The Columbus Crew

dcducks1

I am pretty fit, but do a babywearing boot camp class.  Once you master the dips you can up the ante by strapping 20 pounds to you and doing them! It is certainly a challenge!!! But if you don't have a baby to use as a weight an actual weight in your lap would work too...something to work up to.

On a Whole 30 note I love how when I go grocery shopping these days there is very little non-Whole 30 compliant stuff in the cart (for my husband and son), and what there is is not overly processed.  Mostly dairy, peanut butter, although got some gluten free bread for my preschooler today, he is a picky eater. My preschooler's favourite treats are 100% fruit snacks, cheese, and what we call "date almond crisp" but is homemade lara bars in balls.  I even found a recipe for some homemade fruit snacks I will try for him when I buy some gelatin. Oh and we made Yonanas today - non-compliant so I didn't have any of course but for a 3 year old it is good stuff.

Once I get to a respectable number, I may try that, lol.  Oh gosh, I remember my baby carrying days well - My three were born within 5 years. :D  Now I'm looking forward to seeing my grand daughter over the holiday.

I have seen some "energy balls" in the health food department at our store that I want to try and make at home.  They are non-compliant because they are made with oatmeal and peanut butter, but I'm wondering if I could get away with using the larger flaked coconut and almond butter.  I will probably wait until reintroduction and try the oats to see if I do alright, though.  I have a label somewhere, peanut butter, oatmeal, dates, cocoa powder... don't remember if there was anything else or not.

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 28. I'm enjoying reading all of the posts tonight. I feel like I'm in a room full of friends.  :) Misslindy, you are a strong woman. I'm proud of you for doing the hard work day by day and being true to your body and your health. I read over the reintro steps today and my eyes are a little clearer now. I'm going to structure my lab work a little differently since I'll be away for two days (planning on typical template days) prior to coming home for a Friday night "date night" -- this will be a dinner with wine. I need more planning, but I'll lay out a two on, two off routine to test out foods. 

NatalieBA-- a babywearing boot camp class? Whoa. You don't mess around. 

Brandi, welcome. You've landed in a good place. I wish you all the best on this wonderful adventure. 

m1- Chicken sausage, cilantro, one egg over easy, ton o spinach, avocado. Apple. 

m2- Grilled chicken, shrimp, green peppers, onions, salsa, guacamole. 

m3- Fried chicken thighs, baked red potatoes, grilled broccoli. Kombucha. 

Dave, my house is looking so much better these days. Small steps are turning into big results. Thanks for pushing us. 

So nice to read all your posts - I like how KSByer put it - "like being in a roomful of friends".  Yes! And I got a great chuckle out of Misslindy's post about the dips. Really like the idea of a "Dippers" thread - but for now I'm staying here even though most peeps are done in just a few days. Bravo!!

So is the AIWhole 30 the Autoimmune Paleo diet? Like a W30 but with no eggs or nightshades and some spices? I've been thinking of doing that after finishing last dozen eggs. Already pretty much eating no nightshades except for the minipeppers from my garden. I'm willing.

Today was really busy again - had a nice tea at the Chinese Gardens downtown with a friend today and went shopping for my students and work clothes for me. Ack shopping for clothes takes a lot of work. I got some great deals though and kept within my meager clothes budget.

Ate ok today. 

m1 sausage hash with squash, spinach, two fried eggs and espresso (real treat as I only have espresso on weekends)

m2 two pieces bacon before taking off to tea - there, pickled daikon salad and tea :))

m3 homemade chicken wings and that's all. Full after that. No veggies. 

Chairdips - none today. My arms are a little sore from yesterday. I can do three sets of 10 with a downward dog/plank in between but don't know if I'm doing them right. Anybody have any video they can share? I could just look up on youtube. :)

Hi

Bronnyd: AI W30 is from this programme--and am sorry but don't know where to send you to find the shopping list. It will be obvious but I will have to look tomorrow, am falling asleep at the moment. (Another indication I have to switch something up! Can only go so long then have to lie down or I sleep where I am!) I am sure there is a Paleo version but I prefer to stick with this programme--don't want to have to learn something else and this one only requires I adjust a few things.

Those dips will be the death of me. I am not even going to report how badly I am at the execution at the moment. I end up laughing so hard I can't do much at all anyway, keep thinking of all of us, down aaaaaaaaaand up, down aaaaaand up!

Welcome Brandi.

