The Columbus Crew

dcducks1

Hi, all. Just checking in to say I'm still on board. It's been a crazy few days and I was in a situation where I couldn't get to my planned breakfast, so I had to run into a convenience store. Hallelujiah for Wawa (you mid-Atlanticers know what I mean), prepackaged hardboiled eggs (which were WAY better than I expected), baby carrots, and black coffee (which is tasting better and better). My cravings and hunger pangs have significantly diminished, and I know if I pick up again, they'll come roaring back. As such, I'm at the point where I'd rather skip a meal than eat something that I know is trouble. I wish my energy were better, but I think that's more about the circumstances I'm dealing with (homeless, jobless, and caring for 2 parents with Alzheimer's disease). I was reading recently about bright line rules, a legal term that basically means a rule or boundary that is non-negotiable. For me, that's sugar and processed food. That really helped me yesterday when I dashed into the convenience store -- I didn't even consider all of the other breakfast no-no's because they simply weren't an option.

My meals are pretty uninspired and sometimes get repetitive, but that's okay. The reduction in cravings/hunger pangs has been wonderful. I'm feeling a little shaky on portion control so reviewing the template again today.

Taking a cooking day today to make crockpot breakfast sausage, chicken soup with kale, onion & sweet taters, salmon patties, kitchen sink meatloaf (meatloaf crammed with shredded veggies), and then fish tacos for dinner tonight (wrapped in lettuce tortillas). Tomorrow: buffalo ranch stuffed peppers. Mmmm!

Stay the course, mateys. We got this! :)

Wawa has the best coffee! I try to keep my blinders on to all the food they prepare there.

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pull Out the Dross

cavitysearch-smiley.gif?1292867566

We have to pull out the dross to find the gold.   You have to dig deep to remove the dross from your head as you tool along.   Simply going through the motions for 30 days without engaging your head into the Whole 30 process can leave you right back where you started on Day 31.   You don't want that.      

You want the gold.   Go for the gold.   Examine your head.   It may take longer than 30 days to figure out how you've arrived at a food addiction or using thrill eating as a stress buster.   Pull out the dross....item by item.   Your answers will come.  

I see logs of food but sometimes that doesn't gives them the permanent change they're looking for on Day 31.   They don't know what happened and why the old habits didn't go away.   It does take self examination and not being afraid to really look at yourself in the mirror.  

Dig deep.  Pull everything out of your being that's standing in your way.  Don't gloss over anything.   Don't gloss to pull out the dross. 

Plugging along at a snails pace, but plugging... As much as I want this to be a compliant Whole30, it isn't yet. BUT, as soon I get to say good bye to the antibiotics I have to take right now, I AM going to do another. So, right now, I am doing a WholeDenisePostSurgery/RupturedAppendix/for9moredays... I am not going to post what I am eating for fear others might read it and think the non-compliant probiotic additions to otherwise compliant meals are ok. I am happy to say I got in 30 minutes of wiping down my ship and 2 hours of changing the sheets on my bed. Yep it took me that long to do such a simple chore and I am proud of it! :D Some positives I am noticing is, not needing pain meds, appetite is improving, the psorasis/eczema whateveritwas on my face has almost completely cleared up(obviously a grain caused thing as those have been gone from my diet since I got sick, Friday a week ago). Made it thru the night without getting up, although I did wake up but fell back to sleep. Looking forward to tonight! So, thanks for letting me sail with you. I'll do my best to keep it smooth sailing!

It may take longer than 30 days to figure out how you've arrived at a food addiction or using thrill eating as a stress buster.   

This is what I said as I decided I needed another 30. It's going to take more than 30 days to get rid of the food-crazy. It's been going on for 44 years now, and possibly even longer!

C ceseaux and Chill...this is my attitude as well....an attitude and an altitude!! I am aiming for a clean 30 so I can do a strict reintro and know what foods I can reincorporate...but if it takes a reset along the way to get that clean 30, then that is what I will do. C ceseaux, do you see the Whole 9 newsletter? The most recent one is really good about the WHOLE program and mindset.

