The Columbus Crew

dcducks1

I can't add much to the wonderful advice given by the other ladies, just wondering if there is Respite Care in the area?  With you caring both, I'm assuming you will not be working outside their home, so you should definitely qualify.  You are going to need a break, some down time, and a chance to breath in peace.  Also, if you have been heavy on the sugar, you could really use the extra help especially in the first week as you kick the sugar dragon.  Be sure to read the timeline and be prepared for it, it's no joke!  (Spoken as one who rolled her eyes at it the first time and failed to eat the necessary protein and fat to carry me through the first week.  It almost knocked me out until clever moderator clued me in.)

I do know i will be right there with the sugar dragon. Dont start until monday but i have stopped drinking the sodas. coffee with truvia and cream stayed so i may be ranting the first week or so! LOL! i remember how it was in july. But, I truely feel that I will need to stay with this way of eating most of my life. Just too many issues going on with my body.

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I am not letting the lastest setback kill my plans. Woke up this morning to a nearly dead fridge. Just means i will be getting my raw proteins in the morning at the grocery store and cooking them for the day and sticking them in the freezer on sunday when i do a big cook up. Will keep the scotch eggs raw and frozen and just cook one at a time. No big deal just more time in the kitchen. Hopefully, the man will look at it and order the part on tuesday then by next monday it should be fixed. Yes i learned from the time in july that they never carry extra parts on the repair truck even though you tell them its the same exact issue from beffore. wonderfull......and yes that was said witth sacrscam

Hi September 1sters, good to see you all here, and glad to hear about your success! I'm all in for Monday; doing basic prep tomorrow (shopping, mayo, roasting, etc.)

I have had some experience being the sole caretaker for my grandmother who deteriorated quickly with Alzheimer's. It's truly a labor of love. Eating Real Food will also be offering love to ourselves. Stick with us here for support!

Hey Columbus Crew. I'm super excited to join you all! This will be my second Whole 30. I've done a few shortened versions since my first one last year. Really looking forward to the camaraderie. I would love! to make it to day 30!!!

Erikka

Hi Everyone!

I was also part of the sept 1st group. I didn't do a formal reintroduction because I really didn't have any desire to bring all those old foods back into my life again. I figured if I did eat any of it it would be more of a one off than anything else. I've stayed 95% complaint since October 1st. Of the things I did try introducing I realized I didn't miss any of it. I love this way of eating and I love the way it makes me feel.

My big focus for the month will be creating an exercise routine. Exercise seems a bit easier with my newfound energy, but consistency is still a major issue for me.

It's great to see familiar faces and to meet more amazing like minded people!! It's going to be a great month!!

Hi 

Lovely to see so many familiar (?) faces here from September.

I have been struggling a bit these past few days. I am doing as I should but feeling like I am gaining weight and am not pleased with that. I was starting to feel so much lighter. Must be I have to adjust things but not sure what. Anyway am being compliant and even did a bit of exercise today so things are not all bad :)

I am so grateful to have this forum - does help to focus. Thanks to you all. 

Hi everyone really excited to join everyone on this journey. This will be first whole 30. I am hoping if I sort out my eating I can put an end to all the health issues I have been having this year! A year ago I was diagnosed as a coeliac and since then I have had one issue after another despite being on a gluten free diet. All I believe are being caused by inflammation in my body.

Anyways, looking forward to hearing how everyone is getting on! :-)

I'm IN!

This will be my first time doing a Whole30, and I'm feeling a mixture of excitement and, to be honest, some apprehension. But, I'm prepping today, planning my meals and going food-shopping. I've brought my wife into the mix in so-much as she understands what I'm doing (and more importantly why), and she's totally supportative. But by and large I'm going solo on this mission, so I'm glad to have found the Columbus Crew.

Good luck to us all!

- Matt from Austin

Hey!

