The Columbus Crew

dcducks1

Welcome to delicioza.  Are you doing a W30 or just thinking about it?

Misslindy - I'm sorry you are having such trouble but glad your pain went away fairly quickly  Sounds like you have a strong mind-set to see this through so just hang on to your resolve.  I'm not sure who "them" are that you are referring to proving right and inferring that this isn't the program for you but I think this is exactly the right place for you to start.   You might not be able to solve all your problems through diet, sometimes medications are definitely called for, but you can get a lot of information from an elimination diet followed by structured re-introductions.  And that information will help you to find the right medical providers for you.  Hope you were able to determine what food caused the problem.

Doing a W30 or any kind of elimination/re-introduction takes a lot of work and belief in the process.  I have a co-worker who has Celiac and RA; she is on high-powered medications but has never researched auto-immunity protocols.    Some people get so hung up on which scientific study is right or wrong that they miss the whole point.  Keep going strong!

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right on, bpaitsel about those who miss the point entirely. I know someone (friend of a friend) who is all into synthetic medicine and willfully stubborn in her denial that food might have something do with her arthritis. "Arthritis is inherited. My whole family has it. Food had nothing to do with it," she says while slurping down a grande latte with whole milk and tons of sugar. Augh.

Also right on about using medication along with food changes if needed and maybe just for a while. I know to heal my gut I take all sorts of supps including curcumin and L-glutamine, vit D, vit A just to mention a few. I also take a very low dosage antibiotic every night for motility (helps the small intestine work right in pushing food through and it's essential for people who are prone to SIBO to take this for at least a year). I get it. I'm on it.

So good for you again, Misslindy! Hope you make it to the beach! HOpe you find the right doc and some good support.

Today is last day of my W29. Woohoooooo! I'm making roasted veggies for tomorrow  :) and feel really good and want to make it through the day clean and clear. Did 1.5 hours of yoga yesterday. Today am going to run and do a bit of yoga stretching. Tomorrow there is a 10 a.m. yoga class at a studio I've been wanting to try out and I'm grateful to have the time, space, energy to do that before heading over to the feast. Gotta go shopping for ings now. 

Stay real, stay strong! xo

bronnyd and bpaitsel, thanks so much for your support.

I had just come back from the doctor who has so understanding of how to interpret blood results and no understanding of 'food as medicine'. I was so furious. I may have to go back and apologize for my outburst but I do get angry that professionals are so stuck in the old model of nutrition and so determined to see black and white. I went to a person who is supposedly a personal trainer, with nutritional background and she is the one who told me this diet may not be right for me--her idea is to exercise until you drop and eat small meals 6 times a day. I am not prepared to do that. 

I shall continue with the AI protocol and in three months redo the blood tests to see if there is a shift. For now I am relying on how I feel and perhaps think about some supplements, I already know I can't tolerate Vit D so hopefully I can get in the ocean for some water and sun!

BTW--I don't have far to go to the beach, about 100 feet or less! Just need a few days to warm up the water then I can be in all the time. I used to go in year round but then it got so cold I couldn't face it in our winter. It is brilliant in front of our house, when the tide is in it is just a few steps into the water and it is deep enough to swim. I know how fortunate we are.

Thank you again, I so appreciate having a place to vent and calm down. I do feel I am on the right path so will keep on. xxxL

misslindy - I hear ya about the doctor not "getting it".  Unfortunately, they forget that Hippocrates also said "let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food".  As far as the personal trainer, her nutritional background could have come from as little as a 2-day, or less, certification course where they just learn the same out-dated information.  I think anyone who has studied W30, paleo or autoimmunity protocol information is more qualified to say they have "nutritional background"!

misslindy - I hear ya about the doctor not "getting it".  Unfortunately, they forget that Hippocrates also said "let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food".  As far as the personal trainer, her nutritional background could have come from as little as a 2-day, or less, certification course where they just learn the same out-dated information.  I think anyone who has studied W30, paleo or autoimmunity protocol information is more qualified to say they have "nutritional background"!