So what is the plan when we have officially completed the 30 days--I have even forgotten when that is? Do we keep checking in here or do we start a new thread or what's the scoop?

Made some beef broth today, plus meat patties for the week and froze more of them so will have breakfast sorted for several days and not an egg in sight. Also stocked up on some lovely vegetables when I was in town so should be good to go for at least a week.  I really don't like the taste of Olive oil or just plain coconut so will have to just suck it up and be grateful I have it at all. Probably will both become my favourite things in a few days! Fickle hen aren't I?

Enjoy your evening/morning/day :)

KSbyer - glad you are feeling welcome here. We are all friends, helping each other along as we need it. A little bit of encouragement goes along way. The chores were an idea I threw in sometime last year and people seemed to like it so I stuck with it. It was a way for me to stay active and keep my mind off of thoughts of snacks and to whip my house into shape.

For this group, if my math is correct, tomorrow (Tuesday) is our final day which means the scales can come out on Wednesday. Lets all finish strong.

Dave

Starting first Whole 30 tomorrow. Made breakfast and lunch for the work week today. I'm all about the sauces and dips and my mayo is soupy! Any suggestions?

Brandi

My first batch turned out soupy too. I think I mixed it too long because I was trying to mix in the last of the oil after it had emulsified. Just made my second batch yesterday and it turned out great! I left the last little bit unmixed, and stirred it in gently. Oh--and I did the variation with the immersion blender both times, where you put all of the ingredients in the cup at once.

I missed Brandi's post yesterday - welcome Brandi!! I joined late in the game too and am doing this up to Nov 25.  Homemade mayo is about dripping the oil so that it breaks up with the watery egg. Here is a great article about making mayo. Mine too turned out watery the last time I made it - but I didn't drip the oil. 

Did a search and this is what I found for AIWhole 30. Great recipes! The only issue I have with AIWhole30 is - no mayo!! Maybe I'll allow mayo but no eggs. Still on the fence about this as eggs really aren't an issue for me - just was eating too many of them. Since cut back... But the recipes look fantastic.

Leaving a morning post as today is full and I'll be beat when I get home. 

My meals for today are:

m1 sausage and bacon hash with yellow zucchini, spinach, red cabbage and one fried egg, green tea (haven't been including that in my reports but its a given on the weekdays)

m3 Salmon and side salad (a friend gave me a pound of fresh caught salmon yesterday :) :)

m2 BIG salad with chicken, one piece bacon, avo, carrot, bit of raw beet, jicama, almonds, s/p, oo/lemon

Have a GREAT Monday, everyone! And CONGRATS on last stretch of another W30!

Brandi - welcome.  This was my first W30 too.  Now that I am almost on the other side of it it's a great feeling.  I never got the Tiger Blood but have other improvements and some good information to go on.  Nothing like using yourself as an experiment!  I only recently made mayo for the first time.  I watched a short video on Nom Nom Paleo that Michele Tam did using an immersion blender where you just put everything together in a mason jar and blend it.  It took me 3 tries but then it worked great.  For me the trick was making sure to pulse the blender and like NancyW said don't try to blend in the very last of the oil on top just gently stir it in after you take the blender out.  I used 1/2 melted coconut oil and 1/2 light olive oil then added some garlic and onion powder.  I'm not a huge fan of the taste of olive oil mayo so in one batch I tried using more coconut oil - doesn't work - got hard as a rock in the fridge!  Good luck.

MissLindy, I have a feeling it's a good thing we are not all in the same room trying to do the chair dips, lol.  With all the laughter going on, I doubt one of us would be able to complete the exercise. :D

Bronnyd and Brandi, I still have a few days left of my extension, so I'll still be here too. :)  Am hoping to see a reintroduction thread going to I can watch how everyone else is doing and pick up some tips before I hit it!  And, definitely going to be watching to see how MissLindy does with her AI, am thankful I don't have to go that next step.

I am curious to see how everyone's journey finishes.  I am always on the low end for the weight loss/body change, but SO happy with my NSV and getting any change this time was a bonus.  Just the way my system works, lol - we refer to ourselves as "easy keepers."  I'm continually astonished that I don't gain weight eating all the good food the program allows. 

Before I sign off for the night - where is Meadow??  Did I miss a post somewhere and she went on vacation?  I have become used to (and look forward to) the veteran members posts cheering us on and keeping us real - realized tonight it's been several days since we saw Meadow in public. :)

Hi

I have been missing MeadowLily too--where is she hiding? 

