The Columbus Crew

dcducks1

All, I'm spending tomorrow with my middle son as we check out a possible future college for him next year. I need an hour of exercise from you, break it up if you have to. Tomorrows chores: floors! Wash them, vacuum, was them, sweep them, carpet them, replace them......make them like new.

Dave

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well.  Got a curveball thrown at us today in the form of lab results for my husband.  High cholesterol and pre-diabetic high blood sugar.  Medication prescribed for the cholesterol (which I am not in agreement with) and doc recommended he see dietician for the blood sugar.  In one of those really fortuitous quirks of fate, here I sit fully armed with newly acquired knowledge and experience of improving health through diet.  So, looks like the dear man, who has been very supportive but did not wish to do the program himself will now be joining the healthy eating club.  Most of the cooking we do has already been adjusted to fit the program, the hard part for him will be stepping away from the over processed white bread, Cheetos, and the terrible sugary snack habit he picked up while he's been kicking the smoking habit.

I would love to see him take on the W30 completely, but think if he does decide to give it a try it will have to be after the holidays.  In the meantime, with a few more nudges in the right direction, I am hopeful that we can have that cholesterol and blood sugar under control fairly quickly.

In the meantime, I am maintaining my own progress and remaining optimistic.  I have received so many benefits from this program, it's a true blessing. :)

Floors, huh?  That will give me something to burn off the agitation with. My house becomes very clean in times of uncertainty, lol. 

Dave, good luck with college touring...what a big transition in everyone's lives!!

Bronnyd, very happy to read your posts...boy, packing lunch AND dinner is a challenge...I guess Pickle does that also. ok! I will stop complaining about packing breakfast and lunch.

Cynthia, sorry about your hubby's news. I've been knocked way down in the past by health problems, and they do have a way of getting your attention and sometimes inspiring real change. Hey, if he can quit smoking, he can quit sugar...I know it...and with you around o inspire him, he is all set up for success.

I dunno, crew, I believe that the 30 days are magic because it takes that long for these good habits to even get a toe hold...and then months of healthy eating after to lock them in. Generally my desire for sugar now is WAY reduced...still cops up every now and then, but not too strongly. Wine was calling my name really loudly tonight for some reason...really had to wait it out and play all kind of games with myself to not pour a glass...but I made it. Think I will go back to the forums on post w30 and read the wine threads again...GATEWAY TO HELL, at least in my case. I will try, during reintro, to see if a small amt of red wine on special occasions...but wonder if even that is wise...have to keep turning my attention back to how much better I feel in my body now....and how much better overall....precious.

Merg, I feel ya! Kombucha cultured tea has been a huge help for me at night. I pour small amounts into a beautiful glass and it's a wonderful, tart/fruity ritual with my dinner. After glass after glass of water all day, the tea is a welcome taste at night. The bottles are pricey, but all I really want is a small amount. Although I admit, the La Croix water with lemon or lime is also satisfying to me at night. 

Cynthia, I am sorry to hear about your husband's news. I'm really hoping that he will be able to join you on this journey now. And I agree with Merg, if he was able to kick smoking, then sugar is definitely doable for him!

Day 25. I cannot believe we are down to five days!! I think I hear the roar of a crowd in the distance. 

m1- Eggs over easy with grilled avocado and tomatoes. Freshly picked mountain apple.  :)

m2- Grilled chicken and a sweet potato with ghee and a few pistachios and almond butter. 

m3- Grilled salmon with leeks, garlic, Brussels sprouts and sweet peppers. 

Focused on my kitchen countertops, cabinets and floors today-- trying to catch up on skipped chores. All are ship shape and shining! 

Hey All - I just want to say how much I enjoy reading your posts and am grateful to have been so welcomed in with such a great crew. This is a huge help and dang - I'm gonna get my house super clean and organized as well!

Seriously this has been on my mind - organization is not my forte. I'm pretty good at stacking papers in a neat pile but they're still in chaos - nothing filed. Books lying around, clothes on the floor. Dust on the ceiling fans (just saw that the other day). It's not huge but I've been wanting to flesh out, organize, clean - so THANKS dcducks!! I'm making a list and timeline for my chores.

Wow, C-cezaeux, ditto with what others are saying and I too hope your husband joins in.. almost like blessing in disguise. I believe my health issues were what made me big time aware of habits and sensitivities that I didn't see before.

YAY merge about not giving in to the wine craving! Big chuckle at "Gateway To Hell".

