The Columbus Crew

dcducks1

C_Cezeaux - I recently have gotten into using plantains too.  Would you mind to share the recipe you came up with?

I do not remember the name of the original recipe using green plantains, but I followed it faithfully except for using a yellow plantain.  I was quite surprised when I ended up with an end product more suitable as a breakfast food than a cracker or "bun."  If you're fighting sugar dragon at the moment, I wouldn't advise trying this just yet, they're very good.  And suitable for spreading almond butter on.

The make my altered version, all you need is 2 yellow plantains, coconut oil, and a little salt and/or cinnamon for seasoning.  Something to put on top when they're done is entirely your choice, lol.

Heat the oil over med-high heat until the surface is glossy and slick looking (they called for an inch of oil to deep fry in but I usually only use about a 1/4 of that at most) - while the oil is heating remove the peel from the plantain and cut into quarters.  Fry each quarter until it is browned on all sides - keep a close eye on them because yellow plantain will burn quick!  Remove from oil and drain on paper towel.  Place each browned section on end between layers of parchment paper and flatten with heavy pan.  Return to oil, browning both sides (again, keep a close eye on them, they go quick).  Remove from oil, place on paper towel, sprinkle with salt/cinnamon. Serve immediately. 

I have kept them for the next meal and I like them cold also.  They get a nice crispy outside and the ripe plantain stays soft and almost breadlike on the inside.  If you do the same thing with green plantains it makes almost a flatbread kind of "bun" replacement for small sandwiches. :)

On your joint issue with the dairy - my mother is severely allergic to dairy.  She started off lactose intolerant and dealt with it alright for years.  However, after a bout with West Nile, she soon discovered the problem had gotten terribly worse.  We don't know if it got worse because of the West Nile or if it was just unhappy coincidence, but now she can't tolerate ANY form of dairy.  Including casein, which is added to so many foods.  If she gets regular butter on her skin it causes her pain.  Her joints, particularly knees, become so painful that she can barely walk to the bathroom and back.  It takes about three days for the ill effects to wear off.

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't remember if I asked you about plantains - do you like them or have you used them?  I did not know there was so much difference between green plantains and the riper yellow plantains the first time I used them, lol.  But it did create a happy accident "recipe" that I will be making for my folks during the breakfast I'm making for them on Thanksgiving.  I don't think my dad will even know he's not eating a bread type substance. :)

Re; Plaintains - yes, the green vs. ripe ones are night and day!  We have always been big eaters of plantains, and actually have cut back in recent years as we went lower carbs - but still love us some plantains.

The greener plantains we prepare more like potatoes usually boil them, eat them with some kind of sauce or tomato based stew.  (We cook a lot of Ghanian style food). The ripe ones can be boiled too, but will be much sweeter and softer, or you can fry them and they are quite nice.

But there are so many ways to eat them - I went to Ghana and ate plantains probably a dozen ways! Mashed, roasted, fried as chips...etc, etc. 

Guess what? Even though Michelle Tam from NomNom paleo can eat ONE square of dark chocolate a day, I.CAN.NOT.

The chocolate test is DONE...only after making myself feel sorta sick after powering down half a bar of the dark stuff...UGH.

Meadow, you are so right about the thrill eating and its costs. I am listening and learning.

Lindy, is the AI protocol anywhere? I looked for it, but obviously not in the right places.

Cheers, all.

Guess what? Even though Michelle Tam from NomNom paleo can eat ONE square of dark chocolate a day, I.CAN.NOT.

The chocolate test is DONE...only after making myself feel sorta sick after powering down half a bar of the dark stuff...UGH.

Meadow, you are so right about the thrill eating and its costs. I am listening and learning.

Lindy, is the AI protocol anywhere? I looked for it, but obviously not in the right places.

Cheers, all.

merg, I'm in the same boat as you with the chocolate. And it's so easy to rationalize dark chocolate because of the health benefits. Still, bad idea...very bad idea for me.

Cheers, all.

