The Columbus Crew

dcducks1

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never cared for salmon.  I'm the only one in the family who doesn't like, lol.  I have enjoyed eating it one time, but unfortunately, my sister-in-law could not remember exactly how she treated it before they put it on the grill.  There was a marinade and some sort of yellow sauce on top.  Now, grilled catfish on the other hand... I LOVE grilled catfish. 

Today was a relaxing day for me, already prepped up for next week so just a few errands and finished up the day with Tomato-Basil Shrimp.  Tasty. 

For those of us hanging out here still, apart from MissLindy on her AI, where is everybody at in their W30 schedule?

Day 30 for me was 11/10 so on 11/12 chose to introduce dairy - yogurt.  It didn't seem to go so well because a few hours later I had achy, raw feeling in both knees that lasted for several days.  I've had this before but wasn't sure what was causing it.  I'm letting this resolve completely, which today it feels like it is gone.  I will re-introduce something this week, probably legumes.  Next week will try rice.  At some point will try dairy again to make sure of my reaction.  Since 11/10 I am trying to stay mostly compliant except for the specific re-introductions although I have loosened up on sugar and dark chocolate a bit.  

It is such a mind game.  During the official W30 it was kind of easier because having certain foods just was not an option.  Now though, even the compliant foods can be combined to make "food with no brakes" which will definitely get me in trouble physically.  I definitely feel better when being closer to being a fat burner instead of a sugar burner but it is really easy to lose focus.

Would love to hear how others are doing re-intros.

Day 30 for me was 11/10 so on 11/12 chose to introduce dairy - yogurt.  It didn't seem to go so well because a few hours later I had achy, raw feeling in both knees that lasted for several days.  I've had this before but wasn't sure what was causing it.  I'm letting this resolve completely, which today it feels like it is gone.  I will re-introduce something this week, probably legumes.  Next week will try rice.  At some point will try dairy again to make sure of my reaction.  Since 11/10 I am trying to stay mostly compliant except for the specific re-introductions although I have loosened up on sugar and dark chocolate a bit.  

That does sound a lot like mom's reaction to the dairy.  She now carries charcoal tablets in case she accidentally ingests some, but has to take right away to be effective.

Lol, Meadow, I've never been much of a fisherman until the last couple of years - my husband is a serious fisherman and has been teaching me how to use an open reel.  And taken me deep sea fishing, which I am a TOTAL fan of.  But I love being outside for hours on end, especially if I can be out away from civilization, bonus points if it's on or near water.  I'm a beach girl at heart, I guess. :)

bronnyd, I have not tried salmon that way, lol.  Not enjoying the flavor of salmon, I have not experimented too much with it.  Spent a couple weeks coming up with recipes for my folks to use up the supply of filets they had in their freezer one summer.  They enjoyed all of them immensely, I did not taste any of it.

I will have to look more into the persimmon situation, hadn't realized there were so many types.

I'm wrapping up my official 30 on Friday, will start a slow, slow roll reintroduction then.  Am hoping to be able to do some gluten free grains and the legumes, apart from the honey for my tea. :)  Already know I will stick to coconut milk and carry the lactaid tablets with in case I end up eating something with dairy I didn't intend to.

bpaitsel, also recommend the Tiger Tots of CFC group in the reintroduction section of forum.  There are a few of us from here on there and they're a good bunch. :)

I am hoping to take more inspiration from the way you all are carefully reintro'ing one item at a time because I've had several missteps this weekend. My nieces were over and when at Aunt Kim's house-- we cook and we eat. They love to do both and despite all of my "I like them because they make me feel good" talk about veggies-- pancakes and homemade apple turnovers were in high demand. I avoided the pancakes but chose to thoroughly enjoy a turnover. And a glass of wine here and there. I honestly think that the wine blurred my sensitivity somewhat because the sugary turnover didn't seem to affect me at all. And that was the most sugar I've had since W30.

It gets worse:  After the girls left on Sunday my husband and I went to a Mexican restaurant. One margarita, chips and salsa, beans and rice and a grilled chicken breast later (with more cheese than I bargained for) I went home and suffered a terrible stomach ache. Admittedly, the girls had worn me down and I looked for comfort in my old comfort food. Not a good idea. It has taken until tonight to feel "back to W30 normal" again. I had quite a hangover considering I only had one silly margarita!  :blink:

Today, I was compliant with one exception -- I had a snack of Siggi's plain yogurt with raspberries. I went for the snack even though I wasn't really hungry just to make sure i was only eating the yogurt and nothing else so I'd know how it felt. It was okay-- not the best for my belly, but not nearly as bad as I'd thought it would be after more than a month without cow's milk of any kind. I think I'll be able to eat these every now and then and enjoy them. I loved the beautiful, creamy richness of Siggi's.

I also bought a persimmon-- a fuyu. I can't wait to taste it tomorrow! I'm not sure I'll be re-introducing anything tomorrow. Now I understand the necessity to return to compliant meals after a wild run through the sugary, dairy, gluteny fields. Ugh. I was so happy to return to clean eating today!

We're milling around and shooting the breeze until the cows come home.  For some, that's on Thanksgiving Day.  For others,  that's somewhere in the future.   

The Whole 30 is over but this is a resting place.  People come and go, wet their whistles or put their feet up for awhile.   I'm tending the straw hut Kombucha Bar.  Some are drinking booch while others are drinking hooch booch.  I just throw a blanket over them and wake them up in the morning. 

So, we keep going.   

IMG_9520.JPG

Cynthia - thanks for the heads up for the  Tiger Tots, I'll check it out.  I was wondering, when your Mom reacts to dairy is it usually a quick reaction or take longer to show up?