It's a cloud that will pass. I tell myself that with cravings - like today - the chocolate dragon did raise her head a bit after lunch - craved one piece (just one wouldn't hurt) for after lunch treat. I looked at her and said, "you are a cloud and you will float away soon." And yes, also remembered how I feel when I eat sugar of any kind - CRAPPY AND WANTING MORE!

Today I feel like I ate too much. Stomach feels a little ergh and after dinner I felt really tired. Still, I'm eating way better just this past week what with all the veggies, which feels great in general.

m1  two fried eggs, two bacons, zucchini and red cabbage and spinach sauteed

m2  salmon lighly pan fried in bacon grease (brings out the salmon flavor), rest of sauteed zucchini, spinach, 1/2 avo

m3  big salad with sausage, hb egg, almonds, carrot, fennel, greens, 1/2 chopped fig oo and lemon

I'm ready for bed and it's not even 10. 

My carpets are spotless, the bathroom floors and kitchen linoleum sparkling. :D 

I think he will come along, he was asking for suggestions today.  We're getting a game plan together, and I really think he might be open to a full plan when we come back from vacation this winter.  Even if he doesn't, this has made him see the need for a change in diet.  I think watching all the great benefit I'm enjoying from W30 has really made an impression. :)

On a more humorous note, I decided to try a new exercise today.  My upper arms have been really lose since the large weight loss - add to that lack of physical activity over a period of several months and they were really flabby.  So, I decided to try the "chair dips" I keep hearing are the best for toning up the back of the upper arm today.  I can do FIVE, lol.  I can do 100 pushups (broken up in sets) without too much trouble, but that chair dip kicked my BUTT.  Being somewhat stubborn, I will tackle it again tomorrow.  I'm going to try to add to the number I can do each day until I reach a respectable total.  :D  I know I can make it, when I first started trying to exercise my shape back into some sort of decent condition back in 2012, I was in such bad shape I could not do a sit up without help.  Not one.  If I can master those, I know I can beat the chair dip, lol.

With the cold weather looking like it going to set in here, I'm getting ready to fire up the stew pot again tomorrow.  The seafood creole turned out so well last week that I may have to make it again.  :)  Still have chili in the freezer, so we're pretty well good to go.

Hi

Have been lurking a bit, well not really have been busy and managed to get more done on a project that has been hanging over me for a few months--I really want to finish it so have to put in the time.

I am wondering what to do next, I have done back to back W30s and am seeing changes in my wardrobe (not for the past three weeks though), sleeping better, and generally happier. I have never had 'Tiger blood' but have had sustained energy throughout the day. All those things are brilliant but I do want to drop the weight. So do I carry on with another W30 or am I eating something now that is blocking further advancement? Any ideas? I am happy to carry on if it is just a matter of time, because I like eating this way and the NSVs are great.  

C-Cezaux I too have flappy upper arms and have been thinking about chair dips. Interesting how just hearing that someone else on a forum is doing chair dips and I'm now willing to start them up again. Kudos to you for all you've been through and keeping strong and beautiful! I'm inspired.

Today I'm beat. Had a doc appt this morning at 7:30 and have been going all day. Ate a very late breakfast of sausage hash with zucchini, red cabbage, a little sage and 1/2 a date and one fried egg in the middle. It was sooo good and it kept me satisfied until I went to work at 2. Didn't realize what time it was and didn't have time to eat beforehand. Why? Because I was CLEANING - and a little gardening too. Cleaned the kitchen, took garbage/recycling/compost out. Still not as clean as I'd like - want to deep clean kitchen - but it's clean. Pulled up the eggplant, harvested last of arugula and peppers.  

I then worked until 5:30 without eating anything else but a handful of mac nuts and a prune. By the time I had my BIG salad (chicken, bacon, egg, carrot, cabbage, almonds, heaping pile of greens, chopped prune, oo & lemon) I was famished. Now I'm home and am going to have another handful mac nuts and a couple more prunes. Then it'll be 7:30 and no more food after that. Sounds just about right to me today.

"You are a cloud and you will float away soon..." Love this image, bronnyd. I think I need to borrow it! 

Day 26. 

m1- Two eggs over easy in a nest of wilted spinach, leeks and tomatoes. 

m2- Grilled chicken, sweet potato with ghee (I think I'm hooked on these), a bit of almond butter and an apple. 

m3- Grilled chicken with wilted kale and a baked red potato with ghee. 