Some things are not easy to find, and I couldn't remember where I found information so have had to go searching again. There is so much information here and I spent an entire day trawling through posts--Man, I learned a huge amount but sadly didn't find what I was looking for so had to keep trawling. It is all good info I think and necessary but just a lot of it.

The AI protocol is in 'It Starts with Food', chapter 21 pg 236. I also found  in Whole30 101,(in drop down list in 'The Whole 30', at the top of the page) the shopping list to download.

That is basically what I am going by and if you decide to do it would love, love, to have company. I am not sure I am doing it as it should be but am sticking very strictly to what is allowed. And it is not that much different to the regular W30 but am missing some things that were my go to foods. 

When we think about diabetes, we think about sugar – too much sugar, not enough sugar, glucose levels. If we're not familiar with diabetes because of family history or in our own lives, it can be confusing.

Type 2 diabetes is the most common form of diabetes. Many may not even know they are at risk. An individual who engages in binge eating, may not know that there is a direct correlation between type 2 diabetes and binge eating.

Dieting and then going a thrill eating full blown food bender...

Doing this,  repeatedly...over and over and over - you build layers of fat inside your belly.   Losing the same 10 lbs over and over -  extreme dieting and quick weight loss and then rebounding with a binge that brings every pound back on....builds layers of fat each time you do this to yourself.

You may end up looking skinny but the damage is still inside and around your organs.  

Skinny Fat. The quality of the food ...independent of the calories.  Eating junk will put on junk around your middle – even if it is invisible.  We call the fat inside the belly “VAT” or visceral adipose tissue.

Remember this.   It's valuable advice. 

Whole9 Moderator/First Whole30 May 2010

• photo-thumb-6.jpg?_r=1403697759
  • Moderators
  • w9team.png
  • 5238 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, Georgia, USA

The success you are achieving with your Whole30 is money in the bank that you need to spend on additional improvements.

You know how to use food as a safe haven, but have you learned how to apply other skills to achieve a safe haven?

- Walking away from destructive situations. Enlisting appropriate help. Emotional self-soothing. A lot of us need to spend a few years in a counseling or therapy relationship to develop these skills. Our families did not teach us how to manage our lives in a healthy fashion.

You can't learn it from a book or develop it from watching functional families on TV. We need face to face relationships with people who can help us develop skills that were missing where we got our start in life. Like a lot of things, it starts with food, but there is more work to do. You really can do it.

Don't forget to reach out to another human, sit down face to face with someone who can professionally help you develop the skills that are needed...appropriate help.

Groundhog Day is doing the same things over and over for decades and ending right back at square one.   Binge eating and dieting leads to diabetes and dis-ease. 

You see,  there's so much good advice that's been given to everyone over the years.  Go back to dcducks threads. I used to repost all of Tom's greatest hits.   I did that because these are the keys to success that I never want to forget.   I tucked them away for a rainy day, sunny days and days when you're faced with making good decisions and walking away from another binge.

Another binge is not a cure for a food addiction. 

Now, here's the 'magic'.   I followed this piece of advice to a Texas Tee, too.

Whole9 Moderator/First Whole30 May 2010

• photo-thumb-6.jpg?_r=1403697759
  • Moderators
  • w9team.png
  • 4927 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, Georgia, USA

You can't lose weight looking at the scale every day. It scares the fat when you check frequently and it holds on tighter. 

I'm kind of joking and I am also completely serious. 

And increasing your workouts from 3 hours to 5 hours per week means you have seriously disturbed your system. It is not going to release fat until it knows you will feed it enough to support the extra work. You did start eating more when you upped the number of workouts, didn't you? And you increased the amount of time you devote to active recovery? All this matter.

"You can't lose weight looking at the scale every day. It scares the fat when you check frequently and it holds on tighter. 

I'm kind of joking and I am also completely serious."

This is a gold nugget of truth.  It does scare the fat and your brain when you jump on the scale every day.  It scares the fat when you are constantly measuring any and everything and using every gadget of technology to guage your fat.  

