The Columbus Crew

dcducks1

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

“Have you realized that most of your unhappiness in life is due to the fact that you are listening to yourself instead of talking to yourself? Take those thoughts that come to you the moment you wake up in the morning. You have not originated them but they are talking to you, they bring back the problems of yesterday. Somebody is talking. Who is talking to you? Your self is talking to you. “Why art thou cast down, O my soul?”  Stand UP and say, “Self, listen for moment, I will speak to you.”

D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones

Old habits die hard but they can wither and blow away.  I stopped listening to negative thoughts.  They are the easiest things to harbor. Your mind will latch onto those and they are self-destructive.  Start speaking to your future and let your bad habits eat your dust.  

One day, when you wake up your new habits will agree with your mind. It's called harmony between the mind the and body.

Just starting triggers our brain in a different way.

Our brain wants a conclusion.

It’s the same with your tasks: start, and your brain will overcome the first hurdle.

This is the most important one to overcome if you want to defeat procrastination.

After starting a task or chore, your brain will be enticed to finish it to it’s “conclusion.”

You also see that it’s not as big a mountain as you initially imagined, and that the work involved in completing this task won’t be so terrifying after all.

It's amazing what a little Rocket Man and straight talk will do for you when you're listening but not talking to yourself. I know this for sure -- I've never cried to Rocket Man before. Emotions sure can run the gamut on Whole30. I forget -- often, too often -- that I actually like myself very much. I woke up with my back hurting again. Super cranky. Wanting Tiger Blood and feeling cheated. But, I am not a victim and I have choices. After all, my pain is a just a tiny drop in the universe and so many others are handling far more with grace.

I'm going out to have a wonderful day now. But, first, I'll listen to Rocket Man again. And this time, I'm going to be all smiles. 

If you've spent years playing around with branded diets:

Your brain will “abandon ship” at the first sign of distress

You were on one of those branded diets, and have been doing well for about 2 1/2 weeks, but you know your defenses are at risk.

To make matters worse, you’re having dinner with friends tonight.

Instead of the healthy meal you could have made at home, you’re forced to use a restaurant menu.

The problem is this: At the bar before dinner, you had a little “cheat” moment by ordering snacks and drinks, after all, you’re with your pals tonight, right?

You know that those drinks and snacks, combined with the bread you had before dinner, leave you with one option to stay a bit over your  intake goals: you must eat a salad.

The thing is, your brain is yelling out “PASTA!”.

You order pasta and bread and don’t look back.

It’s much more than an act of weakness: psychologists have observed that this is much more likely to happen as a result of you missing a previously set goal.

Specifically,  people who were actually on diets were tested with pizza and cookies.

When the cookies were weighed, it turned out that those who were on a diet and thought they’d blown their limit ate more of the cookies than those who weren’t on a diet.

They ate over 50% more!

Our brain is geared towards a call of “Abandon ship!”, whenever we come short of our goals.

One of the ways your brain continues it’s trickery is through busywork: work that gets “something” done, but not something that produces any measurable results.

Our brain just loves to become robotic and to even mimic people out of habit. This is disastrous to achieving long term goals.  Fight procrastination by getting Started.  Don't let your brain ruin your goals by diverting your attention. 

Dave's Chore List is more than busy work.  It's actually helping you follow through from Beginning to End.   It is Brain Training for completing your goals.   Those who stop short of reaching their goals are the first ones to Abandon the Ship. 

Falling back into bowls of pasta and pizza and 'bread bread' and ice cream can happen before you can say multi-crap. 

Home from my follow up app. I learned something new today. Apparently there is such a thing as chronic appendicitis. Well, no longer for me... My weight lift/pull/push has been increased to 15 lbs. from 10 lbs. so I can tackle some bigger cleaning jobs now! Back to work with no restrictions on Nov. 11 one month from my surgery date. Antibiotics will be finished this Sunday. Plan to keep up with the mega doses of probiotics for another week then look out! I have to chuckle sometimes. I find myself rubbing my belly every so often, because it has the healing itch going on. Reminds me of when I was pregnant and would rub my belly. Thank the Lord that isn't the case now! Too old fro that kinda fun... Off to get some chores done...

All I can say is thank G*D for this forum! Meadow -- I just can't tell you what an incredible kick in the pants your posts are. I had a "struggley" couple of days -- very busy with assessments for both parents, lots of paperwork and form filling, copying, running here, there, and everywhere, etc. and, of course, the emotional hornet's nest was majorly abuzz. <sigh> Blowout with my mom last night--and when she gets upset, she hurls the most hurtful thing she can think of in my direction. Last night was no exception. I calmly told her that no matter how rude & insensitive she chooses to be, I intend to stand my ground on the matter over which we were in disagreement. She continued to rattle off epithets, so I left the room without saying a word. As I was leaving, I could hear her offering a feeble apology. I kept walking.