Agreed! I may have been experiencing KILL ALL THINGS at the time, but I do get impatient with such ignorance--even more, lack of curiosity to expand their knowledge.

Am a bit happier now and am taking myself off to read a book, will tackle larger issues tomorrow.  :)

Miss Lindy, I am here to join the chorus cheering you on. You hit it right on the target when you said that you are listening to your body as the main evidence of how well or not well you are doing. WE KNOW OUR TRUTHS...and then, by living by them, we teach others such things are possible. You are showing all of us how to be brave and sustain in the face of resistance and ignorance. Educate your doctor and it may benefit a patient who comes after you! I bow to your persistence and inner wisdom....and then I feel envious that you live to close to the beach! Excellent. Nothing better.

Bronnyd, congrats on completing your program. I know tomorrow is but a brief pause...and I look forward to meeting up with you after to get back on the train. BTW, I found BOTH kinds of persimmons today at the health food store....still exploring but I LOVE them. And your yoga and running program is impressive! bravo?

Happy Thanksgiving everyone....

Wow it's so great to read all your posts! Right on, Misslindy for telling your doc (NOT God) what you think and staying strong. Right on, Bpaitsel bout the certification training this personal trainer most likely had in nutrition. And if it's an actual degree, then she/he needs to take a few more classes, update their research.

I searched for a while before finding the right doc who is a Godsend. I'm making the whole doc office GF cookies for the Holidays. :)

Sometimes the search for the right kind of guidance and support can feel daunting but keep putting it out there, keep open and it will be almost like the answers to the right people will fall into your lap. Let the other stuff just go out the window like little mosquitoes flying towards the zapper. Obsessing over people who are not helpful only supports the unconscious behavior.

Instead, do what Merge said - keep showing the world your truth, learning, courage. You could be planting a few seeds - it was several of those seeds from difference sources that got me on the right track.

SO I made it! Went out last night and was so tempted to get a drinkydrink but I had tea and soda water. And soup/salad for dinner. Today, I'm partaking in the joyful feast at around 3ish but until then - I had a little sausage and some greens for breaky with green tea. Yum. Going to a yoga class with a couple friends this morning and then off to the feast!

Happy Thanksgiving and Day everyone! xo

Wow, I missed some things while I've been off.  Miss Lindy, it would have been excusable if you had hit your doc in the head with a brick. :)  Several years ago I had gone to the doc to find out what the heck was going on.  I was exhausted, gaining weight while I was doing hard physical labor several hours a day and I was eating less than my tiny daughter.  I spent 20 minutes going over my diet and activity level (I had been keeping a journal trying to figure out what was going on) and my health fair test results which showed a sluggish thyroid, otherwise healthy.  After all that conversation, the doc looked at me and said "You're too fat.  Eat less and exercise more. That's all you need." 

I never went back.  In fact, I didn't go to a doctor again for nearly 10 years.  Finding the right doc is such a difficult thing and even some of the good ones have to be convinced by test results performed in their own labs of the benefits of diet. 

Bronnyd, congrats on the smaller pants size - score!

We made it to Wyoming and have been here at the folks for a couple days for the holiday - tomorrow we head off for Texas, a two day driv to get home. :)  I feel the need for beach myself.  We're about 45 minutes away from a clean one in Houston, closer if we go on a job on the gulf.  Can't wait. :)  When I get back to my desktop instead of this tiny notepad I will have to get caught up on all the posts.  Hope everyone had a good holiday, mine has been GREAT. :

:D Cynthia I like what you said about hitting doc in head with brick. :P Sometimes it does feel that way...I'm glad you moved on from your own stupid ignorant doctor. 

So Thanksgiving weekend was awesome and fun and wonderful and I was so unrealistic about eating for just one day and then back on W30. It has been four days of eating what I want and I feel pretty good despite the treats. Kept up the exercise for sure. Did a morning TG yoga class and ran for three of the four days. Back to paleo and reintro today. Fri/sat/sun were much more mindful in eating than Thursday, which was a free for all  - most of it good whole food anyhow. I did have a couple pieces of pie and stuffing. And wine. OMG so nice. Saturday I went to a surprise Bday party for a friend and had wine and a few cookies there as well as some really good deviled eggs. 