The body, mind, spirit connection.  Two of those are going to fight one another for dominance.  Alpha and Beta glucose.  

Alpha and Beta and Omega dynamics.

Don't measure anything.  Do not get on the scales.

Follow this to reach your optimum setpoint.  Your setpoint may be overall health and well being.   If you want to find your proper weight setpoint, it's the only way.  

I did one more thing.   It's very personal and part of my own positive food management plan.  Follow The Yellow Brick Road. One day,  we'll compare notes and you can tell me if the same revelation fell into your lap.

There are some secrets we need to hide in our heart.  It lets the air out of the bag, takes the wind out of our sails and others may rain on your parade.

There are some times we need to guard our hearts and protect them. With help, you can reach your dream.  Weight stability is my new normal.  

Aw, Merg and NancyW, I am sad to hear of the chocolate issue.  I too am hoping I can have the one square of dark chocolate a day without causing an issue.  We'll see in a few days, won't we?  If it has to go, it has to go though.  I should still be able to get health benefits by making chocolate chili and using the cocoa nibs, right? :D

I am astonished at all the different ways you can cook plantains!   I never even thought of boiling... I've got plantain research to do, lol.  Obviously, I still have work to do on my food attitude as far as being creative and thinking "outside the box" - isn't it ironic that it has taken a program of elimination to start opening my eyes to all the good food that I CAN eat that makes me feel oh-so-much better than all that so-called convenience food?  What is convenient about feeling bloated, draggy, achy, fuddled, and too tired to move? 

I am continually amazed at how much I enjoy this program once I get past the first week.  And, hopefully with each round of knowledge I acquire and habits I set into place those future first weeks will not be so bad.  I know this time was SO much better than the first time, lol. 

Hi All! wow so many posts to peruse through - that's awesome.

First, Merge, I wanted to respond to your reintro post from a couple days ago (I think)  and yesterday - I SO hear you on the pull toward wine and chocolate. Merge, your post about the chocolate made me chuckle - I HAVE BEEN THERE and still ocasionally go there.  Some days it's almost a constant conversation with the voice in my head that says oh just one glass .. or .. a couple glasses won't hurt you .. or.. just one piece of chocolate .. or .. just one more piece won't hurt .. many many times i've given in to that voice to discover ... it doesn't stop. Especially when I entertain it, meaning give into it.

Just get back up on the horse and keep trotting!! What's done is done. 

I really do think those little microbes that feed off he choc and wine in our guts want to stay alive and will feed our brain with ideas and cravings that will feed them, keep them thriving. Sorry, little microbes, I know about you and I refuse to succumb to your whispers.

Today I surrender but not succumb. Giving in to that voice is succumbing. Letting that voice go and continuing on my path even after mistakes and snafus is surrendering. Surrender = hearing the voice and letting it go = willing to learn = learning = true growth and awareness. 

I sound a little like Meadowlilly today. :) :) :) Speaking of which, WOW, Meadowlilly, I LOVE that post about "scaring the fat" which makes it hold on tighter. YES fear is that way. I am working on coming from a place of open awareness and strength rather than fear. Some days are better than others but for me it's a gradual letting go and opening. Thank you for that reminder. Really cool.

Thank you for that plaintain suggestion and all those recipes, bpaitsel, Natalie and c_cexeau. I love plaintains. Haven't had them in a long while. Have to watch it with them though - like avocado - they can trigger my SIBO. But I can try it an see after this W30. 

Can't remember who asked about the persimmons - first I've been eating the Fuyu and just eat it in chunks like an apple. Yesterda I bought a few Hachiya and they are ripening in a bag. They are supposed to get plump like a water balloon to almost bursting and then they'll be ready. I've seen on video people just eating it right out of the skin like custard - and also making it into a custard. Can't wait to try! The Fuyus are awesome though.

Today, I had bacon and eggs for breaky. No spinach - forgot until already downed the m1. Will have lots of veggies for lunch and dinner with maybe sardines and pickles. :)

Have a great Saturday everyone!