Good day. Barre class then home to more kitchen cleaning. Washed and dried four loads of clothes. I put away the last of my skull and bones decor and organized my Halloween closet. It's still raining here in SC, so keeping my floors clean with a yard full of free ranging chickens and two large dogs in and out the door is driving me a bit mad. I need sunshine. STAT. 

P.S. Pickle, if you're reading this, I'm hoping you're going to be back on your feet and feeling better soon. 

Thanks KSByer- I have been reading, but not posting much.  Took 2 days off work and have rested more than I have in years.  I did work yesterday and luckily had a very easy assignment.  Today I'm home and was just looking at the yoga schedule and realizing I should probably wait one more day.  Will opt for a long walk instead.  Still feeling crummy- definitely is viral tonsilitis.  Been sticking with the program though.  I've let almond butter become too regular and my coconut cream coffee (whizzed in the blender has a dreamy froth) has become a daily thing.  Going to not have these the last days of W30.

Miss Lindy- I too have been questioning those things.  I've decided to do a controlled re-introduction instead of continuing on with W30.  For now, I'm going to transition to a "Primal" diet and want to make it a long-term change.  I also still want to drop weight, but think it will have to be a long, slow process.  I want to do the re-introduction as it's said in the W30 book- going back to a series of W30 days whenever needed.  For you, I don't know!  Looking over the re-introduction process solidified it for me.

Have a great day everyone!

Misslindy, do you vary your food choices much?  I know I get comfortable sticking to the same dishes on a daily basis that I know are within guidelines and I can make in a batch.  Have been known to eat the exact same food for a week. (Ok, did NOT realize how much that recipe made before I decided to double it the first time I made it, lol)  But it seems to me, thinking back, that those are the times I kinda get stalled out on body changes.  Sometimes just eating something completely different to rev up my system gets me going again. I don't know if that's the case for you, but it's the only thing I can come up with just at the moment. :) 

For myself, I am on an extension of the program this time, added two weeks in before I want to do the slow roll reintroduction starting the week before Thanksgiving.  Which won't be as hard as it sounds, we are all doing the family thing at my folks this year - the whole fam damily.  We have multiple food allergies in the family so everyone is very aware of what is in each dish they bring and mom has been following my results in W30. (She just acquired It Starts With Food and The Whole 30 books, as a matter of fact!).  I've got a plan in place there so I don't dive into the heavy dishes face first.

I want to see if I can get by with using my honey (herbal tea season :) ) and if I will be able to return to having oatmeal or a good wheat free organic granola for breakfast again.  If those go well, I will attempt a wheat free bread and see how that goes, although I suspect I may have issues with yeast.  The vacation will bring some serious challenges as I try to hold the food choices to a celebration involving moderation  - hence the need for the next W30 after the first week of January.

Pickle, glad you're on the mend, don't overdo it just when you start to feel better. Give yourself that time to mend, you have permission!

Ksbyer, I feel you on those floors, lol.  I grew up on a farm in MO, I love the rain but still brings back memories of the smell of wet leaves, wet wool, and fresh mud. I will send sunny thoughts your way. :)

Ok, Bronnyd, the chair dip challenge is ON, lol.  I will try for more today.  Surely I can beat 5. :)

Cynthia, thanks for your ideas. I do eat the same everyday so will try a change up. It is so easy to just eat what I have prepared. Perhaps I will switch around especially breakfast. I love my egg-thingy and make enough for at least a week of breakfast, but could have it at lunch and have salad for breakfast--or fish and broccoli which I love. (I always feel a bit sad that is held up as a test to determine if you are really hungry or just wanting to eat--love fish and broccoli and I could eat it any time)

Your Thanksgiving sounds really doable with all the specifics everyone has no one will even know who is eating what!

Glad to hear you are getting better, Pickle but agree, don't rush it. Too easy for these nasty bugs to get a grip and come back.

Now, I am interested in the chair dip as well but will have to research how to do that. So that's one task for today.  Have Ghee cooking and made a roast pork last night so except for veg dinner is done for a few night. Will put some broth on later so will be stocked up with that for a week or so.

Thanks again for your help. 

Hello all - I'm mostly a lurker on here but I get the replies in my email, I just never log in to the thread to reply. I enjoy the group!

I just wanted to comment, about how some posters were discussing doing chair dips and some mentioned doing it every day. If you are looking to gain strength then you might want to do the dips every second day - by giving the muscles a rest day in between strength training you will give them a chance to repair and gain strength.  You could definitely exercise a different muscle group on the second days - legs (squats, lunges, step up are good body weight exercises) or back and biceps (since dips work triceps) with something like rows.