Also wonder if anyone is continuing to post in here? I will for a few days anyway and see how it goes. I am actually feeling different in only 24hours of starting the AI, didn't sleep that well last night so hopefully that passes soon. I am getting used to good sleep so will be very cranky if I don't get my rest.

The difference is subtle (I can hear you yelling, 'different, how!!!) not as much of an effort to do everything today and it feels like my metabolism has revved up, particularly after I eat. 

Talk later.

I've been wondering the same thing-- where's our first mate? I am missing Meadow's offbeat humor, music videos, poetic, and sage advice! I hope she shows up for graduation.  :D 

Misslindy, I was yelling, How??! :P  I need to read about the AI version. That's wonderful that your metabolism revved up. 

The rain has overstayed its welcome. It's bone wet and cold here and it feels like January. Actually, it's only 50 degrees, but somehow, it's painful to walk outside. Tiger blood is no match for this. I made it to barre class this morning and to the store to buy more veggies and La Croix. Very little work was accomplished. Mostly tried to ward off the psychosomatic chill. And tried not to slip up. I need so badly to make it through a few more meals so I can throw my arms up in the air and roar VICTORY. 

Day 29: Tomorrow, tomorrow, I'll love ya tomorrow, you're only a day away... 

m1- Omelette with chicken sausage, cilantro, red and yellow peppers, spinach. 1/2 an apple. 

m2- Almond butter. Apple. Small amount of grilled chicken, zuke, broccoli and pepper leftovers. 

m3- Grilled spicy shrimp with sauteed garlic, leeks, sweet onion, baby portabellas, and kale. Red potato with ghee. Red grapes. Kombucha. 

((((((((Group hug))))))) for all of you fellow W30's whose last day is tomorrow. One more day for the win. One more day and we can compile our Scale Victories and NSVs. One more day and we own the world. 

Well, today is the last day for my W30.  I appreciatted the support from this forum's members and the dedication of those that regularly posted and encouraged the group.  I wish everyone the best in their future health endeavors. (Stay active is my only advice - if you can do this diet, you can do most anything!)

Happy Last Day!  I am ready for this being the last day.  I'm ready to wait to eat breakfast till mid-late morning and I'm ready to add back in almond milk!

I'm still sick- crazy huh?  My voice is all craggy and I cough at night- energy level is about 75%; the success is that I'm getting through it without antibiotics and without a single throat lozenge, a sugary candy-like thang.  And I went to see my doctor yesterday and already received my bloodwork back.  I got a full panel right before starting W30.

triglycerides went from 63 to 30 (<149 is the goal)

total cholesterol went from 192 to 170 (<200 I was riding the line)

HDL 61 to 82 (>60 Also, right on the line)

LDL 118 to 90 (<100 Huge success as this number has been creeping up in the past few years)

My thyroglobulin Ab and thyrperoxidase Ab are about the same; these indicate the antibodies running around in my system that are attacking my thyroid.  And my free T3 and free thyroxine have actually dropped where they should have gotten higher due to the Nature-throid I've been taking.  Also I've begun taking bio-identical progesterone and testosterone and my progesterone levels were great now, where they were almost non-existent before.  But my testosterone levels were way high.  I wonder with the high testosterone and low thyroid if that explains why I'm hungry all the time and didn't lose weight.  I honestly don't even know if I'll get on the scale as I feel bigger than when I started. 

BUT those cholesterol levels are awesome!  I'm off to work today and the rest of the week. 

Thanks so much everyone for being helpful and supportive.  I'll check in again tomorrow!

Welcome Brandi!

Woohoo Pickles! Those lab results look awesome!! It's a process getting everything back in balance but your are surely doing it and big time on track! Sorry to hear you're still feeling sick. I went through same sort of long sick back in May during almost the whole Whole30. It was awful. But got through it and have stuck with almost primarily a paleo diet with very little sugar. It has helped a huge amount.

