The Columbus Crew

dcducks1

Congratulations to everyone!  Coming here and reading the posts daily has been a ton of support for me.  Although my friends and family are supportive, they don't "get" the purpose of doing a program like this.  I guess if you don't know what is making you feel like crap then you don't have any responsibility to make the choice to clean up your diet and so you can go on complaining about this, that or the other and not do anything about it.  Knowledge is power.  SV - lost a couple of pounds but the victory is that I lost, instead of gaining, while eating great food and not weighing or counting anything.  NSV - have a clean slate now to begin reintroductions which I have never been able to accomplish before because I would give in on about day 8.  Also, having accomplished this we should feel like we can do anything we really set our minds to do.  I also would like to stick together during reintroductions so that we can learn from each other and continue to support one another.

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see some lovely victories on here today!  Congratulations and here's to keeping the good food attitude. :) 

Merg, I'm always up for a thread, lol.  It helps me to keep company with like minded folks.  Both while continuing on the program and during reintroduction.

KSByer, that is astonishing :) 

bpaitsel, well said.  And congrats on making it through this W30.  Now, when you want to do another you will already know you can do it. :)

It is SNOWING here.  My poor southeast-texas acclimated system is having trouble adjusting, lols.  Where is that girl who used to be outside playing in it without even hat and gloves? (horrified my poor mother, lol)

Congratulations to all for completing the journey. What a victory.

Great news KSByer, you are a star and so glad you chose to spend time with this group.

Merg, I'm up for a thread too even though I am doing my AI,

AI is going well and slept much better last night, increased my bone broth and most of my achey breaky joints are ready to rumble today. Feeling much more together today so you may be right o-wise one, Cynthia. :)

I don't think I could handle snow again at all, and I used to live next door to Santa Claus. Wrap up warm, Cynthia.

Thank you, Dave and MeadowLily--you made this journey a fun ride. I am so pleased I don't have to count, calculate or report anything ever again! Even vacuuming and dusting is a pleasantry now, not a burden. Who'd a thunk it?

I am going to weigh and measure on the scale I started out at and that means not until Monday but not a problem. I feel different so at least I know things are shifting around--hope I don't end up with size 12 shoes!

Lots of love and showers of angel dust for you all. xxxL

Wow, Day 30!! WHHOOO HOOO!

I have to say I have really enjoyed the posts from this group, but I haven't felt like I contributed to it in a way I wanted to. I was thinking about why, and realized that I have been spending a lot of time planning, shopping and preparing meals and a lot less time on the computer.  I hope this group morphs into some sort of continuation, as I plan to keep on with this new lifestyle.

I hope to find the paper I wrote down the measurements on, as I know I hid it somewhere. I feel so much better anyway that comes out. Clothes are fitting better, my face feels thinner, and I don't feel so bloated.

I will be adding back a few things (hopefully if my body don't object) to make it more manageable. I hope to be able to have nonfat yogurt, a bit of stevia, almond milk, and black beans. Oh, and the big one...Best Foods Mayonnaise as I hate the real homemade stuff.  What are you all hoping to add back?

I am going to weigh and measure on the scale I started out at and that means not until Monday but not a problem. I feel different so at least I know things are shifting around--hope I don't end up with size 12 shoes!

:lol:  :lol: :lol:  On the bright side, you'd get to go shoe shopping!!!  

There's a reintro group in progress that several here are posting on,   Tiger Tots.  That would be a good visiting place. 

A proper reintro phase is very important.  Without it, you open yourself up to the Mission Creep.  Over the years  many have used Day 31 as a  food  blow it on out there full on bender day.  Then after the bender, they immediately restart another Whole 30.  That ain't the way you want to go.

You want 30 compliant days without any of the usual suspects creeping back in to mess with your reintro results.    That clean house, inside and out will give you the kind of results you're looking for.  With your knowledge in hand of how grains, dairy, legumes and all of the rest affect you is your compass.

Mission Creep can happen.  When you stay too long at the buffet table,  you've attended too many holiday parties, or old habits are creeping back in under the door. 

Then it's time to HIT THE RESET BUTTON.   See the Whole 30 RESET threads for hitting the button and renewing your mind, body and spirit. 

