The Columbus Crew

dcducks1

Hi, Pickle -- I have non-Hashimoto's thyroid disease (hypo) and despite medication, I feel LOUSY. The docs keep telling me my numbers are in range, but I'm still exhausted, brain-fogged, and my hair's falling out. In reading about dietary interventions, I came across info about AIP. I didn't feel quite ready for a change that drastic, so I am starting with a Whole30 to see how I'll feel. We can do this! :)

Hi LV8n!  Yes, we CAN...  I'm so sorry to hear how lousy you're feeling and sure hope that a month from now you're feeling a lot better. 

(My naturopathic doctor started me on bioidentical hormones...they've made a huge difference for me.)

I just read in "It Starts With Food" that I should not be eating eggs or nuts because I have this autoimmune disease.  Are you cutting those out? 

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am in too. This is my first whole 30, and I started today ( I am some hours ahead of you...living in New Zealand).

I always did a fast around spring time (yes, it is spring here), and this year I decided to try the whole 30. And I am happy for the extra support. I do eat generally heathy on my main meals, but have a really problematic relationship with sugar loaded snacks inbetween since I was a child (and therefore being overweight my whole life).

Hi Susitna!

My husband and I are coming to NZ in Feb/March for 17 days.  Traveling around the South Island and hiking one of the Great Walks.  Really looking forward to visiting your beautiful country!

Hi guys I'm Jette from Denmark and am also starting today. Completed my first Whole30 last summer and felt fantastic, but fell back into bad sugar habits and am now ready to change my life to the better and to slay the sugar dragon for good.

I am so happy to have found this group. Let's start the journey - have a great day 1

Hello! I am starting on Tuesday the 13, as tomorrow is Canadian Thamksfiving and while ou dinner will be decent I'm pretty sure it won't be compliant.

This is my second whole 30. I did my first in March of last year and then got pregnant in July. While I was pregnant I used morning sickness and nausea as an excuse to eat poorly...hello bagels... Now my baby is 6 months old, and being busy with him and my 3 year old means it's been hard to eat right and I often skip meals then snack later at night on stuff like cheese and peanut butter. I'm on mat leave but I'm also starting a contract next week of an online teaching job, so when I'm doing that it cuts further into my workout and food prep time. I'm looking forward to the whole 30 though and doing it with an awesome group of people.

I started my food prep tonight and made egg, beef and kale muffins, chicken livers (which I will share with my baby), hard boiled eggs, steamed broccoli, and chopped cauliflower to roast another day. more to do tommorrow, I went to the farmers market yesterday and stocked up!

Hi everyone. Im starting my first whole 30 today! i had terrible sugar cravings when I was pregant, whereas previously i was more inclined towards savoury food. I could have eaten sugar, honey and chocolate by the bucketfull and not be sick.. i had hoped that once i had my baby the cravings would subside, however my 'baby' is now 16 months and my crravings are still hanging around. I've tried various commercial diets, however i think i need a lifestyle change, rather than a quick fix. I am really hoping to slay that sugar dragon in the next 30 days! I ahve found the book extremley interesting, however the wealth of information online is quite overwhelming - any advice would be much appreciated

Thank you :)

I ahve found the book extremley interesting, however the wealth of information online is quite overwhelming - any advice would be much appreciated

Thank you :)

Keep it simple.

Start with focusing on the basics:

- program rules: http://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/

- Can I Have Guide (as a reference when you need it): http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/

- recommended meal template: http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

All - good morning and welcome (for most) to day 1! We have 30 easy days ahead of us. Be strong, confident, and lose the self-defeating attitude. If you have been cheating in the past...STOP! It's time to make a choice. Are you in this to better yourself or do you need to find the door now? I believe in you and will help pull you thru to the end.

Everyone should have the weigh-ins, measurements, and before pics out of the way. Get rid of the scale for the next 30 days. NO CHEATING! Most of you will feel a difference in your clothes or the way you feel in the next couple of weeks. Just be confident that the weight is coming off and don't rely on sneaking a peak with the scale.

Eat well today, do NOT starve yourself, plenty of water and protein. Have fun, try new things, BE HONEST WITH YOURSELF!

I will be out the rest of the day to attend a funeral but will be back tomorrow.

Dave

Good morning, and Happy Day One! I'm ready to go. I have several things in the freezer because I just finished my first W30 12 days ago, and haven't changed my eating much. I did try dairy last weekend, and that didn't work out so well. It took a week for me to feel as good as I did (digestive system-wise) during the last half of the 30 days. So dairy is out permanently. Sugar is my struggle, and part of the reason I started this second go-round right away. I have help with that from the group I did my first W30 with, and I love the accountability!

Have a great, compliant day, everyone!

Keep it simple.