I've been dealing with a condition called SIBO and although I did get rid of it, it has a high rate of recurring esp. at the beginning while the gut is healing. I can tell it has been coming and going this year - my digestion is still a bit wonky. But when I think about it, I started my first W30 back in January 2015 and this year has been a HUGE learning experience. And I feel so much better. And I look a little better too. And I'm a little stronger - did those chair dips yesterday after work even though I was dead tired. I need to stick my feet out a bit more and make sure my arms go to 90 degrees, keep those shoulders down. Damn - that makes it just a bit more challenging. :P

Woke up this morning with a tummy ache and burpy gassy - a sign of SIBO returning. GAH! One day at a time. I think my meals are too large. Doc recommends eat small amounts, higher fat and as many veggies as I want. Mostly cooked. I've been eating a lot of raw salads and the SIBO bacteria likes raw food. I'll cut back on everything raw, cook/sautee/steam all my veggie from now on - maybe through the new year. I love crispy green salads - it's like a mean trick of the universe to say a salad is unhealthy for you!! But I know it's not a mean trick - it just is what it is. Friendly Facts. :)

One more thing to share then off to another full day! I've discovered persimmons! Wow - what a delectable fruit and it is low carb!! I've been watching my carbs as have discovered my body/gut lives better keeping them low.  That's what I had for breaky - a persimmons fruit and a handful of almonds. Green tea with a Tspn of coconut oil in second cup (first cup just the tea - I strain it twice).

Not sure what to eat for rest of day - probably salmon, sauteed spinach/zucch/cabbage/beet. Think I'll make a tuna/bacon salad for dinner. Mix some chopped steamed spinach in there. Good to-go meal. 

Have a great day everyone and stay real!

OH PS - Yes me too wondering where Meadows has gone? I LOVE your posts Meadows!! Please come back. xoxo

Months ago,  I stopped reposting all of  Tom Denham's greatest hits.  They're all  top notch. 

I followed his advice to a Texas Tee because I wanted to find weight stability. Some may try to combine all kinds of protocols and extreme diets with massive amounts of cardio followed by more thrill eating and more dialing it down even further.

That might work if you're 5'4" and weigh 138 lbs.   It doesn't work if you are 5'4" and topping out over 200 lbs. 

Here is your recipe for weight stability after your Whole 30.  You don't need to measure anything.  Absolutely nothing. 

After one compliant Whole 30 and only one is needed...there is no such thing as a Whole 365.   It doesn't exist because that is not reality.   

The very minute you eat one non-compliant food item,  your Whole 30 is over.   It is finished. It's done.  You can't call that a Whole 30 from that point on unless you are rigid, extreme and meticulously pushing yourself to remain compliant. That's not normal.

We all have to create our own plan going forward.  Don't let this scare you out of the room. The book has been written and I don't need to repost everything.   You can go back and look at dcducks previous threads to find all of  those for reference points.

I don't believe in extremes because they'll get you nowhere good.   In the beginning,  I didn't believe in myself enough to trust my judgment because of past history.  As the months went by I started to walk into this Whole 30 room with a lion or tiger's confidence.  I would shake my mane a few times and show my teeth.   Courage came with every passing month.

Now I'm no longer standing at the door.   I have reached weight stability but there is no such thing as the FINISH LINE when it comes to our health and overall well being.  

I've Got Friends In Low (carb) Places.   My own positive food management plan includes a lorra lorra fish.  Don't believe the hype.  Eat Yourself Beautiful With Fish. 

I'm embraced all of the healthy from the Whole 30 pioneers who've gone before me.  

I resist fads and over-restriction and over-hyped anything.   I do.  

I resist insulin....Oooo, yes, I do.   I kicked T2 to the curb.  

Nothing is impossible.   The word tells you so.  

I'm Possible

Your dreams can come true if you'll listen to the voice of reason and not be led astray by every wind of whimsey.   It takes good old common horse sense and a willingness to listen to someone like Tom Denham.   He helped me reach my dream.   His advice is sound and proven.   He speaks the truth.   I can handle the truth. 

Tom Denham

Whole9 Moderator/First Whole30 May 2010

• photo-thumb-6.jpg?_r=1447088139
  • Moderators
  • w9team.png
  • 6725 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, Georgia, USA

No diet or lifestyle change you have tried in the past got you lasting results, so obviously counting calories is not a good thing. You also do not need to concern yourself with whether you are hitting arbitrary macro nutrient numbers either. In fact, this is another measurement to forget about during a Whole30. Our guide is the meal template. If you eat a palm-size portion of animal protein, a thumb-size portion of fat, and a plate full of veggies at every meal, you will meet all the needs your body has. There is no reason to use MyFitnessPal except to stay in bondage to a failed system that has not helped you in the past. Don't do it! Don't weigh yourself. This has not made you successful in the past. We believe weighing yourself undermines learning to listen to your body and keeps you from success. Don't weigh yourself at all for 30 days. You absolutely cannot blend elements from your dieting past with the Whole30 and get the best results. At best, you slow or reduce your potential of success and at worst you completely eliminate your potential. Trust us on this. Our rules and guidelines are not casual suggestions based upon a whim. Every element is thoughtfully designed to get you somewhere that you really need to go. 