Yes, I subscribed to both of them. :)  It helps me a lot to read through them.  I generally end up doing a quick scan of the daily in the morning and them re-read at night.  The other one (which right at the moment I can't remember how often I get) always has some good recipes and tips for me as well.  It's a little eerie sometimes how right on the money that daily newsletter is, lol. 

Hi, all. Just checking in to say I'm still on board. It's been a crazy few days and I was in a situation where I couldn't get to my planned breakfast, so I had to run into a convenience store. Hallelujiah for Wawa (you mid-Atlanticers know what I mean), prepackaged hardboiled eggs (which were WAY better than I expected), baby carrots, and black coffee (which is tasting better and better). My cravings and hunger pangs have significantly diminished, and I know if I pick up again, they'll come roaring back. As such, I'm at the point where I'd rather skip a meal than eat something that I know is trouble. I wish my energy were better, but I think that's more about the circumstances I'm dealing with (homeless, jobless, and caring for 2 parents with Alzheimer's disease). I was reading recently about bright line rules, a legal term that basically means a rule or boundary that is non-negotiable. For me, that's sugar and processed food. That really helped me yesterday when I dashed into the convenience store -- I didn't even consider all of the other breakfast no-no's because they simply weren't an option.

Stress, which you are under a large amount of, will zap your energy no matter what you're eating!  But you will be much better off and be less zapped than if you were off the course loading up on junk. :) Great job on holding steady!

Take a Brain Dump.  

Staying stuck in your own head will keep you there forever.

The entire time during my first WD30 thread...1.5 years ago,  I was thinking about the End Game.  How and  What will I do on Day 31.  I was scrambling throughout the threads,  digging and researching for my answers.

What is a Reintroduction Phase and How do I go about it.   I didn't wait until Day 31.  I knew I had to be ready and willing to conduct a proper reintroduction phase for my answers.   I chose the Slow Roll. 

I went Ooooo sooooo slooooow to buy myself some time.  The Whole 30 is a Food Reset but the Head Reset will take you much further.   Whole 30 is only 30 days and it's not a Whole 365.   Many have tried and flopped. It was not designed to be a 'way of life' or for 365 days.   

You have to create your own personal and individualized plan based on your Reintroduction Phase.  I call mine...Positive Food Management Plan.  Yours will be different from others.   We are not identical unless you're cloning yourself and well, we'll save that for another day.

The simple, nonnegotiable principles of a Whole 30 are comforting.  Comfort play foods are not and never will be.  They are deceivers.  Imposters. SWYPO's   = Swapped out versions of play foods that will get you nowhere good.  SWYPO's  SWIPE-O's.

Whole 30 is not a 30 day diet.   We are not dieters.  Using those words flies in the face of what a Whole 30 is all about.   It is a Food Reset.  

You can return back to original factory settings.  Take a Brain Dump.

Spend some serious quality time here, planning your own strategy.  Take complete responsibility for yourself.   No excuses.  We're adults now.

You already know what your Big Kahuna Trigger Foods are.   When you belly up to the buffet table...do you fall back into pasta, bread, pizza and baked goods?   Are you so hooked on grains in general and bread in particular that you have to  EAT  ALL  THE   THINGS....ALL OF THE TIME.

You know.   You already know the play foods that marsh your mellow.  Do you let potato chips sweep you off your feet.  Last time I checked, death from lack of cheetos seems highly unlikely.  So round up all of your usual suspects and trigger foods.   

Allow this period of 30 days of stability - without any trigger foods at all - be your guide to overall health and well being.

That is awesome, Meadow! :D  Yes, I know all too well what my "Big Kahuna" foods are, lol.  I will say, though that I had a couple surprises last time with foods I did not know I had issues with. (I was so sad to give up those lovely ruby red grapefruit).  Other than that, when I do reintroduction and give my best shot at staying "clean" I will be smacking my own fingers away from those triggers (may have to stay out of Mexican restaurants for a good long while :D )

I don't call it clean eating because that connotes dirty eating is wrong. We were the Whole Dirty Thirty = WD30 for a reason.   We were not afraid of pinecones, dirt, lawn clippings, old leather shoes, twigs and the bark off of trees.