I'm back on track the next five days with whole food paleo eating only and then next weekend intro tomato. I want to make the chocolate chili and see if I can handle that again. I think my gut is healed enough to handle some tomato and chili spice at least a bit. If not, my housemates will enjoy it at least. I would like to reintro homemade 24 hour yogurt but in the past, I have found that I just eat too much of it. I can handle about 1-2 cups a day, but no more than that. So am going to wait until my habits are a bit more established. I'll reintro cheese after tomato - mostly manchego and goat cheese. 

Stay warm everyone! xob

Hi

Cynthia, I love your comment about hitting the doc with a brick--still laughing and imagining it and not only that doctor but also several others. I line them up in my imagination and throw things at them! Mostly words of wisdom. I started with hard things then tried to educate them. 

In spite of all your support and comments I fell down the well. I did go off plan, not badly but enough that I wasn't pleased with myself and the saddest thing is I didn't enjoy it. I was just feeling so discouraged. But, have hauled myself up and my 'The Paleo Approach' arrived today so have been reading and absorbing information. I haven't been eating offal, and she says we need to do that at least five meals a week. So I bought some liver and pork mince, cut up the liver, added shredded carrot, spinach, onion, salt and mixed it all together, then froze it into separate patties--six meals! Done, easy breakfast with a few more veg and bone broth--don't you all wish you could come for breakfast??? You are welcome.

Happy December--remember in all the rush to look after yourselves. Food first! xxxL

MissLindy, I totally understand about not being happy with yourself for going off plan, but you learned something very important by not enjoying it.  Next time it won't be the temptation it was. :)

I missed the part about the offal - I am a huge liver fan, no problem adding it in. I like the sound of your patties, I think I will have to try them.  I love having premade things for quick breakfast.  You'd really be laughing if you opened the door one day and found the group of us standing there with plates in hand. :D

In all the travelling, I definitely remembered to keep the right food over the holiday.  The folks were very supportive and we all had a good food conversation while we were getting dinner ready.  I even carried a shopping bag in the moving truck with my W30 foods so I wouldn't get caught out on the trip.  And it did help, I got to the other end of all the travelling without that queasy, icky, tired "I need some real food" feeling I used to have after a couple days in the car.

post-71554-0-26122000-1449116542_thumb.j

Had to share this - my brother brought the machines over, so this was my exercise during the holiday.  Definitely some core training there, lol.  That and chasing my very speedy grand daughter all over mom's house.  The little rascal has got stairs down like nobody's business!!

MissLindy, I totally understand about not being happy with yourself for going off plan, but you learned something very important by not enjoying it.  Next time it won't be the temptation it was. :)

I missed the part about the offal - I am a huge liver fan, no problem adding it in. I like the sound of your patties, I think I will have to try them.  I love having premade things for quick breakfast.  You'd really be laughing if you opened the door one day and found the group of us standing there with plates in hand. :D

In all the travelling, I definitely remembered to keep the right food over the holiday.  The folks were very supportive and we all had a good food conversation while we were getting dinner ready.  I even carried a shopping bag in the moving truck with my W30 foods so I wouldn't get caught out on the trip.  And it did help, I got to the other end of all the travelling without that queasy, icky, tired "I need some real food" feeling I used to have after a couple days in the car.

I think the AI is a bit more strict than W30 in some ways but not so in others. I guess it is all about motivation. I have had a hard time with liver--but putting it in the mince has worked out beautifully. There are also other parts that are offal that I didn't even think of so will be experimenting. And bone broth is a must for me two or three times a day so that counts too!

You are so clever planning and being prepared.

I have come to the realization that this is more about looking after myself than anything. There is no reason I shouldn't have what I need in the way of food, and what I prefer in the way of food, I would certainly support anyone who had food issues and accommodate them so I no longer am as timid about saying what I need or taking it along with me--I think it saves a problem for the hostess and everyone can have a good time. Certainly would NOT ask a diabetic to down a glass of fizzy drink or eat sugar pie! My reading about AI has reinforced so much of what I am doing and really I feel there is no looking back now.