"Friends In Low Places"

Blame it all on my roots 
I showed up in boots 
And ruined your black tie affair 
The last one to know 
The last one to show 
I was the last one 
You thought you'd see there 
And I saw the surprise 
And the fear in his eyes 
When I took his glass of champagne 
And I toasted you 
Said, honey, we may be through 
But you'll never hear me complain 

'Cause I've got friends in low places 
Where the whiskey drowns 
And the beer chases my blues away 
And I'll be okay 
I'm not big on social graces 
Think I'll slip on down to the oasis 
Oh, I've got friends in low places 

Well, I guess I was wrong 
I just don't belong 
But then, I've been there before 
Everything's all right 
I'll just say goodnight 
And I'll show myself to the door 
Hey, I didn't mean 
To cause a big scene 
Just give me an hour and then 
Well, I'll be as high 
As that ivory tower 
That you're livin' in 

'Cause I've got friends in low places 
Where the whiskey drowns 
And the beer chases my blues away 
And I'll be okay 
I'm not big on social graces 
Think I'll slip on down to the oasis 
Oh, I've got friends in low places 

[3rd Verse:]
I guess I was wrong 
I just don't belong 
But then, I've been there before 
And everything is alright 
I'll just say goodnight 
And I'll show myself to the door 
I didn't mean to cause a big scene 
Just wait 'til I finish this glass 
Then sweet little lady 
I'll head back to the bar 
And you can kiss my ass

Hi

I have been missing MeadowLily too--where is she hiding? 

Also wonder if anyone is continuing to post in here? I will for a few days anyway and see how it goes. I am actually feeling different in only 24hours of starting the AI, didn't sleep that well last night so hopefully that passes soon. I am getting used to good sleep so will be very cranky if I don't get my rest.

The difference is subtle (I can hear you yelling, 'different, how!!!) not as much of an effort to do everything today and it feels like my metabolism has revved up, particularly after I eat. 

Talk later.

I will continue to post in here for awhile yet, still on my program. :)  I'll bet you really start feeling better about 3 days into your AI.  I say that because every time I eat wheat it makes me really, really tired.  I also build up excess fluid everywhere, feels like I suddenly developed a case of bronchitis and water on the <every joint> It takes about 3 days to work out of my system.  My mom is worse with dairy, she can barely walk for 3 days if she accidentally gets some in her food.  Also about three days on recovery.

Welcome back Meadow! :D  That's one of my favorite Garth Brooks songs, lol.  You hit on one of the things I truly love about this program - it finally convinced me that I DON'T have to measure everything, count every calorie, and deprive myself of anything that tastes good if I want to be healthy and a decent size. :)  As a fellow former member of the Short Round Girl club (5' 3.5" lol and topped out well over the 200lb mark, sadly) I salute you!!

Congratulations to everyone is finishing up today! Job well done!  To those continuing on, hold the course.  We can do it, you've invested too much to throw yourself away now. :)

I don't count or measure anything.   That includes steps or miles or calories or pounds or macros or micros or mackerels.   When you get off of that merry-go-round for good, everything within your being rejects being held hostage in that way. 

One question.  If you've lived your life that way and you've been doing that for a number of years...where has it got you today?   If you are standing in the same exact place and have not moved any closer to your optimum setpoint or place of overall well being....then Houston, it's time to get off that merry-go-round and throw all of those handy-dandy measuring devices in the bin.   

If you haven't moved forward and your relationship with food is in exactly the same place that it was many years ago...time to listen to the authors and pioneers of Whole 30 success and find stability.

Weight stability matters.   You know how a hoarder's house is a reflection of what's going on in the brain...so is a body that is yo-yo-ing all over the place.   Wild swings UP and down and all around.

Stability is a sign of healing.   It's the glue that holds you together. 

Embrace FOOD FREEDOM and freedom from measuring every move you make and every breath you take.   It is a sign of  true healing. 

I believe in signs. 

Archived