Start with focusing on the basics:

- program rules: http://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/

- Can I Have Guide (as a reference when you need it): http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/

- recommended meal template: http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

thank you :-)  i have a meal plan for the week so if i stick to it im sure i cant go wrong :)

Today, 11:41 AM

Hello, Day one for me today!

First whole30, i'm David, 35 from the UK by the way! Just spent last few days reading the book so think im prepared! I dont like cooking at all so that might be a problem, although i did cook ckicken burgers, sweet potato mash and salad today and it was nice!

Welcome everyone! So nice to have such energetic and devoted members of the Crew! Milonac, what did you try reintroducing? I'm with you on thinking this is a long term eating change which is precisely why I want to do a really clean 30 and then see what can come back. Get psyched everyone!

Honestly, not much. I really didn't have plans to start adding 'those' foods into my diet with any regularity.  I really felt like they would be things that I may have out or in occasional social environments and was okay having them on rare occasions. The only thing I thought I would add back into my regular diet was milk.  But, just milk for my coffee.  I was never really a milk drinker. But, I never imagined I'd enjoy drinking black coffee! (I never drank coffee without a lot of milk and sugar. But, adding sugar to my coffee again definitely wasn't even a consideration.) So milk was the first thing I tried in my coffee.  And my stomach felt horrible after.  So, I decided not to have anymore dairy that day.  I also tried cheese on another day.  And although the reaction was not as intense as the milk, I definitely had some stomach cramps.  I also tried bread on two separate occasions and didn't seem to have any major reactions to that.  Although, they were not large portions of bread.  I had a half a roll with a burger twice.  And then there was the pizza incident.  I never thought I'd be able to live without pizza.  I felt so horrible after I ate pizza!  Who knew....At this point, you couldn't pay me to eat pizza.  LOL.  In 11 days I only had 4 meals plus milk in 2 cups of coffee which were out of compliance.  And honestly, I didn't enjoy any of those things more than my regular, compliant W30 meals. 

Who knew 30 days would change my life!!  All this coming from someone who definitely did not have a healthy lifestyle. I still have a long way to go with my weight loss journey and getting by BP down a little more, but it doesn't feel like a struggle anymore.

I'm so excited for all the newcomers!!!  There are so many exciting things ahead of you.  I'm not going to lie, it's not easy in the beginning. But, it's most definitely worth the hard work.  The sacrifices you feel you are making now, won't feel like sacrifices in a few weeks.  In fact, they will become easy choices.

Happy Day 1 everyone!!!

This posting is rocking!!

Hi all - I'm Tracey - this is my second round of Whole30. Did June/July and felt better than I have in years. Unfortunately, I've had a rough couple of months and am slipping off the plan. 

SO - today I'm starting round two. 

Nice to meet all of you and looking forward to the support I know will be vital to success!

Have a good day 1!

Mornin Everyone!  I really appreciate hearing from you all that have done this before- how fantastic you felt is a big motivator.

After reading the AutoImmune Protocol (AIP) last night, I've committed to taking out eggs, nuts, nightshades, and ghee. 

I had made a HUGE amount of paleo chili and froze it, thinking I would be eating it all through this month; bought 2 dozen eggs, cashews and almonds.  (Also discovered the bacon I bought has sugar in it.)  No matter how much I was looking forward to eggs every morning, eating cashews or freeing up my freezer space by eating that chili....

I'm committed no matter what! 

Mornin Everyone!  I really appreciate hearing from you all that have done this before- how fantastic you felt is a big motivator.

After reading the AutoImmune Protocol (AIP) last night, I've committed to taking out eggs, nuts, nightshades, and ghee. 

Unless you already know you have a problem with eggs, nuts, nightshades and ghee, we typically recommend completing a standard W30 first before taking on the AIP version.

Unless you already know you have a problem with eggs, nuts, nightshades and ghee, we typically recommend completing a standard W30 first before taking on the AIP version.

Sounds good to me!  You don't have to twist my arm on that one...

Is this to ensure compliance?  Do you see folks trying the AIP the first time around and quitting altogether because it's too hard?

Sounds good to me!  You don't have to twist my arm on that one...

Is this to ensure compliance?  Do you see folks trying the AIP the first time around and quitting altogether because it's too hard?

It's more to ensure success. Jumping straight into AIP from their current way of eating is usually more challenging. Get a Whole30 under your belt first, and if you choose to try AIP from there, it's an easier transition.

Be strong, confident, and lose the self-defeating attitude. If you have been cheating in the past...STOP! It's time to make a choice. Are you in this to better yourself or do you need to find the door now? I believe in you and will help pull you thru to the end.

