The Columbus Crew

dcducks1

Dave,  they say...whoever they are...that living well is the best revenge.   I used to make homemade cinnamon rolls for my coworkers.  I used to secretly hope that the bratty ones would enjoy them the most.   I would like to think I'm far and above that now.   I think so.   I sure hope so.   bulbar-smiley.gif?1292867562

Meadow, every year since my grandmother died (which is now about thirty) and since my mother stopped baking (which is at least 15), I have made grandma's homemade yeast cinnamon rolls and shipped them to my siblings and nieces/nephews in time for Christmas.  Going to have to rethink that.  There will be a revolt when I announce my plans to do something different...or nothing at all, actually - would really take some pressure off around the holidays.  You are hitting me right where it hurts now.  :P

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Same thing for Melissa Joulwan's velvety butternut squash casserole with coconut milk....SAY IT AINT SO!!

The ratios in the butternut squash casserole are completely different. MJ's recipe has only 2 tbsps of coconut milk IIRC in a HUGE amount of Squash, plus with the garlic & spices it's clearly a savoury dish. The recipe LuckyPennies was referring to had three types of fat (one of them a whole tin of coconut milk), plus fruit and is most definitely sweet, not savoury.

It ain't so.

Well i've had a crap few days, my dads cat was taken ill 3 days ago and she passed away this morning, i've managed to stick to the diet but i'm feeling miserable and uninspired ;( no intention of quitting though :)

So what nice meals has everyone had in the last couple days?

Dave

I've had a crappy year... the only thing I had control over was what I fed my body. Whole30 can be done in the most stressful time of your life, believe me, it actually helps you to stay focused on something that is good for you. Stay the course ;)

Good morning on day four!! Nice to open my fridge today and find it CLEAN when I went in to get my pre WO protein...nice too to see a post from Meadow...hope your teeth feel and look as awesome as that photo.

Miss Lindy, you amaze me with your cooking..you freeze avocados?

Pickle, you must easily walk 10k steps a day! I had to do circles in the kitchen last night to finish it up, but there was no morning walk yesterday. I am getting ready to do my mountain morning walking with dogs...who are whining now that they know I am up...so, off to it. Have a GREAT DAY everyone!!

Hi

I used to have avocado in my smoothie every morning, (my smoothies were always heavy on vegetable and little to no fruit) but now that I am not having smoothies because of W30 recommendations, I will have to rethink how to use the frozen avos. Perhaps avo soup?

They do freeze very well. I halve, peel and take the seed out, then put them in freezer bags and take out one or two halves when I need them. This year I have experimented with leaving the skin on some, stone in some with skin on, stone in with skin off. Clearly I have too much time on my hands or not enough to think about. But I was wondering if it would make a difference. 

Hutlifr. howdy-smiley.gif?1292867621 Avoir des atomes crochus avec quelqu'un.consoling-smiley.gif?1292867575

A Whole 30 is about eating for performance and not because we have a hole in our face. chocolate-smiley.gif?1292867569  It helps when you have  a Dave Dream Team. come-and-get-it-smiley.gif?1292867573  Ahhhh,  I remember it like it was only yesterday.   hi5-smiley.gif?1292867616 

It is the role of a champion to eat 3  powerful meals aday.   There's no flirting with the floorcleaning-smiley.gif?1292867570, eyes cast downward when you have worked on building UP that awesome dance-smiley.gif?1292867579repertoire of non-trigger healthy foods.

For anyone who has never made their own mayo - you can do it! I just did it for the first time (actually it took 3 tries but the third time was the charm) and it is great.  So much easier using an immersion blender than the slow drizzle method.  This will liven up boring veggies any time.

For anyone who has never made their own mayo - you can do it! I just did it for the first time (actually it took 3 tries but the third time was the charm) and it is great.  So much easier using an immersion blender than the slow drizzle method.  This will liven up boring veggies any time.