Kim - glad you liked the Siggi's yogurt.  I'm not a huge fan of yogurt generally but that is so thick and rich and not a ton of sugar in it.  Sounds like you  had a great time with your family.  We don't get opportunities like that every day - there's always time to recuperate afterward.  I had kind of the same reaction you did to the margarita when I recently had my first glass of wine after 30 days - usually wouldn't have felt any effects from just one but now more sensitive.

Cynthia - thanks for the heads up for the  Tiger Tots, I'll check it out.  I was wondering, when your Mom reacts to dairy is it usually a quick reaction or take longer to show up?

It is an instant reaction that steadily grows worse over a period of 2-3 hours until her joints are so painful that movement is very difficult. 

It is an instant reaction that steadily grows worse over a period of 2-3 hours until her joints are so painful that movement is very difficult. 

Thanks.  I'm going to cut back on my workouts for a couple of days and then try dairy again.  Then I'll know for sure if it was the dairy or something I did at the gym.

Guess what? Even though Michelle Tam from NomNom paleo can eat ONE square of dark chocolate a day, I.CAN.NOT.

The chocolate test is DONE...only after making myself feel sorta sick after powering down half a bar of the dark stuff...UGH.

Meadow, you are so right about the thrill eating and its costs. I am listening and learning.

Lindy, is the AI protocol anywhere? I looked for it, but obviously not in the right places.

Cheers, all.

merg,

Thepaleomom mentioned by bpaitsel is also the author of the book that bronnyd mentioned some pages back, "The Paleo Approach: Reverse autoimmune disease and Heal Your Body." I borrowed it from the library and was so impressed so quickly that I turned around and bought it from Amazon. The website is great, the recipes are interesting. Be careful: not all Paleo recipes are also AIP compliant. The basics of the AIP are available for free download on the website. She has a companion cookbook that got mixed reviews on Amazon and a new one coming out Dec.15 that promises all AIP-compliant recipes. I love her solid science background, her sound advice, and her upbeat attitude.

I am on Day 8 of an AIP protocol, hoping to stay on it until my next rheumatologist appointment in February. I won't soft-pedal this: it's been hard. Like the first week on Whole30, but worse. No more eggs. No more potatoes or tomatoes. It's like jumping off the high board and not coming up. I think that I finally broke the surface tonight: I reached back to my childhood and made something that my mother made frequently: spareribs and sauerkraut! It was good. My husband wanted to know what I hadn't made it anytime in the previous 44 years of our marriage!

Good Luck.

--Ceil

I am on Day 8 of an AIP protocol, hoping to stay on it until my next rheumatologist appointment in February. I won't soft-pedal this: it's been hard. Like the first week on Whole30, but worse. No more eggs. No more potatoes or tomatoes. It's like jumping off the high board and not coming up. I think that I finally broke the surface tonight: I reached back to my childhood and made something that my mother made frequently: spareribs and sauerkraut! It was good. My husband wanted to know what I hadn't made it anytime in the previous 44 years of our marriage!

Good Luck.

--Ceil

Oh my gosh... my mom used to make the best spareribs and sauerkraut!  Haven't had it in years.  Sooo tender.  :)  Good luck on your AIP as well.  You ladies taking the extra step on that have my best wishes, I am hoping it works for you and calms your issues.  Those food allergies can be wicked.

Hey Ceil I'm so glad you found the book The Paleo Approach: Reverse your Autoimmune Disease... by Sarah Ballantyne! It's chock full of info and I too bought it after checking it out from library! It's like a Godsend for me. Haven't gone all the way and taken eggs out (yet) but did everything else for a couple months. Back to eating eggplant now and thank Goddess it's good with me. And OMG that spareribs and sauerkraut recipe sounds deLISH - forgot about that one as I don't often eat spareribs. But bec of the book, I made my own first batch or sauerkraut recently and it rocked. 

I'm reallyyyy tired today. It's raining cats and dogs, was stuck in my car for an hour over a normally 15 minute route, and I just feel like sitting on my butt and reading and nothing else. So that's what I'm gonna do. Just got home early - my last one-hour lesson canceled.

Today, had lots of veggies and am waiting for my chicken wings to cook for dinner tonight. Going to have a bit of roasted squash from garden with the wings and some rainbow chard. M1 was small - a persimmons and a few small bits of bacon ends and pieces. GOD i LOVE perSiMmons. M2 was yummy - sauteed ground bison with a heaping plateful of collards, chard and spinach.

Stay well everyone! ox 

bronnyd, sauerkraut from scratch. I'm impressed. I plan to try it some time in the future. My current priority is to find an easy, compliant recipe for chopped chicken livers. paleomom makes a big deal of organ meats. I used to eat beef liver, but didn't like it when I tried some recently, so the chicken. I know that spouse will eat it, too, because he sometimes stops at a Jewish deli to pick some up. 2nd priority is persimmons. No idea what they even look like, but the conversation here has me interested in finding some!

--C

Tis true Ceil -- persimmons rule! I have another ripe one waiting on me today and I can't wait. They're very sublime with a soft, mellow flesh. Like a gentle, quiet peach. bronnyd is converting us all to persimmonistas!

Trying new things is one of my favorite things about this journey.

Kombucha is my new go-to libation. I've gone back to black coffee (no need for stevia!) after a few days of backtracking with cashew milk. No need for that anymore. I'm digging cans of La Croix lime. I love my homemade sugarless(!) mayo. I've grown quite fond of chicken thighs and sweet potatoes. And coconut oil is my black skillets' new best friend. Leeks and Brussels sprouts seem to be a new seasonal staple in my veggie drawer. All of these goodies and this adventure coincided with my newly fertile hens delivering a few treasured fresh eggs to me everyday. A true coup indeed.  ;) Next stop... golden beets just waiting to be roasted. :P 

Any other new food loves out there? Sauerkraut and spareribs sound terrific. 

Archived