I don't do extremes.   No good girl vs. naughty girl.  No clean vs. dirty.  No strict branded diets vs. eating whole healthy foods.  'I was really naughty today' is the way a child talks.   We no longer refer to food in childish terms.

I'm not 'clean' if I'm eating whole healthy non-trigger foods.   I'm not a 'dirty' bird if a smidge of non-compliant ingredients falls into my food at a salad bar.   Swinging the pendulum out to extremes either way is over-restriction thinking.   It creates self-doubt.

So apply yourself today.   Don't wait until Day 31.   You don't want to fall backwards ever again.  Ever.

Maintaining everything you learn is a major achievement but you have to connect the dots between your  Body.   Mind.  Spirit.   

That's the key that's going to catapult you into weight stability for the rest of your life.   Sticking the landing is major.   Weight stability is everything. It's not perfection but who wants to rebound with every single pound and then some. 

Not me.

I don't call it clean eating because that connotes dirty eating is wrong. We were the Whole Dirty Thirty = WD30 for a reason.   We were not afraid of pinecones, dirt, lawn clippings, old leather shoes, twigs and the bark off of trees.

I don't do extremes.   No good girl vs. naughty girl.  No clean vs. dirty.  No strict branded diets vs. eating whole healthy foods.  'I was really naughty today' is the way a child talks.   We no longer refer to food in childish terms.

I'm not 'clean' if I'm eating whole healthy non-trigger foods.   I'm not a 'dirty' bird if a smidge of non-compliant ingredients falls into my food at a salad bar.   Swinging the pendulum out to extremes either way is over-restriction thinking.   It creates self-doubt.

So apply yourself today.   Don't wait until Day 31.   You don't want to fall backwards ever again.  Ever.

Maintaining everything you learn is a major achievement but you have to connect the dots between your  Body.   Mind.  Spirit.   

That's the key that's going to catapult you into weight stability for the rest of your life.   Sticking the landing is major.   Weight stability is everything. It's not perfection but who wants to rebound with every single pound and then some. 

Not me.

MeadowLily, you have shared SO many wise words in so little time!! Thank you  :)

Following this thread as inspiration to keep eating clean and remember how good I feel when I eat the right foods. I finished my whole30 on Tuesday with a 5.4 lb loss but I'm using everything I learned within that month everyday. Awesome support you all have; you can do this!

All - good morning - afternoon - evening,

Today is Day 6 and your chore today is to clean a storage area. It can be a closet, a garage, a shed, a junk drawer, a room.....wherever you pile things up in disarray.

Make today a very good day!

Dave

It has taken me 1.5 years to put all of these puzzle pieces together.  I followed the authors of Whole 30.  I read their blogs and articles, manifestos.  I read the questions and their answers to members over the years.   I make notes and started a Whole 30 journal.

I had to find the road.  There were signs along the way but I had to follow the trail, pick up on the smoke signals and make my own way.   It was the 'adult'..taking full and complete responsibility way.  

What it comes down to in the end is enjoying it.  Really enjoying it.  See, it's all fun.  Really.  

:D Oh so happy for a day off from work! 

I now have 4 days off- today is my r&r day, a no-driving day....Took a great 1 hr. walk in the rain this morning and am thoroughly enjoying reading everyone's posts.

I relate to so much of what's been shared here.  The good and the challenging. 

I have experienced a freedom from food-obsessed measuring and thinking since Day 1.  It's such a relief!  I don't get hungry between meals now and am feeling like a grown-up (41 y.o.) sticking to my 3 meals instead of perpetually snacking.  My mind is being opened by reading "Grain Brain" and listening to Robb Wolf's Paleo podcasts.  I'm definitely going through a mental shift.

The post where someone gave the reminder to be present and intently LISTEN when at a gathering is the kind of rethinking I'm doing.  I want my head space to be freed up to BE PRESENT!