I tried once and failed miserably!  3 tries? Maybe there is hope?

RE homemade mayo:    

I make it all the time.  Usually it turns out fine, but if it turns out runny, I just put it in the fridge and it will set up in a few hours.  If it separates, you just over blended.  Don't throw it away!  You can just add it to a fresh batch and it will be saved! 

My recipe:  

Put in a blender:

3 eggs, 

1/4 clear vinegar or lemon juice

1 T mustard

pinch or two of salt

While the blender is running, slowly drizzle in 1 3/4 c olive oil.

The whole thing takes about 2 minutes.

Then I like to make a batch of egg salad or tuna salad or chx salad (or all the above!) to keep in the fridge for quick meals.

Hello team! I have been enjoying reading everybody's posts. Day 3 for me and going great! My energy is way better. I had to bring my lunch while out in the car running errands etc. Attatched is a pic. Some pork loin, sweet potato and cauliflower, ate cold while driving. Whole 30 version of fast food! And much tastier. I forgot to salt it before I left home but the natural flavours were s nice on their own.

I might try making mayo in the blender. I have yet to try it to intimidating but hey kombucha seemed intimidating at first too and it's super easy.

Thanks for the heads up Dave! I'm working on a plan for the day or two that the fridge is cleaned out. Thinking canned foods will be the most convenient - tuna, salmon, olives, plus fresh veggies. I have a few go-to's at the restaurants around here too that are compliant if it comes down to "lets run out for lunch". My biggest worry is going too long without eating bc we are "in the groove". Luckily, we aren't moving too far from the rental. :)

Enjoying reading everyone's posts! Keep up the good work! Happy to see some familiar names on here.

About to leave work, cook up some dinner and then vacuum... although if my fella has to work early vacuuming might not happen until the morning. But it will get done... I need to anyway - a few good runs before the carpet cleaners come. :)

I feel very accomplished today, lol.  Managed to take apart my elliptical far enough to get the grease where it needed to go so there were no more "savage" dog attacks or questionable noises for the neighbors to wonder about.  My energy stayed high today and the resurgence of cravings after my "fruit attack" is dying down again.  Perhaps best of all, acorn squash makes a wonderful soup bowl.  The chicken broth soaked in and gave it some serious flavor and left a thicker "stew" of chicken, chopped greens, and onions for filling. 

I am glad to hear that the velvety butternut squash recipe is still on the table, I certainly want to give it a try. :)  It is about the right weather here for chili, soups, stews, and casseroles so it's good timing.

Winding down now, not yet time to quit for the day but I will be busy until then so decided to post now. 

Have had a good day and even did the vacuuming! There was a shock. That vacuum is like lifting weights so I get strength training as well. It is a Kirby and honestly I have never had such a work out as when I move that thing around, takes two hands to move it. I suppose I could raise the base a bit but where's the fun in that?

Have ghee developing in the slow cooker--am amazed at it. Seems to be working beautifully. Coconut butter next! I was told today about a lady who may be able to instruct me in making coconut yogurt so will go investigate that. At least I will know what the ingredients are--we can get the approved kind here but I would have to sell at least one arm and half a leg to buy any. So will try to make it, at least can ask.

Sorry to see the custard go, but suspected it wouldn't be the thing to do--would love a compliant one--love custard. Best master soups and stews first. I have made the mayo and the first time I did it was perfect, then haven't been able to make it since. Hmmmm. One hit wonder for me.

We are going to a party next week and it will be out of town therefore one meal and later afternoon tea. I have fretted a bit about that but boiled eggs, olive oil in a container and avocado will see me through--I could also take some cold meat slices if I do a roast the day before. How easy it all this stuff? Brilliant. There will be undressed salad so that is no problem and I can drink water at the afternoon tea thing then dinner when we get home.

Hope you have all had a good day, or are about to! 