Off to a Christmas morning tea with my book club. I was feeling a bit silly thinking all I will have is herb tea but I shall have good conversation with others and a morning out as well as a special tea! 

xxxL

Cynthia  - that looks like a lot of fun!  I will actually be glad when we get some snow here.

Miss Lindy - You are so right about having what you need and want as far as food.  Why do we feel like we can't speak up and have food the way we want it to be, especially in a restaurant where we are paying good money?  And if I was hosting someone with special dietary needs I would be delighted if they wanted to bring their compliant food.

MissLindy, that lesson of learning to take care of oneself seems to be a hard one for a lot of us to learn.  I'm still working on it, have to be reminded occasionally that taking care of myself is NOT selfish, it's the only way to be around to care for anyone else.  I have come to the conclusion that people push the foods that are bad for us so they won't feel bad eating it themselves.  It is rather thoughtless, you would not press someone with asthma to go to a perfume sniffing or flower cutting class, so why push someone with food allergies/sensitivities to eat something that causes them ill effects? 

I was feeling pretty pleased with myself on this trip, lol.  It's the first time I've ever managed to do that for myself - I need practice at it. :)  And, frankly, I'm too "thrifty" to buy a week's supply of Epic bars or the like, it was cheaper to make my own.

bpaitsel, that snow was FUN to play in - I used to be the original snow bunny before I got acclimated to the south.  Not so fun when it was time to go home, however. :D  I do sometimes miss the snow, but I get cold way to fast now to want to live up north anymore.  And, now that I'm back home, I walked into my favorite grocery store and found persimmons, plantains, and medjool dates within about 10 steps, lol.  I love the HEB and Central Market stores in TX, lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, all....how about a new thread for our 2016 launch: the Crew Renewed....of the Crew Renews?

My eating plan has blown up. Not totally off plan, but definitely doing a darn good job making myself feel like crap by eating, as Meadow would say, multicrap....even of the somewhat healthy kind. I'm not talking about snickers bars here, but a cappuccino here, a slice of pizza there...you get the picture, and so does my well being...YUCK. How can I indulge in such crazy behavior that leads me to feeling crappy later? insane?

Cheers to you all,

Mere

Hey, all....how about a new thread for our 2016 launch: the Crew Renewed....of the Crew Renews?

My eating plan has blown up. Not totally off plan, but definitely doing a darn good job making myself feel like crap by eating, as Meadow would say, multicrap....even of the somewhat healthy kind. I'm not talking about snickers bars here, but a cappuccino here, a slice of pizza there...you get the picture, and so does my well being...YUCK. How can I indulge in such crazy behavior that leads me to feeling crappy later? insane?

Cheers to you all,

Mere

I like it Merg, count me in! It will most likely be the 8th before I officially start, but I will definitely be following. :-)

Cheers to you all,

Mere

Hi, exciting. I am in.

I like the name suggestion Merg.  I hope to start on 1/1 and am actually looking forward to the structure that comes with it.  Need to re-set and start fresh.  My diet has not been too bad lately except for sugar.  I have had a few instances of accidental exposure to dairy after determining that my knees don't tolerate it.  Very frustrating because in hindsight I could have avoided most of it if I had asked more questions when eating out.  As Cynthia suggested, I am going to try to have activated charcoal around to help.  Right now my system is responding to something it doesn't like because I have had a fair amount of fluid retention for several days that I can't seem to get rid of.  I know the second W30 might even be harder than the first but I think I learned a lot the first time so hope to not have too many days of KILL ALL THINGS!

Thought I would re-post this - good for a laugh!

Another Whole30 Timeline

Day 0  You are full of energy and hope. You have read the rules online and printed your shopping list, you can do this challenge. You decide that you dont need to buy It Starts With Food to do this challenge.

Day 1 OMG your food budget has just doubled. You can't believe anyone can eat healthy on a budget. But you can do this, it's only 30 days.