I am a new nurse working on a busy med-surg floor and got my butt kicked this week by some very challenging sick patients.  I cried for the first time at work, and for three days in a row.  I was so stressed that I honestly was at a breaking point many times a day, where I was frozen and could not...think...at...all.  Par for the course for a new nurse. 

I don't know if I would have fared any better if I had been eating pre-W30.  The biggest change for me is that pre-W30, I was intermittent fasting every day and my first meal would be anywhere from 12-3 p.m.  Eating breakfast before I go to work is really helping me, or so I thought.  This does not seem to be hormonally related due to my cycle, but just sheer work-stress. 

I'm loving the beautiful colors of the food I'm eating and have made the effort to do nothing else when I'm eating a meal, but enjoy it.  What a change!

Thank you all for embarking on a change and being willing to share along the way. :)

Miss Lindy, it is lovely to read your posts when I first wander into my kitchen...thinking of you as the trail leader on this hike..and you set a great positive example. I also had a kill all things event yesterday in the form of a tearful conversation with my hubs. Poor guy, he probably wondered what hit him, or me....but all is well and I am ready to start the new day.

What do y ou use to make your Ghee? I'm sure there are specs of some kind of what sort of butter to get. I've never seen butter at my farmers mkt.

Cheers to all for a great new day!

Hi Merg

What a lovely surprise to read your post this morning, I have never imagined myself as a trail leader--you made my day.

My Ghee is made from regular butter, here it is grass-fed so I just pop it in the crock pot and walk away, then strain when ready. I used to use a double-boiler, stir and watch over it like a protective hen, strain, restrain and end up with a tiny jar of almost gold liquid. It tasted nice but was such a messy, time-consuming process I spent hours trawling the net to find someone selling Ghee. I did find someone but the price nearly made me faint and give up completely. Then found one that was much less expensive but still pricey--bought it anyway and developed a love for it. Then Jonica posted about how she makes it in a crock pot and shared the link--BRILLIANT. Now I will be making it this way forever. 

http://www.primallyinspired.com/ghee-in-the-crockpot/

:)

I know that weekends are when I usually lose sight of what the end game is so having everyone here for inspiration is helping tremendously.  Just feeling like I am accountable to the Crew helps me make better choices.  When I feel a bad choice coming on I remind myself to "get out of your own way" and that helps me avoid self-sabotage.  For the ones that have never tried coconut oil in their coffee, about a year ago I tried it for the first time thinking that it would be nasty but it turned out very tasty!  I admit that I do use the refined coconut oil instead of the extra virgin because I don't like a strong taste of coconut.  When it is blended well it magically turns a beautiful color with foam on the top.  I like my coffee very hot too so after I blend it I just nuke it a bit.  I used to just have it occasionally, for a treat, because I always drank my coffee black anyway but then I realized that I actually felt like I got a good energy boost afterward so now I am drinking it most days.  For those of you that make your own clarified butter, what do you use to strain it through?  I have tried in the past but usually make a big mess and feel like I don't get it strained well enough. Thanks for any advice.  

Wawa has the best coffee! I try to keep my blinders on to all the food they prepare there.

Quilter -- I'm in total agreement! Actually had some decaf and it was surprisingly good (and only $1 for *any* size cup). And with you on the blinders--I grew up in Phila., so I'm genetically predisposed to survive on soft pretzels & hoagies.  :P 

Good day today, very busy but I had the best sleep of my life last night. Went to bed just before 10pm and woke up at 0640! What a difference that makes to ones outlook--speaking for myself.

We had a busy day, early appointment, had to stop and pick a few things up in different places, heavy traffic, got lost, had a Kill All Things episode then shut my mouth quick before I was left at the roadside as a public hazard! I kept smiling to myself thinking of you all and how you could relate to that emotion. At least no one died, we got home safely, and I made a late meeting, and am now home and in a much better temper.

I made crockpot ghee last night--and Jonica, it was the best thing I have done for ages. It is so perfect and will be making it from now on--so easy and foolproof. Thank you Thank you Thank You.