Day 4 is done. I continue to feel energetic and positive and hope this trend continues. 

m1 - Egg scramble with chicken sausage, avocado and two nights worth of leftover veggies (asparagus, mushrooms, onions, broccoli, peppers, etc.). 

m2-  Grilled pork salad with cukes, boiled egg, tomatoes and basic vinaigrette. A fistful of cold roasted beets and 1/2 of an orange. 

m3 - Grilled hamburger and portobello with compliant mustard. Salad with cukes, tomatoes, kalamata olives. Fingerling potatoes with olive oil and oregano. 

Soooo glad to have potatoes back on my plate! I vacuumed the entire house (even the hardwood floors) and it looks great. 

Tomorrow night will be my first night out to a restaurant doing W30. I'm a little apprehensive, but looking forward to a break from cooking. 

Hope you're thriving wherever you are out there, C Crew!

Hi Crew! I've have been so happy to read everyones posts the last few days. It has really helped me stay the course during a challanging week. So far I feel great about my meal choices. Eggs, Veg and Avocado for breakfast. Protein and Veg salads for lunch and Meat and double Veg for dinners. Le Croix carbonated waters have been a fun addition.

My energy has been up and down. I took a nap today. Luckily I had the freedom to do that. It felt very indulgent. Unfortunately my clothes are fitting a little tighter. Not what I would prefer but I remember this happening the first time I did the Whole 30. It should calm down next week.

Regarding Mayo...I love using the immersion blender. Gone are the days of the oil drizzle and crossing my fingers. In less than a minute I have perfect Mayo. Yum.

I'm on Day 3 and my legs started feeling achy this evening. Is this normal?

Thanks!

Sonia

Nothing about eating healthy, wholesome, nutritious food would cause your legs to ache.

Have you been more active than usual? Could you be coming down with something?

Inspired by this thread I made mayo tonight. And it turned out! Now I have to figure out what to do with it, lol. What are your favourite uses or recipes using the olive oil mayo?

Besides mayo I also did a mini food prep session. Roasted beets, boiled Swiss chard, made an apple and cabbage slaw with apple cider vinegar and started a new batch of kombucha with a new gallon jar I got today. I also took out some beef for chocolate chilli and chicken thighs for a slow cooker meal to cook tommorrow. I find I can better fit in a bit of cooking throughout the week rather than one big day of cooking.

I'm also lucky that pretty much everything my husband cooks is whole 30 compliant too.

Crew - we are on to day 5! Hope everyone is doing ok. I am hearing about some aches and pains, a rash, stuffiness, congestion, tiredness.................some of these might be just from over doing it. The rash and congestion probably need to get checked out by a doctor.

Todays chore is going to be to "give the ship a good wipe down.....wipe all decks (floors), overheads (ceilings), ladders (stairs), and passageways (hallways)". Pay close attention to all the dirty fingerprints on stair railing, walls, around door knobs, where the pets scratch. This should take 30-60 minutes. I will give a white glove inspection afterwards!

Have a fantastic Friday (or whatever day you are currently on)!

Dave

I made my first mayo too!  LOVE that I can now add this back into my meals!  However, I just about cried when my smoked salmon had sugar in it!  So, I ate steak (and tons of roasted broccoli, with  a little mayo inspired dipping sauce) instead for dinner last night! 

I have made a mental list of food items to pack for the weekend and hope my family is supportive.  I'll pack the cooler this afternoon!

Two eggs over fresh salsa with a side of roasted potatoes this morning for breakfast!  Now, off to ride a horse for the morning!

So glad to see I'm not the only one who failed miserably at their first attempt with making Mayo - I definitely over blended. It ended up ver y runny, but I added some lime juice, minced garlic & a bunch of fresh cilantro and used it as a super tasy salad dressing this week. I may have to make this again, but am also looking forward to mastering the recipe and making some mayo with the proper consistency.