I'd love to join you guys! All set to start tomorrow (Oct 12). This will be my second W30, I did one last year and felt fantastic, however didn't do the reintroduction phase and have slipped back into old habits. Have attempted 3 times in the last few months to do a W30 but have been flaking out before the first week is over (mostly due to not being prepared!). However this time I have planned and prepped and am feeling determined B)

Not surrounded by much support, the Whole 30 seems to be a much bigger thing over in the States than it is here in Bonnie Scotland, so would be fab to have some encouragement! The positivity in this thread is amazing!!

Laura

Hi!  This is my first Whole30.  I've been starting and stopping for the last week.  I have this bad habit of telling myself I'm starting tomorrow.  In fact, I planned to start today, then I found this forum and told myself, "I'll start tomorrow with The Columbus Crew."   :)    

My Whole30 goals:  

• Focus on living life, not dieting
  • Keep it simple
  • Nourish and honor myself with real food and plenty of water.  
  • Sweat
  • Sleep
  • Relax about the process
  • 30 days straight no stopping

Thank you for creating this group!

SLW

All, I'm back home after a fantastic weekend adventure with good friends. Welcome to everyone who has joined in while I was away!

Everyone - get the measurements, weigh ins, before pics taken care of today or first thing this morning. We "set sail for a new world" tomorrow! 

Have a great afternoon.

Dave

LV8, welcome...and may you be blessed with unexpected grace at every turn. That you came to this place for help shows your innate wisdom, and that knowing of yourself...and cherishing of Your well being will get you through.

I'm not taking this lightly...the road you are on is treacherous and rocky. Caregiving for parents is a BIG and snarky mission, but one that is also sacred. You have what it takes to live through this chapter in your life, and clean eating, exercise, and the whole9 approach will hold you on the earth...and so will we.

The good news about your recent past eating habits is how much of a HUGE change you will feel as you move through the Whole30. The challenges will be huge too...but you already have the awareness that, what Meadow Lily called thrill eating...and what many of us also know as comfort eating really provides neither thrill nor comfort...at least not for more than five minutes...and with a lifetime of bad results.

I just finished earlier this year caring for my mother with dementia...and I completed my first whole 30 while I did it. I found the structure of the program and the fabulous support of the forum so important to me. Didn't take away the pain of my experience, but helped me know I was strong enough to ride that wave until it reached the shore

So, welcome. Do what you can to get ready, even away from your kitchen. Roast some veggies, gather recipes from the forum and make big batches of meals that will sustain you...and get ready to kick that sugar dragon to the curb.

Merge -- I am speechless -- such a beautiful, inspiring, courageous post. I just can't thank you enough. Melissa says on the website that coffee without cream *is not hard* -- battling cancer *is hard.* In a strange way, I feel like the intensity of my life right now is actually helping me to put dietary changes in perspective. Like Dave said, I'm not starving. I may be hungry, cranky, lonely, bored, exhausted, whatever -- but I'm never without the ability to make choices. And as you so eloquently put it -- it won't take away the pain of my experience, but it will help me to know I am strong enough to ride that wave... Wow. Again, my heartfelt thanks.

Hi Everyone-

I'm on board!  This is my first Whole30. 

Been preparing and I'm looking forward to starting.  Recently got diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroidities and know that eating Paleo will really help.  Been gluten-free for a couple weeks, but know that the Whole30 will be a great kick-off for long-term Paleo eating.

I'm a nurse and work 12.5-hour shifts so I'll be cooking for my week tomorrow.  :)