Anyways my Whole30 is going well. I did notice I eat mostly cruciferous veggies, I wonder if I should branch out - they don't cause me digestive harm, but would more variety be better? I eat kale in my egg bake every day and then some combination of 2 additional veggies at each meal, usually broccoli, sauteed cabbage, coleslaw, brussel sprouts, cauliflower... beets and squash too, then we cook with onions and tomatoes a lot - those are the only non-cruciferous in regular rotation in my diet. I like my veggie because they are cheap and in season, easy to prep, last a long time prior to cooking and when cooked, and taste yummy (usually with olive oil and salt). Is there any other veggies I should consider adding in??

Oh and I am going on to do Whole 60 but I will be weighing in on Day 30...I am tempted to weight in now, but I know not to. I won't be too disappointed in small weight loss, since I already have body composition changes - fitting smaller jeans, moving the belt notches! And energy!  And digestive happiness!  But must say Im nursing a 7 month old and carrying 25 pounds extra weight still so I want to see some movement on the scale. However I will definitely continue on even without weight loss - I know weight can be sticky for me when I'm nursing.  And on my first Whole 30 (pre this pregnancy) I lost 0 pounds but had great body composition gains. (I was at a pretty good weight anyway though).

Hi gang...Chair dips it is!!!...and every other day only. I have also been holding myself to 15 mins of yoga first thing every morning...along a my walks...but the arms need HELP.

I,m doing well and ready to be done for now....a slow roll intro is my plan and I would love the accountability of this group as w move forward. Can't imagine changing too much of what I do and don't do...and, Cynthia, I will certainly join you and probably several thousand others for a fresh Whole 30 in 2016, January.

Still feeling great and wanting to keep feeling this way for.ever.

At to go, everyone. Bronnyd....prune???

I will happily switch to every other day on the dips and alternate with a different target area.:-)

Merg,I also would like the continued support of the group, this is a great bunch and it's so much easier when I can bounce things off folks working towards the same goals and going through the same things. :-)

We rock....!

Hah we do rock! Yes to chair dips challenge C-Cezeux - I'm in! And every other day too - thank you Natalie! 

Pickles hope you're feeling way better. Viral tonsalitis sounds like noooo fuuuun. Wanted to throw out there that coffee/espresso makes blood vessels constrict and is not good for throat infections or colds in general. A sore throat is an indicator for me that I'm getting sick - and if I drink Espresso, it gets worse and does not go away. What if you just had tea and lemon water for next few days? Maybe that'll help kick whatever's ailing  ya.

Today was busy and good. Rainy and wet and I'm finally home after being gone most of the afternoon. Took a GREAT yoga class and it has stayed with me all day. I ate a good breakfast of sauteed greens (spinach, kale, beet leaf with root), ground sausage and two fried eggs. Didn't get to eat lunch until 4 when I got home. 

m2 BIG salad with 2 pieces bacon, 1/2 orange beet, pile-o-greens (arugula, spinach, lettuce, frisee, mesclun, mint) mac nuts, oo/lemon. I recently discovered mint in salads - it really gives it a wonderful burst of flavor!

Am staying home tonight - later am going to make dinner of fried chicken wings and spinach on the side. I allow myself to eat a later dinner on weekends. Think I'm getting old. Don't feel like going out tonight at all. Time for chair dips woohoo!

Day 27. I'm getting excited now that the end is approaching. I won't be continuing on with a strict W30 after Tuesday, but I may join you all in January. It's interesting how this meal template, this schedule, this companionship, and these chores add up to this wonderful, comfortable structure. And I'm going to miss it. So perhaps continuing along on our forum while on my reintro phase is a wise move. I still haven't read much about the next phase, but I have a feeling that I'm going to want my trusty egg skillet in the mornings and that eating a sandwich or hummus or so many of my past comfort foods is still going to mess with my head for a while. And as Pickle mentioned, sticking to a strict W30 every now and then for a few days sounds like a good idea. One practice that I want to increase and not leave behind is the idea of increasing the variety of the vegetables I eat. Like adding mint to my salad!

I walked the dogs today...in the pouring rain. Not exactly by plan, but a downpour surprised us. Later I organized my pantry and watched the Glen Campbell story-- very powerful -- and another wake up call in my journey toward better, hopefully preventative health choices. 

m1- Two eggs over easy with tomatoes and spinach. 

m2- Grilled chicken and wilted kale. Almond butter and an apple. Kombucha. 

m3- Grilled chicken with grilled broccoli, zucchini and sweet peppers with a sweet potato and ghee. Kombucha. 