Reintro phases.   You'll no longer have to fly by the seat of your pants or wingnut around.  If the flywheel should come loose and you slide off the goose into a pile of multi-crap.....refined carbs,  everything is all loosey-goosey...tighten those wingnuts back up.   Go back to your reintro results.

Remind yourself of how grains made you feelbulbar-smiley.gif?1292867562or combos of the usual suspects that get you nowhere good.   Does your brain feel like it's expanding and someone is in there digging deep holes everywhere? digg-in-smiley.gif?1292867582  Do you feel like you're leaking like a sieve when you pour in alcohol and tooty frooty drinks?

Or can we be really frank....does it feel like your marbles have all rolled away and you're left holding the bag?

Grains and sugar can make you feel like your mind has packed up and left you along the road with the hood up and not a mechanic or roadside help in sight.

After 30 days without grains  or many months without them, the reaction can be very intense.   Pay attention to the subtle or strong cues.   When Mission Creep starts spreading everywhere,  you can reel everything back in and have an honest talk with yourself. 

When your mind wants you to forget how much effort and WANT POWER it takes to make it here,  let your spirit rise up and tell your mind who's really in charge.  YOU.   Your greater self. 

WANT POWER is greater than willpower .   WANT POWER....pull that UP from your spirit.  It is instinctive.

Learn to listen to your instincts, your higher self.   That self wants you to make it and will help you get there come hail or high water.   

WANT POWER will help you stay where you want to be without constantly fighting with the MISSION CREEP.    Grains are one of the most serious offenders combined with sugar.  You'll figure it out with your reintro phase.   It is the only way.

You would think that everything that can be said has been said but there's always another streetcar coming around the corner.

I'm Whole 30 bold.    It changed me.   Without that change I couldn't stick the landing.  It takes boldness and a willingness to listen to the Whole 30 pioneers to stick the landing.

You WANT it.   You're going to have to fight for it.   Fight your way through every wind of dieting doctrine and radical plans and extreme everything.    Fight your way through that.   Don't look to the left or right. Don't be led astray.

Don't listen to the naysayers around you.  That might mean your relatives and old cronies.   Keep going. 

Tiny steps for tiny feet. 

Do not diet.  Radical dieting will ruin your life and seriously mess with your head.   Don't do it.    A lifetime of dieting is a set-up for a an epic failure. 

Check yourself before you wreck yourself.  If you're teetering on the ledge, planning the next big thang and it involves starving one day and feasting the next day....Houston,  Houston...don't go there.

I don't believe in dieting anymore or radical plans.    When you're standing in the shower and your hair is swirling down the drain...you're pulling SOS pads out of the strainer...Houston, it's your radical plan that's causing that.  Don't go there.

Follow TeeDee.   T. D.   Tom Denham.     He'll get you where you want to go and your hair will remain intact on your head.   It's slow going.   YES.   But when you stick the landing,  your brain won't leak like a sieve and your head won't explode from the starving and binge eating cycles. 

You'll break every downward cycle.     You will change.   You'll become a fighter and a champion of causes.  You want everyone to be WINNING  but you will hang your head like old Tom Dooley if you go back to radical dieting and extreme everything.   Don't  do it. 

Pull your shoulders back and lift UP your head.   Today is a new day.   

Until we meet again.    :D   Might be tomorrow.  :lol: 

Hey all Im gonna miss the Crew. Anyone who wants to stick around through their reintro and cheer us latecomers on, would be much appreciated. :) Also would love to hear about your reintros and how its going. Makes more sense to me to simply stay in same group and support each other through reintro but moderators believe differently here. 

KSByer, I just read your last post here - WOW sounds like you're really off to a great start toward healthy thriving! May you continue to live and thrive and be healthy and strong. 

Meadow I like what your words, "You'll break every downward cycle." It is a cycle isn't it? And it's our choice to slide or to stay vigilant. How do I feel when I stay vigilant? 99% of the time I feel good. The 1% of the time when I'm feeling bad and tempted to eat a bowl of granola with almond milk, I just let it pas. Let it pass. Like a cloud. Good bye, cloud.