We know each other pretty well by now.   :D  Oh mercy my.   :lol:  Where else can we visit about our food relations for months on end. 

And where is that Old Hiker, anyway. He was a real hoot and enjoyed Hutlifr's company.  Where is she today.  The uproar over there.   :( 

The regulars have gone missing.  

Bronnyd, thanks to you I bought my first persimmon ever. Figured out to peel it, and ate about half of one. really good! Wasn't sure how squishy they should be when you buy them, so I went with avocado like firmness and hops for the best.

Very nice.

Lindy, you are remarkable taking in the AI...id really have to do some rethinking to eliminate eggs, but maybe that is also in my future.

Hey everyone: today I got a box from Thrive market with a magazine sort of thing, including an article on inflammation. Most of the article seemed consistent with W30, but they advised against red meat...REALLY? Anyone know if red meat is inflammatory??

Bronnyd, thanks to you I bought my first persimmon ever. Figured out to peel it, and ate about half of one. really good! Wasn't sure how squishy they should be when you buy them, so I went with avocado like firmness and hops for the best.

Very nice.

Lindy, you are remarkable taking in the AI...id really have to do some rethinking to eliminate eggs, but maybe that is also in my future.

Hey everyone: today I got a box from Thrive market with a magazine sort of thing, including an article on inflammation. Most of the article seemed consistent with W30, but they advised against red meat...REALLY? Anyone know if red meat is inflammatory??

Hi Merg

I am not that remarkable just want to make some changes, I feel so much better with the W30 but something isn't right so this was the next logical step - especially considering my medical challenges! 

Persimmons are brilliant--my friend has a couple trees so I have several bags of them in the freezer. They are so so nice. I like them when they are crunchy like apples.

Red meat is blamed for many many things and I am sure just one is causing inflammation, what they don't tell you is the negative effects are hugely if not completely counteracted by large amounts of vegetables. Who eats large amounts of vegetables? We do. Enjoy your red meat, IMO.

Salmon for M1 today and it was delicious, I am going to have to stock up on that and fill the freezer. It is so so so good. And I had the sweet potato gratin with my other vegetables. A spoonful of that goes a long way.  And M2 was leftover salmon and a huge salad. So I expect I shall be swimming up stream shortly.

Night all.

Thank you so much. I will check it out.

Did check it out and lots of great information, have downloaded several items. I feel more sure of the direction now, and she says this is best to do for three to four months so will not expect huge changes externally while the internal process is happening. 

My very active/needy/loving/hyper/silly/whiny/sweet/charming/overly-energetic nieces (10 & 8) are with me this weekend. Nuff said. I must sleep now. Re-read all of the recent posts. Lots of energy in here-- lots of joy even in the midst of personal, sometimes painful revelations. This is a great sign. Our minds are open and receptive.  :D Hip hip hooray for us. 

P.S. Pickle, are you still with us? How are you? 

Hi Merg

I am not that remarkable just want to make some changes, I feel so much better with the W30 but something isn't right so this was the next logical step - especially considering my medical challenges! 

Persimmons are brilliant--my friend has a couple trees so I have several bags of them in the freezer. They are so so nice. I like them when they are crunchy like apples.

Red meat is blamed for many many things and I am sure just one is causing inflammation, what they don't tell you is the negative effects are hugely if not completely counteracted by large amounts of vegetables. Who eats large amounts of vegetables? We do. Enjoy your red meat, IMO.

Salmon for M1 today and it was delicious, I am going to have to stock up on that and fill the freezer. It is so so so good. And I had the sweet potato gratin with my other vegetables. A spoonful of that goes a long way.  And M2 was leftover salmon and a huge salad. So I expect I shall be swimming up stream shortly.

Night all.

misslindy, how do you prepare your salmon? I've tried it at home a couple of times, and haven't liked it much. And the only times I've had it in restaurants, it's been covered in a sugar-laden glaze. Would love to eat more of it if I could only figure out what to do with it!!! SO proud of you on your progress!

Archived