I think my new sweet potato/white potato habit may need to be harnessed. I've noticed that I seem to be getting a last-minute belly that I could swear was smaller last week and I don't know why else this would be happening. Oh well, at least they're healthy whole foods. 

I feel like it's all downhill from here, Crew!!! Whhhheeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Hello everyone. A quick post before I go canoe the lake and get some exercise out of the way early. Been a whirlwind weekend with way too much driving, traffic, and bad weather. But the sun is out today and time to have some fun.

Chores: go thru the closets, garage, or other storage area and tidy, clean, straighten, or throw away.

Have a great day.

Dave

Hi

Have been doing a lot of reading and trying to decide my next step and think I will do the W30 autoimmune protocol and see if that shakes anything up. Am going to the doctor this week and will get a raft of blood work then see--I will weigh and measure there as well and see if anything has happened physically in the past 30 days.

I have a huge sadness however because I will no longer be able to have Ghee, green beans or eggs--they have all been my staples for the past 30 days! Never mind, I can do anything for 30 days as long as it is one day at a time.

NOW: these dips. HOLY COW, I have the strength of a starving kitten. I thought I was getting so much better--with bike riding, more walking, enthusiastic housework! Just goes to show ya'. Never count your chickens before they hatch!  Will keep working on them. We should start a thread called 'Dippers' and keep reporting in - just joking, really just joking, wouldn't that be horrible having to say I couldn't manage it at all? EEEEK!

Miss Lindy - sounds like you are on the right track with doing an AI W30.  Hopefully you will find out that you tolerate most of your favorites! Good luck at the MD.  And with your DIPS!!! 

I thought I didn't tolerate eggs but now I think it was either the cheese or the peppers I was always adding to them - go figure.  I don't think I'm ready to attempt a full blown AI W30 but my next W30 will be without nightshades at least.  With the holidays coming up I'll probably do some slow reintroductions and then do another W30 in January. It's amazing how when you take out foods that your body doesn't  like it gets easier to tell what messes with you.  A week ago I had a very painful hip injury and was taking a lot of NSAIDS.  Immediately had significant fluid retention, red blotches on face and digestion came to a halt.  As soon as I was able to back off on the NSAIDS everything resolved.  Before W30 I would have never thought those symptoms were from Ibuprofen or Alleve - always blamed everything on food.

Have really enjoyed following along with everyone for support; hopefully we can keep cheering each other along during reintroductions.  Two more days - Yay. And then the detective work starts.

Lol, weren't the dips a surprising challenge??  I went ahead and did them yesterday, did get more than I did the first time - not a lot, but more.  I managed 2 sets of 6.  I also reread the directions and brought out a mirror to see what I was doing.  I was definitely dipping down further than the 90 degree elbow, which I'm sure is what caused the muscle cramp.  Even so, proper form and all, they are wicked difficult! I had the day off from structured exercise today, mainly just out and about errand running and getting ready for next week.  I actually feel pretty odd about not exercising on my "day off."  It's gotten to be such a regular part of my day. :D

Misslindy, sounds like a plan on the AIP, will be curious to see how that goes.  I would definitely be sad without the eggs, they're so quick and easy.  And tasty. :) 

I am pretty fit, but do a babywearing boot camp class.  Once you master the dips you can up the ante by strapping 20 pounds to you and doing them! It is certainly a challenge!!! But if you don't have a baby to use as a weight an actual weight in your lap would work too...something to work up to.

On a Whole 30 note I love how when I go grocery shopping these days there is very little non-Whole 30 compliant stuff in the cart (for my husband and son), and what there is is not overly processed.  Mostly dairy, peanut butter, although got some gluten free bread for my preschooler today, he is a picky eater. My preschooler's favourite treats are 100% fruit snacks, cheese, and what we call "date almond crisp" but is homemade lara bars in balls.  I even found a recipe for some homemade fruit snacks I will try for him when I buy some gelatin. Oh and we made Yonanas today - non-compliant so I didn't have any of course but for a 3 year old it is good stuff.

Starting first Whole 30 tomorrow. Made breakfast and lunch for the work week today. I'm all about the sauces and dips and my mayo is soupy! Any suggestions?

Brandi

There is a suggestion to crack a new egg and redo the slow pour/blending process using the liquidy mayo in place of the oil.  I have not tried it myself though..

Archived