Today I did 3 sets of 10 chair dips with a downward dog and plank in between each set. 

m1 two fried eggs with sauteed greens and salmon

m2 one fried egg with sauteed greens and salmon one cold chicken wing

m3 - potluck. bringing persimmons cut into chunks. :) Will also bring hb egg, pickles and mac nuts for me to eat on the way as I don't have time to make much else. If there is anything compliant there (like hopefully raw carrots and broccoli) I will allow myself a couple raw veggies to get in veggie vits.

Am a little grumpy today and yesterday too. Tired yesterday. Better energy today. But still grumpy. When I feel this way, I want to eat. Staying busy helps. Have a good day everyone!!

You can hang here if you want to.  I can talk you down off the ledge with a few reminders thrown in for good measure.   Don't hand me no lines and keep yo' hands to yo'self.    Guess I'll play that song.  

No imaginary logs filled with imaginary food,  tiddlywinks and such.  It's better to tell the truth than kid yo'self. Be completely honest.  If you snitch a bite here and there, your reintro will be a flop for the most part.  Keep it real and compliant.    It's only 30 days and you only need one Whole 30 for your testing. 

Wow, Day 30!! WHHOOO HOOO!

I have to say I have really enjoyed the posts from this group, but I haven't felt like I contributed to it in a way I wanted to. I was thinking about why, and realized that I have been spending a lot of time planning, shopping and preparing meals and a lot less time on the computer.  I hope this group morphs into some sort of continuation, as I plan to keep on with this new lifestyle.

I hope to find the paper I wrote down the measurements on, as I know I hid it somewhere. I feel so much better anyway that comes out. Clothes are fitting better, my face feels thinner, and I don't feel so bloated.

I will be adding back a few things (hopefully if my body don't object) to make it more manageable. I hope to be able to have nonfat yogurt, a bit of stevia, almond milk, and black beans. Oh, and the big one...Best Foods Mayonnaise as I hate the real homemade stuff.  What are you all hoping to add back?

Congratulations Chill on finishing strong.  Sounds like you have some good victories irregardless of the measurements.  As far as re-introductions, I am going to start with yogurt (my favorite brand right now is Siggi's - it is very thick and has good amount of protein without a ton of sugar) and if that goes well then I'll add  in cheese and milk.  I'm only going to add a new food every few days so that I can hopefully get a clear picture of what my sensitivities are.  I'll probably follow that with rice, corn and beans.  With the holidays coming things might get a little murky.  I was using this W30 as sort of a dry run and then in January will probably do another one depending on how re-intros do.

We do not need to miss the Crew...lets stay here until we are all through, or ready to start again in January! Bronnyd, you are doing great...setting a high bar for those chair dips! And Miss Lindy, want to read more about the AI protocol so I can cheer you on.

My reintro is blown, shipmates...so that goal for this whole 30 is retire for now. I am staying on the program basically, and learning what foods don't work...for example, went out for sushi today w a friend...took in coconut aminoes to replace the soy, but did eat rice AND a few pieces of tempura...hello gas and bloating!!! Wine and sugar have been calling my name...and each and every night is a dance to stay away from wine...so ODD how strong is the pull to dull the senses at the end of the day. At least tomorrow we start basketball season...which is my FAV, so I won't be tempted tomorrow night.

I am happy with some advances made over the past several months. I had several false starts on this last w30, but ultimately got there and locked in some good things....safer bone broth production , a more ambitious and consistent movement schedule, WAY less snacking and greater clarity about foods with no brakes..., some great new go to meals, LOTS more fish, my Instapot..and, of course, the BEST CREW ever.

Thanks bronnyd! I'm just going to have to try a persimmon. I don't think I've ever had one. :o  And thanks for asking for the Crew to hang out a little longer. This place is such a healthy and helpful respite.

My reintro is not yet the scientific protocol I had envisioned. I've had teaspoons of almond milk with my coffee, but I can't say my world was rocked for the way better. Maybe black coffee is doable forever. :lol: Had some ketchup with sweet potato fries. Had half a not-so-sweet gingerbread muffin and felt weak soon after. Think it was my imagination. But so far, there's been no real joy in any of my small dalliances. Maybe the ketchup. Mainly, I've stayed one tiny side step away from the track. But, tomorrow night I go all in... a night out for dinner. Mediterranean, good healthy food. Which will include hummus, pita and wine. I am determined to allow myself to really enjoy it. 