I'm feeling great about the Whole 30 so far (starting my fourth day today), and haven't really had any cravings. That being said, we're heading to a funeral tomorrow where I will be faced with my favourite thing ever...little sandwiches with no crusts, eek! Planning on having some almonds & an apple on our way there to make sure I'm not starving enough to cave and eat those little sandwiches!!

I teach at a quilting retreat that is in a tiny town out in the country. It starts October 30 and ends with dinner on November 1. My friend and I will drive up the night before. The woman who does the cooking is a down home country cook. She always cooks for us and she knows I have celiac disease and since her grandson does too she is fine with that part of my diet. I called her and she said they get their meat and poultry from a local farmer. I'm planning on taking olive oil for my salads for they don't have that and I'll take some ghee. There is a snack table available 24/7 in the room we quilt in. Very tempting. The other thing is that I probably won't be able to eat cooked vegetables because everything is cooked with some sort of meat - bacon, ham, etc. There are no fridges in the rooms and no where I can get ice for a cooler that long. The 30th is the last day of my second W30. Any suggestions on what I could take to fill out the meals (if necessary)? I plan on staying on W30 for another 30 days before starting reintroductions.

If this is your first go at a Whole 30 or this is your nth time - the way to make it through 30 days is constantly distract yourself from using food for entertainment.  When the 30 days are over, you should already have a strategy in place for the rest of your life.

If play foods were your former source of entertainment and comfort,  those old habits that served you once will get you nowhere good.  Groundhog Day.

There's nothing about eating 3 whole foods meals that should cause someone to go to the hospital.  So if you have medical conditions....get yourself to the doctor or emergency room.

Back in ye olde days,  we all kicked some serious butt UP in here.  There was no messing around. We didn't whine, blubber or bawl...throw ourselves on the floor because food meant everything to us. It didn't.  It still doesn't.  We were bouncing our thoughts and humor off of each other's heads.   We laughed and howled at the moon.  We didn't make any plans for a snackstorm on Day 31 or a big food blow-out bender.   

No one wanted to dip their toes back into the sugary sharkysharky-smiley.gif?1292867670waters.  We were floating and dancing and singing.   The house and garage were looking sharp and my ceiling fans were dusted.  No one dared think about a big food dust-up at the end on Day 31.   

I couldn't go for that then and I can't go for that now.    Ducks helped us connect the dots between our heads and our hearts.  Yeah, baby.   We pulled out all of the dross to find the gold.   Then he took the training wheels off and said get going and don't let the door hit you in the rearend on the way out.   Don't do the mess around with play foods.  Keep going until you reach your optimum setpoint.

I've been working on that for 1.5 years.   So settle in and think about the long haul.  30 days are truly a drop in the bucket when you're looking at the big picture.   This is not a weight loss branded diet or something you plan before a big ole cruise....where you cruise on over to the buffet tables and eat it all back.

This is not the Drop It Like It's Hot diet.   A Whole 30 can completely change your relationship with food if you quit thinking about food....morning, noon and night.   There's normal and abby normal. 'Normal' folks do not revolve their entire lives around food.   They don't.  Neither do children who are allowed to regulate their appetites as nature intended for them.   These abby normal habits have been ingrained into brains from lifetimes of branded diets and highly engineered to be craved foods.

Sugar withdrawal is miserable.  There were days that my knees used to buckle to the ground and I was Gumby.   gumby-lg.jpg

Start working on your strategy for success on Day 31 and beyond,  right now!  You don't want Groundhog Day.  You want a release from the past.  You want to return to your original factory settings before the head was messed around with.... Too much branded dieting,  play foods and snackstorms. 

Nothing about eating healthy, wholesome, nutritious food would cause your legs to ache.

Have you been more active than usual? Could you be coming down with something?

I have no idea. I took some magnesium this morning and it's feeling less but still there. I'm not exercising, so I don't think I'm stressing me legs. I'll keep you guys posted. Definately didn't expect this symptom.

Thanks!

Archived