This morning, I got up early, made my breakfast, and headed off to the VA to finish my dad's application for pension and Aid & Attendance. Sadly, I had to go alone b/c my younger sister (who was supposed to accompany me, and whose company I always enjoy) was too wiped out by her MS... which makes me volcanically angry and so profoundly sad. I hate, hate, hate that she has to deal with such a brutally capricious disease. :(

But wait! There's more!

The good news (because there always is) -- 1.) My dad's application for VA benefits is now FINISHED! 2.) It was a BEAUTIFUL fall day here -- bright, sunny, and resplendent with trees in full autumn regalia. Absolutely breathtaking. 3.) I drove alone, listened to some good music, but mostly just silence. 4, 5, 6, & 7.) I stopped to grab some food (hooray for Wawa boiled eggs, carrots, celery, and almonds), then drove to a park to eat, listen to an interesting interview with Elvis Costello, and reorganize the music CDs in my car.

And most miraculous of all -- 8.) Food did NOT rule my consciousness today.

Shiver me timbers! ;-)

Grateful beyond words to our fearless leader, first mate, and entire crew. Couldn't do it without ya!

Had to get in on the sharing, lol.  Had a great day today, we had a rainout so I ended up eating out with my husband TWICE without getting myself in trouble.  Was just at the end of my exercise when he came in, so the timing was great. :)  This evening I thought I was just going along to have a coffee and possibly nibble on a house salad because we stopped at a place in the mall that we'd only been to once before.  It is a very surprising grill for being in the mall, they not only made me a flame broiled burger with avocado and tomato on it, the chef sliced up a sweet potato and fried it in olive oil for me.  That was nice.  I would also seriously recommend garlic roasted tomatoes, talk about a flavor pop!!  I'm definitely going to make those at home. :)

post-71554-0-38834800-1445648680_thumb.p

post-71554-0-34157600-1445648683_thumb.p

Also... I've been avoiding any foods with strange ingredients, ingredients that I wasn't familiar with, ingredients that I know are harmful, etc. etc.  I usually look them up to find out what exactly they are, but sometimes it takes a few days before I remember them.  I started making my own bone broth when I couldn't find any at the store without some suspect ingredients, took today to finally go and look up "yeast extract."  In every beef broth or stock that I have read the label of.  Until today, even had a box of organic beef broth in the cabinet that I was planning to use post W30.  Right up until the moment I looked up the miserable yeast extract and discovered that it when it is combined with sodium ions it is the same thing as MSG.  Dirty rotten scoundrels!!!!  Apart from other ill effects MSG is a huge migraine culprit.  My cabinets have been scoured for any other suspect ingredients that I might have missed.  That seems to be the last one, thank goodness.

One dozen days and counting down...

m1- Salmon/veg patties with eggs over easy and spinach. Red grapes. 

m2- Last of the pork meatballs with tomato sauce. Almond butter with red grapes. Chopped salad with lettuce, carrots, zukes and cukes.  

Late breakfast led straight to an early dinner. No down time today once I started going. Shopped for funky, spooky Halloween stuff to deck out my hallowed halls this weekend. Feel much better. And it's sounding like the whole Crew posting is on the upswing today and yesterday -- learning lessons about ourselves and our better inner halves. 

Who knew that eating simple, healthy, whole foods could have such a radical effect on our bodies and our minds? 

Also... I've been avoiding any foods with strange ingredients, ingredients that I wasn't familiar with, ingredients that I know are harmful, etc. etc.  I usually look them up to find out what exactly they are, but sometimes it takes a few days before I remember them.  I started making my own bone broth when I couldn't find any at the store without some suspect ingredients, took today to finally go and look up "yeast extract."  In every beef broth or stock that I have read the label of.  Until today, even had a box of organic beef broth in the cabinet that I was planning to use post W30.  Right up until the moment I looked up the miserable yeast extract and discovered that it when it is combined with sodium ions it is the same thing as MSG.  Dirty rotten scoundrels!!!!  Apart from other ill effects MSG is a huge migraine culprit.  My cabinets have been scoured for any other suspect ingredients that I might have missed.  That seems to be the last one, thank goodness.

That's certainly good to know--thank you! I have suffered from migraines in the past, and have always stayed away from MSG. Now I wonder how many times I had it without realizing it! Since my W30 started on September 1, I have only had one or two headaches, and they weren't migraines. Something to be said for label reading and clean eating!!

Archived