Hope you are all cruising along, am now about to make meal 3 of this day. I can't believe how much I am enjoying the taste, flavours and textures of food lately. Lovely. :)

So glad you liked it and it worked for you! I love making ghee that way. And the coconut butter is wonderful too.

Hi, All. Hanging in, even though today was one of those "Kill All the Things" days. Like many people, I have a very difficult relationship with my mom. In my case, mine is alcoholic and has borderline personality disorder. I got to a point this evening where I had to physically remove myself from her presence and go for a drive because I was feeling so much anger towards her. And hoo boy, could I feel that old compulsion to piledrive carbs roaring inside. I'm happy to say, I didn't act on it. Instead, I got curious and wondered what might emerge if I *didn't* stuff it all back down. It certainly wasn't pleasant, but it didn't kill me, either. And I didn't self-destruct with food. Had I done so, I could now be wallowing in post-binge self loathing, guilt & regret, but instead I'm just feeling angry & sad... and a little bit stronger, because I exercised my greatest and truest freedom -- the ability to choose my response. And I chose to remain present. Meadow Lily -- thank you so much for your wise, insightful posts -- when I got back from my drive, I went up to the guest bedroom, closed the door, and logged on to the forum. I read through your posts, and they made me smile. By the time I got to the Beetlejuice post, it made me laugh out loud. Thank you, and thank you C_Cezeau, for the props. :) Y'all are a lifeline out here.

Rough seas, but that's life. Still worth the trip, especially with a great crew. :)

So, yes I disappered. Husband had a reaction to medicines and we ended back up in urgent care. Fell competely off the wagon. I did discover I am a huge STRESS EATER.

I plan on starting again after we get this fridge fixed. Cant keep foods safe and stable in a cooler for longer than a day or two. And I use my own mayo and dressing far more than I thought.

Dont worry the man is coming out on monday to look at the fridge and order the part if it can be fixed. If not then we will see about a mid size fridge until we pay off the stove we just brought on loan. And medicial bills. Its amazing how expensive an ambulance ride is from urgent care to the hospital when it was only 2.5 miles away! I would have tossed him in the car if he wasnt hooked up to 6 different medicines in an iv!

I have a very difficult relationship with my mom...........I got to a point this evening where I had to physically remove myself from her presence and go for a drive because I was feeling so much anger towards her. ...........And I didn't self-destruct with food.

I could NEVER live with my mom!  Kudos to you for caring for your self and making a clear choice.  Well done.

Does anyone know why butternut squash is preferable to spaghetti squash on the W30?  On the W30 shopping list, the butternut squash is in blue, whereas the spag squash is only to be eaten occasionally.

Most of our veggies are non-starchy carbs, while we limit the amount of starchy carbs we have.  Right?

I'm looooving squashes and was going to primarily have spaghetti squash because it's not a starchy veggie..until I saw that.  What do you all think?

Good luck, Jonica. May peace and love follow you until you're able to get back to where you can care for yourself, too. 

Nice reading all of the posts tonight. I am starting to look forward to my checkins here. It's truly enjoyable connecting, knowing we are all out there -- struggling, enjoying, prepping, shopping, wondering, worrying, and laughing over some of the same things. 

Meadowlily, Beetlejuice did put it all in perspective tonight. 

LV8NtheVibe, you sound like a very good son. I am familiar with your mom's diagnosis and it's absolutely one of the most difficult imaginable--for her and for you. I'm glad to see you were able to stay so true to yourself today.

Forgive me for continuing to post my meals (because frankly, they are very repetitive!), but it's helping me as ritual right now. 

m1 - 2 eggs over easy. Sausage. Sauteed tomatoes, avocado, broccoli. Black coffee. 

m2 - Hamburger patty. Green salad with peppers, avocado, tomatoes, carrots, sugar snap peas, olives, walnuts, boiled egg, with Italian vinaigrette. Red grapes. 

m3 - Grilled shrimp. Bake potato with ghee. Chopped veggie salad- almonds, broccoli, carrots, peppers, sugar snap peas. 

G'night, dear Crew. Thanks for making this adventure about so much more than just food. 

Archived