Day 2 You have banana and egg pancakes for breakfast and you reach for some tuna for lunch. You glance at the ingredients and see soy.THERE IS SOY IN CANNED TUNA?! You search for can I have tuna with soy on the website and find The Official Can I Have guide to the Whole30 that explains all of this. http://whole30.com/?s=Can+I+have. Not only can you not have soy, you can't have banana and egg pancakes because they are considered - sex with your pants on - foods. You immediately buy the ebook It Starts With Food and read it. After reading the book you realize that you are supposed to eat 2 to 3 cups of vegetables and good fats at every meal. You head back to the store for more food.

Days 3 to 7 You feel like a slave to the kitchen because you are constantly chopping, cooking or cleaning. How can anyone live this way? There has to be an easier way. You search online and find The Clothes Make The Girl, Nom Nom Paleo and Stupid Easy Paleo. You see some great recipes and ebooks and you immediately buy them all.

Days 8 - 9 You decide you are going to organize your cooking this week. You have your shopping list and you are ready to get all those exotic compliant ingredients. You go to 4 different stores but you still can't find Red Boat Fish Sauce. You do a big cook up for the week and you are ready!

Day 10 Your friends invite you out for pizza and beer. You are considering it. After all you made it 10 days, you deserve it. You are feeling really cranky and pizza and beer just might make you feel better. You wonder How bad can a little pizza and beer be? Then you find the post "So . . . you're saying you want to quit?" http://whole30.com/?s=I+want+to+quit. And you decline the invitation and stick to the challenge.

Days 11- 14  If you see another egg you are going to scream! You are bored with meat and vegetables and just want some chocolate and alcohol. You are starting to notice all of the food ads on TV and in magazines. How are you going to make it for another three weeks? You are having strange dreams about non compliant food. You actually wake up in a cold sweat thinking that you cheated.

Days 15 to 21 You search the website for some recipes and stumble on the forum "THERE IS A FORUM?!". You find all kinds of interesting tips and support. You read The Crazy Things People Say forum and have a great laugh because you have heard most of these during your challenge.

Days 22 to 30 - You don't really feel any different. You look the same as the day you started. You are tempted to step on the scale to see if you lost any weight. You notice small changes like your acid reflux is gone but your fat jeans are still tight. You wonder if you are going to have to extend this to a Whole60.

Day 30. You made it! You didn't cheat. You feel good and decide to celebrate. You go out for pizza, beer and ice cream. You deserve it.

Day 31 You feel miserable and bloated. You have a massive headache and can barely get out of bed. You decide to do another Whole30.

Oh dear lord, bpaitsel, I am laughing.  There was a good bit of my first experience included in that timeline. :D  My first week... oh... LOL.

I needed that laugh today - apart from what I ate (it was intentional, just earlier than originally planned) making me feel not so good, I had a very un-fun day yesterday followed by an aggravating day today dealing with issues I have no control over (which I hate) and fighting the emotional bear.  I am mostly back together now, going to "hibernate" for the evening, sans hibernation food and pick it up again tomorrow.  My new hibernation buddy is my kindle with earbuds.  For tonight's selection, I believe I will slide off into slumberland to the soothing sounds of "Thunderstorm at the Beach"

MissLindy are you still following the AI?

Hey all, somehow got logged off and couldn't get a password reset. weird, but after some emailing, bugging Tom on his blog, and posting on Whole30 Facebook, I got it fixed! I am back! Having the appendectomy back in Oct thru my body into some craziness. So, thinking about the Whole9 principles and the challenge I halfway did this year, am planning a new and better New Year. The challenge is something I was thinking on redoing in 2016 and am happy to say there are others posting on the challenge thinking the same as I. I'll be hanging out there in 2016 as I gotta whole lotta work to work on.

BTW, found this  Kaldi Greek cooking sauce at our Meijers. It is wow! The only thing making it non compliant is the red wine. I want to try out a few more flavors and then see if I can Whole30ify them by making my own. I used the sauce with ground pork and ground beef, both were yum yum yummy!

Archived