LV8nTheVibe-->I can't top mergthemagnificent's beautiful post; I'm more of a Martha than a Mary. I've been through eldercare (and from a distance) with both parents, now gone from cancers, so I can't fully appreciate the strain of Alzheimer's.  Anyhow, here goes Mary. First, sources of respite care. Siblings? Neighbors? Church volunteers? Paid adult day care? How large a town are you in? There should also be some sort of county office for the aging.  You need a break, if not every day, at least several times a week. You don't say how far away you are from your own home, but arrange a longer stint of coverage and go home and get your kitchen stuff, at least the portable things. Pans, slow cooker, good knives, etc. Next, would your parents eat at least some of the same food that you're fixing for yourself?? This might be tricky, because you don't want them throwing food at you, if a new dish creates anger. Next, talking with them. Get them talking about their past, and take notes. You might find yourself trying, after they're gone, trying to remember some odd bit of family lore that you JUST KNOW mom would have known. Both my mom and an aunt that I had responsibility for had minor dementia. I got to a place where I could turn the repeated stories into a ritual, like a litany. It helped. Also, my aunt ended up in a nursing home. I made a simple scrapbook, one thought and one photo on a page, where she was born, her siblings, her job, her travels, etc, for the staff to have available to chat with her.

Blessings to you. We're here, even if all you want to do is vent.

Thank you so much for all the wonderful suggestions, Ceil -- I especially love the scrap book idea. We've looked at photos, but I love the idea of the one thought & one photo per page book for visitors and staff -- that's fantastic! I'm about 10 hours away (by car) from home, but I'm pretty resourceful, and hallelujiah (yes, it's a miracle!) -- there is a slow cooker here! :) Thank you again for your wise words & support.

I can't add much to the wonderful advice given by the other ladies, just wondering if there is Respite Care in the area?  With you caring both, I'm assuming you will not be working outside their home, so you should definitely qualify.  You are going to need a break, some down time, and a chance to breath in peace.  Also, if you have been heavy on the sugar, you could really use the extra help especially in the first week as you kick the sugar dragon.  Be sure to read the timeline and be prepared for it, it's no joke!  (Spoken as one who rolled her eyes at it the first time and failed to eat the necessary protein and fat to carry me through the first week.  It almost knocked me out until clever moderator clued me in.)

Thanks so much, C -- we're getting some supports in place, it's just taking so much longer than I anticipated. My mom resists any and all help, so that's been a real challenge. Baby steps. I am planning to be really extra super good to myself this week as I detox from all the crapola I've been eating since I got here. I'll be cranky & tired, but I know it'll pass -- I just gotta hang in there for the tiger blood. Thank goodness for clever moderators. :)

Hi Everyone-

I'm on board!  This is my first Whole30. 

Been preparing and I'm looking forward to starting.  Recently got diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroidities and know that eating Paleo will really help.  Been gluten-free for a couple weeks, but know that the Whole30 will be a great kick-off for long-term Paleo eating.

I'm a nurse and work 12.5-hour shifts so I'll be cooking for my week tomorrow.  :)

Hi, Pickle -- I have non-Hashimoto's thyroid disease (hypo) and despite medication, I feel LOUSY. The docs keep telling me my numbers are in range, but I'm still exhausted, brain-fogged, and my hair's falling out. In reading about dietary interventions, I came across info about AIP. I didn't feel quite ready for a change that drastic, so I am starting with a Whole30 to see how I'll feel. We can do this! :)

I am in too. This is my first whole 30, and I started today ( I am some hours ahead of you...living in New Zealand).
I always did a fast around spring time (yes, it is spring here), and this year I decided to try the whole 30. And I am happy for the extra support. I do eat generally heathy on my main meals, but have a really problematic relationship with sugar loaded snacks inbetween since I was a child (and therefore being overweight my whole life).

It's so great to see so much support on this board!  I'm getting ready to start my 2nd Whole30 tomorrow, but it's been about 2 years since my first, and I have slipped back into a lot of bad habits over the past few months.  After a few false starts this summer, I'm really looking forward to sticking with it this time and getting to all those benefits I felt the first time around!

Hi Columus Crew,  It looks like there is a whole gang doing this, that is encouraging.  I am starting my first Whole30 tomorrow. My spouse is humoring me and also following along.  I emptied out the fridge tonight (did the cupboards last week) and it was a little overwhelming.  I know it is worth it and am trying to keep that in mind. 

Archived