Also, bpaitsel's Siggi's yogurt suggestion sounds wonderful, too. I'll put that on my reintro agenda for next week. 

Merg, I'm a sushi lover, so this soy/rice/tempura upset sounds like a bummer. But, your bone broth success makes me want to try that. Let's keep pushing forward. 

YAY you're staying Merge and Kim and Meadow and others!! :) I'm so GLAD!!

Kim, I don't think the weakness was your imagination. Sugar does weird things to our blood. I have felt a sort of  muscle weakness in my reintros to gluten and sugar. If my belly is healthy, I can have sugar once in a while - like over the summer I had ice cream and it was after a loooong time with noooo sugar - like months - and I was fine! If there is gluten involved with the sugar, I'll feel a sort of nervy muscle weakness almost right away.  And it will sit in my belly like a giant cotton ball and it just turns me off. So I rarely go there any more. Hardly miss even the occasional doughnut anymore. :)

That said, (some disclosure here) I've learned when I'm under stress, feeling grumpy and frustrated, my tendency is to turn to something really sweet like German chocolate cake or some gross sugary gluten filled item that will drug me up for a while. That happened right before this W30. I hadn't eaten sugar in a long while (weeks) and it was quite gross and sweet and it did sit in my stomach like a lump. I ate it at night and then a few hours later went to bed feeling gross and ashamed. Felt weak the whole day following. And wanted more chocolate and still felt grumpy/stressed. I'm learning how turning to food even on occasion when I'm feeling sad or stressed - just buries those feelings with sticky dark gloppy grossness that makes me feel worse. 

THAT said, nothing wrong with simply enjoying occasional ginger bread for simple please of it. I LOVE ginger cookies esp over the holidays. But if you felt something physical, Kim, take it as a sign post. Or a friendly fact. The body DID react. Notice how you might be feeling mentally and physically the next few days. I've found that eating sugar so soon after a W30 doesn't sit well with me. My twoish cents. :)

I'm learning to allow myself a good cry now instead of turning to sugar. Sometimes I need to cry often. When I eat sugar and cry, i'm on the "pity pot" as a friend of mine who goes to AA puts it. Totally right on. But when I cry to acknowledge and release feelings, stress, let go, surrender, it passes soon after and I feel better, if not right away. I'm learniing to do yoga instead of turn to food. I'm learniing to go outside on a walk/trot instead of turn to sugar. In fact, I'm going out this morning to run a bit and then eat a healthy breaky of sauteed greens and maybe some sausage and an egg. 

Not sure what I'll eat for rest of today, but you can bet it will include lots of veggies. :)

Last  night's potluck was a success. There was a huge plate filled with I'd say 4,500 homemade choc chip cookies along with several other sweet dishes - and savory dishes too that I stayed away from. I almost had a cookie. That plate was empty by the end of the night. The only thing I ate were my persimmons and a really good cabbage dish with oo, sauteed cabbage cut into chunks and then roasted! It was so good. I'm going to make some this weekend.

Have a good day everyone! THANK YOU for being here. xo

No,  there's nothing wrong with food rewards but there's nothing especially right about them either.. if they become an every day longing and craving torment. 

Food rewards.  What are they worth.  We must all decide.  

Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks.  Out of the abundance of the belly the belly wants what it wants.   What if that's a steady stream of food rewards that consist of refined flours and sugar?

What if someone is knock, knock, knocking on heaven's door because they're about to head into full blown diabetes?   Binge eating in youth is a precursor of diabetes in adulthood.   Non-stop binges are the handwriting on the wall for a pancreas that wears out and gives up the ghost.

Your internal combustion engine, pancreas,  must deal with every single food reward.  Over and over for years on end.   There's only so much an organ can take and when it's stretched to its' outer limits...to keep tormenting your internal sugar barometer when it's on its' last stand is a downward facing cycle.   

Binge and thrill eating are the forerunner of falling rocks up ahead.   A lifetime of binge eating creates those downward spirals into dis-ease.   

Does the pancreas deserve non-stop thrill eating.   When you go on a vacation or a big cruise and it's time to belly up to the buffet tables,  does the pancreas deserve that kind of a 'vacation'?  

