I am in "exhausted in the afternoon valley" right now (right on time, according to the W30 timeline) - looking forward to climbing out of that. Have noticed all kinds of amazing things since starting- but the most unexpected one is that my gums feel awesome. Seems weird to celebrate that but it's a spillover effect of reducing general system overload that I hadn't expected. And I have had a lot of work done on my teeth, so I am really looking forward to my next cleaning. They are always trying to figure out why my gums are puffy - I think they will notice! okay, there's my weird NSV for the week. Thanks everyone! 

Laurie - I'm sure that we will have some familiar faces back in the group. I have not heard from Miki......but we still have a couple days left. We will also be gaining new friends which is what we have done every time we start a new Whole 30. Anyone who is reading this and wondering if this is the group for you.........just check out how many views and responses our groups get. Our first group got over 21,000 views, the second group....over 28,000, the third group...38,000.....and the last group.....over 51,000 views! That's a lot of people stopping by to see what all the hubbub is all about! As far as I can tell, there hasn't been any other groups that are getting as much attention. WE ROCK! Although views are nice, having people interact, make comments, ask questions, and let us get to know you is even better. If you are nervous about letting us know you are unhealthy.......uh......we all are....that's why we are here. I'm not sure if they have started a website for the people to complain about "I never have to work out and I eat nothing but garbage and I just can't seem to get rid of this perfectly sculpted body!" Maybe after Whole 30....someone from our group can start that forum!

OK, everyone should be gathering the food, making mayo out of pinecones, bark into granola bars, grinding dirt into BBQ sauce, gathering lawn clippings for salads....just kidding! There is plenty of great tasting food to be had while stilling staying W30 compliant. Lots of recipes and help are out there so don't be afraid to ask questions or do a little research. Buying the W30 book is also an option but definitely not necessary (sorry Melisa).

For those of you who have never done a W30 or (been compliant on the one you did do), you might experience some light-headedness.....this means you aren't eating enough. This program is for eating right.......not starving yourself! On that note......be positive with what you say and do. We use the term "I'm Starving" way too much in our country. Most of us have never been "starving" in our entire life. You can be hungry with out being overly dramatic. You don't take a drink and choke a little and scream "I'm Drowning"!

Make sure you are giving your body what it needs. Let people know how you are doing and they can help you adjust. After a few weeks you might get "Tiger Blood" which is where you wake up and have incredible energy. This is a good thing and something you will be fond of. Enjoy it!

Along this journey, I will be handing out chores for the group. This is designed to clean everything in your life......mind, body, soul, pantry, car, junk drawer, cat, fridge.....etc! These chores can be as big as you want or as small......but "Never Complain About The Results You Didn't Get From The Work You Never Put In! So...when I say wash the car, you can leave it out in the rain or you can wash, wax, detail, vacuum, clean the windows, check the oil, scrub the tires.......it's your choice! This is about a life changing event! This is getting off the couch, changing your routine, eating well, burning calories, being the person you are not (but want to be)........and succeeding! This will be a group that inspires......we are not mean.....but we also don't want to listen to whining and complaining! Everyone has problems and you never have to look very far to see someone who has it much worse than you. Motivate yourself to get past this life hurdle. You will be glad you did! 

In addition, I will be challenging you to examine your routines......and CHANGE THEM! If you come home, grab a bag of garbage to eat and watch Oprah (or Sportscenter).......GET UP! Walk in the door, change your clothes, grab the dog (who has missed you all day)....and go for a walk! Drive to the park and play fetch for awhile. Take the kayak out, go for a bike ride, fix something on the house that you have been putting off. This is not the Nike slogan "Just Do It".......this is MY slogan...."Just Do Something!" Find something that gets you out of your unhealthy routine, burns calories, betters your mood and mind, helps you relax, sleep better, and feel better. There are tons of benefits to eating healthy......let's find them over the next 30 days! 

Dave

Hi gang!

Dave, I always LOVE your welcome posts.  How could anyone NOT want to join in?  (well, except maybe the chores…)  I miss my old Dirty 30 peeps and will pop in and out to say hello -- especially if Hurricane Miki makes a return!  I'm midway through a Whole30 now and on another thread, but I'm out and about on the forums and will be checking in with you all.

Laurie, thinking of you and Steve, and sending all my best!  Big hugs to you, girl.

Higs

Ok, Columbus crew: I completed my first W30 on July 24th; didn't do a great reintroduction (birthdays, visits from family, anniversaries, etc). Then, I ate --ish on and off for a couple of months. Started another official W30 with the September 1st folks and did very well until 15 days in, I suddenly had to travel first for a failed visit with my extremely ill father (after flying in, a cold prevented me from actually seeing him). And then, I left a week later on a sudden business trip. Long story, but now I am ready to get going again for Monday.

I have several health issues that improve only while eating Real Food. My body is craving that clean, satisfied, healthy feeling. I know the first days might be a little tough as I adjust, and I am glad I have already experienced what excellent results I got last time.

Sooo, hello! Great to meet everyone.

hello all!

I used to have an account under the name dreamweavers. Cant figure out the password and which email i used. Its been a rough summer for us. Husband got very sick and we went in and out of doctors and finally they sent him to the hospital. He had a diaphramic hernia. It developed over years but in late july we started all the process of getting the surgery done. Got it done and then had complications and he developed an infection that made him slip into a coma. He came out 3 weeks ago and made strides and leaps with recovery. Been home for a week and our almost 4 year old daughter is thrilled to be home with her "hole family" LOL! the stress and anxiety over the months have made eating difficult. I did have some sucess on whole 30 for july. Hospitals are never the best and quite frankly I came home and collasped. So, since he is back on track and doing well enough I am going to put my health back in play. I am doing a weekend of prep then on monday oct 12 I am restarting my whole 30 and plan to go for 90 days. I have pcos and lupus and im also deaf. I have a very active 3 year old daughter who loves to run and play. I remember the first week was horrendous and since my diet has been sodas, fast foods etc i know i am in for a rough week or so. after that I should be great.

Thanks Meadow for sending me over here from the old group. I am going to check in daily at least and get everything straight this time. Husband or Dragon (as i call him) has asked me if i wanted to wait till after the holidays. NO. I am sick and tired of being sick and tired. I felt great remember??? So he is going to join me as soon as he can eat solid food and hold it down.

Hi

I have been doing the Whole30 since September 1, about day 16 realized that I didn't know the difference between snow peas/sugar peas and regular peas so started over. I intend on staying Whole30 for the next few months so would like to be part of this group. 

Exercise is my biggest downfall at the moment--well perhaps if I fell down that could count as exercise???? I used to love to exercise and have now avoided it at every turn. That is about to change.

Look forward to our time together. 

Archived