Everyone should have the weigh-ins, measurements, and before pics out of the way. Get rid of the scale for the next 30 days. NO CHEATING! Most of you will feel a difference in your clothes or the way you feel in the next couple of weeks. Just be confident that the weight is coming off and don't rely on sneaking a peak with the scale.

I have to say here, on the goals worksheet that I printed out and filled to start the program with (taking that sheet seriously this time instead of just reading through it and thinking them to myself), on the bottom of the page is listed the goal I am struggling to make a lifetime habit of.  It reads "For the next 30 days I will not denigrate myself.  I will care for myself as I would my best friend."  My husband gave me the best kick in the backside there after I said "it's not important, it's just for me" one day when we were talking about things we'd like to do.  He looked me right in the eye and said "What do you mean it's not important?  You're important to me! And if you fall down because you're so busy taking care of everyone else that you have nothing left for yourself where does that leave me?"  It was a pivotal moment in caring for myself.

The scale is once again safely hidden, I know not where, lol.  Before pictures and measurements taken... grumble, grumble.  It will be better. We can do this!

And, I picked up the timesaving tip of the frozen vegetables.  :D  The prep work was really wearing on me the first time around.  With only 2 of us in the house, it's fairly cost effective to stock up on frozen like the sliced mushrooms, chopped onions, chopped spinach/kale, etc.  Throw a handful in the pan in the pan when I'm making eggs or soup, it's so much easier for me.  Gives me more time to try making more of those recipes for the homemade things in the book. :)

Who knew 30 days would change my life!!  All this coming from someone who definitely did not have a healthy lifestyle. I still have a long way to go with my weight loss journey and getting by BP down a little more, but it doesn't feel like a struggle anymore.

Milonac:  Thanks for the details...sounds as thougn you gave it a pretty good try and really learned some things.  I'm hoping for that at the end of this one.  Actually, in terms of priorities....I suppose I'd MOST like to be able to add back in one square of very dark chocolate....more than cheese (which I LOVE), cream in my coffee,  and, geez, that may be almost about it ....of yeah, and WINE - but I KNOW that is not gonna fly for me...I'm NOT a whiner, but wine has NO BREAKS...(maybe a taste of champagne now and then?)

OK, Dave, don't panic....I'm serious and not complaining....sorry for riffing on reintro when we are just getting started.

NancyW - thanks also for your story.  So glad to have you on this boat.

I have to say here, on the goals worksheet that I printed out and filled to start the program with (taking that sheet seriously this time instead of just reading through it and thinking them to myself), on the bottom of the page is listed the goal I am struggling to make a lifetime habit of.  It reads "For the next 30 days I will not denigrate myself.  I will care for myself as I would my best friend."  My husband gave me the best kick in the backside there after I said "it's not important, it's just for me" one day when we were talking about things we'd like to do.  He looked me right in the eye and said "What do you mean it's not important?  You're important to me! And if you fall down because you're so busy taking care of everyone else that you have nothing left for yourself where does that leave me?"  It was a pivotal moment in caring for myself.

And, I picked up the timesaving tip of the frozen vegetables.  :D  The prep work was really wearing on me the first time around.  With only 2 of us in the house, it's fairly cost effective to stock up on frozen like the sliced mushrooms, chopped onions, chopped spinach/kale, etc.  Throw a handful in the pan in the pan when I'm making eggs or soup, it's so much easier for me.  Gives me more time to try making more of those recipes for the homemade things in the book. :)

Hey C Ceseaux, sounds as though you have a GREAT hubby!  I too am taking the goal setting part more seriously this time.  I already set the goal to up my exercise to 10K steps each and every day of this month...but I am going to grab the goal worksheet and push myself a bit more to get specific.  Affirmations, statements of gratitude, whatever are also part of the arsenal.  Sorry for the war metaphor...

and to those of you shipmates from the UK, Scotland, etc...even New Zealand...there are a number of you - and occasionally jmbcn may weigh in from Ireland with her great wisdom.

Happy Day One everyone!

OK, everyone should be gathering the food, making mayo out of pinecones, bark into granola bars, grinding dirt into BBQ sauce, gathering lawn clippings for salads....just kidding!  

LOL

My 20 year old participated in the Whole30 with me back in June.  The hardest part for him was the eating out with friends.  One friend said I'm sure they can find some dirt out back for you.  We have been laughing at that since!

Morning/Evening everyone

Sunny at the moment in my part of NZ and it is off to the races. My food prep is done for the next few days and am heading to town to stock up for the later part of the week.

Love the comment about 'finding some dirt out back for you' . Feels a bit like that at times.

C_Cezeaux:  what a wonderful husband you have--and he is right.

I have decided to increase my exercise this round and have already begun, babysteps but have begun. Have increased my walking and did a small session on the stationary bike yesterday. Will increase that daily.

Enjoy your day/evening. 

Archived