Many take a break for weeks on end until they've eaten it all back after a Whole 30 and then restart another.

The internal combustion engine doesn't thrive on those kinds of refined fuels.  Neither does the brain and it can be a soul crushing experience when you come back home after weeks of being out on the thrill eating trail.  

Twice a year of eating your Auntie Em's besties is not the same as thrill eating off and on for weeks and months and years and decades on end. 

Not when you're looking down the barrel of diabetes or a heart attack. 

There are those that come from the other side of food relations.  Those that suffer with anorexia.  Over-restricting is their norm.   They don't go on thrill eating rides but run the other direction.   Taking one bite and pushing the rest away might be their mode.  Food and even being around it can be scary for them.    

I'm not talking about that.   

A lifetime of binge eating and dieting.  It's so important to break those cycles.  It is doable and it can be done.

Custard's Last Stand.  

At some particular point in our life, we have to draw a line in the sand and mean it with everything within our being.   It's gonna shake and rattle and roll.    The ground is going to quake and move because the belly will rebel when you don't constantly entertain it with play foods.

It's worth it to tell that BELLY BULLY to shut the frickity frick frick up.  After a while, the belly starts marching to a different tune.  It's so worth it. 

Hi

I am going to be checking in here as well, glad so many of us are. Good room to come to and I am so nosey I need to know what everyone is up to. 

AI going well I think, at least I am not eating what I shouldn't but got tired of eating yesterday so was low on veg last night. Just couldn't do it. Never mind will make it up as I go along (somewhat similar to my cooking style). I actually am learning to hear my body more and discovering my nutrition needs so when I have had enough I have had enough. It wasn't like I wanted anything in place of my veg, just didn't want to eat any more last night so didn't. And the earth didn't stop turning!

Am off to do some work, hope you have a good weekend all. L

Merg,  in spite of the speed bump you launched yourself over last night, I think you made some great advances in caring for yourself and you definitely acquired more knowledge of how things work. :)  Just look at your dinner as a learning experience, which it was, lol.  It certainly gave you a starting place as far as looking at what works and what doesn't. I like the idea of staying on here until we are ready to start up again in January.  Covers all our different time frames and lets us keep up with MissLindy's AI, which I am very curious to see the results of.

Bronnyd, are you buying the large persimmons?  I had those for the first time last summer - they are a lot different from the wild persimmons I grew up with.  The wild ones have a little dustier, more tart flavor.  I love them both, though. :)  I can't remember if I asked you about plantains - do you like them or have you used them?  I did not know there was so much difference between green plantains and the riper yellow plantains the first time I used them, lol.  But it did create a happy accident "recipe" that I will be making for my folks during the breakfast I'm making for them on Thanksgiving.  I don't think my dad will even know he's not eating a bread type substance. :)

I made my husband a completely healthy (and incidentally W30 compliant) dinner tonight and he went back for more.  He had chocolate chili for lunch as well.  :)  He's really liking the food, I may get him on the program yet, lol.  Tonight's dinner was ginger chicken, sautéed green beans w/almonds, and roasted sweet potato cubes.

Meadow, good cheerleading as always. :)  Custard's last stand - think I went through that on this one, lol.  I seem to have shaken it but will be wary.

Bronnyd - awesome way to survive a potluck.  Good luck with whatever reintro's you do.  

Kim - like Bronnyd said, pay attention to your body's signals.  Sometimes they are just whispers but listen anyway.  When I first suspected that I had a problem with gluten, it took me over a year of alternating between eating it and not eating it because sometimes the signals weren't clear.  And then, when the signals were very loud and clear there was still the denial  as in "certainly I couldn't have a problem with gluten."  Hope you are able to get some clear answers.

My first dairy intro didn't seem to go very well.  In the past I have had issues with joint pain but in the last few weeks have not had any.  Within a few hours of eating the yogurt I started to get an achy, raw feeling in my knees.  Coincidence?  Body whispering (yelling actually)? Dairy intolerance?  I'll wait until this resolves, intro some different foods then come back to the dairy I guess.  This is why I did the W30 - only way to get some clear answers.

Glad to be able to hang here with everyone - we can learn from each other.

Archived